Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Draft!

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Re: The Draft!

1st Round BPA ILB, FS, or TRUE DOMINATE RUN STUFFING NT.

Vita Vea is my early favorite

NT from Washington

https://youtu.be/P2MBuoepc1I

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Roquan Smith announced he's going to the draft. Would be a dynamic pick if available. If you're looking to stop the run, Joisey Jewell wouldn't be a bad consolation prize. I'd rather either than a reach on the "prospective" pick of PSU safety Marcus Allen in the 1st... and I'm a PSU fan. 2nd round, okay.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Im still really puzzled by the lack of desire to upgrade at tight end. Vance has shown you guys enough to:

1) Stay on the field?
    2) Not drop the ball?
    3) Be productive?
    4) Worth the price tag?

He's gonna be a cap hit of $4.6 million-$6.4 million a season for the duration of his contract. I have no doubt that he will be a nice piece for the offense if healthy, but he had so many unrelated injuries throughout the season that im not convinced. Id rather ask him to take a pay cut or get rid of him.

I would love a complete tight end like Fumagalli out of Wisconsin in the 1st round. If we keep Vance and he stays healthy, it still wouldnt be a waste of a pick. Double tight end sets (with both tight ends being monster blockers and receiving threats), sign me up. Our offense will make this year's offense look like a joke

James and Grimble are just terrible. I dont think a single player on the roster is graded on a more generous curve than James. I have no idea why. Is it the cool nick name, the size, the fact that he's from Pitt? The bias needs to be dropped down the garbage disposal

Safety appears to be the highest priority though. Mitchell needs to go ASAP. We dont know if Davis is going to pan out yet
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    It doesn't matter what we draft on defensive players if we still have all the buffoon defensive coaches we have now ! They'll end up ruining the poor kids or not teaching them the correct way to do things and get them injured.
    I am in agreement.

11 good players who are very well coached and play as a unit are often better than more gifted individuals that are out of synch (or play uninspired).

Case in point: Steelers vs. Jags Playoff game

I noticed immediately that the Jags were playing collectively inspired football on both sides of the ball and punched us in the mouth.

We came out lethargic like it was a practice imo.

I also believe great coaches and team camaraderie can inspire this type of great play.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Im still really puzzled by the lack of desire to upgrade at tight end. Vance has shown you guys enough to:

1) Stay on the field?
    2) Not drop the ball?
    3) Be productive?
    4) Worth the price tag?

He's gonna be a cap hit of $4.6 million-$6.4 million a season for the duration of his contract. I have no doubt that he will be a nice piece for the offense if healthy, but he had so many unrelated injuries throughout the season that im not convinced. Id rather ask him to take a pay cut or get rid of him.

I would love a complete tight end like Fumagalli out of Wisconsin in the 1st round. If we keep Vance and he stays healthy, it still wouldnt be a waste of a pick. Double tight end sets (with both tight ends being monster blockers and receiving threats), sign me up. Our offense will make this year's offense look like a joke

James and Grimble are just terrible. I dont think a single player on the roster is graded on a more generous curve than James. I have no idea why. Is it the cool nick name, the size, the fact that he's from Pitt? The bias needs to be dropped down the garbage disposal
    I would love to pick up Andrews but he won't be there at 28 and I can't see the steelers reaching in R1 when there is a pressing need at ILB. But hopefully R2 or R3. Here's a list of TE

https://www.drafttek.com/2018-NFL-Dr...2018-Draft.asp

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

i would draft qb..mason rudolph
    olb.. dupree replacement.guy is like useless to me..that position 1-2 years good then they dissappear(woodley)
    safety
    ilb
    nt
    o line
    missed not having timmons around

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

It would be a nice luxury, but the defense still needs every early pick we can throw at it at this point, imho. Get the TE, WR and OL help 4th or later.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    It would be a nice luxury, but the defense still needs every early pick we can throw at it at this point, imho. Get the TE, WR and OL help 4th or later.
    im curious to see people's strategic analysis on the tight end situation though. If were picking that late, clearly we arent counting on a new tight end to contribute as a starter. I dont think people are realizing just how expensive Vance is. And he's missed 22 games in 5 seasons. He had 4 separate injuries this past season alone, that might mean something different to everyone.

James and Grimble suck at everything. If we keep Mcdonald, were gambling hard with his health/pricetag. If we cut Mcdonald and dont get a tight end early, were conceding a lot of mediocrity in one position

Again, not the biggest of concerns, but for these reasons I definitely think tight end should be considered a serious option if value dictates as much at the 28th pick
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

1) Stay on the field?
    2) Not drop the ball?
    3) Be productive?
    4) Worth the price tag?

Safety appears to be the highest priority though. Mitchell needs to go ASAP. We dont know if Davis is going to pan out yet
    As I said in another thread...

Fumigalli has been my R2 pick for four months. But, that game showed me that we HAVE to address the defense (ILB, FS).

Plus, BB seems to like McDonald.

With Ben's declaration he's in it for another three years or so, drafting a QB now would be wrong since their contract would only be 5 years. We wouldn't have seen enough out of him (one season) to sign him to a long term contract when the Steelers like to do so (before the last year). That being said, three years is also enough time to see what Joshua Dobbs can do and how he'll develop. So, unless a stud dropped to us for some inexplicable reason, there's no reason to draft a QB right now.

So, the focus shifts to the defense. Where are we weakest? ILB. Second weakest? OLB. Third weakest? I know people will say safety, or CBs, but I don't see it. We are at the worst, average. Our CBs and safeties were not beat today, except by one (lucky) long pass. So, after ILB and OLB, I think the focus shifts back to the offense and a TE. I like what MacDonald showed us, but I didn't like how inoften he was able to show it. So, that'd be my third in level of necessity. However, I'd be willing to forgo that for a power running back that can compliment Bell and just pound the ball up the middle when necessary. There is NO REASON with this o line that we can't gain a yard on 4th and 1. Thus, call that third and fourth level of necessity, interchangeable. From there, it's a crap shoot. If a safety comes along, pick him up. If another CB comes along, pick him up. But really, we are knee deep in decent to good CBs right now. For those who are down on Burns, give it time. It was his sophomore season. There's a reason they call it the sophomore slump. I think we'll see some good growth in his third year.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Todd McShay has the Steelers selecting Dallas Goedert with the 31st overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.
    https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...raft-112338919

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post

Todd McShay has the Steelers selecting Dallas Goedert with the 31st overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.
    https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...raft-112338919

this will make Shoes very happy

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

With Ben saying he wants to play for 3 more seasons, you can flat out rule on them taking a QB, especially taking Dobbs last year.

S/ILB
    ILB/S
    TE(With Vance most likely being brought back, not sure how high they take one. Good TE class though, I'd look to take advantage of the depth)
    OL

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    With Ben saying he wants to play for 3 more seasons, you can flat out rule on them taking a QB, especially taking Dobbs last year.
    Agreed

I’m tempted to take Fumagalli in R2... but, which position (ILB or FS) has to wait until R3???

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Agreed

I’m tempted to take Fumagalli in R2... but, which position (ILB or FS) has to wait until R3???
    The safety free agent market is deep and talented. If we have to wait, im waiting on safety and going ILB early (assuming we pick up a Mitchell replacement in FA)

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    With Ben's declaration he's in it for another three years or so, drafting a QB now would be wrong since their contract would only be 5 years. We wouldn't have seen enough out of him (one season) to sign him to a long term contract when the Steelers like to do so (before the last year). That being said, three years is also enough time to see what Joshua Dobbs can do and how he'll develop. So, unless a stud dropped to us for some inexplicable reason, there's no reason to draft a QB right now.

So, the focus shifts to the defense. Where are we weakest? ILB. Second weakest? OLB. Third weakest? I know people will say safety, or CBs, but I don't see it. We are at the worst, average. Our CBs and safeties were not beat today, except by one (lucky) long pass. So, after ILB and OLB, I think the focus shifts back to the offense and a TE. I like what MacDonald showed us, but I didn't like how inoften he was able to show it. So, that'd be my third in level of necessity. However, I'd be willing to forgo that for a power running back that can compliment Bell and just pound the ball up the middle when necessary. There is NO REASON with this o line that we can't gain a yard on 4th and 1. Thus, call that third and fourth level of necessity, interchangeable. From there, it's a crap shoot. If a safety comes along, pick him up. If another CB comes along, pick him up. But really, we are knee deep in decent to good CBs right now. For those who are down on Burns, give it time. It was his sophomore season. There's a reason they call it the sophomore slump. I think we'll see some good growth in his third year.
    Great post. Our secondary is actually coming together, but when you give any QB (yes even Bortles) that much time with no pressure to throw and let guys run wide open in the middle of the field ANY QB in the NFL is going to look great. I mean look at what Ben did to the Jags vaunted defense with time. He hung 42 points on them.

But we're stuck with Haden and Mitchell anyhow. If we could just get pressure on the QB again our secondary won't have to cover to 7 seconds.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Agreed

I'll take a ILB very high if Shazier can no longer play(I believe we'll hear more news within 2 months)

There is a few ILB's I like in rounds 3/4

Jerome Baker, OSU
    Lorenzo Carter, Georgia
    Skai Moore, South Carolina(tries not to throw up

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

The safety free agent market is deep and talented. If we have to wait, im waiting on safety and going ILB early (assuming we pick up a Mitchell replacement in FA)
    I 100% agree on this, the FA safeties this year are plentiful. Replace Mitchell with a FA and then we free up a draft slot. For the Draft I think we go with best avail between ILB and OLB for the first pick, second would be the one we didn't get in the first, then a NT. After that I don't care. But we need to absolutely hit on our ILB pick.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Which offenses give us the biggest fits defensively? What is it that they do that we don't have the personnel to stop? We have a stellar Dline, with quality depth and rotation. VW and Watt played well all season, but the rest of the LB corp were mostly footnotes. The CBs were a very nice surprise this year. Haden, Sutton, Hilton, Burns, and Gay, all made significant plays. Mitchell and Davis both played out of position and missed angles, allowing for big plays in every game.

Thus, I would focus on upgrading our LB corp, and safeties. IMO, Mitchell and Davis both need to be upgraded. Time to get serious about the safety position. I do not expect Shazier back, and even if he does make it back, expect some missed games. We need a new starter and depth at ILB. Watt showed that he can be a special player. Can he move to ILB? If so, then we need to draft/FA 2 OLBs, that will need the time to learn, something that is not popular for this forum. Since this is a draft thread, I will go with BPA in the first, still. With all of the QB hungry teams this draft, positions of need should be a little deeper than usual.

Going to be a monster. Mind you he's almost 6'5"

Junior Member Array title="Dinse is an unknown quantity at this point">

Hey all. First post here. Long time board creeper...

Anyway - really hoping that we pick up some good defensive players in the draft. I’m thinking they really need to not just focus on skill, but try and find players like Polamalu who don’t just talk trash, but make statements with their play. Seems like a culture change is neeeded. We really need guys who can keep their mouth shut (unlike Williams and Mitchell) and can lead through action.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dinse View Post

Anyway - really hoping that we pick up some good defensive players in the draft. I’m thinking they really need to not just focus on skill, but try and find players like Polamalu who don’t just talk trash, but make statements with their play. Seems like a culture change is neeeded. We really need guys who can keep their mouth shut (unlike Williams and Mitchell) and can lead through action.
    There's a problem with Vince Williams running his mouth?

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dinse View Post

Thanks for finally posting. If you have some players you think fit that mold, don't hesitate to bring their names up on here for discussion. There will be many opinions about each one, I'm sure.

Here's a name to throw out there in a draft discussion. If there will be no Bell next season, could this guy be Bell 2.0?

http://www.espn.com/college-football...29828/lj-scott

He never put up Bell's 2012 yardage, but he never got 300+ attempts either. Still an impressive size, speed, and yards/carry. Anybody watch this guy at MichState?

Going to be a monster. Mind you he's almost 6'5"

Yes... yes, he is.

We have discussed how Rashaan Evans can play OLB/ ILB... well, Edmunds is even more versatile. I'd love ot see him paired up on the same defense as TJ Watt.

Let's add his brother, too.

R1: Tremaine Edmunds, ILB, VaTech
    R2: Terrell Edmunds, S, VaTech

(Alas... Tremaine should be gone by 28.)

Yes... yes, he is.

We have discussed how Rashaan Evans can play OLB/ ILB... well, Edmunds is even more versatile. I'd love ot see him paired up on the same defense as TJ Watt.

Edmunds already going high as 10 in mocks.

No shot are landing him. I'm not even sure we can get Evans. He's going to test well at the combine.

Edmunds already going high as 10 in mocks.

No shot are landing him. I'm not even sure we can get Evans. He's going to test well at the combine.
    Yep and yep.

Roquan, Tremaine, and Rashaan should all be gone by 28.

My sleeper is Leighton Vander Esch.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Yep and yep.

Roquan, Tremaine, and Rashaan should all be gone by 28.

My sleeper is Leighton Vander Esch.
    Malik Jefferson has shazier like speed.some of these guys mentioned have to be around considering all the teams that need qbs

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Malik Jefferson has shazier like speed.some of these guys mentioned have to be around considering all the teams that need qbs
    If Jefferson can somehow turn his other-worldly skills into NFL production, he would be in the top 5 of this draft.

With the right coach (Belichick...ugh) he could be as good as we’ve seen in a long, long time.

As far as one of the ILBs dropping to the Steelers... I’m hoping that as many QBs, OTs, WRs, and CBs go in the top 27 as possible (pushing the ILBs and/or Ss down to us).

Yes... yes, he is.

VT + Tomlin + a dilly dilly = #1 pick. Unless a good TE is available.