Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The Draft!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: The Draft!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yes... yes, he is.

We have discussed how Rashaan Evans can play OLB/ ILB... well, Edmunds is even more versatile. I'd love ot see him paired up on the same defense as TJ Watt.

Let's add his brother, too.

R1: Tremaine Edmunds, ILB, VaTech
    R2: Terrell Edmunds, S, VaTech

(Alas... Tremaine should be gone by 28.)

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

I had no idea anyone actually saw me do that!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Breakdown of Jefferson. Lack of coverage is a concern but I like some of the tackles he made

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Last edited by BlackAndGold; 01-23-2018 at 06:40 AM.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

1. Safety (Justin Reid?)
    2. Jerome Baker, ILB, OSU (he may be considered a early 2nd round pick)
    3. Darius Leonard, ILB, SCS

Revamp the ILB group with fast LB's, which is needed in today's NFL. You'll see how much the defense improves by doing so.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I like RB Nick Chubb in the 2nd.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Bell is going to be tagged.

Maybe a late round RB.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Even with the tag....depending on how they feel about Conner at this point. Which how could they know much as little as he played. If taking a RB, set your sights on 2-3 that fit what we do, and take the best option, in the round that makes sense for his value to US. Bell is probably gone 2019, Conner and 'RBX' will maybe play as a tandem starting then. You still want the quality RB, not MrBackup.

They used a 3rd round pick on a Conner to back up Bell. I'd be surprised if they took another RB highly to back up Conner(or vice versa) & Bell.

Ridley could be re-signed which will be cheap, Fitz will more than likely be back. Running back is low on the priority list.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    They used a 3rd round pick on a RB to back up Bell. I'd be surprised if they took another RB highly to back up Conner(or vice versa) & Bell.

Ridley could be re-signed which will be cheap, Fitz will more than likely be back. Running back is low on the priority list.
    You may be right. I think it depends on Bell right now though. Currently, the only RB we have under contract(unless I'm missing something recent) is Conner. I think it is a higher priority today than TE or even Safety.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

DEFENSE COACHING changes !

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Bell is going to be tagged.

Maybe a late round RB.
    Salary cap is a bigger mess than I realized until I looked at it more closely - tough to fit Bell's tag cost under it with other 2018 expenses

RB in second round unless Bell is signed to a long term deal by draft day

ILB in first round

Take care of safety replacement for Mitchell (released for both production and $5 million cap savings) through free agency

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Salary cap is a bigger mess than I realized until I looked at it more closely - tough to fit Bell's tag cost under it with other 2018 expenses

ILB in first round

Take care of safety replacement for Mitchell (released for both production and $5 million cap savings) through free agency
    I expect room to be made by contract restructures and a Ben extension(which would lower his cap hit correct? not a cap expert). I just don't see them not tagging Bell.

Cutting MM would also surprise me. Can't see Colbert going into the draft with just Golden and Davis starting as the safeties, not his M.O.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll handle this. I'm sure some 'report' will come out about this situation soon.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I expect room to be made by contract restructures and a Ben extension(which would lower his cap hit correct? not a cap expert). I just don't see them not tagging Bell.

Cutting MM would also surprise me. Can't see Colbert going into the draft with just Golden and Davis starting as the safeties, not his M.O.

It'll be interesting to see how they'll handle this. I'm sure some 'report' will come out about this situation soon.
    Mitchell has to go for the cap savings alone - someone will be signed for ILB or safety in free agency - will not expect to fill both through draft

FYI are two links to the cap situation - in hindsight Steelers put all their chips on winning in 2017

Do you think the Steelers are sitting pretty regarding their salary cap situation? Well, think again.
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ike-tomlin-nfl

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I like the other Georgia back Sony michel due to Home run potential. Dude is fast. Kerryon johnson good also. I would rather see them wait til later rounds for those guys than waste early pick on a Bryce love, or the guy from LSU, Barkley obviously will be long gone. There are some solid rb’s that will be available in rounds 3 and 4

ILB in first round

That's the golden ticket for the team. The tag can always be revoked if a RB falls to the Steelers. 'Bell gets franchise tagged, Bell 2.0 gets drafted, Steelers untag Bell, Bell is now officially on the streets'. IMO, this is a worse case scenario because we just let the best RB walk for no return. But, it seems to me, this will be the scenario, OR Bell plays for 1 more year on the franchise tag. I see no other option unless the most unlikely deal gets made.

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    I like the other Georgia back Sony michel due to Home run potential. Dude is fast. Kerryon johnson good also. I would rather see them wait til later rounds for those guys than waste early pick on a Bryce love, or the guy from LSU, Barkley obviously will be long gone. There are some solid rb’s that will be available in rounds 3 and 4
    I'm a Michel fan also. He could end up a Steeler, IMO. If we do cut ties with Bell this offseason, I would like to go to a 2 back system, more how the Titans, Saints, Pats, Jags, etc, use their RBs.

One problem with waiting is we don't currently have a 4th round pick. So to get a premier skills RB, we would need to draft him in the first 3 rounds. Or try to land a diamond in the rough in the 5th round. As of right now, we only have Conner under contract. I think I see a bigger need at RB than the majority on here do.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie;633593[B
    ]I like the other Georgia back Sony michel due to Home run potential.[/B] Dude is fast. Kerryon johnson good also. I would rather see them wait til later rounds for those guys than waste early pick on a Bryce love, or the guy from LSU, Barkley obviously will be long gone. There are some solid rb’s that will be available in rounds 3 and 4
    Me too.

At the start of the college season I would have also said Chubb.

At the end, I liked what I saw from Michel.....more big play potential.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Me too.

At the start of the college season I would have also said Chubb.

At the end, I liked what I saw from Michel.....more big play potential.
    Yep - Chubb and Michel both had big days against the chump Oklahoma defense but when Georgia came up against Alabama and the quality of athletes seen in the NFL Chubb had problems (18 carries/25 yards) but Michel performed (14 caries/98 yards) - some UGA fans were frustrated Georgia coaches stuck with the two back system in the championship game rather than just going with Michel later in the game

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm a Michel fan also. He could end up a Steeler, IMO. If we do cut ties with Bell this offseason, I would like to go to a 2 back system, more how the Titans, Saints, Pats, Jags, etc, use their RBs.

One problem with waiting is we don't currently have a 4th round pick. So to get a premier skills RB, we would need to draft him in the first 3 rounds. Or try to land a diamond in the rough in the 5th round. As of right now, we only have Conner under contract. I think I see a bigger need at RB than the majority on here do.
    I think rb over te, this year not good for te’s. I have no problem with mc Donald and jj as te next year.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post

I like Michel much more than Chubb as well.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

1. Safety (Justin Reid?)
    He is my favorite safety in this draft (besides, you know, Minkah Fitzpatrick). He can play FS or SS (or CB). His versatility allows DCs to get creative (which can confuse QBs).

On one play, he is in the box (while Davis drops back as the FS). On second down, he covers a receiver. On third down, he plays centerfield. And... since Davis is equally as versatile (although restricted, IMO, due to Mitchell not being versitile), you’d have a scary good pair of safeties.

He is my favorite safety in this draft (besides, you know, Minkah Fitzpatrick). He can play FS or SS (or CB). His versatility allows DCs to get creative (which can confuse QBs).

On one play, he is in the box (while Davis drops back as the FS). On second down, he covers a receiver. On third down, he plays centerfield. And... since Davis is equally as versatile (although restricted, IMO, due to Mitchell not being versitile), you’d have a scary good pair of safeties.
    I watched just one Stanford game this year and I seen Reid make a nice interception. Wish there was some YouTube breakdowns I could watch so I can see him more of him(May have to wait for Steelers Depot to do it for me lol). His versatility that you mentioned is one thing I hear a lot about him. Which is what you want in a safety for this defense.

I'm also interested in Deshone Elliott from Texas. 9 career interceptions in college, 6 were in 2017, two of them went for TD's. Created 3 forced fumbles in 2017. Flat out ball hawk. I'll be paying attention in how he'll run at the combine.

- - - Updated - - -

Mitchell has to go for the cap savings alone - someone will be signed for ILB or safety in free agency - will not expect to fill both through draft

FYI are two links to the cap situation - in hindsight Steelers put all their chips on winning in 2017

Do you think the Steelers are sitting pretty regarding their salary cap situation? Well, think again.
    https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ike-tomlin-nfl

https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/pittsburgh-steelers/
    "in hindsight Steelers put all their chips on winning in 2017"

That is just hurts to hear.

Looks like the FO has a lot of work ahead of them.

Adding another longshot to drop to the Steelers. Harold Landry, Edge, BC. More of a pass rusher than Bud, but maybe not as skilled in space. In the to keep an eye on file.

https://www.bloggingtheboys.com/2017...arcus-lawrence

Hercules Mata'afa. This article even suggests he's another TJ Watt.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NFL_Draft/c...cules_mataafa/

Sorry if this article is a repost. Good info on LBers with highlights and discussion.

http://waitingfornextyear.com/2018/0...es-linebacker/
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 01-24-2018 at 12:15 PM.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

In case it gets lost, I’ll reiterate:

I’m all for drafting Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond in R3.

I know now that we have other needs, but he’s my “low cost/high reward/possible franchise QB” of this draft.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

so which long snapper do we draft this year?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    so which long snapper do we draft this year?
    Keep an eye on Ike Powell from Auburn at the Senior Bowl this week.

With BB coming back, unless one of the top-tier QBs drops to 30, I could see them waiting until a later round to draft a QB. I was on the TE train until today (sorry, Shoes); the middle of the defense HAS to be the priority. Plus, BB seems to like McDonald.

As of 1/14/18...

R1: Justin Reid, FS, Stanford
    R2: Leighton Vander Esch, ILB, Boise St.
    R3: Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond

or

R1: Malik Jefferson, ILB, Texas
    R2: Jordan Whitehead, S, Pitt
    R3: Kyle Lauletta, QB, Richmond
    There are a TON of really good safeties that should go in R2. So, I’m thinking...

R1: ILB
    Jefferson, Vander Esch, Evans
    (whichever one is available)

R2: FS
    Trayvon Henderson, Hawaii
    Terrell Edmunds, VaTech
    Kyzir White, WVU
    Jordan Whitehead, Pitt
    (There are like five other possible FS picks. We should see a dozen safeties go in the second round/early third round.)

R3: QB
    Kyle Lauletta, Richmond
    (he has been tearing up the Senior Bowl)