Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Priority should be replacing BUTLER not HALEY

Priority should be replacing BUTLER not HALEY

As the OC hate is beginning to come in strong, I have to say, hold on a second.

People are bitching about the 4th and 1 sweeps. I agree. Stupid plays. Push the ball upfield. However, this team dropped 41 points on the top rated defense in the NFL, and a defense that statistically, ranks up there with the best in the history of the NFL. Think about that for a second.

On the other hand, Blake BORTLES led his offense to dropping 38 points on this defense. He marched them down the field time and time again 14/26 for 214 yards and a TD. BORTLES! But that's not the worst of it. The real problem? Failure to adjust. Failure to pick up the RB swinging out of the backfield. Failure to move to man on third down when zone clearly wasn't working. Failure to leave a spy in the middle to stop Bortles from using his one good weapon—his feet.

In this offseason, the priority should be REPLACING BUTLER.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Re: Priority should be replacing BUTLER not HALEY

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

People are bitching about the 4th and 1 sweeps. I agree. Stupid plays. Push the ball upfield. However, this team dropped 41 points on the top rated defense in the NFL, and a defense that statistically, ranks up there with the best in the history of the NFL. Think about that for a second.

On the other hand, Blake BORTLES led his offense to dropping 38 points on this defense. He marched them down the field time and time again 14/26 for 214 yards and a TD. BORTLES! But that's not the worst of it. The real problem? Failure to adjust. Failure to pick up the RB swinging out of the backfield. Failure to move to man on third down when zone clearly wasn't working. Failure to leave a spy in the middle to stop Bortles from using his one good weapon—his feet.

In this offseason, the priority should be REPLACING BUTLER.
    Yes everything you listed is right

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Both need to go. They'll never win another super bowl unless both get fired

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

All THREE need to go. Did anyone not see how the onside kick was executed??

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

That was more a product of the talent on this offense than anything Haley did. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing Haley getting bailed out by the ridiculous amount of talent that this offense has.

But yeah, we need to get rid of the LeBeau disciple as well.

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Both need to go. They'll never win another super bowl unless both get fired
    Sorry, but 42 points should be enough to win an NFL game. I see no justification for Haley being fired. Yes, I hated those sweeps as well, but the offense put up stupidly good numbers today.

EDIT: No justification, but it won't bother me if he is gone as long as OC isn't the focus.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I would say Butler before Haley also. The defense is completely lost out there. This is also on Tomlin. I don't think Tomlin's players will ever be disciplined to play consistent football. The one thing you can count on with Tomlin's players is they will have their choreographed dances down perfectly.
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    That was more a product of the talent on this offense than anything Haley did. Frankly, I'm tired of seeing Haley getting bailed out by the ridiculous amount of talent that this offense has.

But yeah, we need to get rid of the LeBeau disciple as well.
    That may be. And if Haley is gone, I won't cry in my milk any time soon. However, I'll be very upset if this team makes the OC the focus in the offseason. We need to focus on replacing the DC.

For anyone who's about to defend Butler through the "Our best LB was out" argument (which is true, Shazier was injured), I don't buy it. While not at the same talent level, Fort and Mat... played well today. The problem wasn't a missing LB. It was a missing gameplan.

Seriously, how does the first guy through the hole not blow up the FB? Moreover, how do you then let him walk into the endzone for an easy catch?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I would say Butler before Haley also. The defense is completely lost out there. This is also on Tomlin. I don't think Tomlin's players will ever be disciplined to play consistent football. The one thing you can count on with Tomlin's players is they will have their choreographed dances down perfectly.
    Here's what really kills me. The CBs and safeties played a really good game. Bortles got lucky on one deep throw. The LBs and Line tightened down really well after the first quarter. The problem... the ENTIRE problem after that, IMO, was the scheming. We lost by scheme today. Not by players.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Yes, no matter how much I hate Haley, our offense is still great despite him. The defense however isn't, sack record be damned. I've always been a big fan of defense over offense and I want to see that nasty Steelers defense that I've always loved in the past. Butler's just not capable of getting us there. He needs to go and all of the defensive assistants need to go also. None of them are worth keeping.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Haley wasn't to blame, the offense scored 42 points. Defense really shit the bed on this one

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

This game is different if we have Shazier. The replacements can't hold his jock. Season was over after he went down.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think the Steelers made a mistake by promising Butler the DC position before Lebeau left. They should have had full interviews from as many coaches as possible. At this point tho I'd also give Grandma Fichtner a look and other outside OC if Ben would dilly dilly up and return next season.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Butler before Haley but preferably at the same time. Realistically neither will probably be gone. Haley at least makes some good adjustments to get things turned around, Butler does at times as well but still, still sticks with shit that hasn't been effective in a long, long time. He had a week to prepare for Blake Bortles, and Bortles and his inaccuracies made Butler look like the fool he really is. This is a talented group of players that play pretty good despite a handicap by goofball.

Butler never should have just been handed the job. I never wanted him as DC, it was time for a change about 5 years before Lebeau actually was done. Not a continuation of a tired system.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Agree not a Haley fan but the real problem is Butler and he needs to go.

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    This game is different if we have Shazier. The replacements can't hold his jock. Season was over after he went down.
    Nope, game is the exact same if we have Shazier, except that maybe the Jags don't have a 100 yard rusher. The problem with this game was the scheming, not ​the players.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The offense is successful because of the high-end talented players, not Haley and his inability to call plays

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

That may be. And if Haley is gone, I won't cry in my milk any time soon. However, I'll be very upset if this team makes the OC the focus in the offseason. We need to focus on replacing the DC.

For anyone who's about to defend Butler through the "Our best LB was out" argument (which is true, Shazier was injured), I don't buy it. While not at the same talent level, Fort and Mat... played well today. The problem wasn't a missing LB. It was a missing gameplan.

Seriously, how does the first guy through the hole not blow up the FB? Moreover, how do you then let him walk into the endzone for an easy catch?

- - - Updated - - -

Here's what really kills me. The CBs and safeties played a really good game. Bortles got lucky on one deep throw. The LBs and Line tightened down really well after the first quarter. The problem... the ENTIRE problem after that, IMO, was the scheming. We lost by scheme today. Not by players.
    I don't think the players have been taught the scheme. It looks like schoolyard defense.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

The offense is successful because of the high-end talented players, not Haley and his inability to call plays
    Bingo...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Steelers win 13 games. Win the North, Sweep the North. Score 42 points against the Jags defense. Not time to fire anyone. Just relax.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerchad is a jewel in the rough">

when you consider the talent we have on offense vs. the defense, somebody should get fired on the defensive side of the ball. Either the scouts or coordinator or both gotta go.
    We've spent our #1 pick 6 of the last 7 years on Defense. One- Jarvis Jones is no longer on the team. Couple of 2nd rounders on that starting d as well in Tuitt, Davis.
    The Free Agent starters are OK mainly because of Hayden. But Mitchell sucks in my opinion.
    Meanwhile, Bell and JuJu are 2nd rounders, Bryant a 4th, Brown a 6th. 1st rounders on the O line, but nothing recently and of course Ben.
    We should be in a position to reload our O line and QB with 1st rounders, but due to the misses on defensive drafts, we may not have that luxury.

Member Array title="SteelerCountry58 has a spectacular aura about"> SteelerCountry58's Avatar

The D needs better players. We need a stud DE, better push from DT and probably LB help along with a hard nosed Safety. The O can score,barring Ben and Bell status.

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Rather than start a new thread, I'll post these questions here regarding the defense.

Is the biggest problem the defensive coaches and the game planning? Is it that Shazier is injured and out? Is it that there just are not enough quality players on that unit?

I knew Shazier was/is great and an incredible talent, but now that he has been out a few games I see just how big of a difference maker he is on that side of the ball. I think beyond missing Shazier though, the talent level overall is fairly good minus the two starting safeties. I think their coverage skills are suspect, they get out of position too often, and don't wrap up tackles nearly enough as they are looking for big hits. Overall though, there is no way that defensive unit should have allowed that much offense and scoring from the Jags today....so naturally I look at the coaches and the ability to gameplan and make adjustments, and while I am obviously not there to see what their meeting/game plan sessions entail, I just don't see them disciplined and making adjustments on a consistent basis. The original poster covered it today with the failure to adjust to the swing pass to the RB and putting a spy on Bortles.

Also, is it just me or has Javon Hargrave been largely invisible down the stretch this season and today? Early on this year he was dominant and easily noticed, but over the last couple months it seems like I never notice him, and don't even see him on the field that much.

I think the biggest problem with the defense is the coaching and the two starting safeties. Assuming Ben and Bell are back next year, the draft should be defense heavy again.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerCountry58 View Post
    The D needs better players. We need a stud DE, better push from DT and probably LB help along with a hard nosed Safety. The O can score,barring Ben and Bell status.
    We have 2 stud DEs in Cam and Tuitt and a very good backup in Alualu. I think we're lacking at DT with Hargrave. I just don't feel that he's a NT. Definitely need help at ILB and FS.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

The huge problem on defense is ILB, and Safety play. Has been and still is. These areas will get addressed and we will move on.

Regardless, Haley is able to scheme good enough to allow the team to score 45 points in this game, and 30+ points five times this year. They scored 25+ points nine times this year. Haley is not the problem. Again, wouldn't be sad to see him leave, but after what we saw today, we need to put ALL our effort on hiring a DC this offseason. Not an OC.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

get rid of them both. Ben just said Haley never calls QB sneaks. Get the fuck out of here Haley

Quote Originally Posted by JayC View Post
    get rid of them both. Ben just said Haley never calls QB sneaks. Get the fuck out of here Haley
    I seem to remember Haley coming into Pittsburgh with 1 mandate: protect Ben. Yeah, you think he's going to call QB sneaks with a 35 year old QB after the last OC was run out of town for not protecting him?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Regardless, Haley is able to scheme good enough to allow the team to score 45 points in this game, and 30+ points five times this year. They scored 25+ points nine times this year. Haley is not the problem. Again, wouldn't be sad to see him leave, but after what we saw today, we need to put ALL our effort on hiring a DC this offseason. Not an OC.
    Yep and I also could careless if Haley stays or goes. Butler is the problem and needs to go. If that happens I'm willing to bet no other team picks him up as a DC.

I bet he'd end up Tennessee.
    I even doubt that and wouldn't be surprised if they had enough of DL.