Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Post Season (42 points how do you lose) angry thread

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Post Season (42 points how do you lose) angry thread

Steelers haven’t had a successful onside kick recovery in 11 years...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Steelers haven’t had a successful onside kick recovery in 11 years...
    So you're saying that they were due.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    So you're saying that they were due.
    Dilly Dilly

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

I don't blame the defense for this. Or rather, I don't *just* blame the defense. The offense coughed up the ball repeatedly and failed to convert twice on 4th and inches in field goal range. Plus there was more than a little bad play calling and clock management. Any of those things could've spelled the difference in this 3 point game.
    Special Teams did a fine job, but there's plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the ball.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I said all year our defense i.e. secondary and pass rush was terrible. CB's terrible, 10 yrd cushions. Tackling terrible....no arm tackles, everyone just launches and most times misses. Oh well, water under bridge now. It was a fun season watching JuJu grow. Hopefully Ryan recovers great and makes the best decision for him and for his life plans. Hopefully there's no drama with Bell and his contract. Hope Ben is back next year in SB form again. I hope AB stays healthy and ready to start off where he finished this year. Hope the DRAFT goes well for the Steeler's in all their weaknesses. I hope ALL THE PLAYER'S stay on the right side of the law and there's NO drama for our team. Hope all of you Steeler fans have a great, safe off season in all you and your family do. I'll be doing some traveling and motorcycling and be dropping by off/on to see what's happening. Peace to all my brothers/sisters. God Bless.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    I don't blame the defense for this. Or rather, I don't *just* blame the defense. The offense coughed up the ball repeatedly and failed to convert twice on 4th and inches in field goal range. Plus there was more than a little bad play calling and clock management. Any of those things could've spelled the difference in this 3 point game.
    Special Teams did a fine job, but there's plenty of blame to go around on both sides of the ball.
    Except the defense didn't stop a Blake Bortles led offense the whole game. Yea, the offense put them in a hole early but they never stopped the Jags.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

The onside kick was absolutely the right move. Whether Jacksonville got the ball at their own 20 or midfield, the situation was exactly the same: Force a three-and-out or lose the game. But with the onside kick you also have a 10-15% chance of getting the ball without that, probably gaining a lot of field position, a minute or more of clock time, plus keeping your timeouts in the process. Any of those would've made the difference in our favor there.

What really killed us was fucking up the onside kick so terribly that they were in FG range even after we stopped them. Normally they're getting the ball at the 45-50 yard line and have about a 60-yard field goal attempt if they fail to make a first down. We kick the ball 5 yards and stack a 5-yard penalty on top of it to give them the ball at like the 35. Those 15 yards were the game there. (Ignoring all our other fuck-ups, of course.)

If there's any doubt how huge it would've been to have two more timeouts, or an extra minute on the clock, just look at how the very end of the game played out. THAT'S what you gain from an onside kick. You have to try.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    The onside kick was absolutely the right move. Whether Jacksonville got the ball at their own 20 or midfield, the situation was exactly the same: Force a three-and-out or lose the game. But with the onside kick you also have a 10-15% chance of getting the ball without that, probably gaining a lot of field position, a minute or more of clock time, plus keeping your timeouts in the process. Any of those would've made the difference in our favor there.

What really killed us was fucking up the onside kick so terribly that they were in FG range even after we stopped them. Normally they're getting the ball at the 45-50 yard line and have about a 60-yard field goal attempt if they fail to make a first down. We kick the ball 5 yards and stack a 5-yard penalty on top of it to give them the ball at like the 35. Those 15 yards were the game there. (Ignoring all our other fuck-ups, of course.)

If there's any doubt how huge it would've been to have two more timeouts, or an extra minute on the clock, just look at how the very end of the game played out. THAT'S what you gain from an onside kick. You have to try.
    Thank you!!!

The decision wasn't the problem; the location* of the kick was.

*(traveling sideways only 2 yards, instead of forward 10 yards. The 5-yard penalty was the death nail.)

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    0 sacks by our celebrated pass rush. No pressure all game on Bortles. Players left wide open all game. The defense was absolutely terrible.
    Agreed, no push by Heyward, Tuitt or any on the D line. Never felt like they got Bortles feeling pressured at all

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

There is plenty of blame to go around,I know bens numbers were good and he made a valiant effort but pic and fumble in playoffs inexcusable for veteran. They all came out flat and coaches were out coached. D line dominated can’t think of one defensive play, not talking good tackle I’m talking a defensive play to spark team. 4th and foot and the play the really low percentage play, just like onside kick. True they hadn’t stopped them but you knew it was 3 runs, onside kick is luck they should’ve tried to win playing defense instead of luck.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus they don’t have the professional attitude like the team and coach we all hate. No media talk of looking past jags, and I want jags. Then don’t show up. Utter embarrassment,team wanted revenge and gave them a spark. I’m so fukking pissed , the Vikings actually put me in a fair mood from piss poor one

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Onside kick not right move even if they don’t kick fg, would fave pinned at 10 yard line via punt. 10 percent at best. Much better odds of going 3 and out than 10 percent when you know 3 runs up middle are coming

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Onside kick not right move even if they don’t kick fg, would fave pinned at 10 yard line via punt. 10 percent at best. Much better odds of going 3 and out than 10 percent when you know 3 runs up middle are coming
    You've never seen a team pull out a quick slant, or a fake handoff and a rollout, to surprise a defense who thinks another run is coming? I'd say that happens in far more than 10 percent of run-out-the-clock situations and is successful a lot of the time too.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

You've never seen a team pull out a quick slant, or a fake handoff and a rollout, to surprise a defense who thinks another run is coming? I'd say that happens in far more than 10 percent of run-out-the-clock situations and is successful a lot of the time too.
    I’m saying onside kick recovery 10 percent. Better odds of stopping them 3 and out than 10 percent. Maybe only slightly the way D played but to me higher percentage than onside kick

There was less chance that the Steelers would stop the Jags Offense...they didn’t do it all day. What makes you think they would start with 2 minutes left?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    There was less chance that the Steelers would stop the Jags Offense...they didn’t do it all day. What makes you think they would start with 2 minutes left?
    Because you knew 3 runs coming. They stopped them after missed onside, but gave them FG. IMO you go with percentages, onside kick when they know it’s coming is a prayer, hail merry. It’s even hard when team not expecting it. There was over 2 minutes, 2 time-outs and 2 min warning. Anyway that’s one play, steelers shit the bed , didn’t lose because of that, I just don’t think it was a good week for tomlin and coaches

I’m saying onside kick recovery 10 percent. Better odds of stopping them 3 and out than 10 percent. Maybe only slightly the way D played but to me higher percentage than onside kick
    As I keep posting, it was actually a fifteen percent chance based on all the attempts from 2014-2016. That, compared to the zero stops (0 percent) in the fourth quarter for this defense, makes it absolutely clear. You go for the onside kick. Why? because 15% > 0%.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    As I keep posting, it was actually a fifteen percent chance based on all the attempts from 2014-2016. That, compared to the zero stops (0 percent) in the fourth quarter for this defense, makes it absolutely clear. You go for the onside kick. Why? because 15% > 0%.
    So your just using 4th quarter for your stats,ok steelers haven’t had onside kick in years but they have had 3 and outs in years. How about those stats.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    And that's exactly what Tomlin said as to why he chose to kick the onside kick. Since he has zero faith in our defense being able to make a stop, maybe he'll take a hard look at them in the off season and make some moves.

15 percent probably includes times when teams are surprised by it, this certainly wouldn’t have been one of those times

- - - Updated - - -

All I know is I would have rather they earned a win with first down than a five yard onside kick that has worked how many times since tomlin coaching.

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

I think what was really disappointing was when the Steelers went three and out after Robert Golden blocked the Jag's punt. The offense had great starting field position and squandered their chance to tie the score.

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    I think what was really disappointing was when the Steelers went three and out after Robert Golden blocked the Jag's punt. The offense had great starting field position and squandered their chance to tie the score.
    Yep, there were many disappointments. 4th and a foot pass really makes me shake my head. Not sure who’s ultimate call that was. That was the call that really blew me away.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelerdude15 View Post
    Agreed, that was very disheartening. So was the no-call when Bryant was molested late in the 4th

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Yep, there were many disappointments. 4th and a foot pass really makes me shake my head. Not sure who’s ultimate call that was. That was the call that really blew me away.
    You all realize that without the blatant hold that should’ve been called that play is complete to JUJU, right?

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    You all realize that without the blatant hold that should’ve been called that play is complete to JUJU, right?
    Even with the hold, JuJu almost caught that ball. You're right though, the only reason why the defender was able to stay with JuJu was because he held his jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I do, qb sneak get it move on. You don’t have to worry about that crap happening. I just think you bring to many bad outcomes into equation by passing. I get it if it’s a full yard or more but a foot, not a fan of call.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    Bullshit. The offense just stuck 42 points on the board regardless of how many times you turned it over. When your offense does that you FUCKING should win 99.9% of the time. I mean a championship caliber defense should hold teams to field goals when you turn it over.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Bullshit. The offense just stuck 42 points on the board. When your offense does that you FUCKING should win 99.9% of the time.
    A guy runs for 150 plus the first time we played them and no adjustments made, same guy runs for 100 plus and 3 td’s. I’d say D and D coordinator sucked pretty bad. It seemed worse this time even though LF had less yards.every run was positive. Yeldon out of backfield killed us 3 times as well.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

What was particular embarrassing: Their first score. It was 4TH DOWN and they couldn't stop Fournette on THE EXACT SAME PLAY he did earlier in the season against us (jumping for the TD). Had we stopped them there, we would have won.

Well you needed to stop them 3 and out whether it was an onside kick or not. Normally even if the onside kick fails, they're not going to be in field goal range if they don't make a first down. It was only because we had possibly the worst onside kick in the history of football that they were in range. So under any ordinary circumstances there's no difference between the two except that the onside kick gives you the extra 10% chance of recovering and hitting the jackpot, but kicking it away doesn't.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Well you needed to stop them 3 and out whether it was an onside kick or not. Normally even if the onside kick fails, they're not going to be in field goal range if they don't make a first down. It was only because we had possibly the worst onside kick in the history of football that they were in range. So under any ordinary circumstances there's no difference between the two except that the onside kick gives you the extra 10% chance of recovering and hitting the jackpot, but kicking it away doesn't.
    Everyone has right to there opinion. Mine is onside kick last resort if you don’t have timeouts or say less than a minute or so on clock. 2 plus minutes, 2 time-outs and 2 minute warning is a lot of time. It speaks volumes to how much lack of faith Tomlin has in D. That’s what is pathetic. Our D made the bills look like the 85 Bears.