Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fire Everyone.

Senior Member Array title="faninyork is on a distinguished road">

Fire Everyone.

Now.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Fire Everyone.

It's time for Lloyd Christmas Haley and Harry Dunne Butler to get fired. Step into my office you two, cause you're fuckin fired

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

*yawn*

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

I said this in the GDT ... the Eagles fired Andy Reid after doing what Tomlin does every year. Winning in the regular season then choking when it counts most. Tomlin's only Superbowl win was with all Cowher players, then got out coached against the Packers with Cowher's aging players in 2010.

It's time. Tomlin clearly cannot win with "his" team.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Tomlin's only Superbowl win was with all Cowher players, then got out coached against the Packers with Cowher's aging players in 2010.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    It's time for Lloyd Christmas Haley and Harry Dunne Butler to get fired. Step into my office you two, cause you're fuckin fired
    Why is Tomlin exempt?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

45 points to Blake Bortles (Well 38 minus the fumble return).

Let that sink in. When you score 35 at home you should always win.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I said this in the GDT ... the Eagles fired Andy Reid after doing what Tomlin does every year. Winning in the regular season then choking when it counts most. Tomlin's only Superbowl win was with all Cowher players, then got out coached against the Packers with Cowher's aging players in 2010.

If I had a nickel for every time a Cowher team gacked in the postseason I'd be retired by now...

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    If I had a nickel for every time a Cowher team gacked in the postseason I'd be retired by now...
    Cowher had very poor players to work with Tomlin was given a well built team

Yes but his players did win two Superbowls and almost a third in 2010. Tomlin's teams are regular season great.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    Cowher had very poor players to work with Tomlin was given a well built team
    Huh? Noll handed Cowher a wealth of good players. And the QB situation was largely his own fault because he didn't value the QB position and thought he could win without one. Hell, if Rooney hadn't pulled rank on him in 2004, he would've passed on Roethlisberger for Shaun Andrews.

Yes but his players did win two Superbowls and almost a third in 2010. Tomlin's teams are regular season great.
    You mean like Harrison, who did nothing but rot on the bench under Cowher?

By the way, I'm not defending Tomlin. I'm saying a 60-year-old Cowher is not the solution to this team getting over the hump, that's all.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Keith Butler has to go, honestly the whole defensive coaching staff needs to be replaced.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Butler, Haley and Smith should all get walking papers on Monday. If not, the off season will be a failure no matter what else happens. It doesn’t matter what personnel gets thrown out there in 2018...you could field a pro bowl roster and this coaching staff would ruin it. It’s proven year after year.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Haley, Smith and Butler need to go. I would keep Tomlin but get him a lesson on how to preserve time (that final sequence was typical... after the Grounding, we need to kick the Field goal to at least have a chance to recover an onside kick and a couple of Hail mary shots to the endzone).

In particular, Haley's playcalling was even worse than usual. While I do agree on going for it on 4th Down and 1, we had to run it between the tackles with Bell there (or even QB sneak it, which is what the Cheats do). Especially the run with Bell wide was stupid after the Jags had stopped that every time before.

The defense is a dumpster fire, allowing 38 points to a team with Bortles at QB is simply unacceptable. With that kind of play we probably would have gotten 50 hanged up on us by the Cheats...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Nobody is getting fired. If Haley does it will solely be a power move by Ben. No heads are going to roll because of this loss. That's not how the Steelers organization operates. Everyone here knows that already.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Nobody is getting fired. If Haley does it will solely be a power move by Ben. No heads are going to roll because of this loss. That's not how the Steelers organization operates. Everyone here knows that already.
    It's time for them to make changes on defense, laughable if they don't. All these high draft choices and the defense gets beat by Blake fucking Bortles.

Senior Member Array title="faninyork is on a distinguished road">

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Why is Tomlin exempt?

- - - Updated - - -

If Ben stays, nothing changes. The only way a wholesale change is made is if Ben walks...

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Fire Everyone.

We know they don’t act irrational like most of us think. But if that coaching staff stays together, then the off-season is a failure...these losses fall on the coaching staff and something needs to change somewhere. It’s the same old story with this team.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think the Steelers made a mistake by promising Butler the DC position before Lebeau left. They should have had full interviews from as many coaches as possible.

Senior Member Array title="Steelerette has much to be proud of"> Steelerette's Avatar

If Ben stays, fire Haley, promote Fichtner. Our game preparation issues will be nothing compared to having Ben learning a new system. If Ben goes, they both need to go.

At this junction I don't have a problem with Butler. He goes to war with the army he has.

Danny Smith I'm undecided.

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

If I'm Tomlin, i'm begging Ben to stay. If Ben leaves it will show what a fraud Tomlin really is. When we win, we win on pure skill. When we lose, it's on terrible coaching, preparation, X's and O's, lack of clock management, etc. Tomlin and his staff suck

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Someone start the Fire Fichtner thread before he's even hired.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelerette View Post
    At this junction I don't have a problem with Butler. He goes to war with the army he has.
    Two first round draft picks starting at CB.
    Two second round draft picks starting at safety.
    a first, a second, and a third round draft pick starting on the OL.
    Two first round draft picks starting at LB (three with Shazier).

Sorry, but you cannot blame the defensive problems on the talent level. Moreover, we are seeing the exact same problems we saw with the previous generation of Steelers defense. They can't stop teams in the fourth quarter, and they shift to zone and cannot stop teams from abusing us in seem routes. That's pure scheme. And that ​is the coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Two first round draft picks starting at CB.
    Two second round draft picks starting at safety.
    a first, a second, and a third round draft pick starting on the OL.
    Two first round draft picks starting at LB (three with Shazier).

Sorry, but you cannot blame the defensive problems on the talent level. Moreover, we are seeing the exact same problems we saw with the previous generation of Steelers defense. They can't stop teams in the fourth quarter, and they shift to zone and cannot stop teams from abusing us in seem routes. That's pure scheme. And that ​is the coaching.
    That's been happening to LeBeau defenses all the way back to Super Bowl XXIII. Montana owes a debt of gratitude to LeBeau for helping to cement his legacy.

Only difference is now any scrub QB that can make an NFL roster can beat it too.

That's been happening to LeBeau defenses all the way back to Super Bowl XXIII. Montana owes a debt of gratitude to LeBeau for helping to cement his legacy.

Only difference is now any scrub QB that can make an NFL roster can beat it too.
    Yep. And it's been a discussion we've had (and agreed on) for well-nigh 10 years now. (Can you believe it? We're getting old).

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

One of the armchair coordinators needs to explain to me what “scheme” things they would fix. Like with specifics and examples. I am no real fan of Butler’s and would have no strong feelings if he stays or if he goes.

The defense was precisely designed to funnel all playmaking through Ryan Shazier. Just like it used to be with Troy Polamalu. When you design a defense to highlight one player and you lose that player - you’re screwed plain and simple. Just like when Tom Moore used to say there was no point in practicing with the second string QB because without Peyton Manning there was no PLan B.

Sean Spence, Sean Davis, and Mitchell are just not playmakers in the middle of the field. They are complementary players at best. Guys you hope simply do their job so someone else can make plays. I have asked for 2 seasons now, who are the playmakers on this defense? There are many candidates but there was one - Ryan Shazier. Without him, no one was able to step up and wear the Superman cape.

Scheme does not get Sean Spence off blocks. He can’t shed blocks. No one in black and gold was able to beat their man and get pressure on Bortles today. Multiple times the man assigned to seal the edge lost contain and got blown off their spot. Scheme or execution? I have no idea, but I do know that I saw the Steelers lose the battle at the line of scrimmage more often than not today. Not sure what complex schematic issues there are in an ass whupping.

Again, not really waving the flag for Butler, but who are you going to bring in? Pettine just got hired. Capers is worse. Anyone know of any really up and coming 3-4 guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Snip
    Here's what I'd like to see.

• A shift more to man defense.
    • Find a way to better disguise man v. zone when playing zone.
    • Free up a LB rather than a safety to cover the TE when playing teams with big TEs.
    • Scheming to fix QBs exposing seams in the zone game after game after game.
    • Using a spy at least once in a while if we continue to play zone against QBs who are mobile.
    • Find a way to cover the RB when he comes out as a receiver.
    • Get a true NT or convert to four down lineman.
    • Stop relying on great talent to win games and start scheming to win games with average talent. That way, great talent can take the game over if possible, but it is not necessary (this especially helps when your talent has a season-ending injury).

That's off the top of my head.

The zone defense they use consistently gives up yardage in critical situations. If a team is running their scheme and they don’t have he players that can perform, they need to come up with a way to help those players. You can’t insert LJ Fort and expect him to pick up where Shazier left off. That was clear today. Fort p, mentally, played an excellent game, he just didn’t have the speed or the talent to get it done. You could see him attempting to do it, he just doesn’t have the skills to do it. At that point, you have to change something in your defense to either help that player or hide that weakness. What exactly is it? Who knows, but you can’t keep throwing the same shit out there and expect it to work in the 4th quarter when it wasn’t working in the first quarter.