Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Haley out as OC

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Haley out as OC

No one can argue that Steelers offensive coordinator Todd Haley has helped Ben Roethlisberger play his best football. Since Haley took over for Bruce Arians in 2012, Roethlisberger has improved his completion percentage (65.2), yards per game (287.4) and passer rating (96.0).

Simply, he's better.

And yet, as the Steelers get set to play the Jaguars today in a Divisional Round playoff game, the relationship between Haley and Roethlisberger is in as bad a place as it's been in years. The communication has been an issue, one reason why quarterbacks coach Randy Fichtner has come down from the booth to the sidelines to serve as a conduit.

It was Roethlisberger's idea, one coach Mike Tomlin agreed with.

All of which sets up a decision for the Steelers: Haley is a free agent after this season, a source said. While the Steelers have not sat down and considered staffing for 2018, surely they will when this season ends.

And how do they proceed: Do they bring Haley back, hoping the relationship improves because the product is so successful? Move on from Haley, with Fichtner as the offensive coordinator? Bring in someone new?

One option for Haley could be going with head coach candidate and offensive line coach Mike Munchak if he gets the Cardinals job.

Haley is expected to be on the sidelines today, even with a broken pelvis suffered after being attacked outside a bar on New Year's Eve. The decision facing the Steelers is not related to the incident, a source said.

Either way, Haley, Roethlisberger and the Steelers will play today. And depending on how they proceed in the offseason, it could be the last time they are together.

Ben Roethlisberger's Career by Offensive Coordinator:
    Todd Haley: 55-30 (.647) W-L record, 65.2 completion percentage, 7.7 pass YPA, 284.7 pass YPG, 164-74 TD-INT, 96.0 passer rating
    All others: 88-33 (.708) W-L record, 63.1 completion percentage, 8.0 pass YPA, 233.1 pass YPG, 165-100 TD-INT, 92.1 passer rating

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...-at-crossroads

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Todd Haley's future as Pittsburgh Steelers OC at crossroads

Trade Haley to Green Bay for Aaron Rogers.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

I never liked Haley and thought some of his play calling was of high school stature.. Personally I hope he leaves we can do better.

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

The offense under Haley is better than any othe OC we have had in years... keep Haley

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

When Ben issues his ultimatum..."he goes or I retire," Todd's gone. And it may have happened already.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Haley isn't impressive on his play calling in my opinion.....it's like he's stuck on 1 page of the playbook. Never seems like there are NEW plays, or creative plays called. Maybe some one new would have new ideas. But sometimes you have to watch what you wish for.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    When Ben issues his ultimatum..."he goes or I retire," Todd's gone. And it may have happened already.
    Thats probably the dialouge thats happening

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Haley is a tool, and the least functional type. Basically a rock that is only good for smashing stuff here and there. You probably couldn't even skip him across a pond. He is what is keeping this offense 'good' instead of helping it to become 'great'. Actually, I wouldn't even say he is helping the offense be 'good', that is the skills of the players doing that despite his idiotic play calling.

Keep Munchak too. Damn I hope he doesn't go.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

The offense is doing great due to high-end talent and despite his moronic playcalling

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityboyz View Post
    I never liked Haley and thought some of his play calling was of high school stature.. Personally I hope he leaves we can do better.
    WHO?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    The offense under Haley is better than any othe OC we have had in years... keep Haley
    Haley served his function of breaking Ben of playing hero ball on every play and getting constantly clobbered under Ben's mutually indulgent relationship with Arians

Ben is at the stage of what remains of his career that he gets that on his own so Haley's most valuable contribution is no longer relevant

If Ben stays I bet Haley goes

If Ben retires I doubt Tomlin, Colbert & AJRII want to deal with a new OC and a new QB

I am much more concerned about Munchak leaving than whatever happens to Todd

Ben can overrule Haley but Munchak has made the O-line

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Be careful what you wish for.

I think it’s a lot of horse shit that Rap-ass-Hat, throws out an article like that on our first playoff game. What a jerk. It certainly isn’t a distraction for the players, but for the fans........we shouldn’t be even discussing this. Time to focus on the game and hope Haley calls a great one. That’s the last I will contribute to this thread.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Who's available right now that would be an upgrade from Haley? I wouldnt be sad to see him go. We've been better under Haley than Arians. Haley has made this offense good overall, but never anywhere near its potential. Id like to see him stay if there arent better options. The best receiver, best runningback, a top 5 QB, a top 5 Oline, and lots of other weapons year in and year out. Theres no reason this offense shouldnt be consistently fielding elite production.

3rd down. Red zone. PPG in general. It needs work.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Maybe Fichtner has the same "Deal" that Butler got. Wait for an opening and it's yours.

Like was said above, I hope Munchak stays.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not looking like a crossroads at all...more like he’s on the exit ramp at the moment...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Not looking like a crossroads at all...more like he’s on the exit ramp at the moment...
    Hopefully Smith and Butler are in the car with Haley out of town.

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Hopefully Smith and Butler are in the car with Haley out of town.
    Again......replace them with who......are you currently interviewing candidate? Let’s get rid of everyone and start over again.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    Again......replace them with who......are you currently interviewing candidate? Let’s get rid of everyone and start over again.
    Ben calls the shots on who will replace Haley if he goes - with that talent the Steelers would have no trouble attracting outside candidates but I assume Randy Fitchner would get it

As for Butler and the defensive coaches the failure to develop first round picks Jones & Dupree does not reflect well on Porter (or those who made the picks) and the ongoing secondary problems should put Lake in jeopardy. Butler's defenses have been shredded in the playoffs the past two seasons by Brady (who has done it to everyone) and by Jax (which is inexcusable).

If Cowher was the HC heads would roll - he regularly whacked assistants. If changes are made now it will be because AJRII demands it, as he did with Arains after the 2011 season. My guess is Haley goes along with one or more defensive assistants below Butler.

If changes are made it should happen quickly rather than wait for the new HCs to assemble their staffs.

Todd Haley's future as Pittsburgh Steelers OC at crossroads

I’d start with Fitchner as OC as a candidate. There are plenty of candidates out there for ST and DC. Smith is about 3 years over due. Let’s not act like there aren’t other viable candidates out there in the world. I’ve been a Haley supporter over the years but the fact that they can’t convert a first down with this Team is ridiculous. How do you take a play that has converted 18 of 19 first downs with Ben and remove it from the playbook? That’s unheard of.

Blowing up the whole coaching staff is unheard of as well...and maybe not the answer but something needs to be done.

That’s great if you don’t want to change the coaching staff, but that’s been the consistent problem year after year and until they start doing something different within that coaching staff, nothing will change.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Maybe Fichtner has the same "Deal" that Butler got. Wait for an opening and it's yours.

Like was said above, I hope Munchak stays.
    This is what concerns me about the Steelers, it was a bad idea with Butler and it will be a bad idea with grandma Fichtner. Now Fichtner may be the best choice but at least bring in some competition. You have players compete to get the best of the bunch, why not do the same for coaches?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    This is what concerns me about the Steelers, it was a bad idea with Butler and it will be a bad idea with grandma Fichtner. Now Fichtner may be the best choice but at least bring in some competition. You have players compete to get the best of the bunch, why not do the same for coaches?
    Fichtner gets along w/Ben but Ben's time is limited. Munchak is the one we need to keep. I'm indifferent to Haley. He can stay or go as far as I know.

Defense is the focus and where changes need to be made.

In his chat today P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo says Haley probbaly is gone and does not rule out Butler going as well after yesterday's cluster

Haley isn't likely to return and I'm not sure about Butler either. ...

I'm not ruling out wholesale changes on both sides of the ball. When that game was over yesterday and I was in the locker room it felt like an ending to me. I know they have important players under contract on offense and they like some of their players on defense. I'm talking about the whole coaching operation. It felt like it ending and that changes were going to come.

Also some very harsh words for Tomlin

When he did that interview with Tony Dungy and looked ahead to the Patriots Part I and Part II. That gave his players the freedom to do the same. It was inexcusable for him to do that and a fireable offense in my opinion.... this season was a circus and Tomlin was the ring leader when he did that interview with Dungy. ..

It starts with Tomlin. He's had more and more influence with this defense in recent years after Dick LeBeau's departure. Where were his adjustments Sunday?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201801150092

I suppose we should have seen this coming - defense held on against Pats until the last two drives but the abysmal Ravens offense shredded the defense in the game after Shazier's injury.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Thanks, Dan. I think the writing was on the wall for Haley's departure. We'll see what goes down regarding Butler.

I'm actually shocked at those harsh words coming out of Ray's mouth. Wow!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Because the context is different. Fichtner is the only one I'd be okay with. Otherwise, Haley needs to stay. Why? Because of Ben. At this point, Ben is as much the OC as anyone else. I want someone who speaks his language and understands his system, and there is only two people available who can do that. Fichtner and Arians. Of those two, which one would you rather have?

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    That is fucking awesome. A prime example of why he needs to go his ideas are old and still suck

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Offer Lane Kiffen the OC job.

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

This is a bullshit question. I don't do NFL interviews. It doesn't have to be someone the fans identify as a great hire. There are lots of perspective hires you never even heard of. You heard much about Tomlin before we hires him. Give it a break

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Because the context is different. Fichtner is the only one I'd be okay with. Otherwise, Haley needs to stay. Why? Because of Ben. At this point, Ben is as much the OC as anyone else. I want someone who speaks his language and understands his system, and there is only two people available who can do that. Fichtner and Arians. Of those two, which one would you rather have?
    I'm sure it will be Fitch if Haley gets the boot, Arians won't be back. But I'm not so sure Fitch would be the long term answer. I get nervous with these in house hires.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    In his chat today P-G reporter Ray Fittipaldo says Haley probbaly is gone and does not rule out Butler going as well after yesterday's cluster

Haley isn't likely to return and I'm not sure about Butler either. ...

I'm not ruling out wholesale changes on both sides of the ball. When that game was over yesterday and I was in the locker room it felt like an ending to me. I know they have important players under contract on offense and they like some of their players on defense. I'm talking about the whole coaching operation. It felt like it ending and that changes were going to come.

Also some very harsh words for Tomlin

When he did that interview with Tony Dungy and looked ahead to the Patriots Part I and Part II. That gave his players the freedom to do the same. It was inexcusable for him to do that and a fireable offense in my opinion.... this season was a circus and Tomlin was the ring leader when he did that interview with Dungy. ..

It starts with Tomlin. He's had more and more influence with this defense in recent years after Dick LeBeau's departure. Where were his adjustments Sunday?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201801150092

I suppose we should have seen this coming - defense held on against Pats until the last two drives but the abysmal Ravens offense shredded the defense in the game after Shazier's injury.
    Tomlin is beyond reproach just ask him. He'll brush right over it.