Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Haley out as OC

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Todd Haley's future as Pittsburgh Steelers OC at crossroads

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    I'm okay with Lake and Porter. They don't have a lot of say in who gets handed to them to train, but they're doing the best they can. Change the DC and then assess how the assistants are doing in a better scheme.
    Name on player not named TJ Watt who has seemed to get any better year to year under Porter and Lake. Shazier?

Now look at the assembly line of player in and improvement out that Mitchell, Munch, and Mann have been running at DL, OL, and WR.

Porter and Lake may not be part of the problem but they certainly aren't providing evidence that they are part of the solution either.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Name on player not named TJ Watt who has seemed to get any better year to year under Porter and Lake. Shazier?

Now look at the assembly line of player in and improvement out that Mitchell, Munch, and Mann have been running at DL, OL, and WR.

Porter and Lake may not be part of the problem but they certainly aren't providing evidence that they are part of the solution either.
    I think TJ excelled because of JJ, Hope he spends the entire off season with JJ at the cabin.

Mike Hilton? Sean Davis? When he was in there, Cameron Sutton? Getting Haden into and adjusted to the system? Burns wasn't as good as we hoped this year, but sophomore slump is a real thing, and he still flashed some great skills. As for LBs, Watt and Shazier both got better as did Fort and Matakevich (the latter being injured unfortunately). But, once again, if you don't put your places in a place where they can excel, they will never excel.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Mike Hilton? Sean Davis? When he was in there, Cameron Sutton? Getting Haden into and adjusted to the system? Burns wasn't as good as we hoped this year, but sophomore slump is a real thing, and he still flashed some great skills. As for LBs, Watt and Shazier both got better as did Fort and Matakevich (the latter being injured unfortunately). But, once again, if you don't put your places in a place where they can excel, they will never excel.
    Davis regressed significantly in year 2 and was out of position all year. What did Matekevich and Fort do on defense?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Re: Haley out as OC

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

If Haley actually gets hired, can we post the announcement in the Around the NFL forum, por favor?

This same thread started out as a Will Haley Get Canned, to Haley Gets Canned, to Haley Talking to the Browns.

Thanks.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Haley to the browns would be hilarious

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

Haley has received a strong endorsement from Hall of Fame quarterback Kurt Warner.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...eveland-browns

No strong endorsement from Ben?

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I kinda want to see a Haley led offense drop 35 on the Steelers while Fichtner gets like 12.

This place might literally catch on fire.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I kinda want to see a Haley led offense drop 35 on the Steelers while Fichtner gets like 12.

Oh, that would not be good. Not good at all.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

I'm interested to go back and watch some old school DeAngelo Williams highlights from Memphis....when Fichtner last called plays for an offense. Will we see any similarities, or will everything remain the same?

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Original Member Array title="steelerdude15 has a brilliant future"> steelerdude15's Avatar

It does in every game day thread.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Will everything remain the same?

Maybe we will get the snap off with more than one or two seconds left on the play clock and run a hurry up rather than just no huddle offense - I was watching the clock when Brady brought the Pats back in the 4th quarter - none of the apparently calling in an order for the postgame meal while the clock ticks to zero. IMO it turned the game when the Jags got the delay of game late in the first half on what would have been a first down pickup into field goal range

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Davis regressed significantly in year 2 and was out of position all year. What did Matekevich and Fort do on defense?
    Davis had typical sophomore troubles. That's far from "regressing." In fact he's made some big plays that have either helped set the tone of a game or give us a victory. I'm thinking of the last games against the Ravens and Bengals, in particular. Matekavich and Fort played much better than their projections at the beginning of the year. The argument isn't about how good they are, it's about whether they've gotten better.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    I'm interested to go back and watch some old school DeAngelo Williams highlights from Memphis....when Fichtner last called plays for an offense. Will we see any similarities, or will everything remain the same?

The biggest difference is that Ben will be able to audiblize.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Maybe we will get the snap off with more than one or two seconds left on the play clock and run a hurry up rather than just no huddle offense - I was watching the clock when Brady brought the Pats back in the 4th quarter - none of the apparently calling in an order for the postgame meal while the clock ticks to zero. IMO it turned the game when the Jags got the delay of game late in the first half on what would have been a first down pickup into field goal range

That has to be built into the offense, and the quarterback has to have the blessing of the OC and the head coach to do it. That is something that is practiced over and over again, as the quarterback trains himself to make calls quickly, get to the line quickly, and run plays when he knows what defense the opponent will be in and the personnel that is already on the field. That catches the defense in the personnel that they already have on the field, or forces them to try to substitute which can be used against them if you snap the ball before a player gets off the field. That only happens if the quarterback is trusted to make those decisions. Haley apparently never had that trust, never wanted to relinquish his control, or both. If the team can just be at the line of scrimmage and get the defense for one 12 men on the field penalty that extends a drive each game, it makes sense.

Keeping Fichtner allows Haley's offense to stay in place. Ben already knows everything about the offense. It would just be a matter of making adjustments to the offense if they choose to. They can put Ben under center more. They can build in more play action passing. They can put in quarterback sneaks, and they can give Ben more control and emphasize a true hurry up offense in situational football. Putting Ben under center more would also be a precursor to running quarterback sneaks because Haley never figured out that they can't be run from the shotgun.