Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Haley out as OC

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: Todd Haley's future as Pittsburgh Steelers OC at crossroads

Sorry, I refuse to buy the whole "distracted", "looking past", and "bulletin board material" stuff. I truly believe that is over-hyped media driven narrative because all the folks covering the NFL need something to talk about. What about all the times teams talked about this or that and then went out and backed it up? That happens too and would seem to destroy the easy story line that saying anything is a path to defeat due to the brittle mindsets of the average NFL player...I don't get it.

The Jaguars ran 61 offensive plays and NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM WENT FOR NEGATIVE YARDS! That's the story. Their front won the battle at the line of scrimmage. Why everyone has to be on a constant search for more complicated and deeper answers at every turn is really beyond me. Start with the obvious - the Pittsburgh Steelers got dominated upfront. Move to the next obvious question? Why and How did that happen? Unfortunately for the instant answer media age we all live in, the real answers to the second question require some detailed analysis and discussion. In short, a complex answer. But that answer doesn't fit the 5 minute deadlines we all run on now. So what do we get? We get "distractions", "came out flat", "poor preparation" (with no details on what was poor - just, you know preparation and stuff), "looking past the opponent", etc.

All of that are answers in search of a question. Ever notice how all these reporters and talking heads that come out and instantly provide an "analysis" of why a team loses are never heard from again when the question shifts to "what should be done next"? That's because all they have is hot air and cliches -- not actual answers.

One just has to hope that the decision making apparatus of the Pittsburgh Steelers takes the time and gets into the details enough to come up with actionable solutions.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Sorry, I refuse to buy the whole "distracted", "looking past", and "bulletin board material" stuff. I truly believe that is over-hyped media driven narrative because all the folks covering the NFL need something to talk about. What about all the times teams talked about this or that and then went out and backed it up? That happens too and would seem to destroy the easy story line that saying anything is a path to defeat due to the brittle mindsets of the average NFL player...I don't get it.

The Jaguars ran 61 offensive plays and NOT A SINGLE ONE OF THEM WENT FOR NEGATIVE YARDS! That's the story. Their front won the battle at the line of scrimmage. Why everyone has to be on a constant search for more complicated and deeper answers at every turn is really beyond me. Start with the obvious - the Pittsburgh Steelers got dominated upfront. Move to the next obvious question? Why and How did that happen? Unfortunately for the instant answer media age we all live in, the real answers to the second question require some detailed analysis and discussion. In short, a complex answer. But that answer doesn't fit the 5 minute deadlines we all run on now. So what do we get? We get "distractions", "came out flat", "poor preparation" (with no details on what was poor - just, you know preparation and stuff), "looking past the opponent", etc.

All of that are answers in search of a question. Ever notice how all these reporters and talking heads that come out and instantly provide an "analysis" of why a team loses are never heard from again when the question shifts to "what should be done next"? That's because all they have is hot air and cliches -- not actual answers.

One just has to hope that the decision making apparatus of the Pittsburgh Steelers takes the time and gets into the details enough to come up with actionable solutions.
    You may not buy it but players in the locker room like Decastro and I'm sure others did.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    You may not buy it but players in the locker room like Decastro and I'm sure others did.
    And Foster and several others have said the total opposite. Additionally, the whole narrative doesn't match-up to what happened on the field:

1. Bell was one of the most talkative on social media prior to game and he went out and backed up every damn word.
    2. Mitchell while not playing the greatest game ever, didn't do much that contributed to the loss either. Remember that deep ball was on Burns and Haden...
    3. Ramsey was the most talkative Jag before and after the game and he got torched. The only player on the Jags D who had a good day was Telvin Smith (14 tackles a TD, etc).
    4. Ben said he wanted a rematch and after the first two series or so went out and demonstrated in convincing fashion that the Jags Defense can not stop him. Several of the throws he made were absolutely ridiculous and at one point he completed 14 in a row. If "bulletin board material" was so damn disastrous, shouldn't the Jags secondary been able to use their super duper extra motivation to muster some sort of defense against the absolute strafing that Ben R put on them?
    5. The Steelers o-line went out and stymied a damn good Jags pass rush for most of the afternoon. On some plays, Ben had enough time to do his taxes back there. Shouldn't they have been affected by looking past the Jags?

I could go on. But unless Cameron Heyward is going to be your poster boy for "looking past" this game, I don't buy it. I mean I guess that could explain why he had ZERO impact on this game...but does that fit at all with his personality and attitude up to this point?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

And Foster and several others have said the total opposite. Additionally, the whole narrative doesn't match-up to what happened on the field:

1. Bell was one of the most talkative on social media prior to game and he went out and backed up every damn word.
    2. Mitchell while not playing the greatest game ever, didn't do much that contributed to the loss either. Remember that deep ball was on Burns and Haden...
    3. Ramsey was the most talkative Jag before and after the game and he got torched. The only player on the Jags D who had a good day was Telvin Smith (14 tackles a TD, etc).
    4. Ben said he wanted a rematch and after the first two series or so went out and demonstrated in convincing fashion that the Jags Defense can not stop him. Several of the throws he made were absolutely ridiculous and at one point he completed 14 in a row. If "bulletin board material" was so damn disastrous, shouldn't the Jags secondary been able to use their super duper extra motivation to muster some sort of defense against the absolute strafing that Ben R put on them?
    5. The Steelers o-line went out and stymied a damn good Jags pass rush for most of the afternoon. On some plays, Ben had enough time to do his taxes back there. Shouldn't they have been affected by looking past the Jags?

I could go on. But unless Cameron Heyward is going to be your poster boy for "looking past" this game, I don't buy it. I mean I guess that could explain why he had ZERO impact on this game...but does that fit at all with his personality and attitude up to this point?

I agree the media can and is a bunch of hacks but if the players did their jobs, the loss must be on the coaching staff, starting with Tomlin.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Report: Todd Haley may not be back with Steelers next season

Todd Haley's future with the Steelers is very much in doubt

Sam Quinn
    1/14/18

Todd Haley has been a polarizing figure for the Pittsburgh Steelers ever since he joined the team. He has feuded with Ben Roethlisberger, his play-calling has been questioned by fans all season, and now, after a terrible loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars in the Divisional Round of the playoffs, his tenure with the team may soon be over.

to read rest of article:

https://247sports.com/nfl/pittsburgh...ason-113707830

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

This.

Look at the players who were looking ahead. Bell? Mitchell? Bell played a vintage Bell game and was outstanding. Mitchell sucked about the same as he does on average. Our front 7 hasnt been dominated like that all season. Even Cam Heyward looked like Cam Thomas out there
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I agree the media can and is a bunch of hacks but if the players did their jobs, the loss must be on the coaching staff, starting with Tomlin.
    It doesn't have to be that binary. It is possible that the players didn't look ahead, the coaching staff had a decent plan, but the players just got beat on the field. Who knows? Certainly no one outside of the locker-room at this point. Over the next weeks and months actual information and analysis will appear that will provide some insight into the actual process that lead to the outcome.

Prior to that we are all just kinda flailing around in the dark looking to blame someone or something.

It doesn't have to be that binary. It is possible that the players didn't look ahead, the coaching staff had a decent plan, but the players just got beat on the field. Who knows? Certainly no one outside of the locker-room at this point. Over the next weeks and months actual information and analysis will appear that will provide some insight into the actual process that lead to the outcome.

Prior to that we are all just kinda flailing around in the dark looking to blame someone or something.
    Indeed, but it sure would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the FO.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Blaming the outcome of yesterday's game on an interview that Tomlin had with Dungy WEEKS AGO is RIDICULOUS.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Sounds like Team Ben is putting out the word I am staying but guess who has to go. Interesting the Bouchette story refers to some key players on offense (I define that group as the three Bs, Pouncey & DeCastro) having Haley issues. My guess is Pouncey and DeCastro deal with Munchak, which could mean AB or Bell also have Todd issues.

Ben Roethlisberger wants to play at least 3 more seasons; Todd Haley may not return

Ben Roethlisberger said publicly on Sunday he will return to play in the 2018 season. He has told teammates he wants to play at least another three....

Todd Haley just finished the final year of his contract, and it is not common for a Steelers coordinator to return under those circumstances....

Haley has done some good things with the Steelers offense and with Roethlisberger at quarterback, particularly helping him cut down on the large number of sacks he had experienced throughout his career.

One thing he did not do, however, was build rapport among some of his staff or support among key players in that offense, including Roethlisberger.

Two days after their loss to New England in the AFC championship a year ago, Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan that he was contemplating retirement. After he decided to return, he insisted concerns about his health, his family and recent CTE tests prompted retirement thoughts.

However, a Steelers source surmised that some biting words from Haley the day after the loss in New England prompted a frustrated Roethlisberger to bring up retirement publicly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ben-Roethlisberger-retirement-todd-Haley-offensive-coordinator-replacement-Randy-Fichtner-Mike-Tomlin-Jaguars-Patriots/stories/201801150139

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Sounds like Team Ben is putting out the word I am staying but guess who has to go. Interesting the Bouchette story refers to key players on offense (I define that group as the three Bs, Pouncey & DeCastro) having haley issues. My guess is Pouncey and DeCastro deal with Munchak, which could mean AB or Bell also have Todd issues.

Ben Roethlisberger wants to play at least 3 more seasons; Todd Haley may not return

Ben Roethlisberger said publicly on Sunday he will return to play in the 2018 season. He has told teammates he wants to play at least another three....

Todd Haley just finished the final year of his contract, and it is not common for a Steelers coordinator to return under those circumstances....

Haley has done some good things with the Steelers offense and with Roethlisberger at quarterback, particularly helping him cut down on the large number of sacks he had experienced throughout his career.

One thing he did not do, however, was build rapport among some of his staff or support among key players in that offense, including Roethlisberger.

Two days after their loss to New England in the AFC championship a year ago, Roethlisberger said on 93.7 The Fan that he was contemplating retirement. After he decided to return, he insisted concerns about his health, his family and recent CTE tests prompted retirement thoughts.

However, a Steelers source surmised that some biting words from Haley the day after the loss in New England prompted a frustrated Roethlisberger to bring up retirement publicly.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/Ben-Roethlisberger-retirement-todd-Haley-offensive-coordinator-replacement-Randy-Fichtner-Mike-Tomlin-Jaguars-Patriots/stories/201801150139

Please post as a new thread....I've made many requests about not burying stories within other threads. They get overlooked plus they don't get pinged to twitter. I'll repost as a separate thread. Thanks. :cheers:

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

I think massively upgrading the OL over several drafts and hiring a competent OL coach for a change had something to do with that...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Please post as a new thread....I've made many requests about not burying stories within other threads. They get overlooked plus they don't get pinged to twitter. I'll repost as a separate thread. Thanks. :cheers:
    I thought about posting a new thread but I regarded the main point of the story being the P-G joining the Haley is out bandwagon with claims other players along with staff have Todd issues and Ben claiming Haley was a reason he was thinking of retiring after last season. That ties into the increasing pressure to say goodbye to Haley.

The flip side of stories being buried in threads is 10 threads running versions of the same story.

As far as Ben saying he wants to play three more seasons being a story line that supports its own thread I will not regard that as credible until he redoes his contract to defer some of his 2018 $$$. Ben has been known to change his views.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Bryant says he wants to come back, too. Rumors circulating that Haley is leaving.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I think massively upgrading the OL over several drafts and hiring a competent OL coach for a change had something to do with that...
    It had EVERYTHING to do with that imo.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    It had EVERYTHING to do with that imo.
    Amen!

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers vs. Jaguars: 4 Winners and 4 Losers in the Steelers’ season-ending loss to Jacksonville

By Jeff.Hartman
    Jan 15, 2018

LOSERS

Todd Haley

When I think about the loss to the Jaguars, the failed fourth-and-short situations will always come to mind. The jet sweep plays against a fast and aggressive defense epitomize Haley simply out-thinking himself, on more than one occasion. Haley isn’t fully to blame for the team’s loss, they did score 42-points, but his situational football sense needs some serious help. For the first time in a long time, I wouldn’t be shocked to see Haley let go when the offseason officially settles in.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ville-playoffs

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s not so much “looking past” but all the talk about NE this and Patriots that took some of the focus off of preparation for Jacksonville and if you don’t want to buy that, then all the talk als fueled the opposing locker room...that is pretty much a proven fact. You don’t need to give another team any “extra” motivation in the playoffs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It’s not so much “looking past” but all the talk about NE this and Patriots that took some of the focus off of preparation for Jacksonville and if you don’t want to buy that, then all the talk als fueled the opposing locker room...that is pretty much a proven fact. You don’t need to give another team any “extra” motivation in the playoffs.
    I personally think this defense totally looked past the Jags . They did not prepare for this team at all and it showed. The coaching staff was busy writing game plans for new England .

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    As it was pointed out elsewhere, it was more the media doing that talking than anyone else.

From Tomlin's end of season press conference

Todd Haley’s Contract With Steelers Expires

January 16th, 2018

Todd Haley‘s contract with the Steelers has expired, according to Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. As Bouchette explains, the team does not typically allow a coach’s contract to lapse if they intend to keep him, so this could indeed be the end of his time as the Steelers’ offensive coordinator.

Haley is reportedly at odds with quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and his off-the-field behavior probably doesn’t help matters. This season, Roethlisberger requested that QBs coach Randy Fichtner coach from the sidelines instead of the press box so that he can provide a buffer between him and Haley.

to read rest of article:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/20...teelers-expire

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

I can't believe people are putting the blame on Haley, where a lot of the blame hasn't been on Butler.

Haley didn't surrender 350+ yards, 38 points, 0 red zone stops, 0 sacks, 0 takeaways. If you score 42, hell, even 30 at home that should be a win.

Jacksonville is as one dimensional of an offense there is. Stop the run. Do that you win. Obviously the defense wasn't up to the task.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

When should we expect to hear that Fitchtner is promoted to OC?

Friday?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Friday?
    Ben's having a party at Tequila Cowboy Friday night??

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post

Friday?
    One theory is if the hammer drops it will be be before the coaching staff takes their exciting trip to Orlando starting next Tuesday to coach the Pro Bowl, which allegedly thrills Tomlin

Well there you have it... Array title="NCSteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> NCSteeler's Avatar

One theory is if the hammer drops it will be be before the coaching staff takes their exciting trip to Orlando starting next Tuesday to coach the Pro Bowl, which allegedly thrills Tomlin

He should be the Pro Bowl is the epitome of Tomlin coaching no preparation sloppy oorah football.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    Merry Christmas

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

If he's excited to coach the pro bowl, something's wrong with him. He should be embarrassed that all he has to show for 9 pro bowlers is pro bowl coach

Haley's condition clearly terminal now that vultures like Peter King are circling

Tomlin may need to fire offensive coordinator Todd Haley; whatever happens on the offensive staff, a team with this talent has to be better than eighth in scoring and 20th in rushing yards....

I also think the offense has to be more disciplined. Sloppy play at the end of the game against New England—even with the very close replay reversal on the Jesse James catch-no catch at the goal line—cost them dearly.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/01/17/mi...mqb-peter-king

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It’s been reported that it’s official and he will not return to Pittsburgh.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler