Thread: QB's Playing This weekend

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

QB's Playing This weekend

Lets look at the QB's playing this weekend in the Wildcard round and see how many of them you can actually look to as a potential Super Bowl winning QB.

-Marcus Mariota
    -Alex Smith
    -Matt Ryan
    -Drew Brees
    -Cam Newton
    -Jared Goff
    -Blake Bortles
    -Tyrod Taylor

IMO, right now I think Brees, Ryan, Newton are guys that can carry their team if need be and have demonstrated that. Smith I think has shown that his defense better be really good as well as the run game, because he hasn't shown he can carry a team with his arm in his first 12 seasons. Mariota and Goff look like real leaders and franchise QB's that can do it in time. Bortles IMO just is too inconsistent and Tyrod Taylor.....no way.

So with all the usual speculation of when Ben retires, who will replace him?....do we really think Dobbs or Landry Jones can get to the Super Bowl at the Steelers helm? Do we really think Tyrod Taylor, Kirk Cousins, Blake Bortles, Alex Smith can lead the Steelers to a SB?? IMO, its not likely, so I am all in on scouting to find the next QB in the draft, or somehow moving up to get that guy.

Ben was the #11 pick, Brees a 2nd round pick, Brady a 6th but most franchise QB's are 1st rounders and I think that will need to be the play going forward. It may mean a year without Ben where the Steelers go 8-8 to get them a shot at a QB in the draft, or it may be some shrewd scouting with the #32 pick. I just don't think you find that guy in free agency.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: QB's Playing This weekend

You probably won't find him in free agency, the chance to find that guy long term is through the draft

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

To answer your question, in the way you framed it, I'd say that Cousins could lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl with all the talent that is on this team. By the way, it's been almost 10 years since Ben won one, so it's not like he's taking the Steelers to the promised land every other year.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    To answer your question, in the way you framed it, I'd say that Cousins could lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl with all the talent that is on this team.
    Not at 30 millions per year

By the way, it's been almost 10 years since Ben won one, so it's not like he's taking the Steelers to the promised land every other year
    I hope you realize that winning a super bowl is very hard .... I mean, Rodgers has only 1, same thing for Favre....Before 2014, it took 10 years before Brady won a super bowl ....

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Not at 30 millions per year
    Then we better get lucky in the draft with a 3rd rounder.

I hope you realize that winning a super bowl is very hard .... I mean, Rodgers has only 1, same thing for Favre....Before 2014, it took 10 years before Brady won a super bowl ....
    Yeah that's my point.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Saints vs Panthers, this one is a coin flip. I like both defenses and both offenses have the ability to put up quick points. Saints at home isn't the same advantage it once was. Panthers have played streaky this whole season. If it comes down to who I trust to run a game winning drive, it's Brees. If someone has to put the team on his shoulders and just make a play to win, it's Newton. Should be a fun one to watch.

Falcons vs Rams, either the biggest upset of the weekend or a domination by the Rams. The Falcons can make splash plays with the best of them, they just don't play consistent enough to win this one I think. The Rams offense is geared to exploit pressure defenses. That is exactly what the Falcons run, get pressure on the QB. Falcons weakness has been stopping the run, Rams strength has been running Gurley early and often. I definitely like the Rams in this game.

Bills vs Jags, everything on paper says take the Jags big. I tend to agree with that thought. The Jags defense is for real and made to last. The Jags weakness is their offense. If Fournette can get his yards, it should be a long day for Bills fans. If the Bills defense can contain Fournette, I don't trust Bortles to be able to win it. The Bills can score, even against the Jags defense. If it comes down to Bortles vs the Bills, I'll take the Bills. If the Jags can get that run game on track, Jags by 20.

Titans vs Chiefs, this one has upset written all over it. The Chiefs have been playing better at the end of the season. The Titans defense is custom made by Lebeau to stop what the chiefs do. The Chiefs defense hasn't stopped anyone, they are 28th in yards allowed. The titans defense has quietly become the 4th stingiest vs the run. This one may come down to Hunt vs the Titans.

Cousins is inconsistent and often disappears in big games. Not the type of QB that wins Super Bowls

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Cousins is inconsistent and often disappears in big games. Not the type of QB that wins Super Bowls
    The Redskins have had big games?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

To answer your question, in the way you framed it, I'd say that Cousins could lead the Steelers to a Super Bowl with all the talent that is on this team. By the way, it's been almost 10 years since Ben won one, so it's not like he's taking the Steelers to the promised land every other year.
    I like Cousins, but I think with him at the helm the Steelers are like the Chiefs. Fighting hard each year to win their division and hopefully getting past the wildcard round. With Ben and a good cast, I think there are always realistic SB aspirations. Did anybody really pick the Chiefs or Washington to get to the SB in the preseason?? Vegas Odds were the Chiefs would have 9 wins and Washington 7.5

I think you have to find your franchise QB thru the draft and its not an easy thing to do.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

Titans vs Chiefs, this one has upset written all over it. The Chiefs have been playing better at the end of the season. The Titans defense is custom made by Lebeau to stop what the chiefs do. The Chiefs defense hasn't stopped anyone, they are 28th in yards allowed. The titans defense has quietly become the 4th stingiest vs the run. This one may come down to Hunt vs the Titans.
    I agree. I think this game could come down to Mariota daring to win, while Alex Smith tries not to lose...and the Titans O line taking control.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I like Cousins, but I think with him at the helm the Steelers are like the Chiefs. Fighting hard each year to win their division and hopefully getting past the wildcard round. With Ben and a good cast, I think there are always realistic SB aspirations. Did anybody really pick the Chiefs or Washington to get to the SB in the preseason?? Vegas Odds were the Chiefs would have 9 wins and Washington 7.5

I think you have to find your franchise QB thru the draft and its not an easy thing to do.
    But are you really comparing the talent on the Redskins to the talent on the Steelers??

For a guy who has put up Pro Bowl numbers three years in a row on a team with below average talent, he sure gets dissed a lot. Alex Smith is who he is at this point, but Cousins still has upside and placed in a winning organization he could definitely win a Super Bowl.

But are you really comparing the talent on the Redskins to the talent on the Steelers??

For a guy who has put up Pro Bowl numbers three years in a row on a team with below average talent, he sure gets dissed a lot. Alex Smith is who he is at this point, but Cousins still has upside and placed in a winning organization he could definitely win a Super Bowl.
    Again, I like Cousins, but I look at the Steelers every year with Ben and see the challenge of winning another and think its possible. I look at Cousins and think he is definitely a step down from Ben and similarly think....Cousins vs Ben is good for at least 2 fewer wins a season and that puts the Steelers in Wildcard hopeful situation.

If Ben walks away this year, then Cousins may be the best option and the Steelers are back to a team competing for playoffs, not competing for Super Bowls....but many of us have been there and its part of being a fan. I just think the next franchise QB will come from the draft again.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Again, I like Cousins, but I look at the Steelers every year with Ben and see the challenge of winning another and think its possible. I look at Cousins and think he is definitely a step down from Ben and similarly think....Cousins vs Ben is good for at least 2 fewer wins a season and that puts the Steelers in Wildcard hopeful situation.

If Ben walks away this year, then Cousins may be the best option and the Steelers are back to a team competing for playoffs, not competing for Super Bowls....but many of us have been there and its part of being a fan. I just think the next franchise QB will come from the draft again.
    But it might be another 20-year journey :-/

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Or just 1-2 years...We don't know....

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Or just 1-2 years...We don't know....
    Which is the difference between going with a known vs. unknown commodity.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post

Bills vs Jags, everything on paper says take the Jags big. I tend to agree with that thought. The Jags defense is for real and made to last. The Jags weakness is their offense. If Fournette can get his yards, it should be a long day for Bills fans. If the Bills defense can contain Fournette, I don't trust Bortles to be able to win it. The Bills can score, even against the Jags defense. If it comes down to Bortles vs the Bills, I'll take the Bills. If the Jags can get that run game on track, Jags by 20.
    Regarding the QB some of us cannot wait to bet against, some gambling advice from Bill Simmons

I know you want to bet against Blake Bortles.

I do, too.

I can’t wait.

It’s going to be glorious.

It doesn’t have to be this weekend.

Stick that anti-Bortles bet in the fridge for a week. Wrap it in tinfoil. Keep it nice and fresh. It will taste just as good next weekend.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2018/1...sto-five-picks

Bortles will completely implode at Heniz Field on January 14th. He will need therapy afterwards.

The Redskins have had big games?
    Stretch run of 2016 his play leveled off as the Redskins missed the playoffs capped off with an ugly performance against a Giants team at home with nothing to play for. Then there's the playoff game against the Packers where he fumbled 3 times and his team mustered 18 points against the Packers below average defense. Would cost more money's than he's worth

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Stretch run of 2016 his play leveled off as the Redskins missed the playoffs capped off with an ugly performance against a Giants team at home with nothing to play for. Then there's the playoff game against the Packers where he fumbled 3 times and his team mustered 18 points against the Packers below average defense. Would cost more money's than he's worth
    It's easy to frame things in a negative light but the reality is that there probably aren't more than 10 quarterbacks better than him the past 3 years.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

It's easy to frame things in a negative light but the reality is that there probably aren't more than 10 quarterbacks better than him the past 3 years.
    more of the reality is there are no better QB's available than he. But, is he worth the cash? I don't have enough energy to get into salary caps so I will let the armchair GM's do that.

I think the notion of "tanking" is so much better known now, than it was back then. But, seriously I do expect a down period of 5-7 seasons after Ben retires and before a suitable replacement is under center.