Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Steelers Could Do Worse Than Landry Jones

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers Could Do Worse Than Landry Jones

Landry Jones is certainly a player that Pittsburgh Steelers fans love to hate. The concept of a young backup quarterback who is not being groomed as a potential future franchise piece is seemingly a foreign concept to some, making it difficult to process Jones’ play through the appropriate lens.

Be that as it may, even his biggest detractors cannot deny that Jones has made progress over the past three seasons in his development, and Sunday’s game may have been his most consistent with respect to the throws that he was able to make, so I wanted to take a look at a number of examples today.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2018/01...-landry-jones/

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

Re: Steelers Could Do Worse Than Landry Jones

People keep telling me that Landry Jones is limited and can never be more than a decent backup QB. When I ask them *why*, they simply stare at me blankly as if it should be self- evident. I don't see how it's self- evident at all.
    We only really have 5 games to examine where he's demonstrating his ability as a starting QB. That's a pretty thin body of work to base a prediction on. When I look at those games, I'm not seeing the problem everybody seems to have with him. Perhaps someone will clue me in...

AFA whether the Steelers can do worse, I say absolutely. It's hard to imagine how they can't do worse. Bringing in an unknown rookie, throwing him to the sharks, and hoping he isn't a bust doesn't seem like a well thought out plan to me. And the FA route isn't even a viable option due to cap space issues. We could release most of our weapons in order to afford a b- list qb, but that would be a recipe for disaster.

No... If Ben retires, I think the starting QB spot is his to lose.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

You could do worse than diarrhea too, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to stick with diarrhea.

You know how Steelers fans are always bitching about how it took 20 years to find a quarterback between Bradshaw and Ben? Jones is one of those guys between Bradshaw and Ben, and not one of the better ones. He doesn't have "it" and he's not going to. It's unmistakable. Time to get our shit together and have a better plan ready by the time we need our next real QB. Jones had one good game (half a game really), and has generally looked like dogshit otherwise.

You know that Patriots game in the regular season when we had to use Jones at QB? That tells you all you need to know. You don't need a QB where you go "well, it was a pretty close game considering it was the backup." You need a QB who can go and actually win that game. Otherwise you're one of those 9-7 teams scrambling for a wild card one season and missing the playoffs the next, until you get tired of the bullshit and go find a better quarterback.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GoSlash27 View Post
    People keep telling me that Landry Jones is limited and can never be more than a decent backup QB. When I ask them *why*, they simply stare at me blankly as if it should be self- evident. I don't see how it's self- evident at all.
    We only really have 5 games to examine where he's demonstrating his ability as a starting QB. That's a pretty thin body of work to base a prediction on. When I look at those games, I'm not seeing the problem everybody seems to have with him. Perhaps someone will clue me in...

AFA whether the Steelers can do worse, I say absolutely. It's hard to imagine how they can't do worse. Bringing in an unknown rookie, throwing him to the sharks, and hoping he isn't a bust doesn't seem like a well thought out plan to me. And the FA route isn't even a viable option due to cap space issues. We could release most of our weapons in order to afford a b- list qb, but that would be a recipe for disaster.

No... If Ben retires, I think the starting QB spot is his to lose.

I agree. Anyone who thinks Jones hasn't improved as a QB wouldn't like him no matter how many games he won. We can't compare him to Ben, you can't really compare Ben to anyone. I don't see the Steelers stretching for a QB in the draft if Ben retires. Doesn't mean they won't try and pick someone up, but they might not. If Ben doesn't retire they won't pick one at all. There were many ragging on Jones for the pick he threw, but I didn't see it as a bad throw. El explained it best in post 38 here.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...977#post628977

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    You could do worse than diarrhea too, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea to stick with diarrhea.

You know how Steelers fans are always bitching about how it took 20 years to find a quarterback between Bradshaw and Ben? Jones is one of those guys between Bradshaw and Ben, and not one of the better ones. He doesn't have "it" and he's not going to. It's unmistakable. Time to get our shit together and have a better plan ready by the time we need our next real QB. Jones had one good game (half a game really), and has generally looked like dogshit otherwise.

You know that Patriots game in the regular season when we had to use Jones at QB? That tells you all you need to know. You don't need a QB where you go "well, it was a pretty close game considering it was the backup." You need a QB who can go and actually win that game. Otherwise you're one of those 9-7 teams scrambling for a wild card one season and missing the playoffs the next, until you get tired of the bullshit and go find a better quarterback.
    this

The steelers have to make a big effort to find a QB if Roethlisberger retire and I am confident that the steelers will make this effort.

Will the steelers find that QB? ... I do not know, but at least they have to make an effort ....We would be mediocre if Jones is our QB ...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I still remember Bill Polian saying that Jones was the best QB coming out, the year he was drafted.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I still remember Bill Polian saying that Jones was the best QB coming out, the year he was drafted.
    Because this draft class of QB in 2013 was one of the worst ever.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

One good thing about the Ben/Landry relationship is that Ben has never seen him as a threat so hopefully he's mentored Landry and that has contributed to his progress.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Because this draft class of QB in 2013 was one of the worst ever.
    Probably THE WORST! Lol

Top 5 QBs taken in 2013 Draft:

• E.J. Manuel (16th overall, 1st round, Bills)
    • Geno Smith (39th overall, 2nd round, Jets)
    • Mike Glennon (73rd overall, 3rd round, Bucs)
    • Matt Barkley (98th overall, 4th round, Eagles)
    • Ryan Nassib (110th overall, 4th round, Giants)

I'd take Landry over all 5.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

One good thing about the Ben/Landry relationship is that Ben has never seen him as a threat so hopefully he's mentored Landry and that has contributed to his progress.
    Good thing T.J. isn't a backup QB, Ben might be leaving the stadium.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I'm not a big Landry lover or 'believer' of him being a great QB. However playing time under his belt will only tell. Don't forget not many of us knew about BEN until that day Maddox went down. I would LOVE to see more of Dobbs playing though, unfortunately it's too late this year to see that happen. Not needed to be said.....it's playoff time and Ben has to be our leader in the next few games. I guess I'll have to have faith in our F.O. figuring out the QB situation here. Hopefully Ben will get us a RING this year and he'll decide to stay around for another year until our F.O. get's their crap together.

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    I'm not a big Landry lover or 'believer' of him being a great QB. However playing time under his belt will only tell. Don't forget not many of us knew about BEN until that day Maddox went down. I would LOVE to see more of Dobbs playing though, unfortunately it's too late this year to see that happen. Not needed to be said.....it's playoff time and Ben has to be our leader in the next few games. I guess I'll have to have faith in our F.O. figuring out the QB situation here. Hopefully Ben will get us a RING this year and he'll decide to stay around for another year until our F.O. get's their crap together.
    What part of their crap isn't together?

The voice of reason Array title="GoSlash27 has a reputation beyond repute"> GoSlash27's Avatar

He doesn't have "it" and he's not going to. It's unmistakable
    See... This is what I'm talking about. What the heck is "it"? The word "it" is meaningless without a definition.
    "You've heard people brag about 'being in the zone'. They don't know what the Hell being in the zone is about. I played in the NFL for 15 years and I was only in the zone that one time." - "Mean" Joe Greene on the 1974 playoff victory over Oakland

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So Landry Jones beats the browns and all of a sudden he's a viable option at qb?

You can win some games with Landry Jones but he's too limited to be a starter

I can not believe that he is in discussion to replace Ben when he retires

Our future QB is not in our roster right now.

Agreed, and I don't think he will be until 2019-2020. (as a drafted player)

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I can't believe there is this discussion either. Anyone who thinks he is a viable starter, well I'm glad they aren't in charge of the team. Starting Jones is a great way to ensure this team is not a contender. Landry supporters are really overreacting to 2 wins over the worst team in NFL history over a 2 year span

So everybody keeps saying. How, exactly, is he limited? I really need someone to explain this to me.

And to be clear, I'm not a supporter myself. I'm just on the fence, awaiting more info. At most, I see Jones as the least- bad option the Steelers have this year.

So everybody keeps saying. How, exactly, is he limited? I really need someone to explain this to me.

And to be clear, I'm not a supporter myself. I'm just on the fence, awaiting more info. At most, I see Jones as the least- bad option the Steelers have this year.
    Landry Jones=Trevor Siemian.....

I mean, I do not want to waste a season on whether Landry Jones is good or not ....

All that really matters is what the FO and Coaches think.

Landry Jones=Trevor Siemian.....
    Sorry, I need something more specific than that. What physical and/ or mental attributes does Landry Jones lack, which limit him from ever being a good starter?

I mean, I do not want to waste a season on whether Landry Jones is good or not ....
    Okay. Who *do* you want to waste a season on in order to figure out if they're good or not? There are no franchise QBs in this draft, and picking one of the FAs (who scarcely look any better than Jones) means gutting the team. I just don't see how we have much of a choice this season.

Sorry, I need something more specific than that. What physical and/ or mental attributes does Landry Jones lack, which limit him from ever being a good starter?

Okay. Who *do* you want to waste a season on in order to figure out if they're good or not? There are no franchise QBs in this draft, and picking one of the FAs (who scarcely look any better than Jones) means gutting the team. I just don't see how we have much of a choice this season.

I do not know what QB, but the steelers need to make a big effort to find a QB, but this situation is useless at the moment, since I would be very surprised if this is the last year of Roethlisberger.And It's not 2 wins against the browns that I'm going to be too confident about a QB ...Good backup QB but the reward that you can have on Jones is not worth the risk since the reward has a very good chance of being very low ...I'd rather take a chance on a rookie QB than his ceiling can be high than on Jones

The worst thing that Roethlisberger did is to admit that he was thinking about his future last year, since we have this discussion because of that, but I would not be surprised if Ben is still in the nfl in 4 -5 years.It was the same thing with Brett Favre.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

All that really matters is what the FO and Coaches think.
    No, all that matters is whether he's actually any good. If the front office thinks he's good but he's not, then there are shitty times ahead. Which is a shame because everyone else can see it.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

I'd rather take a chance on a rookie QB than his ceiling can be high than on Jones
    There's not anybody in this draft that fits that description. And even if there was, we'd still have to groom him. You can't just chuck a college QB into the NFL and expect him to be successful. Even in the situation where you have a potential superstar, you still have to start Jones while he gets acclimated.

And we're still throwing around the term "Jones' ceiling" as if it's an established fact, and I have yet to have anyone explain to me exactly what that is.

There's not anybody in this draft that fits that description. And even if there was, we'd still have to groom him. You can't just chuck a college QB into the NFL and expect him to be successful. Even in the situation where you have a potential superstar, you still have to start Jones while he gets acclimated.
    We have seen a lot of QB rookie have success since 2004.

To Roethlisberger in 2004 to Watson this year and a lot between that.

The key for a rookie QB is to be in a good situation and the steelers would be a great situation for a rookie QB.

I prefer to have a rookie first-round pick as QB that Landry Jones.I know rookies QB will make mistakes, but I can live with mistakes if you have a lot of potential.

For Landry Jones, the last thing I have to say about him is that Jones was a free agent last year and nobody offered Landry Jones to compete for a starting job in the nfl, which is why Jones has been back with us.

We have seen a lot of QB rookie have success since 2004.

To Roethlisberger in 2004 to Watson this year and a lot between that.
    They were both first rounders and neither of them started. Tommy Maddox started Ben's rookie season and Tom Savage started for the Texans this year. Just the same as what would happen here if there was a potential franchise rookie: We'd plug him in at backup and Landry Jones would start. And there's not a potential franchise rookie this year anyway, so there's that...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They were both first rounders and neither of them started. Tommy Maddox started Ben's rookie season and Tom Savage started for the Texans this year. Just the same as what would happen here if there was a potential franchise rookie: We'd plug him in at backup and Landry Jones would start. And there's not a potential franchise rookie this year anyway, so there's that...
    Ummm. There is somewhere between 3 and 6 guys projected as franchise guys. Maybe not the best ceiling but this QB class is one of the deepest in many years.

It was a huge mistake for the Texans to start Savage instead of Watson to start the season.The Steelers would not have had 15-1 in 2004 and probably not won the Super Bowl in 2005 if Maddox would not have been injured but I'm not blaming Cowher on that since in that time, the rookie QB was almost always on the bench in their rookie season but it has changed since the success of Roethlisberger in 2004.

But the point is that many have had success as rookie season since several years....Dak, Russell Wilson, RGIII, Andrew Luck and even Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco...His QB all started in week 1 and they all made the playoffs.

For the quality of QB for the next draft, I do not know, I have not looked at that yet.

Ummm. There is somewhere between 3 and 6 guys projected as franchise guys. Maybe not the best ceiling but this QB class is one of the deepest in many years.
    Yeah, I should be more precise: There are no franchise guys that *we* can get.

Yeah, I should be more precise: There are no franchise guys that *we* can get.
    A trade up can be a possibility even if the price is very high

If there are 6 we must be redefining what franchise means since there are only about 10 of them in the entire NFL.