Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raiders preparing to go after Gruden

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Raiders preparing to go after Gruden

The Oakland Raiders are preparing to pursue ESPN analyst Jon Gruden with an offer so strong it could even include an ownership stake in the team, according to league sources.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...wnership-stake

Gruden's record at Tampa Bay after the 2002 season Super Bowl win

2003 7-9
    2004 5-11
    2005 11-5
    2006 4-12
    2007 9-7
    2008 9-7

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...es/GrudJo0.htm

Pretty mediocre back end of coaching career

As is the case with Cowher (who IMO is quite happy cashing checks from CBS), that is a long time away from the sidelines for a coach to come back. But is the sort of hiring move I would expect from a clown owner like Davis.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Raiders preparing to go after Gruden

In his defense of Gruden in his last few years with Tampa Bay, the bucs had lost several players from their 2002 team and the bucs had given 2 first round pick to have Gruden, so it's harder to build a team when you not have first round pick for 2 years.....

Of course he was not perfect, but he's way better than Jack Del Rio.

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    In his defense of Gruden in his last few years with Tampa Bay, the bucs had lost several players from their 2002 team and the bucs had given 2 first round pick to have Gruden, so it's harder to build a team when you not have first round pick for 2 years.....

Of course he was not perfect, but he's way better than Jack Del Rio.
    The Ravens have had some great OC’s and DC’s (or coaches that became coordinators), but none have turned into great HC’s. Del Rio included.

Quote Originally Posted by Crow-Magnon View Post
    The Ravens have had some great OC’s and DC’s (or coaches that became coordinators), but none have turned into great HC’s. Del Rio included.
    Even as DC, Del Rio was average at best.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I'll be honest and say I'm not one of the "Gruden is a god" Raiders fans. I will say I'd love to have him back, if it means getting Del Rio out.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

I wouldn't mortgage the team for Gruden. Is he really worth it? He's been out of coaching too long. I would look somewhere else other than a network bench.
    All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Overrated
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    I wouldn't mortgage the team for Gruden. Is he really worth it? He's been out of coaching too long. I would look somewhere else other than a network bench.
    I tend to agree with you. On the other hand, he has been watching and studying other teams and coaches for 10 years or so. I'm sure he's learned a few things.

If getting him back means Del Rio is out, and Reggie along with him, I'm all for it.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Gruden would be a good move for the Raiders and Raider Nation. Moving to Las Vegas is the bone head play.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Gruden would be a good move for the Raiders and Raider Nation. Moving to Las Vegas is the bone head play.
    As opposed to staying in the ghetto that is Oakland? As opposed to playing in a dump of a stadium in the hood. As opposed to getting a state of the art stadium that surpasses even Jones' crib? I think I'll take Vegas, thank you!

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Hey...if it means getting Gruden's ass out of the booth so I don't have to listen to him again, I'm all for it.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Hey...if it means getting Gruden's ass out of the booth so I don't have to listen to him again, I'm all for it.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Agree!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Look! It's Antonio "Bryant" and "Randall" Gay!

I predict that Rex Ryan will replace Jon Gruden for the MNF if he becomes HC.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    As opposed to staying in the ghetto that is Oakland? As opposed to playing in a dump of a stadium in the hood. As opposed to getting a state of the art stadium that surpasses even Jones' crib? I think I'll take Vegas, thank you!
    OR....Do like other professional team cities and build a wonderful new stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    OR....Do like other professional team cities and build a wonderful new stadium.
    Well...... that was the plan, but Oakland doesn't want any part of it. That's why Al moved the team to LA in the first place. Mark tried to work with the city, and really wanted to keep the team in Oakland, but it just wasn't going to happen, so...............

For the record.... I would love to see the Oakland Raiders remain the Oakland Raiders. I hated the move to LA, and I loved when they came home. I hate seeing them move again, but I really don't blame Mark for this.

I've been a Raiders fan for 50 years, so this move doesn't sit well with me on many levels, but it is what it is, and I will continue to be a Raiders fan because at the end of the day, that's all any of us are.... just fans with no say in any of it...lol.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Look! It's Antonio "Bryant" and "Randall" Gay!

Where is "Jojo" Schuster-Smith?

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I think there are better options. In theory he could work in Oakland because the Raiders have some talented players for him to inherit and that is when he seems to be at his best, but I think they are better off going with a younger talented untested coordinator (where most of the great coaching hires come from) not a 50+ year old retread that hadn't coached a down in 9 years

Quote Originally Posted by silver & black View Post
    Well...... that was the plan, but Oakland doesn't want any part of it. That's why Al moved the team to LA in the first place. Mark tried to work with the city, and really wanted to keep the team in Oakland, but it just wasn't going to happen, so...............

For the record.... I would love to see the Oakland Raiders remain the Oakland Raiders. I hated the move to LA, and I loved when they came home. I hate seeing them move again, but I really don't blame Mark for this.

I've been a Raiders fan for 50 years, so this move doesn't sit well with me on many levels, but it is what it is, and I will continue to be a Raiders fan because at the end of the day, that's all any of us are.... just fans with no say in any of it...lol.
    I get it that the city of Oakland didn't go along with the stadium plan. AND I understand the owner(s) not being happy and moving to some place where they feel more 'love'. But honestly, nothing good ever happens in Vegas.(When it comes to pro sports). I can't see this being a good move for the Raiders. I don't understand the league approving the move in the first place. IMO, this is the bonehead move. Not necessarily the Raiders finding a new home. Personally, I would love to see the same thing as you, and the Raiders in Oakland. If moving, I would be more onboard with SanAntonio, or St.Louis. Just not the same feel.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I'm just hoping that MNF becomes watchable again.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    They need a complete overhaul.

McDonagh sucks and Gruden has turned senile.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    They need a complete overhaul.

McDonagh sucks and Gruden has turned senile.
    It's funny because Gruden is starting to remind me of Madden in his later years.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I hope they follow the Rooney Rule procedure. Just sayin'.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Over rated.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Oakland is getting ready to bite into a crap sandwich. Gruden... OVER-------------------RATED! He's a blowhard.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Oakland is getting ready to bite into a crap sandwich. Gruden... OVER-------------------RATED! He's a blowhard.
    Yep. I said it in post #8 above.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Unless the Steeler's are playing, I can't watch MNF more than a few minutes. The buffoons are unwatchable, know nothing about football, and Gruden is so out-of-touch with what's going on he's laughable. Besides, usually the ref's take me out of the game.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Oh, it's watchable.....with the sound off.