Thread: Ravens coach John Harbaugh not pleased Sunday's game moved later

Senior Member Array title="vader29 has a reputation beyond repute"> vader29's Avatar

Ravens coach John Harbaugh not pleased Sunday's game moved later

OWINGS MILLS, Md. -- Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh isn't pleased with the NFL's decision to move kickoff for Sunday's pivotal game against the Cincinnati Bengals to 4:25 p.m. ET, especially if it affects the size of the crowd at M&T Bank Stadium.

"I don't think the NFL did us any favors by moving it back," Harbaugh said Tuesday. "But they don't care about us. So, we just have to care about ourselves. We have to take care of our own business. That goes for our team, for our fans and for our city. Let's go win the football game."

The NFL shifted five games from 1 p.m. to 4:25 p.m. ET because of playoff implications. In the case of the AFC, the games involving the Ravens, Tennessee Titans and Buffalo Bills were moved because they wanted all the teams vying for a wild-card berth to be playing at the same time. Because the Los Angeles Chargers begin late in the afternoon Sunday, Baltimore, Tennessee and Buffalo had their kickoffs pushed more than three hours later.

Read more: http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...me-was-changed

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

Re: Ravens coach John Harbaugh not pleased Sunday's game moved later

He can come off a bit whiny. But if I paid $$$ for a NYE dinner and party, and expected to get home from M&T at 5:00 or 5:30 and now I won't get home until 8:00 or 8:30, I'd be pissed.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

NFL sux but I never knew they had the option to eliminate the SNF game

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Harbaugh is “whiney” but he’s 100% correct here. It’s a bullshit and selfish move by the NFL.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

They pulled SNF for ratings. Harbaugh would whine about the weather too. He's a decent coach, but a big ahole.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The NFL do this every year to have the most important games possible in week 17 ....

If we took a breath and think about it for a moment, the move makes a lot of sense. Instead of sitting in the lockerroom and watching TV, only to learn thirty minutes before gametime that you no longer had a chance of making the playoffs or that you could no longer be eliminated from the playoffs even if you lost, it would drastically affect the game. This way, every team goes into the game thinking it is a must-win. It assures a better game and more-importantly, you don't have one team half-assing it because they just learned they can no longer be eliminated, but by doing so, they lose to a team that then makes the playoffs instead of another team (or by losing, causes another team that should have made now to lose through a tie-breaker or something).

No, outside of the blind Goodell hatred around here, this move actually makes a lot of sense for fairness of the game itself. Is it fair to the fans that bought tickets? Perhaps not. But to the teams themselves and the fairness of standings, it's one of the few good moves the NFL has made.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    If we took a breath and think about it for a moment, the move makes a lot of sense. Instead of sitting in the lockerroom and watching TV, only to learn thirty minutes before gametime that you no longer had a chance of making the playoffs or that you could no longer be eliminated from the playoffs even if you lost, it would drastically affect the game. This way, every team goes into the game thinking it is a must-win. It assures a better game and more-importantly, you don't have one team half-assing it because they just learned they can no longer be eliminated, but by doing so, they lose to a team that then makes the playoffs instead of another team (or by losing, causes another team that should have made now to lose through a tie-breaker or something).

No, outside of the blind Goodell hatred around here, this move actually makes a lot of sense for fairness of the game itself. Is it fair to the fans that bought tickets? Perhaps not. But to the teams themselves and the fairness of standings, it's one of the few good moves the NFL has made.
    Agreed - I like the NFL setting the matchups where teams competing for a playoff slot are playing at the same time

Also like no SNF game - Falcons/Panthers was the likely matchup but if the Saints had already won Panthers would sit everyone

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

So harbaugh is not pleased with something, in other news the sun set in the West today

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Agreed - I like the NFL setting the matchups where teams competing for a playoff slot are playing at the same time

Also like no SNF game - Falcons/Panthers was the likely matchup but if the Saints had already won Panthers would sit everyone
    I like the start times as well. Some team is going to have a game delay just to try and get some advantage though. I wonder who it will be.
    I would also like to see the Saints go ahead and win the South. Keep the streak of no team winning back to back division crowns going.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

They do this in other leagues (European soccer for example) to prevent intentionally tanking games. I think it's a good idea. Anyone remember a few years ago when there were a couple of seasons where we would've needed help from Cincinnati or NE in the Sunday Night game to get the last wildcard, and all the other games went our way in the early game, then they just laid down and died? This makes that kind of thing a lot less likely.

For an interesting story about this, look up Algeria in the (I believe) 1982 World Cup. There was some weird scenario where they played their final group game first, and then it benefited BOTH teams in the other game if the score was exactly 1-0 for a certain side, and then they would both advance. So they allowed a goal immediately and then both just stood there running out the clock for the entire game. Not quite the same thing, but since then I think most soccer leagues play all their deciding games at the same time.
    See you Space Cowboy ...