Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Steelers activate Gilbert; release James Harrison

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Steelers activate Gilbert; release James Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    I do not control who posts here but I do control who I reply to and read.

Thanks for encouraging me to make a New Year's resolution by editing my ignore list
    In otherwords you admit this is right, "You really think Belichick was leading Garoppolo on? You think Belichick told Garoppolo you're going to play 25% of the snaps just to keep him around like Tomlin told Harrison? C'mon man. Furthermore, Garoppolo is about to make a fortune. Yeah, Belichick really screwed him over.", and you were wrong.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post

I sure hope so, this isn't a Pats forum and Harrison is no long a Steeler. Please kill it.

BostonBlackie

Before two sacks to end the game, Harrison’s highlight play came early in the third quarter when he backpedaled at the snap, planted his foot into the ground, then charged downhill and wrapped up receiver Robby Anderson short of the sticks for a stop on third-and-5. It was a textbook play in which he said he had outside responsibilities to make sure everything stayed to the inside part of the field and that meant also being aware of anyone coming across to his side of the field. The play was a reflection of how the 39-year-old Harrison still has something left in the tank.

But perhaps more importantly for the Patriots was what happened afterwards: safety/captain Devin McCourty and linebacker Elandon Roberts sprinted toward Harrison and celebrated with him. In a sense, it was like an official welcome to the defense.

"That's the building of the brotherhood," Harrison explained.

http://www.espn.com/blog/boston/new-...nch-home-field

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post

Happy New Year Lady.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

I guess Harrison made the right choice...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Meh. https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/1/15...ns-at-patriots

"Lastly, in his second game with the Patriots, former Steelers linebacker James Harrison logged 30 snaps playing mostly outside linebacker against the Titans.
    Harrison did not record a pressure in 12 pass rush snaps but did make three tackles, including two run stops in the divisional round. "

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

"Lastly, in his second game with the Patriots, former Steelers linebacker James Harrison logged 30 snaps playing mostly outside linebacker against the Titans.
    Harrison did not record a pressure in 12 pass rush snaps but did make three tackles, including two run stops in the divisional round. "
    Wasn't that the entire reason they picked him up?

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

It's ok, the Steelers have Dupree. Haha
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Could have used him to set the edge last Sunday.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Meh. https://www.patspulpit.com/2018/1/15...ns-at-patriots

Asshole T.Oed his way out of Pittsburgh, ruined his legacy for 12 snaps in a playoff game, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Asshole T.Oed his way out of Pittsburgh, ruined his legacy for 12 snaps in a playoff game, LOL
    Harrison doesn't care about a legacy. He wanted to play football. Tomlin didn't play him. Now Harrison is playing football again while the Steelers are spectators. It turned out to be great for both sides. Harrison is playing for a team that could go to the SB and the Steelers have Dupree...haha.
    Hater = Realist

Harrison announced today that he’s waiting until after the draft to sign with his next team. Guess he learned his lesson about trying to outplay a rookie...

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Far classier to release Harrison and allow him the chance to resurface on another playoff roster or at least a team that will give him an opportunity to put some recent play on film.

It’s better than not activating him each week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I tend to agree.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Harrison announced today that he’s waiting until after the draft to sign with his next team. Guess he learned his lesson about trying to outplay a rookie...

But Harrison wasn't given a chance to outplay Watt. Watt was handed the starting the second he was drafted.

I hope Tomlin gives someone a chance to outplay Dupree. The team needs an OLB that can get to the passer under his own ability/skill.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    But Harrison wasn't given a chance to outplay Watt. Watt was handed the starting the second he was drafted.

I hope Tomlin gives someone a chance to outplay Dupree. The team needs an OLB that can get to the passer under his own ability/skill.
    Harrison probably would not have outplayed Watt anyways ... that said it is hard to imagine he would not have out played dupree
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Nor should've Harrison been given the chance. He was too old and wasn't the future of the position. If you never give a rookie a chance to develop, you'll never stay competitive.

Harrison is playing it smart now. I bet he goes to a team that failed to get a linebacker and is struggling to find someone to fill the position. He'll do so precisely because that team doesn't have anyone that might be the future there.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Nor should've Harrison been given the chance. He was too old and wasn't the future of the position. If you never give a rookie a chance to develop, you'll never stay competitive.

Harrison is playing it smart now. I bet he goes to a team that failed to get a linebacker and is struggling to find someone to fill the position. He'll do so precisely because that team doesn't have anyone that might be the future there.
    In other words, starting positions shouldn't be based on ability. I guess that's why Jones was repeatedly given the starting job.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Harrison probably would not have outplayed Watt anyways ... that said it is hard to imagine he would not have out played dupree
    Yep. Watt lived up to the billing.

As far as Dupree goes, Harrison will not play on that side. The Steelers might have opted to move Watt to Dupree’s side... but, I am also fine with Watt playing on the “more important” side.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Harrison asked for his release after the first game of the season. When he wasn’t immediately released, Harrison’s response was to throw a temper tantrum.

Whether Harrison could play or not... whether Harrison still fit the Steelers’ scheme or not... none of that is irrelevant. Harrison acted like a petulant toddler, and thus his behavior warranted his release.

I don't care if he gets 5 sacks in the divisional round. He HAD to go. Period.
    Agreed.

After what happened last season there is no way I would want Harrison around again.

I am surprised this is even being debated.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

In other words, starting positions shouldn't be based on ability. I guess that's why Jones was repeatedly given the starting job.
    Starting positions are based on ability and future possibility. If the Steelers ran their team the way you seem to want, they'd have a couple of good years and then half a decade of bad years because the young players wouldn't be developed enough to take over spots from aging veterans yet, but the aging veterans wouldn't be quite good enough to keep the team in the game against opponents. No thanks. I'd rather give young players a chance to develop. This isn't college football.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Harrison asked for his release after the first game of the season. When he wasn’t immediately released, Harrison’s response was to throw a temper tantrum.

Whether Harrison could play or not... whether Harrison still fit the Steelers’ scheme or not... none of that is irrelevant. Harrison acted like a petulant toddler, and thus his behavior warranted his release.

I don't care if he gets 5 sacks in the divisional round. He HAD to go. Period.
    Just read this. Absolutely right.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Starting positions are based on ability and future possibility. If the Steelers ran their team the way you seem to want, they'd have a couple of good years and then half a decade of bad years because the young players wouldn't be developed enough to take over spots from aging veterans yet, but the aging veterans wouldn't be quite good enough to keep the team in the game against opponents. No thanks. I'd rather give young players a chance to develop. This isn't college football.

- - - Updated - - -

Just read this. Absolutely right.
    But Watt was handed the starting role before he even practiced. You're right, it's crazy of me to think ability has anything to do with starting.

If I ran the team Kordell would have never been the QB. But then again ability is not important, right? Jarvis Jones is a classic example of no ability, but handed the starting job each season. It's pure genius.

Tomlin jerked Harrison around so Harrison had enough.

I never said deny young players playing time. I'm not against starting rookies or anyone if they show they can play. Crazy huh?
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

But Watt was handed the starting role before he even practiced. You're right, it's crazy of me to think ability has anything to do with starting.

If I ran the team Kordell would have never been the QB. But then again ability is not important, right? Jarvis Jones is a classic example of no ability, but handed the starting job each season. It's pure genius.

Tomlin jerked Harrison around so Harrison had enough.

I never said deny young players playing time. I'm not against starting rookies or anyone if they show they can play. Crazy huh?
    Every single season Jones and Harrison were on the roster, Harrison played at worst an even split in total defensive snaps. Usually more, even when Jarvis was healthy. Jones ran out of the tunnel as the “starter” but Harrison typically got all the snaps that mattered. A nice way to balance player development and veteran achievement. Of course you have been presented with all this information multiple times and refuse to engage with it. Just figure if you repeat something enough it will be true.

But why let facts and actual data get in the way of a good rant? Why let the modern realities of NFL roster construction and the salary cap that basically mandate cheap draft picks be given every opportunity over mid to high priced veterans have any impact on your thinking.

Despite what you seem to think, no one claims that Jones was better than Harrison. Playing time demonstrates the coaching staff knew that as well. This isn’t high school. It’s pro ball. So why people get so hung up on Jarvis getting gifted a varsity letter eludes me.

I totally forgot. In the version where Kordell doesn’t play QB, who does? Kent Graham? Miller? Random 4th round draft pick?

Again it isn’t like many people are lining up to laud Stewart, but the other options were worse. Unless I’m forgetting someone who even displayed competency.

I mean it got so bad that I remember Tomcazk and Maddox fondly.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

I mean it got so bad that I remember Tomcazk and Maddox fondly.
    I had almost had that stuff wiped from my memory banks , how will I ever be able to thank you for restoring those atrocities
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now