Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011

Thread: Steelers activate Gilbert; release James Harrison

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Steelers activate Gilbert; release James Harrison

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I had almost had that stuff wiped from my memory banks , how will I ever be able to thank you for restoring those atrocities
    Remember the game where Mike Tomczak fell down and threw a lame duck while lying on the ground?

Still more accurate than Kordell in the red-zone.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    I had almost had that stuff wiped from my memory banks , how will I ever be able to thank you for restoring those atrocities
    Well there’s always Tee Martin.

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    But Watt was handed the starting role before he even practiced.
    And you know this how? I'd love to read the story (or listen if it on video) where Tomlin announces Watt was given the starting role before May 12th of last year, which was the first time he practiced (and two weeks or so after he was drafted).

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I totally forgot. In the version where Kordell doesn’t play QB, who does? Kent Graham? Miller? Random 4th round draft pick?

Again it isn’t like many people are lining up to laud Stewart, but the other options were worse. Unless I’m forgetting someone who even displayed competency.

I mean it got so bad that I remember Tomcazk and Maddox fondly.
    Anyone was better than Kordell. They gave Miller 3 quarters and sent him away. They gave a useless pustule like Kordell 5 years. All they need was a Dilfer and they would have had perhaps 2 SBs. The Steelers didn't even try to find a replacement.

Thankfully Maddox put an end to the Kordell experiment.
    Hater = Realist

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Every single season Jones and Harrison were on the roster, Harrison played at worst an even split in total defensive snaps. Usually more, even when Jarvis was healthy. Jones ran out of the tunnel as the “starter” but Harrison typically got all the snaps that mattered. A nice way to balance player development and veteran achievement. Of course you have been presented with all this information multiple times and refuse to engage with it. Just figure if you repeat something enough it will be true.

But why let facts and actual data get in the way of a good rant? Why let the modern realities of NFL roster construction and the salary cap that basically mandate cheap draft picks be given every opportunity over mid to high priced veterans have any impact on your thinking.

Despite what you seem to think, no one claims that Jones was better than Harrison. Playing time demonstrates the coaching staff knew that as well. This isn’t high school. It’s pro ball. So why people get so hung up on Jarvis getting gifted a varsity letter eludes me.
    Starting is important. It's about getting into the flow. If starting doesn't matter then why do players want to start? Would any player want to share playing time with an inferior player like Jones?

Jones was in during key moments of game. Remember the Dallas game? Jones should have never been on the field during blow out games or to give a breather. Most importantly Jones should have never been on the field in the 4th quarter. But hey, don't let fact and logic get in the way. Let's keep playing an obvious no-talent bum like Jones at the cost of the team.

Remember Huey Richardson? Cowher tossed that trash out quickly. I know, I know, let Richardson start for 4 years in spite of his inabilities. Why move onto to better options or untested options? Let's keep driving that square peg into the round hole.

Watt looks promising, but the Steelers still need an OLB on the other side.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    And you know this how? I'd love to read the story (or listen if it on video) where Tomlin announces Watt was given the starting role before May 12th of last year, which was the first time he practiced (and two weeks or so after he was drafted).
    Tomlin stated it. I believe he said something like he was the starter since day zero...
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

What if.....Steelers take an edge, pure pass rusher at 28, and move Dupree to play the Shazier spot? Just thinking...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    What if.....Steelers take an edge, pure pass rusher at 28, and move Dupree to play the Shazier spot? Just thinking...

I've been voicing this since the end of the season, why not try Bud inside? He just may excel.

Senior Member Array title="Dwinsgames has a reputation beyond repute"> Dwinsgames's Avatar

Tomlin stated it. I believe he said something like he was the starter since day zero...
    also heard the bold...

on top of that it was clear if not a word was spoken ( but words where spoken on it ) when you take the most productive guy from the prior year and do not let him pad up all of training camp or preseason and he has zero snaps going into the regular season its pretty clear you have no intent of using him .....

but again like I stated earlier knowing what we know now Harrison would not have likely beaten out Watt , but I still believe in jobs being won and lost based on what you do on the field of play via training camp /practice/gameplay ... jobs should be handed out based on merit not draft slotting and Watt clearly got him based on draft slotting .... it worked out this time but often times that is not the case .....

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...ince-day-zero/

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/s...ames-harrison/
    Last edited by Dwinsgames; 04-07-2018 at 11:35 AM.
    Kenny Pickett is who I though he was .. Eagles problem now

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Starting is important. It's about getting into the flow. If starting doesn't matter then why do players want to start? Would any player want to share playing time with an inferior player like Jones?

Jones was in during key moments of game. Remember the Dallas game? Jones should have never been on the field during blow out games or to give a breather. Most importantly Jones should have never been on the field in the 4th quarter. But hey, don't let fact and logic get in the way. Let's keep playing an obvious no-talent bum like Jones at the cost of the team.

Remember Huey Richardson? Cowher tossed that trash out quickly. I know, I know, let Richardson start for 4 years in spite of his inabilities. Why move onto to better options or untested options? Let's keep driving that square peg into the round hole.
    If you can't see the numerous differences between the Huey Richardson situation and that of Jones - then I don't see how any realistic conversation about the draft, roster construction, and rookie playing time can continue.

1. Richardson was drafted by the Noll regime and it is publicly acknowledged that he was a "panic" pick in the draft room and there was never a plan for how he would fit into the defense. He had no role/position in the 3-4 and he wasn't really very good at the NFL level to boot.
    2. Richardson was drafted by the old Noll staff and then traded (instead of cut) by the new Cowher regime. Good on Bill for recognizing a bust when he saw it.
    3. All this went down before the start of free agency and the cap. So roster construction ideas, models, and priorities were very very different to the ones in pace currently.
    4. Since the rookie wage scale came into being (just prior to Jarvis' draft year) the NFL have demonstrated that there is one shared truth about roster spots and the cap in the NFL - get a few high $$$ stars then fill around them with cost controlled players on cheap-o rookie deals. That is the driving force in the current NFL. It influences every single decision that is made by a franchise.

But I suspect these points are too subtle and seemingly unimportant for your consideration.

Also all of your claims about Stewart, other than the fact that he struggled in big moments are not true.

1. Went 11-5 in his first year as a starter and lost in the AFC Championship game.
    2. The next year was a total disaster on offense.
    3. 2000 - Cowher tried to replace Stewart with Kent Grahamn. That did not go well.
    4. 2001 - Clements and Mularkey looked like they had coached Stewart into being a pretty potent offensive weapon. Made the Pro Bowl and everything. And then the first of many Patriots related bad things happened.
    5. 2002 - gets benched in favor of Maddox. Released at the end of the season.

So we can see that during his "Career" as the Steelers starting QB he was replaced as the "starter" (which is a precious jewel of a designation) twice. Once the entire offensive set-up was shifted to try and maximize his talents. But the real trouble is that from 1997-2004 only Tee Martin and Brian St. Pierre were drafted to "compete". This was Cowher's blindspot - he totally did not value the QB position and failed to see the shift away from "3 yards and a cloud of dust" football. He just didn't think he needed to do anything besides knock the hell outta teams on defense and hold onto the ball on offense to win. It took the Rooney's forcing his hand in 2004 to change the course of the franchise. I have long suspected that Cowher simply hated the idea of paying some snot-nosed rookie QB more than the established veteran "guys" on the roster.

So long story not all that short, we are trying to draw comparisons between 3 eras of roster rules (no cap, cap with no rookie scale, and rookie wage scale w/cap), 3 coaching staffs, and about 3 different positions. The ONLY thing the tales of Richardson, Stewart, Jones, and Harrison have in common is the decal on the side of their helmet. Nothing else is comparable.

Hmm, I found this interesting. Not that I believed you were lying, rather, I wanted to see it in context. Here's what I found.

"He's been in that position really since Day 0," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said of Watt, per ESPN. "You don't like to anoint people. You like to watch them earn it. We didn't put it on paper. But it won't be like he'll be in a new position when he gets here on Wednesday. He'll be in the same spot in the huddle he was in yesterday."
    Now, that alone doesn't prove to me that he was going to be the starter since day zero, only that they were penciling him in, but he still had to earn it. That would make a lot more sense. However, then there's this Joey Porter quote also quoted in the link above:

"That's why he's [James Harrison] here; he's going to fight it," Porter told the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette at the time. "But his role is his role. He's a relief pitcher. Until we need you, the young guys are going to play. You're a good safety net to have; if somebody's not getting the job done, we happen to know we have a wily veteran that we can put into the game. But to be honest going in, we have two young first-rounders who shouldn't be tired. And when they do get tired, we'll make the adjustments we need to."I know the old guy wants to play but at the same time it's hard to get in there if those guys are doing the job. If they're doing their job and they're playing at a high level, the understanding is understood. You don't have to explain anything that you can see right there on tape."
    On his part, Harrison said he would do "whatever they want me to do."
    That makes it seem as though it was predetermined. So, I'll agree with you that Watt came into camp slotted as a starter, but I think it was more of "It's yours to win or lose." If he didn't impress in camp or in preseason, then he would have lost it and Harrison would have seen a lot more playing time. But, Watt ended up playing very well and alleviating several of my concerns for him. (I'm still concerned with him getting eating up by OTs at times and hope he'd hit the weight room hard this offseason, but I have little doubt he's done just that, as well). Since Watt did, the coaches had little reason to play Harrison.

I'm also interested in Harrison's quote. "Whatever they want me to do." That didn't seem to be the case in the end. Personally, I can't say I blame him in the sense that I'd want to play as well in that position. However, if that were true, then keep your mouth shut while your team is situating for a playoff run and then push to be released in the offseason (or just go elsewhere if you're a free agent).

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Hmm, I found this interesting. Not that I believed you were lying, rather, I wanted to see it in context. Here's what I found.

Now, that alone doesn't prove to me that he was going to be the starter since day zero, only that they were penciling him in, but he still had to earn it. That would make a lot more sense. However, then there's this Joey Porter quote also quoted in the link above:

That makes it seem as though it was predetermined. So, I'll agree with you that Watt came into camp slotted as a starter, but I think it was more of "It's yours to win or lose." If he didn't impress in camp or in preseason, then he would have lost it and Harrison would have seen a lot more playing time. But, Watt ended up playing very well and alleviating several of my concerns for him. (I'm still concerned with him getting eating up by OTs at times and hope he'd hit the weight room hard this offseason, but I have little doubt he's done just that, as well). Since Watt did, the coaches had little reason to play Harrison.

I'm also interested in Harrison's quote. "Whatever they want me to do." That didn't seem to be the case in the end. Personally, I can't say I blame him in the sense that I'd want to play as well in that position. However, if that were true, then keep your mouth shut while your team is situating for a playoff run and then push to be released in the offseason (or just go elsewhere if you're a free agent).

Of course not, he thought the position was his, still thinking Dick Lebeau is running the defense where rookies sit on the bench for three years and rot.

I couldn't get the quote buttons to work so good. But this is the key for me:

"If they're doing their job and they're playing at a high level, the understanding is understood. You don't have to explain anything that you can see right there on tape."To me that means that from Porter to Butler to Tomlin there is a standard of evaluation and priorities for the OLB position and as long as Dupree and Watt were executing them to whatever degree the staff felt was sufficient - they were going to eat all the snaps they could physically handle.

So basically what EVERY team in the league does to develop young players. So stupid. I can't believe how dumb this defensive staff is. Morons.