Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Steelers sign Ridley

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Re: Steelers sign Ridley

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I believe the favorite on here is DWill. DWill said early on that he plans on keeping in shape and playing for some team this season. Not sure why he wasn't brought in over Ridley. I'm sure he got a call at least, but wonder what the deciding part is. DWill checks literally ALL the boxes heading into the post season. Ridley checks the one beside RB. I just wish I knew more details on this move.
    FWIW Ed.B. of the P-G not a fan of bringing DWill back

any DeAngelo Williams sightings on the South Side this morning?
    Ed Bouchette: Please. If there were, he'd probably show up hurt.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201712190104

Gerry Dulac questions the signing

Steven Ridley over DeAngelo Williams or Terrell Watson....right call?

Gerry Dulac -We'll find out. I would have signed Watson. Why do you feel you need a veteran (and a retread one at that) when it was a rookie who was injured. Replace a rookie with rookie, what's wrong with that?

Why sign a running back that has not been on the team? Haven't we been down this road before?
    Gerry Dulac - Yes they have. His name is Ben Tate. How did that work out?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201712200110

Injuries in both seasons (going down in week 17 against Clevekand was a killer for the 2015 playoff run with Bell already gone) and while the cluster in the AFC championship game was a team effort DWill did not deliver after Bell went down (14 carries/34 yards) - Steelers may simply think DWill is done.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    FWIW Ed.B. of the P-G not a fan of bringing DWill back

any DeAngelo Williams sightings on the South Side this morning?
    Ed Bouchette: Please. If there were, he'd probably show up hurt.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201712190104

Gerry Dulac questions the signing

Steven Ridley over DeAngelo Williams or Terrell Watson....right call?

Gerry Dulac -We'll find out. I would have signed Watson. Why do you feel you need a veteran (and a retread one at that) when it was a rookie who was injured. Replace a rookie with rookie, what's wrong with that?

Why sign a running back that has not been on the team? Haven't we been down this road before?
    Gerry Dulac - Yes they have. His name is Ben Tate. How did that work out?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201712200110

Injuries in both seasons (going down in week 17 against Clevekand was a killer for the 2015 playoff run with Bell already gone) and while the cluster in the AFC championship game was a team effort DWill did not deliver after Bell went down (14 carries/34 yards) - Steelers may simply think DWill is done.
    While Bell served his suspension, DWill lead the league in rushing. He did get hurt later in the season, but what we're discussing is a playoff run with a fresh DWill. I don't see how Ridley outscored DWill for THIS move. That is what I would like more info on. He would still be a much better choice than Ridley by the info we have.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I think the Steelers moved on from D.Will after the AFCC game. He didn't play that well and they were playing from behind so they abandoned the running game. Who knows???

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    While Bell served his suspension, DWill lead the league in rushing. He did get hurt later in the season, but what we're discussing is a playoff run with a fresh DWill. I don't see how Ridley outscored DWill for THIS move. That is what I would like more info on. He would still be a much better choice than Ridley by the info we have.
    Supposedly D-will wants more money than the vet minimum. And with him being injury prone, perhaps we didn't think he was worth the money he wanted.

Salary cap for this year might also be an issue, I'm not sure where we're at though, perhaps someone else would be better able to explain it (I never really got that into cap space since i hate numbers)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Money IS the great equalizer. But, do we really want to get cheap here?

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

How much can he really be asking for three games, five if things go well?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Ryan Mathews, Tim Hightower, or D will would be my picks over Ridley. Seriously the 7 teams he’s been on all erroneously let him go. If bell gets hurt I say keep nix in to block and throw 66 times a game again.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Ryan Mathews, Tim Hightower, or D will would be my picks over Ridley. Seriously the 7 teams he’s been on all erroneously let him go. If bell gets hurt I say keep nix in to block and throw 66 times a game again.
    If Bell gets hurt this team is most likely done unless Ben turns into the modern version of Dan Fouts. Bell is the reason why we are a better offense then most teams! It sucks that Pitt never has a good back up plan for Bell! Still not a fan of the Conner pick and seem like the hometown sympathy pick! Bell will be the reason why we will beat the Pats!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    If Bell gets hurt this team is most likely done unless Ben turns into the modern version of Dan Fouts. Bell is the reason why we are a better offense then most teams! It sucks that Pitt never has a good back up plan for Bell! Still not a fan of the Conner pick and seem like the hometown sympathy pick! Bell will be the reason why we will beat the Pats!
    I'll take it one step further. Without a full effort by our entire cast, we won't win a game in this playoff. Conner is unavailable so he isn't going to be a factor. This offense still goes through Bell. In order for Ben to have success in the pass game THIS week, Bell will need to play strong. Our offense has the ability to dictate the flow of any game. But we need everyone on the same page.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I would say that it would be wise to let this guy and Frenchy soak up about 70-80% of the snaps in the next two weeks if the games are not super-close. Give Bell just enough to keep him sharp, but not beat up. Then when we move on to the real games, neither of those clowns should be anywhere near the field.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    Mathews has had a series of significant injuries, including a serious neck injury/surgery and hasn't been seen on an NFL football field in over a year. When he last was, he wasn't any good. I mean pretty bad with ball security issues.

Hightower had an average of under 2 yards per carry this preseason. So there's that.

I think DWill's lack of success in the AFCCG has soured everyone on him. Plus he is 34.

While I am not really excited about the Ridley signing, the other options are just as underwhelming. Does anyone know when playoff rosters are final? Is there still time to cycle other guys through for a look?

re: the playoff rosters, I think you can add people from week to week just like in the regular season. IIRC we picked up Ben Tate after the Week 17 game and started him a few days later.

I also remember years ago, the 49ers brought back an aging Charles Haley just for the playoffs on a series of one-game contracts. Don't know if that exact same move is legal now, but I think it is still basically that you can sign any free agent you want, whenever you want. It kind of has to be that way given the number of serious injuries that happen at random.
    See you Space Cowboy ...