Thread: Focus on the Positives - They are Overwhelming

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Focus on the Positives - They are Overwhelming

This board is such a downer sometimes! The two most complete teams in the NFL just played the best game of the 2017 season. Sure the game was marred by troubling officiating and a bit of vapor lock on the part of Steelers in the last 30 seconds. But, damn that was a great game. Plus, look at what else is going great for this team:

1. Leveon Bell is the most dominant offensive weapon in the game. No AB? No problem, just feed LBell.
    2. Juju is already a "clutch" guy. I usually hate that term, but some dudes just have "it". Anyone doubt that Juju has it?
    3. Martavis Bryant is back. I've been wrong about 310 times with this dude, but I'm going to let it ride again - behold Martavis Bryant destroyer of defenses has returned.
    4. Jesse James, useful offensive weapon? What the hell has gotten into him the last few weeks? I mean he still struggles to block air, but if he keeps the chains moving like this, I don't care who he doesn't block.
    5. There was an Eli Rogers sighting! And it was for a TD! I mean if he starts hanging on to balls and getting on the same page with Ben -- just another weapon in an already loaded offense.
    6. AB is back for the playoffs. Say that about 15 times. Because that is the best news that came out of this game. That leg looked broken and you all thought that when he had to be helped off the field.
    7. Artie Burns, physical player? He came up and stuck (well for him at least) guys in the run game at least twice. He clearly relishes the chance to go one on one right at the LOS with receivers. The past 3 PI penalties on him are not always called. If he can start getting some INTs, maybe everyone will stop complaining about how he should have been some other CB.
    8. There was a Bud Dupree sighting. His performance against the Pats was what most were hoping he could provide. Maybe this sparks a run like he had to close out 2016?
    9. Cam Sutton is legit and clearly is already NFL capable. What is that 3 or 4 games into his NFL career he singled up almost all night. This cat can ball.
    10. Cam Heyward. I mean clearly he is the best 3-4 end the Steelers have ever had not named Aaron Smith. Leadership, playmaking - he may be a robot from the future. Anyone see him talking to Tomlin the whole walk off the field at the half?
    11. I can't believe I got through 10 before this one -- Ben R. He's escaping from guys again. He is making plays down the field, over the middle, and short. What more could anyone want?
    12. Gilbert and Haden come back.

I'm sure there are more and there can be just as long a list of negatives. There are also a good # of "If's and "buts" with this team.

Ask yourself this - what team in the league do you think the Steelers don't have at least a puncher's chance with?

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Re: Focus on the Positives - They are Overwhelming

I don't like their uniforms ....

[just kidding]

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Too soon...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    This board is such a downer sometimes! The two most complete teams in the NFL just played the best game of the 2017 season. Sure the game was marred by troubling officiating and a bit of vapor lock on the part of Steelers in the last 30 seconds. But, damn that was a great game. Plus, look at what else is going great for this team:

1. Leveon Bell is the most dominant offensive weapon in the game. No AB? No problem, just feed LBell.
    2. Juju is already a "clutch" guy. I usually hate that term, but some dudes just have "it". Anyone doubt that Juju has it?
    3. Martavis Bryant is back. I've been wrong about 310 times with this dude, but I'm going to let it ride again - behold Martavis Bryant destroyer of defenses has returned.
    4. Jesse James, useful offensive weapon? What the hell has gotten into him the last few weeks? I mean he still struggles to block air, but if he keeps the chains moving like this, I don't care who he doesn't block.
    5. There was an Eli Rogers sighting! And it was for a TD! I mean if he starts hanging on to balls and getting on the same page with Ben -- just another weapon in an already loaded offense.
    6. AB is back for the playoffs. Say that about 15 times. Because that is the best news that came out of this game. That leg looked broken and you all thought that when he had to be helped off the field.
    7. Artie Burns, physical player? He came up and stuck (well for him at least) guys in the run game at least twice. He clearly relishes the chance to go one on one right at the LOS with receivers. The past 3 PI penalties on him are not always called. If he can start getting some INTs, maybe everyone will stop complaining about how he should have been some other CB.
    8. There was a Bud Dupree sighting. His performance against the Pats was what most were hoping he could provide. Maybe this sparks a run like he had to close out 2016?
    9. Cam Sutton is legit and clearly is already NFL capable. What is that 3 or 4 games into his NFL career he singled up almost all night. This cat can ball.
    10. Cam Heyward. I mean clearly he is the best 3-4 end the Steelers have ever had not named Aaron Smith. Leadership, playmaking - he may be a robot from the future. Anyone see him talking to Tomlin the whole walk off the field at the half?
    11. I can't believe I got through 10 before this one -- Ben R. He's escaping from guys again. He is making plays down the field, over the middle, and short. What more could anyone want?

I'm sure there are more and there can be just as long a list of negatives. There are also a good # of "If's and "buts" with this team.

Ask yourself this - what team in the league do you think the Steelers don't have at least a puncher's chance with?

Nicely done Mojouw and I did see Heyward talking to Tomlin, wish I could have been there.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Nicely done Mojouw and I did see Heyward talking to Tomlin, wish I could have been there.
    I know. I bet it was intense whatever it was. Mike didn't look like he was getting too many words in.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Great list. #9 is making me happy. Sensablake can take a hike for all I care.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

This board is such a downer sometimes!
    It helps us all to come on here and vent to get it out of our systems so that we can focus on real life stuff!

Thanks for the positivity. I see lots of positives as well and even a couple advantages to losing Sunday.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Great post! Only one I'm not entirely on board with you is Martavis .And I'm not even sure that's on him. I mean he only had one catch in the second half, and then wasn't on the field for the penultimate red zone sequence after Ju Ju's catch. Are the coaches still not confident in him? Ben? What the hell is DHB , he of 1 catch coming into game, doing out
    there instead of Martavis? Just frustrating, particularly after he made that great red zone TD catch.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Ill add one.

Mike Hilton.

This whole board loves him, yet on a team with Big Ben, Antonio Brown, Leveon Bell, Ryan Shazier, Cameron Heyward, etc. no one is ever talking about this guy anymore.

Im sure there may have been some doubts about "how good is he REALLY" because he hardly ever gets targeted in the passing game and this is one of those games that tell you exactly why. That deflection to save a TD was just WOW. Anytime i see him try to play the ball im never worried because i know great things are gonna happen. We all know that Hilton's C/D gap has been impenetrable all season but its become even more apparent over the past month or so with how persistently opponents try to run to the other side. And the fact that hes a rookie (ok, a redshirt rookie but same deal), just 23 years old, im so excited about this whole secondary not just currently, but for the forseeable future.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

BostonBlackie

1. Leveon Bell is the most dominant offensive weapon in the game.
    Yes he is, after Robert Gronkowski.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

There are absolutely no positives in losing to the Patriots. Ever. I don't care if they didn't get blown out, the fact of the matter is that they found a way to lose and lost to them. Again. 11-2 in the Brady Era. I'll look for positives and moral victories when they actually beat them, unfortunately.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlackie View Post
    Yes he is, after Robert Gronkowski.
    Eh, if the refs actually called the offensive push off as pass interference, which is stated in the rule book....Gronkdoucheski is the most penalized offensive player in the NFL.

Never mind the fact that hitting a guy out of bounds, after the play was over, in the back of the head, when you weigh 70 lbs more than him is one of the biggest douchebag moves of all time.

I'd still take Bell.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Buffalo has beaten the Pats in NE 2 out of the last 3 games. Those were better Pats teams and worse Bills teams. Go Bills!! Bills are also playing for their playoff lives and have Taylor back.

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Buffalo has beaten the Pats in NE 2 out of the last 3 games. Those were better Pats teams and worse Bills teams. Go Bills!! Bills are also playing for their playoff lives and have Taylor back.
    One of the games featured an injured 3rd string QB for the Patriots.

One of the games featured an injured 3rd string QB for the Patriots.
    Brady could get hurt in the first series... Never know in this game of football. They're carting a different star or three off every week. No wishes of ill will.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Brady could get hurt in the first series... Never know in this game of football. They're carting a different star or three off every week. No wishes of ill will.
    Not Brady! Tom Brady I've heard. Kills NFL teams by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the Bills with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I know. I bet it was intense whatever it was. Mike didn't look like he was getting too many words in.
    I saw that!

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Not Brady! Tom Brady I've heard. Kills NFL teams by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the Bills with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.
    AB was one of the most indestructible guys playing. Other than the season Brady missed, he's been incredibly healthy. Gronk on the other hand...

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Great post! Only one I'm not entirely on board with you is Martavis .And I'm not even sure that's on him. I mean he only had one catch in the second half, and then wasn't on the field for the penultimate red zone sequence after Ju Ju's catch. Are the coaches still not confident in him? Ben? What the hell is DHB , he of 1 catch coming into game, doing out
    there instead of Martavis? Just frustrating, particularly after he made that great red zone TD catch.
    Great points. I really don't know what is going on with Martavis and if he is ever going to be what we all once hoped he could be. But the signs are promising - at least when I am in the right mood!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Great points. I really don't know what is going on with Martavis and if he is ever going to be what we all once hoped he could be. But the signs are promising - at least when I am in the right mood!
    Two of his catches were all World. Especially the one hander in the end zone with a defender hanger all over him.

BostonBlackie

So could this Patriots team, with Brady under center, lose to Buffalo in Foxborough? Absolutely. In fact they could lose to the Jets as unlikely as that seems. And I'm not just doing the on any given Sunday routine.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

So could this Patriots team, with Brady under center, lose to Buffalo in Foxborough? Absolutely. In fact they could lose to the Jets as unlikely as that seems. And I'm not just doing the on any given Sunday routine.
    Yep. I’ve been saying it all season (but, no one wants to hear me) that this Taperiots team
    is beatable.

This Taperiots team reminds me of the 1990 Giants, who barely eked out victories... but, still ended up 13-3. Then, the following season, the Giants were losing those same types of games... ending up 8-8, and missing the playoffs.

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Yep. I’ve been saying it all season (but, no one wants to hear me) that this Taperiots team
    is beatable.

This Taperiots team reminds me of the 1990 Giants, who barely eked out victories... but, still ended up 13-3. Then, the following season, the Giants were losing those same types of games... ending up 8-8, and missing the playoffs.
    If the Patriots pull it off this year Belichick, and staff, should get coaches of the century.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Good post. I will wait for the next few games to see if Bryant can stay consistent.

Will Haden be back?

The Steelers are capable of beating and/or crushing the best teams in the NFL. They are also capable of losing to the worst teams in the NFL.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    is beatable.

The Jets got a overturned TD back in week 6 against The Pats that was a worse call then ours. As for the Jets most thought they would be crap this year. Myself included but for not much talent that team has heart!
    Must be a pretty good coach too!