Thread: Tomlins Tuesday Presser

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Tomlins Tuesday Presser

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Re: Tomlins Tuesday Presser

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

The teams' mettle is officially put to the test.

They had a game against their nemesis won, and didn't get it, now they're playing a crappy team on the road.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Thanks for these Sue!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Thanks for these Sue!
    You're very welcome.

Took a sick day today so I thought I'd make up for no Quick Hits this week. I couldn't stomach it for more reasons than one.

Senior Member Array title="Steelermania is a jewel in the rough">

Damn incompetent refs. Explains a lot. If they tell you it might be down on the one, you have to have different plays called than you would if the ball is on the 10.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post
    Damn incompetent refs. Explains a lot. If they tell you it might be down on the one, you have to have different plays called than you would if the ball is on the 10.
    I don't blame the refs. They got it right. They were probably wondering what the heck was being reviewed as much as the coaches. Jim Nance figured it out after forever. As soon as Nance said it, I knew we were screwed.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I don't blame the refs. They got it right. They were probably wondering what the heck was being reviewed as much as the coaches. Jim Nance figured it out after forever. As soon as Nance said it, I knew we were screwed.
    Just curious: Going all the way back to the Tuck Rule game in 2002, can anyone ever remember even one occasion when one of these "Only in the NFL" crackhead replay decisions has gone AGAINST New England?
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steelermania View Post
    If the refs thought a possible call was down at the one they were as incapacitated as I was at that point without having been drinking steadily throughout the game

But it is not the SATs where you can only make one selection among multiple choices - you could plan for ball at the 1 or ball at the 10 and proceed accordingly

Ben - if it is at the one do you want to run LeVeon up the middle and then spike it or try one more play if he is stopped - or do we want to throw a fade to Martavis (oh wait - he is not going to be on the field since we are going with our money guy DHB)

Ben - if it is at the 10 do you want to call two plays and just spike it if we are in bounds after the first play is run?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    If the refs thought a possible call was down at the one they were as incapacitated as I was at that point without having been drinking steadily throughout the game

But it is not the SATs where you can only make one selection among multiple choices - you could plan for ball at the 1 or ball at the 10 and proceed accordingly

Ben - if it is at the one do you want to run LeVeon up the middle and then spike it or try one more play if he is stopped - or do we want to throw a fade to Martavis (oh wait - he is not going to be on the field since we are going with our money guy DHB)

Ben - if it is at the 10 do you want to call two plays and just spike it if we are in bounds after the first play is run?
    You're forgetting that if it's at the one there's a 10-second runoff. That eliminates a lot of options including running Bell up the middle unless it's all or nothing.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

You're forgetting that if it's at the one there's a 10-second runoff. That eliminates a lot of options including running Bell up the middle unless it's all or nothing.
    Agreed on the runoff to 18 seconds would be cutting it very close if it failed and the pass obviously would be the safer play - they presumably have practiced how much time they expect to have to do something after a failed run with no timeouts left

When Tomlin ran Bell for the winning TD 2 years ago in San Diego it was 5 seconds and clearly that was win or lose

Just saying regardless of however limited your options are under either scenario you can plan for both

But they apparently were not planning for the ref starting the game clock immediately if the ball was spotted at the one - the replay of the game has Ben jogging in from the sideline when the ref makes the replay call

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Pass to DHB is where then went stupid. You had two take your time end zone shots and then still a field goal try.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

All else aside, I really do not agree with that rule (the 10-second runoff). You should not be penalized because the officials decide to review a play after the fact.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Agreed on the runoff to 18 seconds would be cutting it very close if it failed and the pass obviously would be the safer play - they presumably have practiced how much time they expect to have to do something after a failed run with no timeouts left

When Tomlin ran Bell for the winning TD 2 years ago in San Diego it was 5 seconds and clearly that was win or lose

Just saying regardless of however limited your options are under either scenario you can plan for both

But they apparently were not planning for the ref starting the game clock immediately if the ball was spotted at the one - the replay of the game has Ben jogging in from the sideline when the ref makes the replay call
    That was a great walk-off ending in SD! Yes, NO EXCUSE for not having 2 plays called. That is on Tomlin. But I still believe this team beats NE the second time.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Pass to DHB is where then went stupid. You had two take your time end zone shots and then still a field goal try.
    Ben's explanation was understandable. He thought he would either get out of bounds or score.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Yes Thank you for posting these Sue. As much as I hate that we lost I do like to read through these.
    Last edited by Butch; 12-19-2017 at 07:11 PM. Reason: cat walked across keyboard so had to clean it up

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

After reading this, I’d be willing to bet the officials were reviewing whether James was down at the one or scored a TD and after they looked at it a few times realized that it might be incomplete. I don’t think there was ever an intention to review that play as an incompletion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Man if there are football Gods then the Bills will beat the Pats this weekend putting us into the #1 spot where we belong and dropping them to #3 where they belong.

I HATE THE PATRIOTS.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    After reading this, I’d be willing to bet the officials were reviewing whether James was down at the one or scored a TD and after they looked at it a few times realized that it might be incomplete. I don’t think there was ever an intention to review that play as an incompletion.
    But no one had touched him so that doesn't make sense. I think they review all scoring plays and when they did they came up with the stupid ball moved rule. But for the millionth time, when James looked over at the sidelines and CONSCIOUSLY stuck the ball over the goal line it was a football move. Add to the fact that you could not clearly see if his hand was under the ball or not the ruling on the field of a TD should have been upheld.

They were reviewing the play because they review every touchdown in order to see if they can ruin some kid's day.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It says in a couple tweets that they thought he was down at the one yard line.

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

McDonald ready for this game, and ready to miss week 17 due to injury. He'll be available for the divisional playoff game, where he'll miss the AFCCG with an injury

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    It says in a couple tweets that they thought he was down at the one yard line.
    I think that's what the ref on the field told Tomlin, but the f'n morons in NY made the call.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    McDonald ready for this game, and ready to miss week 17 due to injury. He'll be available for the divisional playoff game, where he'll miss the AFCCG with an injury
    It does suck. Because had that been him and not James he would have caught it and not fallen over.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    I think that's what the ref on the field told Tomlin, but the f'n morons in NY made the call.

- - - Updated - - -

It does suck. Because had that been him and not James he would have caught it and not fallen over.
    Mickey D's would have caught it and then put on IR.

- - - Updated - - -

I’m not convinced they were looking to review the actual catch when they were reviewing that. I think the intention was to see if he was down at the one.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Man if there are football Gods then the Bills will beat the Pats this weekend putting us into the #1 spot where we belong and dropping them to #3 where they belong.

I HATE THE PATRIOTS.

- - - Updated - - -

But no one had touched him so that doesn't make sense. I think they review all scoring plays and when they did they came up with the stupid ball moved rule. But for the millionth time, when James looked over at the sidelines and CONSCIOUSLY stuck the ball over the goal line it was a football move. Add to the fact that you could not clearly see if his hand was under the ball or not the ruling on the field of a TD should have been upheld.

Are you hoping for "Football Justice"?

I'm with you!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

You have to have a short memory here. The end of that game sucks and will leave a nasty taste for a long time. We beat those cheats, we did. We know it and they know it. They do not want to see us again, and our guys are praying we get a rematch. But for now, have to focus on the Texans and going 1-0 THIS week.