Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the funeral talk?

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Why the funeral talk?

Hello Guys!

I know; we lost once again to the very hated New England Patriots. I also know the sudden frustration of the overturned TD. It was gut wrenching. I believe that it should be a catch, but according to league rules it wasn't. I understand the importance of the game being that home field advantage was on the line, but I was somewhat disappointed with the outrage of our fans on twitter claiming we were robbed. If this were a clear call that shown no doubt I would understand, but this was a call that could have gone either way.

I'm just grateful this wasn't a call made in the playoffs or the Superbowl. Complaining about this just makes us look like sour little babies. I'm not saying it's all of us, but it's quite a few. There are also a good number of our fans that feel that we have no chance now of winning in New England if need be.

Yes: We could have had more aggressive playcalling in the drive while up 24-19. However, if we had and Ben threw a pick, would there be many claiming that Haley should have used Bell to keep Brady off the field? Probably so. Yes: Davis should have picked off that pass. However, it's pretty difficult picking off a deflected pass as the ball changes direction quickly.

Yes: it was tough to watch Davis cover Gronk, but I really couldn't get down on him because it's very tough to do. Should they have double covered him? Possibly, but with who? Also, is there any doubt that Brady would have found the open man if they did? I don't doubt it. Mitchell already bit on the playaction to Cooks. He's truly been lacking as the last line of defense if he's giving safety help to the corners while Gronk is being doubled.

Yes: the last play was atrocious. Not sure who's fault it was whether it be Ben, the coaches or both but it's over now. I'm just hopeful that they learn from it. I know that most of the media pundits believe that we can't win in New England because of this game and many of our fans have followed suit. The truth is; we just lost to New England by 3 points in a game we had in the bag without AB and Haden.

The way New England celebrated as if they won the Superbowl shows that they know what type of team we have. It shows that they feel that they need the home field to have a shot at beating us. This was a big game but not a playoff game. The Steelers are in the playoffs.There is no need in watching if we don't think we can win it. With AB out of the game, Bell still did what he wanted and JuJu and Bryant stepped up. AB being out until the playoffs gives the other guys an opportunity to be fine tuned for the playoffs. We also will be stronger with Gilbert back.

The defense held up well with the exception of defending Gronk. Tomlin has time to figure out what he can do to defend him. Possibly using a mixture of Brian Allen and Watt. Also Haden not playing this game is an advantage for the Steelers if we meet them again. Belichick won't have the advantage of seeing how Haden was used against them being that he wasn't in the lineup.

Honestly; here are my main concerns:
    1) Getting and staying healthy to have what I feel is a legitimate shot to win the Superbowl.
    2) Beating Houston
    3) Beating Cleveland
    4) Secure bye week by winning last 2 games
    5) Winning vs Div. round opponent
    6) Winning AFCCG vs opponent (Possibly NE)
    Its remarkable that we have not played them at full strength for 3 years straight now!
    7) Win the Superbowl

Those are my 7 for #7!
    We'll see! I can only hope for the best. I'm not going to throw in the towel though because we lost a regular season game to New England. As long as we're alive and still functioning in the playoffs, I'll continue to hope.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

Re: Why the funeral talk?

Good read. After watching game, as a fan I'm not afraid of them, but at same time I'm worried. We are going on the road and we all know what that means when you play Cheats at their house. There will be some funny stuff going on, we can all count on that. So I'm pissed that one play can change the outcome of all season. And that play was overturned by refs on the rule that is by all accounts stupid, when there was no concrete evidence to overturn it. So I'm pissed, worried and at a same time optimistic.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Part of the letdown is that the team itself made having the #1 seed their top priority in the offseason and all year long. There was a big deflation when that was lost. Hopefully it puts a chip on their shoulder and they finish 5-0.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Part of the letdown is that the team itself made having the #1 seed their top priority in the offseason and all year long. There was a big deflation when that was lost. Hopefully it puts a chip on their shoulder and they finish 5-0.
    Agreed - home field in the playoffs is so important, particularly with the splits on Ben’s performance at Heinz as opposed to on the road

Pats are much less effective as a road playoff team, as is true for other great teams (70s Steelers 8-1 at home/2-3 on the road in playoffs)

Tomlin needs to get the team past the inevitable letdown - this loss was bad but screwing up in Houston and losing the bye would be even worse

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Agreed - home field in the playoffs is so important, particularly with the splits on Ben’s performance at Heinz as opposed to on the road

Pats are much less effective as a road playoff team, as is true for other great teams (70s Steelers 8-1 at home/2-3 on the road in playoffs)

Tomlin needs to get the team past the inevitable letdown - this loss was bad but screwing up in Houston and losing the bye would be even worse
    I think the Pats playoff record at home vs road is a bit misleading. It's not really apples/apples. If you're playing on the road in the playoffs you obviously don't have as good of a team or you would be at home. So the record is going to be worse because the team is not as good.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

I think the Pats playoff record at home vs road is a bit misleading. It's not really apples/apples. If you're playing on the road in the playoffs you obviously don't have as good of a team or you would be at home. So the record is going to be worse because the team is not as good.
    True - but if two teams theoretically are equal when you factor in the traditional 3 points Vegas adds for home field advantage it is a 6 point swing. An ESPN article earlier this year calculated a 3 point home field advantage for the Steelers and, surprisingly, only a 1.9 point advantage for the Pats - a 5 point swing still is not insignificant.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...play-road-more

And for whatever reason home field advantage increases in the playoffs

A Home Playoff Game Is A Big Advantage — Unless You Play Hockey

The NBA and NFL have the biggest regular-season home advantages, improving a team’s chance of winning by 10 and 7 percentage points, respectively. And those benefits grow even larger in the playoffs, ballooning to as high as 14 percentage points for NBA teams. NFL home teams gain almost 5 extra points of win probability in the playoffs — again, after controlling for the fact that better teams tend to get more postseason home games.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...u-play-hockey/

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

We didn't lose to the Patriots.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="StillCurtains is a name known to all">

Noone expected AB to be knocked out of the game either. That's a huge adjustment for the Steelers to have to make. Also here is a nugget: If the Steelers are healthy and are the better team, then they should win no matter where they play. It's obviously tougher on the road and you may possibly have to overcome bad calls, but if your better you can make plays to overcome it.

The overcame Troy's interception reverse call vs the Colts in the 2005 Season playoffs. That teams mindset was: We're better than them, stick together, overcome it.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

I stayed off of forums and social media after the game but most was saying what I felt. Been to a football site where fans are neutral and various fans of all teams the other night. 90% was mad how we got screwed and arguing the same things about not enough evidence to overturn the rolling on the field. How Jesse made a football move and was a TD. So if the average NFL fan didn't think it was cool, is it hard to imagine Steeler fans are a little more upset ?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Point being NFL fans in general are getting sick of these subjective calls and refs overtaking games. So as Steelers fans I think we should be allowed sometime to vent and no funeral here.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Again, I have been a fan for close to 40 years and it never amazes me more when fans on MB's like this treat the#2 seed in the AFC like its the death penalty.

Try being a fan with Cliff Stoudt, Kent Graham or David Woodley as your QB, or Troy Edwards as one of your best WR's.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Again, I have been a fan for close to 40 years and it never amazes me more when fans on MB's like this treat the#2 seed in the AFC like its the death penalty.

Try being a fan with Cliff Stoudt, Kent Graham or David Woodley as your QB, or Troy Edwards as one of your best WR's.
    Maybe we are scared to play them at home and the refs mostly. Of course refs are for the Pats no matter who has the home field.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Maybe we are scared to play them at home and the refs mostly. Of course refs are for the Pats no matter who has the home field.
    Good theory. Keep searching, the truth is out there.

Good theory. Keep searching, the truth is out there.
    Haha Cancer Man and the truth is out there and NFL favors The Pats for years now and not just against us.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Maybe for once, Steelers fans would like home field advantage for once and all the advantages there of........oh...nevermind.........

Been there through all too. Actually meant Kent Graham so I'm even more special.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

It was a golden opportunity to slay the hated dragon. We had them, and they escaped.

I think it isn't matter of how hard it was, its the fact of now having to deal with the talk of how great and awesome the Patriots are, and how the Steelers aren't in their class, because of a sequence of events that completely decided the game.

Tom Brady was about to get out-Bradyed by Ben, The "Cheerleader" Mike Tomlin was about to outcoach Bill Belichick, and the officials just weren't going to have that. Take that TD off the board, a turnover a play later, and all is right in the narrative of the football world. Bill Belichick is a genius, Tom Brady is the GOAT, and Mike Tomlin is just an incompetent cheerleader, and Ben sucks. That's why people are so sickened by this loss, or at least that is why. This isn't a case of a boneheaded playcall at the goal line like Super Bowl 49, or a comeback from 28-3 down in Super Bowl 51, a GAME-WINNING TOUCHDOWN was taken off the board so the Patriots have a second chance, and they won. This bullshit is why people utterly despise New England. Patriots fans are so desperate to convince themselves they won due to their "superior talent" and "coaching" and "DA GOAT", and "SQUEELERS LOST LOL" but this should shock no one.

Of course, none of this would've happened in the first place if the Steelers just took care of business earlier in the 4th, and didn't let the officials get ahold of the game in the first place.
    Last edited by Edman; 12-19-2017 at 05:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Maybe for once, Steelers fans would like home field advantage for once and all the advantages there of........oh...nevermind.........
    Yep we are sick of The Pats getting the easy ride from their division year after year and the 1 seed. Easy ride to the Super Bowl each year when you add in the refs help.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    It was a golden opportunity to slay the hated dragon. We had them, and they escaped.

I think it isn't matter of how hard it was, its the fact of now having to deal with the talk of how great and awesome the Patriots are, and how the Steelers aren't in their class, because of a sequence of events that completely decided the game.

Tom Brady was about to get out-Bradyed by Ben, The "Cheerleader" Mike Tomlin was about to outcoach Bill Belichick, and the officials just weren't going to have that. Take that TD off the board, a turnover a play later, and all is right in the narrative of the football world. Bill Belichick is a genius, Tom Brady is the GOAT, and Mike Tomlin is just an incompetent cheerleader, and Ben sucks. That's why people are so sickened by this loss, or at least that is why.

Of course, none of this would've happened in the first place if the Steelers just took care of business earlier in the 4th, and didn't let the officials get ahold of the game in the first place.
    Great Post!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

This team really has not looked like a Super Bowl team for almost the entire year. This is a team that has done the following:
    They beat what may end up being the worst team in NFL history by 3 points in week 1, and actually caused people to think the Browns may make some noise this year
    They looked like crap against a mediocre Lions team and only won because the Lions are known chokers and couldn't figure out how to navigate the redzone
    They barely beat a dreadful Colts team that looks like it will win 3 or 4 games, winning by only 3 points
    They lucked out in playing the Packers at home without Clay Matthews and Aaron Rodgers, and STILL won by only 3 points
    They somehow allowed a 14 point lead at home to a Ravens team struggling to make the playoffs in a weak AFC to turn into an 11 point deficit, and needed a crazy comeback to squeak out a 1 point win
    Oh and they lost to a team starting Mike Glennon at QB

Agreed that those of us who have been Steelers fans for some time have certainly seen worse and that, as you posted yesterday, this is supposed to be an entertaining diversion rather than a source of stress that is not going to (or at least hopefully will not) be a life changing event for anyone posting here regardless of whether the Steelers lose in the first round of the playoffs or win Lombardi #7

But seasons get graded on a curve - expectations for the 2017 Steelers are a bit different than the late 90s Cowher teams or the post-Bradshaw Noll teams

By way of example, Steelers fans were thrilled when the Steelers first made the playoffs in 1972 and by the mid-70s many fans regarded any season not ending with another Lombardi as a failure

Most of us know how not having a franchise QB impacted the Steelers between Bradshaw and Ben while also knowing when Ben leaves, which could be at the end of this season, the championship window presumably will be closing for a while

So while a #2 seed obviously is better than a lower seed or missing the playoffs I think it is understandable that after a game the Steelers should have but were not expected to win there is disappointment with the prospect of probably having to go to Foxboro if there is a rematch

FWIW all fan bases can find a dark cloud somewhere - Pats fan Bill Simmons is mourning that this is probably the last best shot for the Brady Pats and that Belichick screwed up by trading Garoppolo for a second round pick
    Last edited by AtlantaDan; 12-19-2017 at 11:49 AM.

True - but if two teams theoretically are equal when you factor in the traditional 3 points Vegas adds for home field advantage it is a 6 point swing.
    If they're even otherwise, how does 3 points become 6? They aren't taking away 3 from the underdog and also giving 3 to the favorite.

At any rate, I think having AB the whole game is a greater factor than what stadium they play in.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    How'd home field help us with the refs on Sunday night?

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

- - - Updated - - -

How'd home field help us with the refs on Sunday night?
    Apparently, you missed the point....................that WAS my point. If we don't have the advantage in our our stadium then Foxboro is a deathtrap.

If they're even otherwise, how does 3 points become 6? They aren't taking away 3 from the underdog and also giving 3 to the favorite.
    If it is a pick 'em game on a neutral field Steelers theoretically win by 3 at Heinz (say 30-27) and Pats win by 3 at Gillette (say 30-27 again) - that is a 6 point swing - pick up 3 points as the home team and lose three points as the road team

FWIW all fan bases can find a dark cloud somewhere -
    This is the part that's baffling. This fan base goes looking for dark clouds.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Or skies that fall...

(Not a cue to bring out the cat pic!)

Sky is not falling and we just need time to get over the screw job from Sunday. Again neutral NFL fans said we got screwed and they are tired of the refs and the subjectivity on calls and what teams they choose to call them on.

If it is a pick 'em game on a neutral field Steelers theoretically win by 3 at Heinz (say 30-27) and Pats win by 3 at Gillette (say 30-27 again) - that is a 6 point swing - pick up 3 points as the home team and lose three points as the road team
    But you said that the teams were theoretically even. So why would the Steelers win by 3 on a neutral? What am I missing?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Interesting read for anyone who's superstitious. The #1 seed hasn't been good to us historically, but the #2 seed...

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...yoffs-patriots

Cliff notes: As the #1 seed we haven't won a sb since 1978, and are 1-4 since then for sb wins. As the #2 seed, since 1979, we've made the sb 4 out of 5 times

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    Interesting read for anyone who's superstitious. The #1 seed hasn't been good to us historically, but the #2 seed...

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...yoffs-patriots

Cliff notes: As the #1 seed we haven't won a sb since 1978, and are 1-4 since then for sb wins. As the #2 seed, since 1979, we've made the sb 4 out of 5 times
    Exactly! I started a thread on it called Seeding.

My point with the reference to Simmons is that even fans of teams that have been to 6 straight AFC championship games and have won 5 Lombardis in 16 seasons somehow find dark clouds

I do not see it as being more pronounced with Steelers fans but concede I do not visit other teams message boards and mostly know other teams fans through the constant bitching in Atlanta (where the NFL team does not even draw the passion of UGA football)

As far as Steelers fans being depressed about their team continually finding new ways to lose to the Pats I get that is more than creating a dark cloud out of blue skies. It must have been like that for Oilers fans dealing with the 70s Steelers (their beef with a call being a TD catch that was ruled incomplete in an AFC championship game) - at least the Raiders won a Lombardi going through the Steelers and beat the Steelers twice in the playoffs during that era