Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Roethlisberger Says Decision Not To Spike Came From Sideline

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Roethlisberger Says Decision Not To Spike Came From Sideline

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    You really can't see through Ben?

To start with there's no coach who will clock it in that scenario. There was five seconds left after the interception. But the real point is that Ben shouldn't be shifting the blame. Be a man and say I screwed up. Just say it without all the other bullcrap to deflect blame. It was a horrible decision to throw that ball and the decision not to clock it had nothing to do with it.
    Ben is generally the first one to point the finger at himself for a loss, from what I've seen, even when it's one of his teammates who fucked up.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I slept on this.

I awoke, saw the last two plays again... and, I’m even more pissed.

First of all, they had a good three minutes to think of a good play. Maybe they did, and maybe the Taperiots defender disrupted the play, but dumping it off in bounds CAUSED the next pay to be rushed.

Secondly, BB loves to spike the ball. Ever seen him spike the ball instead of using a time out? Me, too. I know that the Steelers didn’t have a time out left, but that does not change the fact that BB wanted to spike the ball. In hindsight, maybe letting him spike it and going to OT was the right call. I know that there was PLENTY of time to attempt an end-zone/game-winning pass. But...

...that pass was AWFUL. What was BB thinking on that last play!?! He HAS to know the game situation. An incomplete pass is not a bad thing; whereas, forcing a ball into quadruple coverage is. I know that Rogers ran the wrong route, which caused BB to hesitate. But, instead of forcing the ball, BB should have thrown it away.

SUMMATION:
    I truly think that the James TD reversal shocked them so badly, that they basically wasted the next two plays. So, again, maybe BB was correct to simply spike it (because, deep down, he knew that he was too rattled to make an accurate decision).
    Max Kellerman this morning convinced me that the James play was a TD. His knee down and pulling the ball in constituted possession. The ensuing stretch was a football play and it crossed the plane.

As for Ben... isn't a throw away the equivalent of a spike in that situation?? Ben has zero excuse for that ridiculous pass. Ben and Davis are the goats of this game.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

As for Ben... isn't a throw away the equivalent of a spike in that situation?? Ben has zero excuse for that ridiculous pass. .
    I completely agree, but I am sure Ben will have a good comment about it on his weekly show.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Maybe...but the decision to throw into triple coverage was made by Ben. Bad decision, should have thrown out of bounds, Boz kicks us into OT. Oh well...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    I completely agree, but I am sure Ben will have a good comment about it on his weekly show.
    That transcript will be a doozy! I'm not sure that he even understands the terrible flaws of his own communication style.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Ben is generally the first one to point the finger at himself for a loss, from what I've seen, even when it's one of his teammates who fucked up.
    The call did come from the sideline... and Ben did take the blame for the bad throw in the after game interview from the locker room.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    The call did come from the sideline... and Ben did take the blame for the bad throw in the after game interview from the locker room.
    If you heard the interview, the emphasis was clearly on his disagreement with the coaches decision to throw. That decision was the correct one. Five seconds were left after the ridiculous throw and interception. There was no fault in the call not to spike it. I can't even imagine the outrage if they'd spiked/kicked and then lost in OT. Now, if he wants to say the coaches drew up that play, then I can find plenty of fault with that. But I haven't heard where the fake spike/ one option play came from. That leads me to believe that Ben had a lot to do with that. Just speculation on my part. I'd like to know for sure if anyone has heard.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post

Can't pin this all on Ben, he sure as hell didn't have much help form his coaches. You have Haley and Tomlin on the sideline, one saying spike, the other saying go for it with seconds on the clock. They need to get their shit together.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

I can't wait for the day that Ben retires so that Steeler Nation can find someone else to constantly complain about.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I can't wait for the day that Ben retires so that Steeler Nation can find someone else to constantly complain about.
    Right. You can never criticize a play or a bad game because that makes you a hater and unappreciative of one's career? Lol.

Ben never seems to have any problem throwing a teammate or coach under the bus.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Right. You can never criticize a play or a bad game because that makes you a hater and unappreciative of one's career? Lol.

Ben never seems to have any problem throwing a teammate or coach under the bus.
    It's not a criticism of one play or one game. It's the constant whining about everything that Ben says or does.

Ben didn't "throw a teammate or coach under the bus". He was asked a question and answered it honestly. Apparently people don't like honesty.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

It's not a criticism of one play or one game. It's the constant whining about everything that Ben says or does.

Ben didn't "throw a teammate or coach under the bus". He was asked a question and answered it honestly. Apparently people don't like honesty.
    Listen I've been a Steelers fan since before they won their first Super Bowl. I know what it's like to have bad quarterbacks. Ben is top 5 in the league. I don't constantly whine about Ben. And Ben does throw people under the bus. Everyone sees it but the homers. Just because you get asked a question doesn't mean you have to answer it in an inflammatory way.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Listen I've been a Steelers fan since before they won their first Super Bowl. I know what it's like to have bad quarterbacks. Ben is top 5 in the league. I don't constantly whine about Ben. And Ben does throw people under the bus. Everyone sees it but the homers. Just because you get asked a question doesn't mean you have to answer it in an inflammatory way.
    Exactly, I bet there were a few guys over the years that didn't answer questions about Ben with such freedom and transparency. I bet a few of them held back to protect their teammate, rather than answer in an inflammatory way that would make judgement much easier.

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Let's just hope Ben thinks about this in the Playoffs. I'd much rather lose this game because of that bad decision than one in the Playoffs. I think we have a chance when we play the Cheats again, even at Foxboro. But it will be close and if anyone messes up, we're done. But now everyone has a chance to redeem themselves.

And the coaches can think of something to slow Gronk down. I mean, you probably can't stop him altogether, but not leaving him wide open doesn't seem like a bad idea.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I know it’s frustrating but look at some of those catches. They were incredible. That’s what man coverage is. Double teams are zones in the NFL. This is what everyone wanted. Now we’ve seen it. Now the chess match begins again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Why the fake spike? Why not send Bell out, have BB survey his options, and if no one is open, BB throws it away?

Because, the fake spike requires a quick/hurried throw... which doesn’t really allow BB the opportunity to think about throwing it away.

With Bell, you don’t need a trick play. Just line up and rely on your talent.

First of all, my post wasn't directed at you but for some reason you felt the need to get defensive about it. I've also been a Steelers fan for over 40 years so I'm anything but a homer. Answers and statements can be interpreted in different ways. I take them for what they are and don't look for controversy or drama.

There's going to be a rough patch for this team when Ben retires so I try to appreciate what we've had since Ben came into the league.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Too much arguing over a game manager.

Let's focus on beating the Fake Oilers and Macho Man Tom Savage.

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by j-d-s View Post
    Let's just hope Ben thinks about this in the Playoffs. I'd much rather lose this game because of that bad decision than one in the Playoffs. I think we have a chance when we play the Cheats again, even at Foxboro. But it will be close and if anyone messes up, we're done. But now everyone has a chance to redeem themselves.

And the coaches can think of something to slow Gronk down. I mean, you probably can't stop him altogether, but not leaving him wide open doesn't seem like a bad idea.
    I think with Haden back in the mix for the next possible meeting against the cheats the Steelers will have more options for Gronk...at least I hope.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

First of all, my post wasn't directed at you but for some reason you felt the need to get defensive about it. I've also been a Steelers fan for over 40 years so I'm anything but a homer. Answers and statements can be interpreted in different ways. I take them for what they are and don't look for controversy or drama.

There's going to be a rough patch for this team when Ben retires so I try to appreciate what we've had since Ben came into the league.
    Well you quoted me and seemed to be directing your comment to me. I appreciate Ben too. But there are times I haven’t supported his off field conduct. And you don’t have to look hard to find drama when Ben talks to the media. His reputation as a drama queen is his own doing. I can separate that from his on field play though. The throw was a bad decision. Period. It gets belabored because people on here try to defend it. Time to move on.

Well you quoted me and seemed to be directing your comment to me. I appreciate Ben too. But there are times I haven’t supported his off field conduct. And you don’t have to look hard to find drama when Ben talks to the media. His reputation as a drama queen is his own doing. I can separate that from his on field play though. The throw was a bad decision. Period. It gets belabored because people on here try to defend it. Time to move on.
    Do you see the irony here? Some want to ignore all of Ben's off field issues, drama, etc and back him up because he is "their QB" and they have his back. While at times Ben's comments calling out guys in the media, despite his ability to do it face to face in the locker room, are not deemed as "having the back" of his teammates.

So its OK for "their QB" to not have his teammates back, but its mandatory that teammates and fans "have Bens back."

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Do you see the irony here? Some want to ignore all of Ben's off field issues, drama, etc and back him up because he is "their QB" and they have his back. While at times Ben's comments calling out guys in the media, despite his ability to do it face to face in the locker room, are not deemed as "having the back" of his teammates.

So its OK for "their QB" to not have his teammates back, but its mandatory that teammates and fans "have Bens back."
    There is tons of irony in it all. Like I said somewhere else, I really don't think Ben recognizes the terrible flaws of his own communication style. He stirs the pot and then acts incredulous that the media runs with it. I think he's genuinely a solid guy who's matured from where he was in his mid-20's. But at this point, it's just who he is. I'm sure glad that he's our QB and I hope he remains for another 3-4 years.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No, my first post didn't quote you. It didn't quote anyone. You replied to it. We weren't even talking about the throw here. Even Ben said that it was a bad throw and he took the blame for it. Yes, time to move on.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Do these dudes just sit at home and be like:

"Now everyone on the internet will agree with me! Finally, I am vindicated! To the message boards to share my tired lame arguments for the 10,000th time! BUT this time it will be different and the others anguish over their beloved Steelers loss will burn away their homerism and reveal the truth --my truth!! Everyone will agree with me! I will be crowned king of the internet and go down as a truth telling hero!"

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by leehop71 View Post
    His 2 rings were from a great defense and not having to play the Pats in the playoffs those 2 years! His size also is of great benefit to him!

Oh look......another single issue poster with an agenda.......

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Oh look......another single issue poster with an agenda.......
    They are probably fans of teams that there season has already ended like Cinci and the Browns. They need something to do.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

There is tons of irony in it all. Like I said somewhere else, I really don't think Ben recognizes the terrible flaws of his own communication style. He stirs the pot and then acts incredulous that the media runs with it. I think he's genuinely a solid guy who's matured from where he was in his mid-20's. But at this point, it's just who he is. I'm sure glad that he's our QB and I hope he remains for another 3-4 years.
    Agreed

But this was a classic Ben way to resolve the discussion regarding communications after the James catch then not a catch through the game ending INT

Asked about late-game planning, Roethlisberger said the Steelers have a "great communication environment" between himself and the head coach, coordinator, assistants and offensive line.

Asked why that communication seemed to have issues in the final seconds, Roethlisberger said, "I don't really remember, to tell you the truth. Because it's so long ago now."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...plan-breakdown

Yep - three days ago - who can honestly recall what might have been said