Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Get over it

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Re: Get over it

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    My guess is they ruled him a ball carrier after taking two steps and also palming the football. There was also no clear evidence in him losing possession of the ball. It moved a little, but it didn't spin and his hand stayed under the ball from what I could see. It just goes to show how hard a ref's job really is. Definitely a catch 22 in those situations, because one fan base is going to hate you.

Senior Member Array title="pepsyman1 has much to be proud of"> pepsyman1's Avatar

Based on what they said with James "drop" and the fact that the receiver rolled over with his hand on the SIDE of the ball, it moved and he squashed it to the ground with his body to regain control, that shouldn't have been a completion.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Here's an idea, how about not letting the ball move! AS a player, you have to know the lofty standards of what is and isn't a catch nowadays. As a player, you also have to know that the refs will find any reason to rule in favor of the Patriots so knowing that going to the ground you have to make sure the ball isn't moving (which shouldn't be too much to ask for anyway).

Of course what would help is if the Steelers had a TE worth something that isn't injured all the time

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

you are talking about the Seth Roberts bobbling catch and I completely agree.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    The rules also includes ball contact with the ground. So, knee contact would be irrelevant in this scenario because James was receiving a pass. However, if James were a ball carrier it would have been a TD. The difference that many are not seeing is James was a receiver, and not a ball carrier in that moment.
    What you leave out is that he consciously reached out the ball to break the plane which IS a football move. Once he did that and broke the plane ... touchdown.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    What you leave out is that he consciously reached out the ball to break the plane which IS a football move. Once he did that and broke the plane ... touchdown.
    Exactly. And as someone else pointed out, how, exactly, do you reach the ball out to begin with if you don't already have control of it?

I'm not getting over it. Bullshit call.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by RunNGun View Post
    My guess is they ruled him a ball carrier after taking two steps and also palming the football. There was also no clear evidence in him losing possession of the ball. It moved a little, but it didn't spin and his hand stayed under the ball from what I could see. It just goes to show how hard a ref's job really is. Definitely a catch 22 in those situations, because one fan base is going to hate you.
    He was bobbling the ball the whole time and then used the ground to control it. No catch.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Just one question - if that were Gronk, think it still gets overturned? I know I have my doubts...

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    Add the Jets game where the TD was taken away by the refs and you've got 8-6.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    He was bobbling the ball the whole time and then used the ground to control it. No catch.
    Nope. Watch from :52 to :57. That's control. Touchdown.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

And BTW, No Quick Hits thread today.

1. I have a massive head/chest cold and feel like crap.

2. I'm not over it. When they take 6 minutes to find some obscure rule they can twist to hand the Pats* the game the we clearly had won, I'm really, really not over it.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

I was obviously talking about the Seth Roberts "catch".

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I was obviously talking about the Seth Roberts "catch".
    Ah, see that now. Still waking up. My bad.

Ah, see that now. Still waking up. My bad.
    Get some coffee!

Always, always involves the Pats* . It seems they create silly rules to pull put when it's convenient to hand NE a win. I know....conspiracy and all that. The fact is, the NFL brings it on themselves.

Just one question - if that were Gronk, think it still gets overturned? I know I have my doubts...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Yes, you are 100% correct. Had James taken even 1 step toward the goal line and lunged in, TD. BUT, and this is the important part, the fact that he immediately went to his knee without taking a step, and fell across the goal line, makes it a continuation of the catch. That is why it was ruled incomplete.

The eyes tell you it IS a catch and that is the frustrating part. It was caught, then carried over the goal line, should be a TD, by eye test. By rule the ball came out during the catch process. SUCKS, but what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Yes, you are 100% correct. Had James taken even 1 step toward the goal line and lunged in, TD. BUT, and this is the important part, the fact that he immediately went to his knee without taking a step, and fell across the goal line, makes it a continuation of the catch. That is why it was ruled incomplete.

The eyes tell you it IS a catch and that is the frustrating part. It was caught, then carried over the goal line, should be a TD, by eye test. By rule the ball came out during the catch process. SUCKS, but what it is.
    Maybe they should have measured whether he broke the plane with an index card...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Maybe they should have measured whether he broke the plane with an index card...
    Again, you're correct in everything you're saying. James did not COMPLETE the catch all the way to the ground, 'BY RULE'. That is the ONLY reason it was ruled incomplete. We all saw James make the catch and put the ball across the line. How he did that is why it matters that the ball moved when he hit the ground. There was a Bell play a few seasons ago where Bell's helmet was knocked off as he crossed the line. He continued to fall forward into the endzone. By rule, the play is over at the spot the helmet came off. It did not matter that his semi-conscious form naturally fell beyond the line, he was down by rule at the 1inch line. Some rules just don't work all the time, but they work most times. Last night and the Bell call are 2 examples of where they do not work.

Again, you're correct in everything you're saying. James did not COMPLETE the catch all the way to the ground, 'BY RULE'. That is the ONLY reason it was ruled incomplete. We all saw James make the catch and put the ball across the line. How he did that is why it matters that the ball moved when he hit the ground. There was a Bell play a few seasons ago where Bell's helmet was knocked off as he crossed the line. He continued to fall forward into the endzone. By rule, the play is over at the spot the helmet came off. It did not matter that his semi-conscious form naturally fell beyond the line, he was down by rule at the 1inch line. Some rules just don't work all the time, but they work most times. Last night and the Bell call are 2 examples of where they do not work.
    Still don't accept that it wasn't a TD...

Winner winner chicken dinner

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    I said that in the GDT. Should have been a 15 yard penalty on the kickoff. But that was a moot point because of Juju's catch and run.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

You are right. The rule is the rule. It sucks but it is.

Thing is, they better have irrefutable evidence to overturn. That has always been the case. In this case, it wasn't there.

If it was that cut and dry, it wouldn't have taken 10 minutes for the review.

Senior Member Array title="Drazo85 has a reputation beyond repute"> Drazo85's Avatar
    Tetris Champion! Jungle Fruit Champion!

It was a TD. Rule or no rule. He went down on his knee, stretched, while stretching his elbow went down and broke the plane. After that he bobled it without clear evidence that the ball hit ground. TD! Plain and simple.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    Damn totally missed that one

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Tony Dungy said it best. In every other level of football, flag football, youth football, highschool football, college football....that is a catch, but the NFL created the rule based on Calvin Johnson's catch several years ago and while its a terrible rule, its the rule.

Honestly, when the Steelers punted the ball away with over 2 minutes left, I knew the drive by Brady was coming, but the Steelers had chances to make plays, like Davis INT, Davis deny the 2 point convert and the secondary not giving up 3 successive passes to Gronkdudeski for 60 yards combined.

I've been a fan for over 35 years and love the Steelers, but my life didn't noticeably change when they won Super Bowls, nor did it change when they lost in '95 or 2011. Its football folks, enjoy it for what it is and move on to the upcoming week.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Get over it

Last night I thought the rule was stupid. After watching this video today, the rule is still stupid, but that was as close to a catch as you could get. He caught the ball had clear control of it, pulled it in and then extended it across the goal line. That shouldn’t have been over turned.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler