Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Goats.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Re: Goats.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlackie View Post
    And I'm only responding to yours.

"But, lets not go overboard and make it like they did some amazing stuff at the end of the game there."

No one said they did anything amazing. They just played situational, sound, end of game football. The Steelers are a better team in terms of talent. I picked them to win. But, the Patriots won, and there's a reason why they won. Gronk, and better end of the game play.
    They didn't win because of better play at the end of the game, they won because stupid decisions made by stupid people bailed out their substandard end-of-the-game play that in any non-Bizarro universe would have ended in a well-deserved loss.

Unless you have something to add along the lines of, "I am mortally ashamed to be publicly supporting such an unlikeable team, where the face of the franchise has done as much or more to ruin the game of football than any other player or coach in recent memory - and to walk away with such an undeserved win in addition to all those facts is so embarrassing that that I just want to slink away and crawl into a garbage can," then I don't really think you have much of a point to make.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I gotta disagree with that. Gronk was his usual unstoppable force of nature self. That is not debatable. I'm not sure that because the Pats managed to get a forearm in front of one poorly thrown ball that I really want to wax poetic about how their situational football won the game.

I notice that you don't address the poor tackling and bad angles on the Smith-Schuster catch and run. Nor the sloppy coverage that allowed 2 Steelers players to run open at the goal-line on what shouldhave been the game deciding play.

If that call goes the other way (it didn't and I get that) would you be praising the situational play of the Patriots late in the game?

Both teams played really well. Both teams made some mistakes. Both teams made some amazing plays. Not sure I would really laud either team for winning or blast either team for losing this one. One of the best games of the season. Close contest that could've gone either way.
    Obviously Smith-Schuster got away from the Patriots. Yet, yet, they still won. As for "shouldhave been the game deciding play"? The Steeler player did not make the play. How is not making the play become should have been the game deciding play? Making the play is securing the ball, and giving your team another shot. Making the play is BB throwing the ball away, and not throwing an interception. Those were the differences, plus Gronk.

However, yes, good game. Good plays by good players on both sides. And if we're lucky we'll get a repeat in January.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

I got no goats. The Steelers played hard with what they had and just came up a little short due to a couple plays. And I know no one wants to use injuries as an excuse, but damn how can you not wonder how that last 4 minutes goes if AB is in there? For example people are complaining about how conservative the Steelers were on that second to last drive. Well the fact is they were relative to how they've played that situation out over the past couple seasons. To me the reason was obvious. Without AB your comfort level is stronger with 26 than your receiver core. I think they play that series with a different level of aggression with AB. And then on that last possession aint no way that last pass is going to Rogers there. And also you don't see DHB on the field for that series either.

Anyway all in all I'm happy with the game bet disappointed in the result.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    They didn't win because of better play at the end of the game, they won because stupid decisions made by stupid people bailed out their substandard end-of-the-game play that in any non-Bizarro universe would have ended in a well-deserved loss.

Unless you have something to add along the lines of, "I am mortally ashamed to be publicly supporting such an unlikeable team, where the face of the franchise has done as much or more to ruin the game of football than any other player or coach in recent memory - and to walk away with such an undeserved win in addition to all those facts is so embarrassing that that I just want to slink away and crawl into a garbage can," then I don't really think you have much of a point to make.
    Give us all a break from that kind of rhetoric. It's just a game. Nobody needs to crawl into a garbage can.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Obviously Smith-Schuster got away from the Patriots. Yet, yet, they still won. As for "shouldhave been the game deciding play"? The Steeler player did not make the play. How is not making the play become should have been the game deciding play? Making the play is securing the ball, and giving your team another shot. Making the play is BB throwing the ball away, and not throwing an interception. Those were the differences, plus Gronk.

However, yes, good game. Good plays by good players on both sides.
    That's kinda my point. Those are mistakes by one team and the other is not really an active participant in them. The Pats didn't really do anything. The Steelers failed to do things.

Not an attempt to take anything away from the Pats, but I don't think anyone should be in a real hurry to talk extensively about their situational savy-ness or their gritty late game play-making.

The Patriots got the W. Great job by them to put themselves into position for that to happen. But the Steelers lost that game more than the Pats won it. I know that statement doesn't really make as much sense as I would like, but I know you can see the point. I suspect at this point you are just happy your team won and trolling a bit. But if you honestly believe the Pats were a markedly better team play for play last night -- well we didn't watch the same game.

BostonBlackie

I suspect at this point you are just happy your team won and trolling a bit. But if you honestly believe the Pats were a markedly better team play for play last night -- well we didn't watch the same game.

You're not paying attention. Not only don't I think the Patriots were markedly better last night, I think the Steelers are clearly the better team period. As for trolling, I'm too old for that, and take my time concerning football too seriously to troll. If it looks like I'm trolling that's because I'm not eloquent enough to make my point.

This is my point. The Steelers are a better team. Last night they out played the Patriots for the bulk of the game. But the Patriots are a better coached, better situational, end of game, team, and that was on display last night whether you want to admit it or not. IMO

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Give us all a break from that kind of rhetoric. It's just a game. Nobody needs to crawl into a garbage can.
    I mean, I originally figured the guy must be a troll, then i guess some people warmed up to him, but mostly he sounds like a troll here, so yeah. Garbage can it is.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

You're not paying attention. Not only don't I think the Patriots were markedly better last night, I think the Steelers are clearly the better team period. As for trolling, I'm too old for that, and take my time concerning football too seriously to troll. If it looks like I'm trolling that's because I'm not eloquent enough to make my point.

This is my point. The Steelers are a better team. Last night they out played the Patriots for the bulk of the game. But the Patriots are a better coached, better situational, end of game, team, and that was on display last night whether you want to admit it or not. IMO
    I mean, I guess for one play they were. Most of their defense recognized the fake spike. So there is that.

But overall the Pats were pretty bad on situation football yesterday. 33% conversion in their own 3rd downs and allowed 62% conversion by the Steelers.

The difference in the game was Gronk and a bad throw by Ben R. Playoff rematch is going to be too close to call.

BostonBlackie

I mean, I guess for one play they were. Most of their defense recognized the fake spike. So there is that.

But overall the Pats were pretty bad on situation football yesterday. 33% conversion in their own 3rd downs and allowed 62% conversion by the Steelers.

The difference in the game was Gronk and a bad throw by Ben R. Playoff rematch is going to be too close to call.
    Point taken. They aren't good enough this year, personnel, to convert at the same rate they have in the past.