Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: THE NFL IS FIXED.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: THE NFL IS FIXED.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah, it is pretty far-fetched that the league is "fixed." The more people it takes to be involved in a conspiracy, the higher the probability of it unraveling. Anything beyond, like, a small handful of people means the probability of it being exposed is roughly 100%.

On the other hand, is it possible to have one guy who doesn't know what a touchdown is? Or one guy who doesn't know what a touchdown is and also has a hard-on for the Patriots, so he's made the same call more than once in recent weeks? Or maybe for a fair cross-section of officials to subconsciously favor a team because they are impressed with them?

Those all seem more within the realm of possibility. "LeBron gets the calls" is not just something they made up. Hell, there was a study done once that showed a huge difference between the number of fouls/penalties called on teams wearing light uniforms and dark uniforms (teams wearing red and black got significantly more penalties, if I remember right).

At any rate, fixed ... idiotic ... same difference, I care about results. And the result was that they fucked up. And another result is that EVERY time I have to watch the Patriots, there is at least one game-altering play that either has to do with the officiating or with unbelievable luck (which also often involves something like the play being allowed to continue well after it would normally be over, or a huge break for the other team being called off because the whistle blew, or some such horsecrap).

So, fixed? No. Biased? I'd say so.
    I'll buy some of that. I think it is ludicrous that a $13 billion industry does not employ a cohort of full time refs. Refs should be far younger, rigorously tested, and in a year round program. This vestigial set-up from the early days of the league where refs are also respected businessmen who call games also needs to end.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

NFL has been fix for decades because of Vegas and the point spreads. In the last 20 years I truly believe it is fixed by it's own doing trying to get Peyton and Brady in the big game each year for ratings. Or the feel good story like the Saints after Hurricane Katrina .

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Ugh....it's not fixed

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vasteeler View Post
    Ugh....it's not fixed
    No not all, not that there is anything wrong with it.

Senior Member Array title="plenewken will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by Bluecoat96 View Post
    Sadly, I don't agree. He didn't complete the process of the catch. It is what it is. I feel like Ben tried to get too cute.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    "By rule, when a receiver with possession of the ball is in the act of going to the ground and performs a second act by reaching out to break the plane, that completes the process of the catch and the ball is dead when it breaks the plane." Mike Pereira VP of officiating.

Quote Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
    "By rule, when a receiver with possession of the ball is in the act of going to the ground and performs a second act by reaching out to break the plane, that completes the process of the catch and the ball is dead when it breaks the plane." Mike Pereira VP of officiating.
    Mike Pereira is a ahole and attention whore making the big bucks now kissing ass.

BostonBlackie

Quote Originally Posted by plenewken View Post
    Mike PereiraVerified account @MikePereira Dec 17
    Look, here is the rule. If you’re going to the ground you have to hold onto the ball when the ball hits the ground…Going to the ground trumps lunging/reaching to try and get extra yards or score a TD. You do that at your own risk. It’s incomplete...

https://twitter.com/mikepereira?lang=en

This had zero to do with the refs, or the Patriots, or the Steelers. The refs made the right call according to the rule. If you want to get mad at someone,
    get made at the rules committee that drew the rule up.

Quote Originally Posted by BostonBlackie View Post
    Mike PereiraVerified account @MikePereira Dec 17
    Look, here is the rule. If you’re going to the ground you have to hold onto the ball when the ball hits the ground…Going to the ground trumps lunging/reaching to try and get extra yards or score a TD. You do that at your own risk. It’s incomplete...

https://twitter.com/mikepereira?lang=en

This had zero to do with the refs, or the Patriots, or the Steelers. The refs made the right call according to the rule. If you want to get mad at someone,
    get made at the rules committee that drew the rule up.
    Mike is the leagues puppet and could careless what he says. He is their yes man and would never go against the league ruling. Since he has been around the last couple years shows these calls are getting out of hand. The league need a mouthpiece to try to defend these call and Mike was there choice.