Thread: 2018 draft; QBs

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

2018 draft; QBs

• Austin Allen Arkansas
      QB 6-1 215 SEC

• Kevin Anderson Fordham
      QB 6-2 215 FCS

• J.T. Barrett Ohio State
      QB 6-2 220 Big Ten

• Kurt Benkert Virginia
      QB 6-4 215 ACC

• Kyle Bolin Rutgers
      QB 6-2 212 Big Ten

• Jeremiah Briscoe Sam Houston State
      QB 6-3 225 FCS

• Max Browne Pittsburgh
      QB 6-5 230 ACC

• Luke Falk Washington State
      QB 6-4 223 Pac-12

• Riley Ferguson Memphis
      QB 6-4 210 AAC

• Quinton Flowers South Florida
      QB 6-0 210 AAC

• Brandon Harris North Carolina
      QB 6-3 220 ACC

• Richard Lagow Indiana
      QB 6-6 240 Big Ten

• Taylor Lamb Appalachian State
      QB 6-2 200 Sun Belt

• Kyle Lauletta Richmond
      Q B6-3 215 FCS

• Matt Linehan Idaho
      QB 6-3 239 Sun Belt

• Baker Mayfield Oklahoma
      QB 6-1 220 Big 12

• John O'Korn Michigan
      QB 6-4 215 Big Ten

• Peter Pujals Holy Cross
      QB 6-2 213 FCS

• Brogan Roback Eastern Michigan
      QB 6-3 218 MAC

• Tyler Rogers New Mexico State
      QB 6-3 218 IND

• Mason Rudolph Oklahoma State
      QB 6-5 230 Big 12

• Brandon Silvers Troy
      QB 6-3 219 Sun Belt

• Nick Stevens Colorado State
      QB 6-3 215 MW

• Hunter Wells Youngstown State
      QB 6-5 215 FCS

• Mike White Western Kentucky
      QB 6-4 225 C-USA

• Logan Woodside Toledo
      QB 6-2 210 MAC

- - - Updated - - -

The above list is from the 2018 Senior Bowl watchlist. All of these QBs will be available in the upcoming draft. I will add underclassmen as they declare.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: 2018 draft; QBs

The Steelers scouts were in attendance at Marshall’s bowl game, watching Chase Litton (QB) go through his warmups.

(They were the only team whose scouts were watching the warmups, but other scouts may have been in attendance.)

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Steelers scouts were in attendance at Marshall’s bowl game, watching Chase Litton (QB) go through his warmups.

(They were the only team whose scouts were watching the warmups, but other scouts may have been in attendance.)
    Chase Litton is a junior. He may declare for the draft but I'm thinking he stays. With another season at Marshall he will rank with Leftwich and Pennington in nearly every school passer category. Coming out now, he may not get selected until the 4th or later. Just my thinking...he would greatly benefit from another year at Marshall and adding more impressive stats. If he does declare now, he will be an interesting prospect. 6'-5"/6", depending on who is listing him. More mobile than his frame suggests. Strong arm to make most throws. 60+% completion rate. 20+ TDs per season. He checks a lot of boxes. His height and length could drop him though.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Litton is an interesting prospect. He's definitely going back to school. As a Marshall fan and Huntington native, I've watched him play. He can be maddening with some of his mistakes but he checks the boxes in all the measurables. Unless he has a breakout senior season I'd put him as a 6th-7th round pick at best. Likely an UFA.

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Litton is an interesting prospect. He's definitely going back to school. As a Marshall fan and Huntington native, I've watched him play. He can be maddening with some of his mistakes but he checks the boxes in all the measurables. Unless he has a breakout senior season I'd put him as a 6th-7th round pick at best. Likely an UFA.
    This is an awesome post. As a fan, you have watched Marshall and are able to give better analysis on players entering the draft, than just stats alone. What I call witness reliability.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    This is an awesome post. As a fan, you have watched Marshall and are able to give better analysis on players entering the draft, than just stats alone. What I call witness reliability.
    Most of the fan base don't like him. They've been spoiled with quarterbacks. You can't teach 6'6" 230 though.

Most of the fan base don't like him. They've been spoiled with quarterbacks. You can't teach 6'6" 230 though.
    I understand you have to judge individually also, but I have heard analysts talk about being too tall as a QB. The natural long frame that comes with being 6'-6" makes for a long throwing motion, thus a slower release. This was talked about with Osweiler, Mallett, Foles, Shaub, and Flacco being the examples.

I understand you have to judge individually also, but I have heard analysts talk about being too tall as a QB. The natural long frame that comes with being 6'-6" makes for a long throwing motion, thus a slower release. This was talked about with Osweiler, Mallett, Foles, Shaub, and Flacco being the examples.
    I'd be interested in a real scout's write up on him.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

As a Marshall fan and Huntington native
    Small world.

My uncle went to Marshall and attends every home game. I attended the championship game in 1996 with him (where Randy Moss was unstoppable). My uncle is sort of the black sheep of the family, because the rest of them attended/root for WVU.

Ranking the top 10 college QBs by 2017 season

1. Lamar Jackson, Louisville

2. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

3. Josh Rosen, UCLA

4. Sam Darnold, USC

5. Josh Allen, Wyoming

6. Mason Rudolph, Oklahoma State

7. Riley Ferguson, Memphis

8. Luke Falk, Washington State

9. Ryan Finley, NC State

10. Clayton Thorson, Northwestern

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...len/906640001/

For me, Rosen is the only grand slam. The dude reeks of winning.

Right up until he gets drafted by the Cleveland Browns!

I think Rosen is the most pro ready. Skills-wise I see him as 'Matt Ryan'. I just didn't see enough UCLA football to understand the hype completely. He's not a scrambler, and his comp% is only 60.8. STATS ARE NOT THE MAIN THING. Just want to make clear I understand that. From what I have seen of this year's QBs, I would put Rosen 3rd on my top QB list. A lot of the QBs expected to come out this draft are the same guy in a physical sense. All are around 6'4", solid pocket passers, with solid numbers and stats. Just do side by side comps on the top 10 list I posted above. I have Baker Mayfield above the others right now. And in my research, it's not even close. For me the top 5 looks like this:
    1. Baker Mayfield

2. Ryan Finley

3. Josh Rosen

4. Luke Falk

5. Sam Darnold
    5a. Riley Ferguson should Darnold stay at USC

And understand, all of this is still fluid and subject to change. The comparisons of these guys to current and past QBs doesn't sway me at all, just trying to see them play the game their way, and how I THINK, it will translate to the Steelers. My belief is just because a player fails or succeeds at one team does not mean he will fail or succeed everywhere. System means a lot. My entire 'ranking system' is based on the Steelers only.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 12-22-2017 at 01:45 PM.

I do have a question about all the hype surrounding jr QB Josh Allen. He has very good size at 6'5" and 235lbs. I have seen him compared to BB, and Jake Locker. A lot of the write-ups I have read say he has incredible arm strength, which is a big plus. But also that he has poor accuracy to go with that arm strength. Allen finished each of the last 2 seasons with a 56% completion rate. I'm assuming with his pro comparisons that he can move and scramble. I have to wonder if his accuracy issues are more when he's on the move, in the pocket, or both. Not really looking forward to his film. Just seems underwhelming and too much 'maybe' factor. I know that in his 10 starts this past season, he had 13TDs and 6INTs. That's a whole lot of film for just a few plays.

Just watched the Wyoming/Central Mich bowl game. That was one of the tougher games to watch than I have viewed in years. There was the blue field, the fact that both teams are banana yellow and rusty brown/maroon mix, and something like 8 TOs by CM. But it gave lots of opportunity to watch Josh Allen do his thing. And.....
    He really does remind me of BB in college. Most of his roll outs and scrambles are him just running for his life due to poor oline play. He made some really strong throws. Most of which were to wide open receivers. He's much better/stronger/more accurate rolling to the right. I have to admit I did like watching his style of play. I doubt he's the next Big Ben, he's not that accurate. He may be more like the next Tannehill.
    Last edited by Born2Steel; 12-22-2017 at 10:48 PM.

Now that Will Grier has been ruled out for the bowl game, what are the odds makers saying about him turning pro? He is one of the QBs that makes this such a strong class, IMO. If he and Darnold both decide to return for a senior year, this draft class drops significantly.

I think Rosen is the most pro ready. Skills-wise I see him as 'Matt Ryan'. I just didn't see enough UCLA football to understand the hype completely. He's not a scrambler, and his comp% is only 60.8. STATS ARE NOT THE MAIN THING. Just want to make clear I understand that. From what I have seen of this year's QBs, I would put Rosen 3rd on my top QB list. A lot of the QBs expected to come out this draft are the same guy in a physical sense. All are around 6'4", solid pocket passers, with solid numbers and stats. Just do side by side comps on the top 10 list I posted above. I have Baker Mayfield above the others right now. And in my research, it's not even close. For me the top 5 looks like this:
    1. Baker Mayfield

2. Ryan Finley

3. Josh Rosen

4. Luke Falk

5. Sam Darnold
    5a. Riley Ferguson should Darnold stay at USC

And understand, all of this is still fluid and subject to change. The comparisons of these guys to current and past QBs doesn't sway me at all, just trying to see them play the game their way, and how I THINK, it will translate to the Steelers. My belief is just because a player fails or succeeds at one team does not mean he will fail or succeed everywhere. System means a lot. My entire 'ranking system' is based on the Steelers only.
    For me, Rosen has the same moxie as Mayfield.. but, Rosen has the mechanics to go with it.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I would guess Mason Rudolph’s stock went up tonight. With so many teams slated to draft QB next year I wouldn’t be surprised if he goes in first, but don’t think he lasts til third.great size , strong arm and pretty mobile for 6’5”

- - - Updated - - -

Teegre what didn’t you like about him?

Still waiting on Rosen to make his decision to come back or enter the draft. He doesn't want to go to Cleveland, but would be interested in the Giants. Giants just hired a new GM, so that may be the move. Guess we'll have to wait a bit longer.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

cant wait for USC vs Ohio st tonight. Obviously want to see Darnold even though he won't be around when we pick at 32, but there are some good defensive players on both teams to watch.

Mike White, QB, Western KY Hilltoppers, 6'4" 225lbs, 65.7 comp%, 7.46 yards/attempt, 4177Yards, 26TDs, 8INTs, 6Rushing TDs, 44Sacks

Logan Woodside, QB, Toledo Rockets, 6'2" 210lbs, 64.2comp%, 9.45yards/attempt, 3882Yards, 22TDs, 8INTs, 1RushingTD, 22Sacks

Jeremiah Briscoe, QB, SamHouston, 6'3" 225lbs, 57.9comp%, 8.6yards/attempt, 5003yards, 45TDs, 16INTs, 3RushingTDs, 15Sacks

3QBs from "unknown", I highly recommend you guys take a closer look at. These guys are TD machines at their respective levels. Not so much future starter for the Steelers, but good QBs that will go to some team this draft late. Jones needs to be upgraded too.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    cant wait for USC vs Ohio st tonight. Obviously want to see Darnold even though he won't be around when we pick at 32, but there are some good defensive players on both teams to watch.
    What did you take away? I have it DVR'd. Still going over it for LB/DB play. Who did you like?

- - - Updated - - -

What did you take away? I have it DVR'd. Still going over it for LB/DB play. Who did you like?[/QUOTE]
    I took away that Darnold might be available at 32 pick after that game. Actually I think he should stay in school , way too many turnovers this year. Ohio St's defensive line dominated that game. Jalyn Holmes has Steelers written all over him, same size and type of player as Bud and we know how they like drafting OLB/DE who rush passer in first rounds. I was disappointed in the game at 24-0 lost interest since I hate OSU. Nwosu looked good, doesn't seem like a first round talent but could be a steal if if slides to day 2 in draft. I hate it when you get hyped for a game and is such a let down, my biggest take away was how Darnold struggled though. Browns will still take him at #1 though.