Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NFL Mock Draft: Steelers Select Tight End In Round One

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Re: NFL Mock Draft: Steelers Select Tight End In Round One

As for the TE mock, I just don't see it unless somebody blows up at the combine or workouts. this year TE crop doesn't look as deep as last year, with Howard, Njoku, Engram, etc. Looks like you can get a lot of the same type player in rounds 2-4 at the TE spot, IMO. Gisecki from Penn St or Fumigali from Wisconsin are just as good IMO.

Look for ILB, Safety and maybe QB as priorities in the draft, but I do agree that TE should be addressed in the first 3 rounds. Kind of like I thought they should have picked one in the 4th round last year.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    rounds 2

Fumigali from Wisconsin

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Steelers scouts were in attendance at Marshall’s bowl game, watching Chase Litton (QB) go through his warmups.

(They were the only team whose scouts were watching the warmups, but other scouts may have been in attendance.)

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    The Steelers scouts were in attendance at Marshall’s bowl game, watching Chase Litton (QB) go through his warmups.

(They were the only team whose scouts were watching the warmups, but other scouts may have been in attendance.)
    I know nothing about him, but listed at 6'6", read he has a strong arm.

Walterfootball has this to say.
    Projected Round (2018): 3-5.
    12/14/17: Litton has completed 61 percent of his passes this season for 2,853 yards with 23 touchdowns and 12 interceptions. In speaking with team evaluators, Litton is a love/hate prospect, depending on whom you ask.

7/17/17: Litton has played well over his first two seasons in college football. As a sophomore, he completed 62 percent of his pass for 2,612 yards with 24 touchdowns and nine interceptions. The freshman completed 60 percent of his passes for 2,605 yards with 23 touchdowns and eight interceptions the year before. Litton is a tall quarterback who could use more weight on his frame.
    If he enters the draft he could be a late round project. (I don't see them taking a QB high in the draft if Ben returns)

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I know nothing about him, but listed at 6'6", read he has a strong arm.

Walterfootball has this to say.

If he enters the draft he could be a late round project. (I don't see them taking a QB high in the draft if Ben returns)
    Similarly, they also looked at Kyle Lualetta (QB, Richmond).

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

As for the TE mock, I just don't see it unless somebody blows up at the combine or workouts. this year TE crop doesn't look as deep as last year, with Howard, Njoku, Engram, etc. Looks like you can get a lot of the same type player in rounds 2-4 at the TE spot, IMO. Gisecki from Penn St or Fumigali from Wisconsin are just as good IMO.

Look for ILB, Safety and maybe QB as priorities in the draft, but I do agree that TE should be addressed in the first 3 rounds. Kind of like I thought they should have picked one in the 4th round last year.

Fumagali is a terrific three down TE that can do it all. He has great hands, toughness, and a willingness to block and block well. He has good athleticism and is a very good prospect that should make a team happy for a long time. He's a great college player that is a very safe pick to be a very good NFL TE for a long time. He does have Steeler TE written all over him.

Gisecki is a phenomenal athlete with a ridiculous vertical jump and great hands that can be a big play TE in the NFL. He is everything you want from a production/potential standpoint, but he needs to develop as a blocker. He doesn't show the willingness to get physical at the point of attack. If he can improve his blocking, he's a homerun. I just have my doubts about him being an inline blocker. If someone can reach him and he learns to play nasty an embraces the physical aspects of the position, he will be an impact TE at the NFL level.

You just can't teach this kind of athleticism.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I'm with ya.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Fumagali is a terrific three down TE that can do it all. He has great hands, toughness, and a willingness to block and block well. He has good athleticism and is a very good prospect that should make a team happy for a long time. He's a great college player that is a very safe pick to be a very good NFL TE for a long time. He does have Steeler TE written all over him.

Gisecki is a phenomenal athlete with a ridiculous vertical jump and great hands that can be a big play TE in the NFL. He is everything you want from a production/potential standpoint, but he needs to develop as a blocker. He doesn't show the willingness to get physical at the point of attack. If he can improve his blocking, he's a homerun. I just have my doubts about him being an inline blocker. If someone can reach him and he learns to play nasty an embraces the physical aspects of the position, he will be an impact TE at the NFL level.

Yup, I know Gisecki needs blocking work, but so does Andrews and Gisecki is a freakish leaper with big catch radius. So we just named 3 guys that would be good TE prospects, but neither is a polished product, so why not wait until the 2nd round and any one of them would be there? Unless you fall in love with one and then I am good with trading up day 2 to get him if needed.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Are you a fan of Mayfield, of Oklahoma or have some tie??

I am just curious to know your point of view, as many had him preseason as a 4th-6th round prospect, yet you believe he will go in the top 25. Despite being a finalist for the Heisman in multiple seasons and all the stats that can be quoted....he just doesn't have the skillset as a starting NFL QB. Somebody will likely take him in the 2nd or even later in the 1st and he will be in the NFL for a long time, but as a #2 or #3 QB.
    I do not have any ties to Oklahoma. I'm not a member of the Baker Mayfield fan club. AND, I truly believe he will not be there when we make our 1st round draft pick. SO, this is really a moot discussion, and i said as much before. Please read my entire posts.

I gave my point of view on why I(that's me personally, not McShay or Kiper, or anyone else) would select Baker Mayfield if he were available when we make our 1st round selection. In fact, this is "quote" is from you "quoting" the very post in which I laid out my viewpoint. Please read that.

What this comes down to, and it's very much NOT an exact science, is YOU don't like Mayfield's "skillset". I do. I guess time will tell out in the end. No need to argue now, or throw out belittling remarks over opinion.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

I'd be fine with this!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Exactly. Russell Wilson is undersized but his footwork and movement has always been great. Mayfield looks like he just flings stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Mayfield has completed 71% of his passes for 2 consecutive seasons, and had 68% the season before that. His yards per attempt while at OK was close to 10.7 with his adjusted yards per attempt at 12, and over those 3 seasons, has a total of 20 INTs(That is total). Accuracy and arm strength are 2 of the 3 mechanics that cannot be taught. IF he has bad footwork(I don't think he does), that is the fixable mechanic. As for his head, there are articles to find and read that show a good person off the field as well. I have been following college QBs closely this season, watching games, film highlights, keeping up with stats, and reading the post game summaries. This kid impresses me. That's all I have about Baker Mayfield. All I ask is go look for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I do not have any ties to Oklahoma. I'm not a member of the Baker Mayfield fan club. AND, I truly believe he will not be there when we make our 1st round draft pick. SO, this is really a moot discussion, and i said as much before. Please read my entire posts.

I gave my point of view on why I(that's me personally, not McShay or Kiper, or anyone else) would select Baker Mayfield if he were available when we make our 1st round selection. In fact, this is "quote" is from you "quoting" the very post in which I laid out my viewpoint. Please read that.

What this comes down to, and it's very much NOT an exact science, is YOU don't like Mayfield's "skillset". I do. I guess time will tell out in the end. No need to argue now, or throw out belittling remarks over opinion.
    I didn't throw out any belitting remarks or argue, I honestly wanted to know if you had some reason as a fan to like Mayfield. That is why I was seeking clarification.

You are correct that its all opinion and I base my opinion upon my years as a fan and as a guy that has coached youth and highschool football. I have seen good QB coaches, coached with some, attended coaching clinics where some have presented and understand some of the traits required. I just see more of a Heisman let down at the next level like Manziel, Weurffel, White, etc with Mayfield and its based upon mechanics, decision making and attitude. Time will tell, but I hope he doesn't end up a Steeler.

Senior Member Array title="Buckinnuts is on a distinguished road"> Buckinnuts's Avatar

ilb , safety then mason rudolph then wideout

KNOCKIN ON 7'S DOOR!

At the risk of sounding like an Okie here, (I am definitely not an Okie) the only way I see the Steelers taking a TE in the 1st round is if Mark Andrews falls to our pick.

I'm seeing most of the early mocks have the Steelers taking the Bama safety. Not many TEs or ILBs grading out as 1st rounders at this time, I'm sure that will change in the coming months. This draft is starting to look strong at the Oline positions though.