Thread: Offensive Play Calling vs. Patriots

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Offensive Play Calling vs. Patriots

If you were calling the plays, what would you call for our first series and beyond?

Personally, I would like to see an up-tempo, pass-first, Ben-centered offense that puts the Patriots on their heels from the opening bell.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

raising him properly Array title="vasteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> vasteeler's Avatar

Re: Offensive Play Calling vs. Patriots

I'm cool with anything other than two runs up the middle for no gain an incomplete pass on 3rd and long

"Zeds dead baby, Zeds dead." - Butch

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

No huddle!!!

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The steelers just need to keep doing what they did in the last 4 games......

And also Haley needs to not do some dumb playcall.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Nothing cute.

AB, Bell, JuJu
    AB, Bell, Bryant/Rogers
    AB, Bell, JuJu
    AB, Bell, James

AB 33%
    Bell 33%
    JuJu 17%
    James 8 %
    Bryant 5%
    Rogers 4%

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Nothing cute.

AB, Bell, JuJu
    AB, Bell, Bryant/Rogers
    AB, Bell, JuJu
    AB, Bell, James

AB 33%
    Bell 33%
    JuJu 17%
    James 8 %
    Bryant 5%
    Rogers 4%
    Bryant is going on Instragram after that 5%

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

The weak point for the Pats is their LBs. Hunt and the Chiefs and Drake and the Dolphins exposed that. So maybe the Steelers should finally introduce the Pats to Le’Veon Bell. I mean if they struggle against the apprentices how will they fair against the master.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Lots of Bell, lots of AB, lots of JuJu, the Wizard of Boz.

If JuJu is able to go tomorrow it will be a difference maker.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Everyone is going to be keyed on AB, Bell, JuJu, Bryant. I'd go heavy on the first play & drive with James. He's been catch the ball well and is even starting to move better. Then mix the others in and get Conner in there also. His type of running compared to Bell will really throw a defense off. The Steelers have to be aggressive and keep the hammer down for 60 minutes. Having said that I still want a TE in the draft.
    Last edited by Shoes; 12-16-2017 at 07:57 PM.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Stay with what works. They cannot stop us. We will light them up this week.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    If you were calling the plays, what would you call for our first series and beyond?

Personally, I would like to see an up-tempo, pass-first, Ben-centered offense that puts the Patriots on their heels from the opening bell.
    Me too, but I don't see the Steelers using no-huddle at all.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

This thread is not in the correct timeline. 95% of the armchair Offensive Coordinators call great plays on the Monday after a Sunday game.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    This thread is not in the correct timeline. 95% of the armchair Offensive Coordinators call great plays on the Monday after a Sunday game.
    That’s when this thread will reach pages 2 through 14.

Senior Member Array title="steelcityboyz has a brilliant future"> steelcityboyz's Avatar

Play Tommy boys game.. Dink and dunk them to death.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Stay with what works. They cannot stop us. We will light them up this week.
    Only Haley can stop them. Really. SMH

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Only Haley can stop them. Really. SMH
    There it is. That is the attitude that I was waiting for, but really thought there would be at least 20 posts like this by now.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

My first play would be play action and hit James up middle for 15. I want to see run game successful in second half and watch Marcia pouting on sideline helpless. Don't be conservative at start of game and give their banged up D confidence

- - - Updated - - -

For me this game is like playing on house money. We won division and will get a bye with one more win. Not like loser goes home. If they get conservative and play same old D , I will be pissed.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by cubanstogie View Post
    My first play would be play action and hit James up middle for 15. I want to see run game successful in second half and watch Marcia pouting on sideline helpless. Don't be conservative at start of game and give their banged up D confidence
    Or a deep pass to Bryant....

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    There it is. That is the attitude that I was waiting for, but really thought there would be at least 20 posts like this by now.
    As I said above: nothing cute.

e.g. the first drive against the Taperiots during the season-opener in 2015.

As I said above: nothing cute.

e.g. the first drive against the Taperiots during the season-opener in 2015.
    Meh, the thing is that the detractors can always point to single plays like that....and its always easier to point at problems than look at solutions, so whoever the OC, DC, Special Teams coach is, its always easy and frequently don't to criticize.

Yes, Haley, Arians, Whiz, Mularkey, Ray Sherman, Chan Gailey, etc. can all be called out for plays here and there that didn't work, but unless people have held a playsheet in a game, there isn't the understanding to the flow of playcalling or the mental chess match that has to happen in 10 seconds or less after each play.

I think the gameplan will be a mix of controlled passing and 30 rushes in the game if the game unfolds that way, but if the Pats bracket AB, then still try to put more in the box to stop #26, then we will see the adjustment if Bryant or JuJu can be difference makers. You go into a game with an offensive gameplan, but if your team cant execute against the defense, you have to shift gears quick and change your approach. If you put in a gameplan and the team executes it, then you can stick with it to the end of the game, but you are still making quick decisions on down/distance and the feel for what the opposition will try to do. That is why I think the OC on the sidelines has a better feel for the game than from the booth.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Having a lead with 4 minutes left, I wouldn’t be calling draw plays...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Having a lead with 4 minutes left, I wouldn’t be calling draw plays...
    Especially on first-and-20...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Dudd Haley screwed up yet again. What a surprise