Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 15: Patriots

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Week 15: Patriots

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The more I think about, the more I’m not certain this game means as much to the team as it does to the fans.

If the Steelers are going to get to the SB, they are almost certainly going to play the Pats again.

Maybe not showing them anything new in this weeks game leaves the Steelers with better odds in a playoff rematch?

That being said getting the monkey off your back is pretty darn important too.

I gotta stop thinking about this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Most likely, yes, these two teams will meet again... and that second game would be more important.

Then again, let’s say that the Steelers win out... and so do the Jaguars. Suddenly, the Taperiots are a #3 seed, which means that they would have to play an extra game. Not only does that mean that the odds of the Taperiots being eliminated doubles (unlikely, but 2 chances is mathematically twice as likely as 1 chance)... it means no bye, no rest, and getting extra tired.

Sure, the Taperiots aren’t our rival. Sure, we haven’t beaten them since 2010. But, let’s not act like the Taperiots don’t care about this game. (This paragraph is not a reply to you, but in response to everyone who says that this game has little meaning to the Taperiots.)

Back to your point, I might start Sutton. If he fairs well, I’d rest Haden/save Haden for Round 2.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

It seems as though the idea of moving TJ to linebacker is gaining traction.

I am curious, knowing that the FO must be aware option, if anyone thinks they will do this, either Sunday or later on in the season?
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    It seems as though the idea of moving TJ to linebacker is gaining traction.

I am curious, knowing that the FO must be aware option, if anyone thinks they will do this, either Sunday or later on in the season?
    Well they have already done it a few times earlier in the year, so it's certainly possible. I don't think they would start the game that way, but I wouldn't be surprised if they had and extra green dot for VW so he could make some of the calls if Spence/Moats start getting exposed. I really don't think they would put TJ in a position where he would be making the calls back there but I could see a scenario where he fills VW's spot and VW would fill Shay's spot and use Spence/ Moats primarily on ST.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Slightly embarrassing...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Then again, let’s say that the Steelers win out... and so do the Jaguars. Suddenly, the Taperiots are a #3 seed, which means that they would have to play an extra game. Not only does that mean that the odds of the Taperiots being eliminated doubles (unlikely, but 2 chances is mathematically twice as likely as 1 chance)... it means no bye, no rest, and getting extra tired.
    I hadn't thought about that at all.......... So Jax had the tie breaker? I think that the Jags definitely win out based on their schedule. The Pats a 3 seed is definitely an advantage for the Steelers. But the Jags worry me too........

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I hadn't thought about that at all.......... So Jax had the tie breaker? I think that the Jags definitely win out based on their schedule. The Pats a 3 seed is definitely an advantage for the Steelers. But the Jags worry me too........
    Based on conference record

If the Patriots lose in Pittsburgh and the Jaguars win at home against the reeling Texans this coming weekend, they would both stand 10-4. The Jaguars would be 9-2 in AFC games, while the Patriots would be 7-3.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3289e82b67a3

Of course the 49ers game may not be the walkover road win for the Jags everyone has assumed it will be now that Garrapolo is the 49ers QB and Jags@Titans is no sure thing if Mariota is healthy

The AFC has been all about Patriots-Steelers all season but the Chargers and Jags are two teams that might make some noise in the playoffs. For that matter Steelers probably would want no part of a third matchup with the Ravens.

Link to PFF video on the matchup (need to put up with a 15 second commercial intro)

http://www.nbcsports.com/video/new-e...?ls=social-vid

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Link to PFF video on the matchup (need to put up with a 15 second commercial intro)

According to PFF LeVeon Bell is the 17th best RB this year.

Based on conference record

If the Patriots lose in Pittsburgh and the Jaguars win at home against the reeling Texans this coming weekend, they would both stand 10-4. The Jaguars would be 9-2 in AFC games, while the Patriots would be 7-3.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3289e82b67a3

Of course the 49ers game may not be the walkover road win for the Jags everyone has assumed it will be now that Garrapolo is the 49ers QB and Jags@Titans is no sure thing if Mariota is healthy

The AFC has been all about Patriots-Steelers all season but the Chargers and Jags are two teams that might make some noise in the playoffs. For that matter Steelers probably would want no part of a third matchup with the Ravens.
    To be honest, I'd like for them to extend a bye straight to the Super Bowl for the Steelers. It would be much better on my mental health.

According to PFF LeVeon Bell is the 17th best RB this year.
    Being 23rd in yards per rushing attempt apparently a factor

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/p...PerRushAttempt

For as many targets as he receives surprised Bell is behind Kamara and Gurley for receiving yards by RBs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/p...stat/receiving

To be honest, I'd like for them to extend a bye straight to the Super Bowl for the Steelers. It would be much better on my mental health.
    Agreed

Being 23rd in yards per rushing attempt apparently a factor

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/p...PerRushAttempt

For as many targets as he receives surprised Bell is behind Kamara and Gurley for receiving yards by RBs.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/statistics/p...stat/receiving
    Bell isn't the best IMO and he isn't worth $15M but there aren't 16 RBs better than him. That's laughable.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The more I think about, the more I’m not certain this game means as much to the team as it does to the fans.

If the Steelers are going to get to the SB, they are almost certainly going to play the Pats again.

Maybe not showing them anything new in this weeks game leaves the Steelers with better odds in a playoff rematch?

That being said getting the monkey off your back is pretty darn important too.

I gotta stop thinking about this!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I don’t think that’s necessarily true. If the Patriots lose here and the Jags win out, there’s a very good chance that the Patriots would have to return to Florida this season to play the Jags in Jacksonville. That’s not an easy task...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    There's a good chance they'd end up playing the Ravens in that case, and for some reason the Ravens seem to kick them right in the sack more often than not, even if they're not having a good year. I would love to see that sequence of events unfold.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Bell isn't the best IMO and he isn't worth $15M but there aren't 16 RBs better than him. That's laughable.
    I agree - but once you start tweaking any algorithm to make it pass the eye test then the model breaks down

Another example is Football Outsiders DVOA rankings - that site has good information but I am highly doubtful the 2 best teams in football are the Rams and Saints or that the Ravens are better than the Patriots

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvo...4-dvoa-ratings

So we are 1st in the league in pass protection...

and Patriots are 32nd in pass rush.

Hmmmm...what to do?

I agree - but once you start tweaking any algorithm to make it pass the eye test then the model breaks down

Another example is Football Outsiders DVOA rankings - that site has good information but I am highly doubtful the 2 best teams in football are the Rams and Saints or that the Ravens are better than the Patriots

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/dvo...4-dvoa-ratings
    That's why man will always be smarter than computers.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Well, it averages in the first four games when he sucked because of his holdout. That's like a third of the season. So statistically, he probably is a lot lower than how good he is right at this particular moment. Now we see how he shot himself in the foot by bitching instead of coming ready to play and putting up big numbers.

Hmmmm...what to do?
    Run up the middle. Like 20 times for no gain. Then pass 40 times in a row and wonder why they've caught on. It would work better if we had Willie Parker for this.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Hmmmm...what to do?
    They are 32nd in pass rush AND 30th in run defense. Yet have only lost 3 games this season. These numbers mean very little.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

The Jaguars defense is legit. Bortles is not.

If the Taperiots end up as the #3 seed, and we end up as the #1 seed... then in order to play us again, the Taperiots would have to beat the #6 Ravens AND beat the #2 Jaguars in Jacksonville. Both of which are tough games for them.

Steelers bye
    Jaguars bye

Taperiots vs. Ravens in wild card round.

If the Taperiots win, they would then have to play the Jaguars in the divisional round.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Bryant didn’t practice today as a coaches decision...anyone hear why?
    Martavis Bryant is back at practice.

He confirmed he's dealing w a family issue. When asked if that makes it difficult to get ready for the Patriots, he said "No, it just makes me pissed off even more."

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    They are 32nd in pass rush AND 30th in run defense. Yet have only lost 3 games this season. These numbers mean very little.
    Honestly their run defense is weak, and has been weak all season. The problem is their offense usually has them jumping out to early leads which forces their opponents to abandon the running game. I honestly think the key to beating them is to avoid falling into an early hole. Score first then ram it down their throats. That's pretty much how Miami and KC did it. Of course to stop their offense from scoring though, you have to get to Brady (goes without saying, he's really what makes the patriots the patriots)

If we win the coin toss, don't defer. Scoring first against these guys is critical imo. Actually the only times I ever remembered a Steeler win against Brady was when we did get an early lead.

Senior Member Array title="slippy will become famous soon enough"> slippy's Avatar

i think Ben's gonna need another 500 yard game.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Hmmmm...what to do?
    But look at their scoring defense. Thats all that matters
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    There's a good chance they'd end up playing the Ravens in that case, and for some reason the Ravens seem to kick them right in the sack more often than not, even if they're not having a good year. I would love to see that sequence of events unfold.
    In that scenario, the Ravens would most likely play Pittsburgh in the divisional round, and I do not want to play that team again

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    I think the schedule played to our favor in this one. The Patriots are coming off a road Monday night game and here we are playing consecutive home games. Also if Brady's achillies is nagging him that could play to our benefit.
    I agree it is usually hte other way around, where we are coming off a short week. Also, I think the Patriots were looking ahead to us knowing that we won Sunday night. Does the media every think that we might be in the Patriots head?

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    In that scenario, the Ravens would most likely play Pittsburgh in the divisional round, and I do not want to play that team again
    I would, if it meant that Patriots are sitting at the bathhouse instead of playing football. The less I am forced to see Brady whining and bitching his way up and down a football field, the better. I don't care about the Ravens; we beat them frequently and they are not exactly looking like a juggernaut this season.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

All 5 of the USA Today writers who make the weekly NFL picks are picking the Steelers over the Pats

https://usat.ly/2AmWh6z

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

I guess at this point, I want the Steelers to come out and play a good game. I want the offense to roll and make the plays they need to make, and the defense to not play zone and see if we can beat them. I hope we have a gameplan that allows us to beat them. I want Bryant to do something and Juju to make the big plays he has been making. Most of all I want to come away healthy and ready for the playoffs.