Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Sutton - First Impressions

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Cam Sutton - First Impressions

The past two games have given us several opportunities to evaluate Cam Sutton at the NFL level. It seemed he was rotating series with Sensabaugh last night? Here is what I think about Sutton so far:

1. Kid is fearless. Was lined up at the LOS across from WRs multiple times and he made it work.
    2. Really knows how to use the sideline as an extra defender. Pinned Maclin against it to help force the outside throw and the step-out late in the game.
    3. Needs to get better in run support.

All in all he looks like he can play and play well in the NFL. I think I see what the Steelers are envisioning. Sutton and Burns up at the line and zone-drops filling in around them while a 4 man rush gets to the passer. It could work...

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Re: Cam Sutton - First Impressions

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    The past two games have given us several opportunities to evaluate Cam Sutton at the NFL level. It seemed he was rotating series with Sensabaugh last night? Here is what I think about Sutton so far:

1. Kid is fearless. Was lined up at the LOS across from WRs multiple times and he made it work.
    2. Really knows how to use the sideline as an extra defender. Pinned Maclin against it to help force the outside throw and the step-out late in the game.

All in all he looks like he can play and play well in the NFL. I think I see what the Steelers are envisioning. Sutton and Burns up at the line and zone-drops filling in around them while a 4 man rush gets to the passer. It could work...
    He had a great 4th quarter. The secondary did get beat a few times and had a total BS penalty on Burns on their last TD but stepped up in the 4th. All you can ask for is for them to have short memory. Its tough to judge secondary when the D is getting gashed by Ravens run game, tendency for the DB's to cheat. There is no doubt this secondary will get beat by Brady next week, they just have to make a few plays at end of game. The whole D tackled like shit, Sutton did have his share but overall the kid has potential.
    Last edited by cubanstogie; 12-12-2017 at 11:07 AM.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What was his snap count?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Smartest DB in this last draft class.

(Smartest player overall not named Josh Dobbs.)

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What was his snap count?
    45% of defensive snaps: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12...ounts-week-14/
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    What was his snap count?
    If only you were sitting in front of a device that contained the wealth of human knowledge....

Anyways, here it is -- http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12...ounts-week-14/

"cornerbacks Coty Sensabaugh (35 snaps) and Cameron Sutton (29 snaps) split time on the left side of the defense."

The really interesting exercise would be to look at the Ravens pass attempt distributions based on whether 24 or 34 was in the game. My faulty memory seems to indicate that they had far more success against 24 than 34. But until someone can break down the ALL-22 (which I do not pay for nor have time to do!) and make some decisions about Ravens offensive intent -- that question remains open for debate.

Further, what do the Steelers do when Haden returns?

1. Assume that Haden returns and by a week or so after he resumes playing is Joe Haden again - or at least the version of Joe Haden we saw the first half of the season. He gets all the snaps as one corner.
    2. Burns gets all of the other snaps. Honestly, other than BS penalties, did Burns give up a meaningful play last night? He is really coming up as a player.
    3. Hilton gets all of the snaps as the slot CB - because holy crap DONT mess with a good thing!

So that leaves William Gays 12-20 dime-back snaps per game a bit open for question. Do the Steelers feed some of those to Sutton as the likelier better coverage player at this point in his career? Do they keep Gay there because he can tackle better? Do you shift Gay into Golden's role in their bigger sub packages and hope the size difference doesn't hurt you?

So much to think about and all are good problems. At this point, my question is can William Gay play ILB?

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

If Sensablake and Haden can't play on Sunday, Sutton has his chance to play the whole game.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    If Sensablake and Haden can't play on Sunday, Sutton has his chance to play the whole game.
    Hopefully that’s not the case.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Perhaps not

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I think Haden will be a game time decision. I know he doesn't want to hurt the team so he won't go unless he feels he can get it done. He knows there are games still to play.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I believe Sutton was drafted to help the team play man coverage better, so that is a good sign.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It bears iteration...

Sutton was the smartest DB in his draft class, and the smartest player not named Josh Dobbs.

Sutton looked good tonight. Seemed like he played most of the snaps.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Sutton looked good tonight. Seemed like he played most of the snaps.
    Yep, he played well. Very encouraging.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Sutton to start in place of Burns?

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201712230100

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Guess the coaching staff are tired of Burns mental mistakes.

Could be good for him.

Could just be a way to get Sutton game reps prior to playoff games.

May not be a benching of Burns so much as it is the need to force feed Haden and Sutton reps in advance of elimination games.

Or it could be a regular good old fashioned benching. What do I know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

May be good to see what Sutton can do, especially with Burns being a disappointment in year 2

Strangely enough, this comes after Burns’ best game as a pro.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Maybe they wan't to see how Sutton does covering Hopkins. That will be a great test if so.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

i feel like its the latter. Burns has had several pretty good games in a row, definitely better than he has been the rest of the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Maybe they wan't to see how Sutton does covering Hopkins. That will be a great test if so.
    Well, if we're going to experiment then its better to do it now and not in the playoffs.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Well, if we're going to experiment then its better to do it now and not in the playoffs.
    Agreed and think that's what they are doing and not really a demotion to Burns and will use both.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Guess the coaching staff are tired of Burns mental mistakes.

Could be good for him.
    It did wonders for Ike Taylor when he was young and struggling. This will only make him pay more attention to his details.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    It did wonders for Ike Taylor when he was young and struggling. This will only make him pay more attention to his details.
    great analogy

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post

I think they want their young corners battle tested and ready to go when they face the Pats again. They're going to have their best "man" corners prepared.

Getting Haden back and a more prepared Sutton to go along with Burns is going to be huge. The secondary could be much stronger the next time around. I believe they're counting on that rematch happening and preparing for it right now. They're laying the groundwork for the next battle and they're hoping they have their full compliment of weapons offensively and defensively.

Sutton is clearly a guy that they believe in and they are throwing him into the fire to prepare him.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I like Sutton but I'm not sure if I like the idea of throwing him out there against Hopkins. We'll see.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Strangely enough, this comes after Burns’ best game as a pro.
    How does that qualify as his best game as a pro? I actually thought from the way that Hilton played, that Burns looked like the 3rd best Steelers CB last week. Sutton is much better with his technique and footwork. Maybe Artie gets more mental reps watching somebody in his place.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

Artie just needs to step away to much praise to early? has it gone to his head? hopefully he will take it as a learning experience and not get butthurt

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga