Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Bud Dupree one tackle tonight

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Re: Bud Dupree one tackle tonight

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Have the Steelers been getting gashed in the run game besides yesterday? Nope, seems like he and others have been doing their jobs.

Seeing nothing is a good thing.

- - - Updated - - -

Yet the Steelers are 2nd in sacks.
    and Dupree isn't playing up to what they expected. It will be interesting to see if they extend his contract. We'll see where we are in a year or so with him.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    and Dupree isn't playing up to what they expected. It will be interesting to see if they extend his contract.
    He's doing exactly what they're asking. So what you mean?

More Tomlin
    Q. Concentrating on the three young outside linebackers, how would you evaluate your three young outside linebackers – Bud Dupree, T.J. Watt, and Anthony Chickillo?

A. It has been exceptional play. We’re getting quality play from those guys, for the reasons I just talked about. I highlighted a couple of plays that really stand out to you in terms of those guys making plays in space and in coverage and in the things we ask them to do. It’s important. That position is being shaped and shaped in a big way by the evolution of football, and their ability to adjust will define them and their careers, because they’re very young, but also define us as a defensive unit in terms of how we evolve in the upcoming seasons. It’s really an interesting time from that perspective. It’s great to be in this game long enough to see the tides as they turn, and then have to maybe forecast and adjust.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

He's doing exactly what they're asking. So what you mean?

More Tomlin
    Tomlin and Lebeau had the same talking points about Jarvis Jones, up until they booted him.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

and Dupree isn't playing up to what they expected. It will be interesting to see if they extend his contract. We'll see where we are in a year or so with him.
    I agree that the real decision point with Dupree will be if his 5th year option is picked up.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

What you want me to do? post gifs of every game like I'm Steelers Depot? Go back and watch the games. Don't be a clown.

Counting yesterday, and the Jags games(all around disaster) were the only time I remember him not controlling his gap against the run. Other than that, I have not noticed him in the run game.

- - - Updated - - -

Smh.

JuJu: 585 yards receiving including 5 TD's. (JuJu has also missed two games this year, could easily be over 600 yards receiving.)
    Bell: 579 receiving yards, 2 TD's.

That's the two receiving options behind Brown.
    So then no need to upgrade the WR position, in your opinion. Two WRs are just fine and nothing else is needed. We also don't need to upgrade the TE's because the Steelers are first in passing yardage. Just because the Steelers are second in sacks does not mean one should be content with Dupree's lack of ability to get to the QB.

Dupree was not good in the Bears' game against the run. On this play he gets washed inside be the TE and then flat out just jogged after the Bears' RB right after.

Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post

Dupree was not good in the Bears' game against the run. On this play he gets washed inside be the TE and then flat out just jogged after the Bears' RB right after.

Look at that hold on Haden, that plays doesn't happen if he doesn't. Bud needed to play better there but assuming this is one play, then it's just one play. No one plays consistent on every play. Shazier should have played better on that play also. Wilcox....smh

Want to point out just incase you forgot, Bud was still in "treatment protocol" for his shoulder until the Bengals game. Something to consider watching the games early in the season.

Either way thanks for the gif. Was barely able to watch this game at a bar, glad I didn't.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...n-issue-bears/ Just wanted to post a link since this was the Bears game, Tomlin didn't blame the OLB's for the Bears success running the ball.

- - - Updated - - -

Tomlin and Lebeau had the same talking points about Jarvis Jones, up until they booted him.
    I'd take that serious if Bud was Jarvis, but he's not. If someone starts taking away his snaps, I'll believe it.
    Last edited by BlackAndGold; 12-12-2017 at 03:41 AM.

Look at that hold on Haden, that plays doesn't happen if he doesn't. Bud needed to play better there but assuming this is one play, then it's just one play. No one plays consistent on every play. Shazier should have played better on that play also. Wilcox....smh

Want to point out just incase you forgot, Bud was still in "treatment protocol" for his shoulder until the Bengals game. Something to consider watching the games early in the season.

Either way thanks for the gif. Was barely able to watch this game at a bar, glad I didn't.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/09...n-issue-bears/ Just wanted to post a link since this was the Bears game, Tomlin didn't blame the OLB's for the Bears success running the ball.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd take that serious if Bud was Jarvis, but he's not. If someone starts taking away his snaps, I'll believe it.
    The 2018 draft may give us a real hint.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

What you want me to do? post gifs of every game like I'm Steelers Depot? Don't be a clown.

Counting yesterday(wanna see how Tuitt played also), and the Jags games(all around disaster game) were the only times I remember him not controlling his gap against the run. Other than that, I have not noticed him in the run game.

Also I'll change great(since you're taking this dead serious) to "good".
    You're getting butt hurt about it so I'll just drop it.

I like Bud and hope that he can turn into a great player but this season hasn't shown me any signs of that.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post

I like Bud and hope that he can turn into a great player but this season hasn't shown me any signs of that.
    IMO, Dupree is someone who had a good combine. I don't see him as a good football player, at least not yet.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Are we going to talk about Sean Davis? I mean if we’re droning on and on about hyped draft choices who continue to disappoint. Plus Davis directly causes TDs for the other team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Are we going to talk about Sean Davis? I mean if we’re droning on and on about hyped draft choices who continue to disappoint. Plus Davis directly causes TDs for the other team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    he hasnt consistently failed in the way Dupree has this season. Davis directly saved a bunch of TD's up until now. i think Dupree is getting more fingers pointed at him because we have an OLB in reserve that could be make him replaceable. Davis, not so much. He sure makes me wonder if we need 2 safeties to replace and not 1 though
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    he hasnt consistently failed in the way Dupree has this season. Davis directly saved a bunch of TD's up until now. i think Dupree is getting more fingers pointed at him because we have an OLB in reserve that could be make him replaceable. Davis, not so much. He sure makes me wonder if we need 2 safeties to replace and not 1 though
    In each of the Steelers loses and in several of the games where they gave up large # of point, Sean Davis has had multiple points of failure. I can think of 3 plays against TEs in the endzone and the INT against the Ravens that went well. Other than that, Sean Davis has struggled in run support, had multiple Artie Burns level brain cramps in coverage, and is now taking penalties as well.

Truth be told, I still really like all three players (Burns, Davis, and Dupree) but I feel like certain players get singled out as targets for criticism and other players don't. Just as underwhelmed as I have been by Dupree, I have been equally underwhelmed by Davis.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post

Thank goodness.

Not every player on the team is going to be "great". Bud is a solid football player who has dealt with injury that is doing what the coaches have asked. Once fans accept that the OLB's are used differently then they use to they'll understand.

But if you want a great OLB, Watt looks to be that player.

- - - Updated - - -

The 2018 draft may give us a real hint.
    I'd be shocked if they took an OLB highly, maybe one late for depth.

TE/ILB/safety/o-line are higher on the list.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Anyone notice where Watt lined up on the game ending sack? In case you didn't he lined up over the right tackle ( Harrison was lined up over the left tackle, Watt's normal spot) So that should tell you something about how the Steelers are seeing Bud.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Anyone notice where Watt lined up on the game ending sack? In case you didn't he lined up over the right tackle ( Harrison was lined up over the left tackle, Watt's normal spot) So that should tell you something about how the Steelers are seeing Bud.
    Great point. Which illustrates the debate in this and other threads. In a sense, everyone is "right".

1. Harrison is the superior pass rusher to Bud Dupree.
    2. Dupree does things down the field and in space that the Steelers value over what Harrison can do around and behind the line of scrimmage.

As a result, Harrison goes into the game in all out pass-rush scenarios and Dupree plays in all other scenarios. Hopefully as the Steelers move forward, they get in more game situations where they are up big and JH can just come in and bull rush tackles into the QB!

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Harrison played 11 snaps. If it wasn't for injuries to Ryan and Tyler he doesn't dress. I wouldn't read to much into it.

Thank goodness.

Not every player on the team is going to be "great". Bud is a solid football player who has dealt with injury that is doing what the coaches have asked. Once fans accept that the OLB's are used differently then they use to they'll understand.

But if you want a great OLB, Watt looks to be that player.

- - - Updated - - -

I'd be shocked if they took an OLB highly, maybe one late for depth.

TE/ILB/safety/o-line are higher on the list.
    They were really high on the dude from Nowhere State that they took in the 7th round or something. Interesting to see what he brings in camp. But you are on to something. They likely will have to take at least one OLB as arguably neither Harrison nor Moats will be on the 2018 roster.

They were really high on the dude from Nowhere State that they took in the 7th round or something. Interesting to see what he brings in camp. But you are on to something. They likely will have to take at least one OLB as arguably neither Harrison nor Moats will be on the 2018 roster.
    lol. nowhere state

You thinking of Keion Adams? yea they were, sucks he got hurt. Good athlete, great bend, long arms. Hoping they found a gem.

lol. nowhere state

You thinking of Keion Adams? yea they were, sucks he got hurt. Good athlete, great bend, long arms. Hoping they found a gem.
    That's the guy.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

lol. nowhere state

They were loving what he was showing in camp before his injury.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Harrison played 11 snaps. If it wasn't for injuries to Ryan and Tyler he doesn't dress. I wouldn't read to much into it.
    Harrison is incidental to my point. It's that in a crucial situation they chose to keep Bud on the sidelines.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

"Dupree actually has more pressures than Watt too. 25.5 to 20.5 on my latest count. And he’s dropping into coverage at a pretty decent clip (though no, not as often as Watt).Don’t misunderstand me. Ask me who is playing better, Watt or Dupree, and it’s Watt. Clearly. But that might just mean Watt is special, not that Dupree is dismal."

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/12...ve-bud-dupree/

Pretty much echoes the debate around here. Dupree is not as good as one would like but is not in Jarvis Jones territory either. Alex has already broken down Dupree's technique issues here -- http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11...ly-bud-dupree/

The more I think about it, the more I figure Dupree is going to fall out somewhere between Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes, and Nick Perry and other "late bloomers" as pass rushers. Guys that took a few seasons to impact. It is also important to note that Dupree has only played in 35 NFL games and started only 21 of those. While needing that many games to "impact" is worrying for a first round pick.

But as I posted earlier, there are few 1st round picks drafted in the last 5 years that are putting up per game started sack #'s higher than Dupree. And on second look, I'm not as excited about Ray's #'s. They were good last year, but amount to 1 sack in 7 games this year w/ 6 of those being full starts.

Clearly, I would rather magically have Chandler Jones, Myles Garrett, or Joey Bossa but outside of those guys the comparable #'s and players say there is still room for optimism surrounding Dupree for the long-term.

Now, all that being said -- what about the short term? That is where some are starting to sway me. I was really against the use of Harrison extensively because I was only looking at things in a longer view. But if I change the perspective to just the 2017 season, then yeah I can start seeing situations/scenarios where Harrison needs to be on the field more.

Where does that leave me? I want to see Harrison be given a chance in crucial pass rush situations to make an impact. Perhaps the best is that he comes in at Watt's spot and Watt takes on the LT in place of Dupree. But I still argue that the door has not shut on Dupree developing into an above average or better pass rusher. He generates pressures and sacks at a rate far above anything Jarvis Jones dreamed of and the underlying pass rush measures leave room for hope that Dupree still has a "break out" on the horizon.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

The more I think about it, the more I figure Dupree is going to fall out somewhere between Melvin Ingram, Jerry Hughes, and Nick Perry and other "late bloomers" as pass rushers. Guys that took a few seasons to impact.
    My hunch as well. I just have no faith in Bud pulling it off this season, but it would be a pleasant surprise if he did it sooner, rather than later. To be fair i think fans in general wouldnt be as harsh on Bud if we were actually getting injury updates on that shoulder.

Speaking of Nick Perry, it would be nice if Bud plays like him when injured. Perry, for all the playing time he has missed, has played through a ton of injuries and had some of his best games in those moments. But thats wishful thinking
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Dupree has definately regress a little this season.

Such wide angles getting the QB. Struggling to defend the run.

Maybe move him around the line if he is struggling. Sometime a confidence booster gets your right back into it.

4.5 40 at 270 lbs he should be a all pro LB every year

Dupree's NFL combine report still holds true

Weaknesses: Tall but not long. Wins with athleticism over skill at this point. Some scouts believe his instincts are below average, leading to hesitation. Will get caught taking bad angles to the ball. Needs to improve hand fighting. Still raw rushing the passer. Doesn't possess a go-to pass-rush move. Appears to lack urgency in-game.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

I think Dupree has always been the big fish in a small pond. He has gotten by on natural talent and in the NFL you have to have the drive and work ethic. I watched Jon Randle on an NFL life and it was the exact opposite story of Dupree. What a beast Randle was. At this point Dupree is not a finisher.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

Jarvis Dupree...I mean Bud Jones

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

I thought Dupree had a pretty good game. He had a sack and a few pressures.

Don't let the loss determine how you judge a player. Bud played pretty well.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    I thought Dupree had a pretty good game. He had a sack and a few pressures.

Don't let the loss determine how you judge a player. Bud played pretty well.
    The guy was a non-factor, as usual.
    Hater = Realist