Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tell me why I'm crazy. T.J.Watt to replace Shazier?

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Tell me why I'm crazy. T.J.Watt to replace Shazier?

He checks all the boxes. He's already excellent in coverage, has great speed and agility. And those long arms, tell me how many more passes he could bat down from inside? You see what Ryan Shazier gave this team and the one guy I could see filling those shoes is T.J. I know it's a lot to throw on a rookie's plate. Watt's biggest trouble to date has been shedding blockers. As an interior linebacker that's not going to be as big of problem. Plus this gets James Harrison on the field, so you end up with your best 11.

Have at me!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Tell me why I'm crazy. T.J.Watt to replace Shazier?

I agree with you!
    Last edited by polamalubeast; 12-09-2017 at 04:28 PM.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

IMO he's the only guy on the team that could possibly do it.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I see no problem with it, he knows the responsibilites of the position, I'd give it a try. Draft another ILB or OLB in the draft.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Brilliant idea! I'd love to see it.

Anyone know Tomlin's user name on here? It'd be great if he logged into the thread.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I hope Tomlin will try this!

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I can’t call you crazy. It is exactly what I would do. MAYBE not this season because something about overloading a rookie. But I would seriously consider it this off season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

When he was drafted, the card said LB (neither inside nor outside). At the time (for about 12 hours), I was convinced he would play ILB.

Over the past 9 months, mojouw & I have discussed where he’d best fit. We’ve landed on him (eventually) being a Derrick Thomas type of LB. The Steelers would play a 3-4, and Watt would like up anywhere he wants: OLB, ILB, DE, SS...

But, yes, for this year, I could see that happening. Heck, he’s lined up at ILB on many snaps already this season.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

in the long term? i would still say crazy. in the short term? not crazy at all. as teegre said, he has worked in as an ILB already anyways and is more than cerebral enough to continue to do so. i say work him in there more and more and finally let Deebo on the field.

if we keep TJ in there as an ILB in the long term though were asking him to play a position he has never played at any point in his life. the far bigger problem is that it leaves us with this seemingly perpetual hole at OLB. Deebo will retire any minute now. No season is a guarantee, even if hes signed on for 1 more season. Dupree isnt a sure thing either. 3 seasons in and hes still a 1-move, technique-lacking pass rusher who might never develop into a bookend OLB.

Flipping TJ to ILB (progressively) while slowly taking away snaps form Moats/Spence, with Deebo and Dupree outside. Then sign Navorro Bowman next offseason, move TJ back to OLB (for the most part), and draft another OLB at some point (but not necessarily as a huge priority) incase Dupree cant make the leap. If he does make the leap, then awesome, we have a deadly 3 man rotation at OLB and opponents are going to have a long day
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Not a bad idea to try.

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

You know that's a great idea and, I wonder if TJ has ever played that position?

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    He checks all the boxes. He's already excellent in coverage, has great speed and agility. And those long arms, tell me how many more passes he could bat down from inside? You see what Ryan Shazier gave this team and the one guy I could see filling those shoes is T.J. I know it's a lot to throw on a rookie's plate. Watt's biggest trouble to date has been shedding blockers. As an interior linebacker that's not going to be as big of problem. Plus this gets James Harrison on the field, so you end up with your best 11.

Have at me!

Personally, I think you were bored and just wanted a reason to use that smiley.

No, I could see it happening. Move Harrison in at OLB and Watt to ILB for the rest of the season. I think it gives us our strongest chance at winning.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Have at me!
    Sounds good to me, but that doesn't mean Harrison would play.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Sounds good to me, but that doesn't mean Harrison would play.
    I think it does, as it would give us our best 11. If he didn't play after a move like this then something is either wrong with Deebo or Joey Porter, his position coach.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I think it does, as it would give us our best 11. If he didn't play after a move like this then something is either wrong with Deebo or Joey Porter, his position coach.
    I personally think he is in Tomlin's doghouse. I doubt Porter decides who plays and who doesn't. I also don't buy the excuse of using him when it gets cold or the saving him for the Patriots.

Unfortunately, Watt will not be moved. They could at least ease him into it by sharing time with Matakevich, Fort and/or Spence.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Have at me!
    I’m going to agree.......just because of that mess oh....sorry....of what you just posted.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

While I don’t think it’s a bad idea or would be against it, I don’t think there’s a need to move Watt there. He’s still learning the NFL OLB position and he’s doing well with it. He’s young and it would be easy for him to get overwhelmed. Everyone wants to compare the roster to that of New England’s and lets not forget that they lost Hightower in October and pretty much replaced him with a couple no names, as they usually do and they’ve actually been getting better as the season goes on that side of the ball. As hard as it is to say, you have to trust that Colbert and Tomlin have the depth on the roster and a scheme to cover the loss of Shazier.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I personally think he is in Tomlin's doghouse. I doubt Porter decides who plays and who doesn't. I also don't buy the excuse of using him when it gets cold or the saving him for the Patriots.

Unfortunately, Watt will not be moved. They could at least ease him into it by sharing time with Matakevich, Fort and/or Spence.
    Ahh, the mythical Tomlin doghouse from which no one escapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Or it's a cop out for people who refuse to accept that maybe a 39 year old LB who was once one of the best to ever play has lost a step or two.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

They could also take an inventory of their assets by giving both Spence and Harrison playing time and also putting Watt in coverage more often.

Regardless, the most important thing, in my opinion, is that they have the best solution figured out by the playoffs.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    They could also take an inventory of their assets by giving both Spence and Harrison playing time and also putting Watt in coverage more often.

Regardless, the most important thing, in my opinion, is that they have the best solution figured out by the playoffs.
    Agreed. At the end of the day all that matters to me is how many wins we get. If that means JH sits while the Rook kills it, then so be it. I know that I'm not arrogant enough to assume I know more than the guys getting paid to make these decisions. They are accountable for those decisions whether good or bad.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Have at me!
    Zu, I happen to agree with you. The only big drop off will be play calling.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Or it's a cop out for people who refuse to accept that maybe a 39 year old LB who was once one of the best to ever play has lost a step or two.
    Harrison was still one of the best pass rushers in football on a per snap basis in 2015 and 2016. How big is that loss of a step supposed to be. He deserves to play
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Harrison was still one of the best pass rushers in football on a per snap basis in 2015 and 2016. How big is that loss of a step supposed to be. He deserves to play
    Was being the key word in your quote. So do you think that the Steelers are intentionally keeping a better player off the field? You can't believe that, can you?

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Was being the key word in your quote. So do you think that the Steelers are intentionally keeping a better player off the field? You can't believe that, can you?
    It's happen before with DL but that was the opposite not playing the rookies.

uh what? I said WAS, as in 2016 and 2015. Thats a season ago. Hes barely played this season. You're insinuating that you've seen enough out of him this season to think he doesnt deserve to play?

And, no i dont think its intentional, i just dont think theyre smart enough to learn from past mistakes. Keeping Deebo off the field even while he was the superior player isnt something new. We've literally done that the past 2 seasons. Did you completely forget that?

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    About as good as the he is too old; if he was any good he would be playing; he can't play STs; he can't cover etc...
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Coming back to this. Coming off a short week (MNF ) I suppose this was an extreme pipe dream. Also with the Ravens offense you can say maybe the Steelers didn't feel going in that they had to put their best foot forward defensively. But being as how shitty Spence and company proved to be, and knowing that you have an elite offense in the Patriots coming into town maybe we'll see a little creativity in the game plan and T.J. might get some looks inside? If you put a blindfold and ankle ball on him I would wager he'd outperform the Spence - Moats duo! Understanding there's a bit of robbing Peter to pay Paul here. But still I think if you give Harrison 25-35 snaps and combine that with some dime personell you end up with a better result than putting Spence and Moats out there!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Member Array title="Skinart82 is an unknown quantity at this point">

This would honestly be the best situation, you put Bud and James on the outside, edge pressure really doesn't matter against Brady as he just steps up in the pocket, so if they cannot get to him off the edge, that doesn't matter anyway, but you can have Williams put pressure up the middle with the DL and drop Watt into coverage to keep up with Gronk.

No other ILB on the roster can cover Gronk, TJ is long, fast and strong, he would be the best bet at taking away Brady's favorite target.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

A tangent from this discussion, but related...

How amazing is Watt that we are talking about even the possibility of moving him. I mean, the dude could line up at SS and I’d be like: “He will excel at that, too.” He was definitely a home run in the draft!!!

A jack of all trades... and, a master at most of them.