Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can the Defense Develop Another Playmaker?

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Can the Defense Develop Another Playmaker?

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I said early on this season, maybe even preseason, when a lot of people were freaking out over the loss of Timmons to free agency that they would be pleasantly surprised at how well VW would do. I'm just glad I was correct, because he has been playing very well this year.

Yep it was in May of this year when we had the discussion.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...s-The-Weakest?
    And the the man knows how to tackle.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I said early on this season, maybe even preseason, when a lot of people were freaking out over the loss of Timmons to free agency that they would be pleasantly surprised at how well VW would do. I'm just glad I was correct, because he has been playing very well this year.

Yep it was in May of this year when we had the discussion.

http://www.steelersuniverse.com/foru...s-The-Weakest?
    i was pretty excited to see him finally get his shot in the offseason but those first few slow games had me a little worried (The Timmons curse perhaps? ). boy was i wrong. this guy is pure hustle
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

VW is great at getting sacks and tackles, how is he in coverage? I haven't paid much attention to him in coverage

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Losing Shazier sucks. He’s not going to be replaced by anyone.

Sure, Watt and Davis could be the next big thing, but they’d be great regardless of who plays ILB. Simply, I’d rather have them AND Shazier (but, he’s not coming back... a void which will not be easily filled any time soon).

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Losing Shazier sucks. He’s not going to be replaced by anyone.

Sure, Watt and Davis could be the next big thing, but they’d be great regardless of who plays ILB. Simply, I’d rather have them AND Shazier (but, he’s not coming back... a void which will not be easily filled any time soon).
    AND........?

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    AND........?
    And... the Steelers always find a new playmaker. It’s what they do. Watt, Heyward, Davis, Tuitt, et cetera.

And... even if they draft a guy at ILB who’s just as good, it uses a draft pick that could be used on a S or TE.

SUMMATION:
    This loss, this void hurts.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    And... the Steelers always find a new playmaker. It’s what they do. Watt, Heyward, Davis, Tuitt, et cetera.

And... even if they draft a guy at ILB who’s just as good, it uses a draft pick that could be used on a S or TE.

SUMMATION:
    This loss, this void hurts.

No question.

He is an elite talent and athlete. You are correct. They were going to use this upcoming draft to build on top of the talent already on the roster. This gives them another hole to fill if Ryan is no longer able to play or better yet...chooses not to.

This isn't something that is insurmountable. It just makes it more difficult.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

The loss hurts but once you accept involuntary attrition as a normal part of the game you learn not to dwell on it.

The main thing is Ryan's personal well-being.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    The loss hurts but once you accept involuntary attrition as a normal part of the game you learn not to dwell on it.

The main thing is Ryan's personal well-being.
    very true. Its not like this is the first time they go without him either. Don't want to sound cold hearted and like Im already moving on but honestly ever since he went down I thought he was done and just want him to walk again and have a family. No doubt he will be missed on field and locker room. Since Ryan arrived it does seem Ravens TE's and check downs to RB's has decreased. flacco and Pitta , Ray Rice and whoever was back there used to kill us.No coincidence Im sure. Patriots a little different their WR's picked us apart. No way around it, this sucks. But this team still talented enough to win it all. IMO it all comes down to the secondary. Haden will be huge boost.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    i was pretty excited to see him finally get his shot in the offseason but those first few slow games had me a little worried (The Timmons curse perhaps? ). boy was i wrong. this guy is pure hustle
    I agree. I liked Williams from the day he blew up a pulling guard in the Senior Bowl, but he went MIA for a few games this season, which had me a bit concerned. I always thought he and Spence would be the LB tandem when drafted, but we know how that turned out.

I believe in the guys they have, but nobody is really as athletic of a LB as Shazier.