Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Steelers' Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier underwent spinal stabilization surgery after sustaining a severe back injury against the Cincinnati Bengals on Monday night.
    The Steelers announced the surgery, which was performed Wednesday by team physicians David Okonkwo and Joseph Maroon, who has long been with the team and developed the ImPACT concussion testing program that the NFL has adopted.
    The team offered no further updates on the matter.
    Spinal stabilization surgery is done with the intent to stabilize the spine when there is some evidence of instability there, according to ESPN injury analyst, Stephania Bell. The procedure involves the insertion of some internal fixation, using hardware, to stabilize a segment of the spine, which presumably gives a person the best opportunity to allow the neurological recovery to continue.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21702126/pittsburgh-steelers-linebacker-ryan-shazier-undergoes-spinal-stabilization-surgery-wednesday-night-team-announced-thursday

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers' Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery

This truly is awful. Prayers

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

So sad. I really just want him to walk again, could care less if he plays another down for us.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Link to P-G article - IMO Keith Butler sums up what everyone is thinking

“I’m not worried about him playing for us again, I’m more worried about him,” defensive coordinator Keith Butler said Thursday. “Y’all have been updated as much as we have. The thing that we’re hopeful for and prayerful for is that he comes back and he’ll be OK. The football stuff is secondary. His life is a lot more important to me than football.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201712070165

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I guess the world doesn't revolve around my football fandom, after all... Prayers for Ryan to get better. God always has a plan.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Sounds like he is in really good hands. Keeping fingers crossed.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He must have smashed a few discs. Definitely IR. He may not return because of it.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I hope he retires and enjoys his life and can run around the back yard with his kids. Even IF he is cleared to play, I can't imagine him playing his position with the same intensity that he has been doing. His family needs him more than we do.

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I hope he retires and enjoys his life and can run around the back yard with his kids. Even IF he is cleared to play, I can't imagine him playing his position with the same intensity that he has been doing. His family needs him more than we do.
    That’s the truth. I’d be scared for him if he played again. There is no lower gear for him on the field.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Some of us older guys remember Darryl Stingley and later, Mike Utley.

It's just a scary thought and it's starting to sink in (alot) more after this update.

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

It's amazing how some hits in football look and sound so violent and guys are able to get up and walk off the field, the impact looked so ordinary. I hope and pray Ryan can recover.

Quote Originally Posted by Neversatisfied View Post
    It's amazing how some hits in football look and sound so violent and guys are able to get up and walk off the field, the impact looked so ordinary. I hope and pray Ryan can recover.
    Seriously. I thought the hit on Brown in the end zone looked and sounded much more violent than the one Shazier had.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Prayer's to Ryan and his family for a full recovery, and for faith and strength to make it through this terrible time. Stay strong and know that ALL are praying for Ryan. God has a plan, just believe.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

I don't know if he will ever play another down in football, but I am thankful for what he has given to this team. His presence will be missed, but there are far more pressing concerns right now. My prayers for Ryan and his family that he can over come this injury and lead a normal life.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

he should retire right now, even if he eventually gets cleared for football someday. its just not worth it. live to see your children grow up on your own 2 legs Ryan
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    he should retire right now, even if he eventually gets cleared for football someday. its just not worth it. live to see your children grow up on your own 2 legs Ryan
    Agreed, his health and family are most important!

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

The hit didn't look out of the ordinary like mentioned. However, you have to wonder if all the hits he's given, as well as taken had something to do with it. He has a tendency to lead with his head more often than not. I actually noticed it with him more than any other Steelers player I've watched. Don't get me wrong, I'm not taking anything away from Shazier. He's an aggressive football player who got hurt doing what he does, and that is trying to deliver a blow with his head. All of those collisions must have finally taken its toll. Really hope 50 can recover to live his life to the fullest, whether that be on a football field or not.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Prayers for Ryan.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Really hoping he'll be able to simply walk again. Prayers to Ryan and his family.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Sounds terrible. Hopefully he’s able to walk normal. Agree with the ones saying he should take care of himself and his family and retire. The selfish side of me wants to say nothing would make me happier to see him on the field next week, but he’s got to take care of himself and stay away from the game. Such an unfortunate and terrible injury...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

he shouldn't play another down in the nfl again. im just hoping he can make a full recovery though and live normal life.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

We’re all saying he should retire but it’s his life. If he wants to come back and play because that’s his passion than good for him. If he retires then I pray he has peace. Either way I want him to be well.

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

This news sucks.

I really do think the NFL's days are numbered. This sport is just too violent.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

This is the way I feel, as well. Prayers for Ryan for a full recovery and a lifetime of happiness with his family. God bless him.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I DO care if Shazier plays again. I want for him to make a full recovery and be back out there blowing up offenses. I know that's a long way off and will depend on multiple factors to get back to that place. But that's what I want. I know Shaz wants that too, and that thought will be a big part of what drives him to continue to get better. Yes, one step at a time. First let's get back on our feet...

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Any doctor providing a diagnosis without having access to the patient and their medical records obviously is flying blind, but I am posting this column by the San Diego ProFootballDoc in an attempt to forward some hopeful observations as reality seems to have become progressively worse since Monday night

Surgery not necessarily a setback for Ryan Shazier

The announcement Ryan Shazier had spinal stabilization surgery is not a surprise and does not mean a turn for the worse....

The necessity for the procedure indicates part of Shazier's spine was unstable and involved bone, ligament and/or disc disruption. This was always a possible cause for the spinal cord insult that resulted in at least temporary loss of feeling and movement in his legs....

The best-case scenario of a spinal cord concussion and early recovery are gone. Let’s hope for the next-best possibility of a great result from surgery and full neurologic recovery over the next 4-6 months.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...207-story.html

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

I think it would be better if he could chase his kids with 4.3 speed and lead the back yard in tackles. No need to let up just because you're not on an NFL field.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Any doctor providing a diagnosis without having access to the patient and their medical records obviously is flying blind, but I am posting this column by the San Diego ProFootballDoc in an attempt to forward some hopeful observations as reality seems to have become progressively worse since Monday night

Surgery not necessarily a setback for Ryan Shazier

The announcement Ryan Shazier had spinal stabilization surgery is not a surprise and does not mean a turn for the worse....

The necessity for the procedure indicates part of Shazier's spine was unstable and involved bone, ligament and/or disc disruption. This was always a possible cause for the spinal cord insult that resulted in at least temporary loss of feeling and movement in his legs....

The best-case scenario of a spinal cord concussion and early recovery are gone. Let’s hope for the next-best possibility of a great result from surgery and full neurologic recovery over the next 4-6 months.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...207-story.html
    Thanks. I don't consider that a diagnosis. It's simply an expert passing on general information on the process of dealing with these types of injuries. So, it makes it an even better article IMO.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I think it would be better if he could chase his kids with 4.3 speed and lead the back yard in tackles. No need to let up just because you're not on an NFL field.
    Naa, the 4.3 speed won't be important until he's chasing young men escaping from his future daughter's window.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Naa, the 4.3 speed won't be important until he's chasing young men escaping from his future daughter's window.
    Good to know his future daughter is apparently a huge ho.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar