Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

Re: Steelers' Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery

As a huge Ohio State fan, I hope he is able to resume a normal life and live a long, useful life. Football isn't that important at this point. He has enough money to live comfortably the rest of his life. I hope he doesn't jeopardize it by trying to play again.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

I just checked the roster listing at Steelers.com and they have not placed him in IR as of yet.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by stillers4me View Post
    I just have to give huge props to Aditi for the way that she's covered Ryan's injury. I just wish that every person who calls themselves a Journalist, Sports Reporter, etc. handled things with such professionalism, dignity and class.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    I just have to give huge props to Aditi for the way that she's covered Ryan's injury. I just wish that every person who calls themselves a Journalist, Sports Reporter, etc. handled things with such professionalism, dignity and class.
    She lives not far from Ryan and said she talks to him at least once a week about kids, etc. This has been very personal for her.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I just checked the roster listing at Steelers.com and they have not placed him in IR as of yet.
    I think they will probably wait until they absolutely have to before they make that move. Right now I think they have the extra roster spot because of JuJu sitting a game.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I think they will probably wait until they absolutely have to before they make that move. Right now I think they have the extra roster spot because of JuJu sitting a game.
    Good point.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    Yeah, there's no benefit to putting him on IR this minute. I know chances are slim to none that he plays again this season, but since it just happened, they will probably wait until they have all the information they can get. If there's like a 1-in-100,000 chance that on Monday he rips off his shirt and starts doing pass-coverage drills on the hospital room balcony, I guess that's better than zero.

Another thing I wonder about is what happens next year if this is a career-ending injury. They picked up his fifth-year option which is $8.7M, and that's guaranteed for injury only. Does that mean they carry him on IR? He retires and it counts as dead money? Are they allowed to extend him on a guaranteed contract to spread out the cap hit (say, 2 years, $8.7M) if they know he's never playing again? Change the deal and hope he comes back after two years? Really unfamiliar territory; I can't think of a first-round pick who's been good enough to get the extension and suffered a potentially career-ending injury exactly at that point in his contract.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Yeah, there's no benefit to putting him on IR this minute. I know chances are slim to none that he plays again this season, but since it just happened, they will probably wait until they have all the information they can get. If there's like a 1-in-100,000 chance that on Monday he rips off his shirt and starts doing pass-coverage drills on the hospital room balcony, I guess that's better than zero.

Another thing I wonder about is what happens next year if this is a career-ending injury. They picked up his fifth-year option which is $8.7M, and that's guaranteed for injury only. Does that mean they carry him on IR? He retires and it counts as dead money? Are they allowed to extend him on a guaranteed contract to spread out the cap hit (say, 2 years, $8.7M) if they know he's never playing again? Change the deal and hope he comes back after two years? Really unfamiliar territory; I can't think of a first-round pick who's been good enough to get the extension and suffered a potentially career-ending injury exactly at that point in his contract.
    They will do what most benefits Ryan.....I think.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post

Definitely uncharted territory for the Steelers. Maybe the Steelers take this opportunity to institute some sort of standard for injuries like this that the league then adopts for all teams going forward. Kind of like they did with the Rooney Rule. I mean we all know this is bigger than football and while we all want to be entertained we also know this is just a game and these guys have families to support after they finish playing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    I agree with you on this for sure. Look at what they did for Sean Spence when he had his terrible injury. Heck if it weren't for the class the Steelers had, he would have never had played again more than likely.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Any doctor providing a diagnosis without having access to the patient and their medical records obviously is flying blind, but I am posting this column by the San Diego ProFootballDoc in an attempt to forward some hopeful observations as reality seems to have become progressively worse since Monday night

Surgery not necessarily a setback for Ryan Shazier

The announcement Ryan Shazier had spinal stabilization surgery is not a surprise and does not mean a turn for the worse....

The necessity for the procedure indicates part of Shazier's spine was unstable and involved bone, ligament and/or disc disruption. This was always a possible cause for the spinal cord insult that resulted in at least temporary loss of feeling and movement in his legs....

The best-case scenario of a spinal cord concussion and early recovery are gone. Let’s hope for the next-best possibility of a great result from surgery and full neurologic recovery over the next 4-6 months.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/...207-story.html
    His stuff is usually spot on and a great source of info.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    His stuff is usually spot on and a great source of info.
    Indeed.

The guy is money when when it comes to medical analysis.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

She lives not far from Ryan and said she talks to him at least once a week about kids, etc. This has been very personal for her.
    Yep. She's the only NFL related person that I didn't stop following on Twitter after this JuJu fiasco. Her tweets are a breath of fresh air compared to all of the garbage that the other sports people put out there.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    Yep. She's the only NFL related person that I didn't stop following on Twitter after this JuJu fiasco. Her tweets are a breath of fresh air compared to all of the garbage that the other sports people put out there.

She’s the perfect example of “journalist” versus “talking head”.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Is Ryan fighting for his career, or his future ability to lead a normal type life? At this point it's obviously just speculation. While no one will say it obviously we all want him to be able to resume his football career, as that's our only window into his life. In other words once he's no longer a player we don't wish him poorly. We do want him to lead a great life, but he'll be off our radar. And our thoughts will gravitate towards finding his replacement.

Anyway even if the surgery he had returns him to full mobility, agility, and core strength in time for next years training camp will he mentally ever be the same? Just hesitate a millisecond and the game doesn't come to you the same. Plus his first instinct has too often been to attack with the crown of his helmet. Can he willfully change this approach without compromising his explosion to the play? And if he doesn't can you really say you even want to see him out there? I mean you'll literally be holding your breath waiting to see him get up all right, two or three times a game.

Sorry to say I don't think he can change his game and still be a great player. Your instincts are what they are, and on an ever moving plane such as a live play on a football field if you're not operating on instinct first you're probably going to be left wanting. And if he doesn't change his game with his spinal column already once being compromised to such an extent it would be akin to juggling sweaty dynamite every time he takes the field.

Long story short, no matter how successful the surgery was, no matter how complete the recovery eventually is ( and I pray it's complete in a short time) the Ryan Shazier that took the field this past Monday night likely no longer exists.

I just don't see him coming back as a great player again. It's different than with a qb (i.e. Tommy Maddox). A qb doesn't have to play with frantic physical aggression like a defensive player does.

Hope I'm proved wrong, and not trying to be an unsupporitve douche. I just sharing my thoughts.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Is Ryan fighting for his career, or his future ability to lead a normal type life? At this point it's obviously just speculation. While no one will say it obviously we all want him to be able to resume his football career, as that's our only window into his life. In other words once he's no longer a player we don't wish him poorly. We do want him to lead a great life, but he'll be off our radar. And our thoughts will gravitate towards finding his replacement.

Anyway even if the surgery he had returns him to full mobility, agility, and core strength in time for next years training camp will he mentally ever be the same? Just hesitate a millisecond and the game doesn't come to you the same. Plus his first instinct has too often been to attack with the crown of his helmet. Can he willfully change this approach without compromising his explosion to the play? And if he doesn't can you really say you even want to see him out there? I mean you'll literally be holding your breath waiting to see him get up all right, two or three times a game.

Sorry to say I don't think he can change his game and still be a great player. Your instincts are what they are, and on an ever moving plane such as a live play on a football field if you're not operating on instinct first you're probably going to be left wanting. And if he doesn't change his game with his spinal column already once being compromised to such an extent it would be akin to juggling sweaty dynamite every time he takes the field.

Long story short, no matter how successful the surgery was, no matter how complete the recovery eventually is ( and I pray it's complete in a short time) the Ryan Shazier that took the field this past Monday night likely no longer exists.

I just don't see him coming back as a great player again. It's different than with a qb (i.e. Tommy Maddox). A qb doesn't have to play with frantic physical aggression like a defensive player does.

Hope I'm proved wrong, and not trying to be an unsupporitve douche. I just sharing my thoughts.
    Maybe he comes back a better player......makes better decisions. Who knows. That could have been Troy, on Monday night, so many times.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

No doubt he'll be taken care of, and it's fortunate on his part that he has that roughly $9 million guaranteed which I don't think there's any way it goes away.

I just wonder, is it even legal to change the deal if it would benefit one or both parties to spread it out; or if they don't think he's playing next year but want to give him a chance to come back the following year without being a free agent, those kinds of things. It would be an interesting article if someone who knew how it worked went through the list of scenarios.

Personally, I would be amazed if the guy ever comes back to play professional football again. Physically it would be a miracle, and even then it would take balls the size of a house to actually step back on the field knowing how close you were to being permanently in a wheelchair, and that once it happens the risk of re-injury is high. I sure wouldn't do it. But I'm also not him, so I can't really say. All kinds of possibilities and I'm sure lots of complicated legalistic wrangling over all but one, which is that he retires before March.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post

I agree pretty much with this. If he makes a full recovery, I hope he gets into another line of work, he's made some good money, he's a smart guy and young and there is a whole world out there to work in and enjoy.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There's no reason a guy can't learn to tackle with his head up. As for the mental side, some guys are wired tougher and others weaker. I wouldn't dare speculate that Ryan couldn't be as good if the physical side heals. I think that would be a disservice to him.

If Deebo can change his playing style so can Ryan.

Senior Member Array title="BnG_Hevn has much to be proud of"> BnG_Hevn's Avatar
    Battleball Champion!

Seriously. I thought the hit on Brown in the end zone looked and sounded much more violent than the one Shazier had.
    But the spine is special. A "little" injury to it trumps all else, except head injuries.

- - - Updated - - -

He won't be playing football again, not if he has two brain cells in his noggin.

If he does, he's either desperate for money or just plain stupid. I wish him well in his after-football life. The stabilization surgery is to keep the nerves "isolated" to relieve the pain. It may not a routine surgery, but a friend of mine who knows a little about it says he "should" be able to walk etc. But playing football? Not if he is smart.
    “They say all marriages are made in heaven, but so are thunder and lightning.”
    ― Clint Eastwood

Quote Originally Posted by BnG_Hevn View Post
    But the spine is special. A "little" injury to it trumps all else, except head injuries.

- - - Updated - - -

He won't be playing football again, not if he has two brain cells in his noggin.

If he does, he's either desperate for money or just plain stupid. I wish him well in his after-football life. The stabilization surgery is to keep the nerves "isolated" to relieve the pain. It may not a routine surgery, but a friend of mine who knows a little about it says he "should" be able to walk etc. But playing football? Not if he is smart.
    I personally don't think he'll play again and I'm fine with that. His family and children are way more important than a football career. When I was speaking with my wife about this situation, I mentioned that there may be a possibility of him coming back but probably next year. She responded by asking if he had a wife and kids, when I replied yes she said there is no way he comes back. When looking at it from her point of view I can see what see's saying. His wife was probably already worried to death about him on every Sunday, and now that one of her worst fears just happened, no way she lets him get that close to another serious injury again.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

The good thing about the surgery was it wasn’t an emergency surgery but it was a preventative surgery. There’s a really good chance he could heal, like any broken bone heals and lead a normal life like anyone with a broken bone would. The spine would be as normal as it was before the hit on Monday Night. In theory, if everything heals properly, there’s no reason he can’t comeback and play at the same level he was pre-Monday night...if he has the mindset to do so. Physically, if everything heals like planned, he can do it no problem. Mentally though...I think that’s the tough part and naturally so.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    The good thing about the surgery was it wasn’t an emergency surgery but it was a preventative surgery. There’s a really good chance he could heal, like any broken bone heals and lead a normal life like anyone with a broken bone would. The spine would be as normal as it was before the hit on Monday Night. In theory, if everything heals properly, there’s no reason he can’t comeback and play at the same level he was pre-Monday night...if he has the mindset to do so. Physically, if everything heals like planned, he can do it no problem. Mentally though...I think that’s the tough part and naturally so.
    Yep. I've been doing a little reading and that's exactly what I've concluded as well. It was preventative surgery against future problems and he could play next year without any issues except perhaps the mental fear of it happening again. Here's hoping he is able to play next year, regardless of whether he actually does.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Don't be misled into thinking that the term preventative surgery means "all is good."

It can indicate the need for treatment to prevent a bad situation from getting worse or to treat developing complications from the injury.

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Don't be misled into thinking that the term preventative surgery means "all is good."

It can indicate the need for treatment to prevent a bad situation from getting worse or to treat developing complications from the injury.
    No one is equating it "all is good." From what I've read, the issue is the spinal canal. Had it been impinged upon, the surgery would have been pretty immediate, but it wasn't. So, this was basically to fix broken bones around the spinal cord that could later become a problem. Any situation with broken bones (or misaligned, or whatever) is bad. So, yes, it stops a bad situation from possibly becoming worse, but the fact he had it now instead of immediately is also good news, all things considered.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

We just don't know enough yet to truly understand the depth or severity of the injury. The question is, has the spinal cord been compromised in any way?

If there has been damage to the spinal cord, then the surgery is to correct the structure around the spinal cord so that no further damage can be done and prepare him for rehabilitation and getting Ryan back to whatever level of health and function of his spine that is still possible.

If there has been no permanent damage to the spinal cord, the structure that encases and protects the spinal cord is being stabilized so that the integrity of that area is rebuilt and can heal. At that point, the healing will continue and Ryan should be able to recover fully.

Even if he fully recovers and the stabilization works, the integrity of the repaired area may not be strong enough to ever play again. The doctors will most likely recommend that he never play football again even if the strength of the repaired area returns to normal.

At that point it would be up to Ryan to decide what he wants to do with his life. Let's hope it gets to that point where he has those options. That's all anyone can ask for.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

There’s a lot of doctors on this board.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

ESPN story this morning provides this vague update

Steelers linebacker Ryan Shazier continues to show gradual improvement from his back injury, people familiar with his condition told ESPN.

Doctors are controlling and limiting his movement as they wait for the swelling and bruising in his back to subside, sources said.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nt-back-injury

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Putting this P-G story on other players (including Ben in 2008) who have sustained spinal concussions or contusions in the Ryan Shazier thread since it pertains more to his type of injury than tonight's game

Ravens and Steelers know all too well the sick feeling of frightening injuries

It was, essentially, a meaningless season-finale game against the Cleveland Browns, Dec. 28, 2008, a game that would not change the Steelers’ postseason position, no matter the outcome.

But, toward the end of the second quarter, it suddenly became meaningful to Roethlisberger.

Sandwiched on a pass play by two Browns defenders — linebackers Willie McGinest and D’Qwell Jackson — Roethlisberger was driven to the turf and never got up. His head struck the ground as McGinest drove him backward.
    Roethlisberger didn’t move for 15 minutes, unable to feel doctors using needles to prick his arm.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201712100100

I remember the Ben injury. My initial reaction was OMG he is paralyzed, how awful - but I admit my followup and secondary thought was "the Steelers Super Bowl chances are screwed"

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    There’s a lot of doctors on this board.
    No one has claimed to be a doctor, we are speculating, nothing more. It's just our way of coping with the loss of our star ILB. Why is that a problem for you?