Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Old Clutch Ben emerging?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Old Clutch Ben emerging?

I'm starting to see something in Ben (other than the interceptions)... the past few games he seems to have rediscovered that moxie at the end of games. I'm thinking that there's nothing more that's going to help our playoff run more than clutch Ben at the end of games. I really hadn't seen it since the loss to Green Bay in the Super Bowl.

Is anyone else getting this same feeling?

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Re: Old Clutch Ben emerging?

Yeah he's definitely upped his game, and seems to have that x-factor again. Honestly I wondered if the 2010 loss to the Packers took his soul, glad to see that's not the case.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but I thought he didn't have it anymore and should just hang it up????????

I've learned w/Ben is don't count the man out.

Just quickly off topic: Did anyone catch Ben holding AB's head and looking into his eyes after the Iloka hit?

That spoke volumes to me.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    B-b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but I thought he didn't have it anymore and should just hang it up????????

I've learned w/Ben is don't count the man out.

Just quickly off topic: Did anyone catch Ben holding AB's head and looking into his eyes after the Iloka hit?

That spoke volumes to me.
    To be honest, I'm not just comparing him to the early part of this season, but for the past 4-5 years. His clutchness seemed to disappear. It appears to be back.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    To be honest, I'm not just comparing him to the early part of this season, but for the past 4-5 years. His clutchness seemed to disappear. It appears to be back.
    Some of those games in the past few years were some that were not winnable. The defenses in those previous years got old and let teams get leads that were too big.

There may have been some that were winnable but I don't have the patience to go back and look through 5 years of games and figure out which ones were.

I get your point but I'm just saying Ben is a warrior and he plays pretty well when he is counted out.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

He better put the Ravens away by the 3rd quarter and reduce their playoff hopes.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    He better put the Ravens away by the 3rd quarter and reduce their playoff hopes.
    What if he waits till the fourth quarter?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Yes. He’s getting that swagger back...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Some of those games in the past few years were some that were not winnable. The defenses in those previous years got old and let teams get leads that were too big.

There may have been some that were winnable but I don't have the patience to go back and look through 5 years of games and figure out which ones were.

I get your point but I'm just saying Ben is a warrior and he plays pretty well when he is counted out.
    I can only speak for myself. Personally, I had lost that confidence that if the ball got back into #7's hands at the end of the game he'd pull it out. I'm regaining that feeling though. And I don't think it's my imagination. Something is different with Ben the past few weeks.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Remember the game against the Ravens in Christmas last year with the playoffs on the line....He was amazing in the 4th quarter.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

yup, im glad im not the only one who sensed it either. Ben has probably had his best stretch in his career (intangibles aside) after the Packers Superbowl, but for whatever reason the comeback magic just didnt seem to be there like the younger Ben (who inversely wasnt quite as refined and cerebral as the newer reiterations of Ben).

Now it seems like Ben is past his prime in some capacity, but still pretty good, but with the intangibles coming back to him. I think this version of Ben would have found a way to beat the Ravens in the 2014 playoffs and the Broncos in the 2015 playoffs
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

This is the Ben that beats the Patriots when it matters... in January.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I never gave up on Ben. Like Tube said, he's a warrior.

There is one thing in which I have no doubt... This team is going to go out there and do their damn best for Ryan. It's on like Donkey Kong!

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

[QUOTE=Lady Steel;621429]I never gave up on Ben. Like Tube said, he's a warrior.

There is one thing in which I have no doubt... This team is going to go out there and do their damn best for Ryan. It's on like Donkey Kong!

I can't agree more with you Lady Steel ! I think the Steeler's play EVERY GAME from here to the end for their Brother Ryan. You know he's weighing heavy on their mind and in their hearts.....as he is in all of us. I think you'll see a difference in their hearts and play throughout. Games on !

Senior Member Array title="Bluecoat96 has a reputation beyond repute"> Bluecoat96's Avatar

The one and only thing that I'd like to see from Ben is a stricter off season workout regimen. Maybe he's too dinged up, maybe he is working out. I don't know. I just feel like he uses training camp and the early season to get in shape. I could be talking out of my ass, but I look at guys like Brees and gaydy Brady. Hell...even favre towards the end of his career seemed to really step up the workout routine. Just my two cents.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk
    http://pic70.picturetrail.com/VOL1850/7714131/15251346/321617073.jpg

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Still with the game on the line in the fourth quarter there is no other QB I would rather have then Ben.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Even on that final drive of XLV, I was certain that BB would get it done, just like he had done against Green Bay the season prior.

Then... nothing.

I hadn’t felt this confident in BB since then, and I might be slightly more confident now than I was a decade ago.

Ben. Is. Money.
    (And, he has Boswell as the ace up his sleeve.)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Even on that final drive of XLV, I was certain that BB would get it done, just like he had done against Green Bay the season prior.

Then... nothing.

I hadn’t felt this confident in BB since then, and I might be slightly more confident now than I was a decade ago.

Ben. Is. Money.
    That captures my feeling exactly!

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Something really is different about Ben this year. 2017 definitely isn't Ben's most refined or finest statistical season for sure, that abortion against Jacksonville being a major standout, but he has that 2004-11 swagger back. The unrefined, gutsy, but clutch style.

Another thing I've noticed in previous years where Ben would light it up early on in the season, then taper off. This year he started slow but is heating up in December.

This team in general has a certain feel about them, that they're never out of a game and will find ways to win. The 2014-2016 teams (especially 2014 and 2016) were the epitome of schizophrenic. If things were on, they were unstoppable, but if they were off in any aspect, they would lose. The 2014-16 teams most likely would've lost to the Colts and Packers.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Something really is different about Ben this year. 2017 definitely isn't Ben's most refined or finest statistical season for sure, that abortion against Jacksonville being a major standout, but he has that 2004-11 swagger back. The unrefined, gutsy, but clutch style.

Another thing I've noticed in previous years where Ben would light it up early on in the season, then taper off. This year he started slow but is heating up in December.
    Ben had said early in the season that one of his goals was to be great late in the season

506 yards and clutch drive at the end!

Also 0 interception on 66 pass attempts!

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

I believed, Ben, I believed. Hugs and kisses.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Then... nothing.

Ben. Is. Money.
    That is EXACTLY how I feel right now.

Ben should file retirement papers tomorrow.

Ben should file retirement papers tomorrow.
    Yeah, really. All the people making believe they've been supportive of Ben all along must have forgotten to take their meds today.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Ben was running the show big time tonight. On fire...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

This is arguably the deadliest Ben yet. Combines the proficiency and cerebral play of him in 2014 with the killer instinct of Ben from 2004-2008.

He's definitely nowhere near as good at scrambling as he used to be and some of the physical skills are diminishing but all things considered, if im a DC i would hate to play Ben now more than ever
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Wow!

Senior Member Array title="j-d-s is a jewel in the rough">

Well, considering he now has the best WR and the best RB and a Top O-Line (plus the Reincarnation of Hines Ward, JuJu)... I'm fine with Ben not scrambling like he used to. We also need to remember that when Ben scrambled more he also was injured frequently (he only had three 16-game seasons in his career, this - hopefully - will be the 4th... well, except if we clinched the No.1 seed so he sits against the Browns).