Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old Clutch Ben emerging?

Re: Old Clutch Ben emerging?

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    Yeah, really. All the people making believe they've been supportive of Ben all along must have forgotten to take their meds today.
    Yep, because Ben has been absolutely brilliant all season, right?

It's okay to criticize. It doesn't mean you don't still support your team or the guy. The world isn't black and white. In the first half of the season, Ben pretty much sucked. He was in the bottom third of QBs according to several different metrics. Trying to paint that as anything but what it was . . . bad, is ludicrous. In the second half, he's been stellar. Although someone might be concerned he is doing this at home and not on the road, he's led two fourth quarter comebacks for a win on the road in the last four weeks (maybe three, I don't remember the Lions game). It's a tale of two halfs of the year. Prebye Ben and postbye Ben. Thank God we get potsbye Ben back.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Game manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    This is arguably the deadliest Ben yet. Combines the proficiency and cerebral play of him in 2014 with the killer instinct of Ben from 2004-2008.

He's definitely nowhere near as good at scrambling as he used to be and some of the physical skills are diminishing but all things considered, if im a DC i would hate to play Ben now more than ever
    Yeah, I really don't know what happened. But this is not the same Ben that started the season. This Ben is capable of putting the entire team on his back and carrying them into the SB.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

It's okay to criticize. It doesn't mean you don't still support your team or the guy. The world isn't black and white. In the first half of the season, Ben pretty much sucked. He was in the bottom third of QBs according to several different metrics. Trying to paint that as anything but what it was . . . bad, is ludicrous. In the second half, he's been stellar. Although someone might be concerned he is doing this at home and not on the road, he's led two fourth quarter comebacks for a win on the road in the last four weeks (maybe three, I don't remember the Lions game). It's a tale of two halfs of the year. Prebye Ben and postbye Ben. Thank God we get potsbye Ben back.
    I'm glad he came out of retirement for the second half of the year.

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

There's your guilt coming out again. Keep on trying to explain yourself. You've lost all credibility with me. When I see your posts, you "sound" like Charlie Brown's teacher.

I know you don't care. Neither do I, and you know why. I know a priest who will hear your confession if you would like me to make an appointment for you to confess your guilt. If not, bye!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Ben's been on fire this past month

Senior Member Array title="dislocatedday has a reputation beyond repute"> dislocatedday's Avatar

Ben now leads the NFL in passing yards this season. Tonight's game puts him on top.

I don't care about the stats, but for those that wonder how this team is 11-2 just go look at the leaders in each of the NFL yardage categories for passing, rushing, and receiving. The Killer B's are special, and they (along with Boz making game winning FGs) are the primary reason this team is 11-2. It's not that they have played weak teams and QBs........but for all the faults that can be found with this squad, they are mentally tough and they have some truly special players that get the job done in crunch time.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dislocatedday View Post
    Ben now leads the NFL in passing yards this season. Tonight's game puts him on top.

I don't care about the stats, but for those that wonder how this team is 11-2 just go look at the leaders in each of the NFL yardage categories for passing, rushing, and receiving. The Killer B's are special, and they (along with Boz making game winning FGs) are the primary reason this team is 11-2. It's not that they have played weak teams and QBs........but for all the faults that can be found with this squad, they are mentally tough and they have some truly special players that get the job done in crunch time.
    WINNER!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Steel View Post
    There's your guilt coming out again. Keep on trying to explain yourself. You've lost all credibility with me. When I see your posts, you "sound" like Charlie Brown's teacher.

I know you don't care. Neither do I, and you know why. I know a priest who will hear your confession if you would like me to make an appointment for you to confess your guilt. If not, bye!
    LMAO.

Okay.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Ben's been on fire this past month
    Absolutely. But, Shhh. You might offend some people by not admitting he's been the bestest ever.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Interesting also Roethlisberger has tried at least 40 pass in every game in the last 4 games and steelers have won its 4 games!

Who said Roethlisberger could not win by attempting 40 passes per game (or 66 like yesterday!)

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Interesting also Roethlisberger has tried at least 40 pass in every game in the last 4 games and steelers have won its 4 games!

Who said Roethlisberger could not win by attempting 40 passes per game (or 66 like yesterday!)
    When he had that bad outing against the Jags, I suggested that the Steelers should only throw the ball about 24-30 times a game. I'm glad I was wrong about that!! Ben is on freaking fire, bring on the Pats!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Ben needs to have the offense running through him. The Steelers changed last year to run the offense through Bell. When that happens, Ben just doesn't play as well. He's not a game manager. Early this season it was the same thing, offense running through Bell. Now it's back to Ben running the show and he's playing great. It needs to stay this way.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

I figured it would take Ben about half the season to warm up. He has taken a beating over the years and I think his retirement talk had more to do with the daily aches and pains than it did about his desire to play. He still has the desire, but damn, it might be a drag for him sometimes to just get out of bed. For how big he is, the defenders just hit him that much harder to try to get him down.

He seems to be able to make all his throws now without much issue, where as the first few weeks, well......yikes.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Ben now leading the league in passing yards (3744) to join Bell leading the league in rushing yards (1105) and AB leading the league in receiving yards (1509), although Brady should regain the lead tonight

http://www.nfl.com/stats/player?seas...=REG&Submit=Go

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Once the offense rediscovered the middle of the field and stopped insisting that there were only three plays in the game (go route on the sideline, run up the middle, or an out route to AB), "magically" Ben looked far far better.

Either Haley, Ben, or both finally decided to take what defenses were giving until they changed and THEN take their shots. Not the other way around.

Seems to have worked.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    To be honest, I'm not just comparing him to the early part of this season, but for the past 4-5 years. His clutchness seemed to disappear. It appears to be back.
    Agreed.

The urgency, intensity and focus is back.

And I think being being beaten by the Patriots, may be a positive as Ben thrives as the underdog.

Ben. Is. Hungry. Again.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Junior Member Array title="Mamaduck43 has a brilliant future">

It has been fun watching Ben "grow up" from a wet behind the ears but very talented QB. to the field manager that he is now.... But I sat yesterday afternoon tearing up a bit, because I see the same fire and drive that Ben showed when be begged Bettis to hang in there one more year for him.... When I was coaching swim teams, I used to sometimes say, "Win or lose, we still stop for Pizza", but I think that this is going to be Ben's last season - - and I so want it to be with another ring.... This scares the hell out of me, because unless we pull a miracle in the draft, this might be my last SB, too....... Damn bucket lists!!!!!

Anyway, I have faith - - I do believe, and I seriously believe that we have found the magic combination that will open the trophy case for
    #7 - - - and this one is Ben's....... His fire is back - - - - Let's do this.....

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    Agreed.

The urgency, intensity and focus is back.

And I think being being beaten by the Patriots, may be a positive as Ben thrives as the underdog.

Ben. Is. Hungry. Again.
    I've had the same feeling about that epic fail last week. It's gonna be fuel to the fire for a championship run. Give him AB back and watch out!