Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ryan Shazier returns to Pittsburgh

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Ryan Shazier returns to Pittsburgh

Linebacker Ryan Shazier has been released from a Cincinnati hospital and has returned to Pittsburgh, the Steelers announced Wednesday.

Shazier, who was being treated at the University of Cincinnati Medical Center since being injured in the first quarter Monday night, will receive medical attention here at UPMC and “continue tests and evaluations before his medical team provides any further updates on his condition,” the statement said...........

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...ource=Facebook

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Re: Ryan Shazier returns to Pittsburgh

Great News!!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Thank you, God.

Senior Member Array title="stillers4me has a reputation beyond repute"> stillers4me's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Great news and yes thank the Lord!

Ravens Fan Extraordinaire Array title="Crow-Magnon has a reputation beyond repute"> Crow-Magnon's Avatar

That is very good to hear!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Definitely good news.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Glad to hear it!! Hopefully good news continues to follow!!

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Great news....still praying for a full recovery.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

What does this move say between the lines? It sounds good but what does it reveal about his condition?

- - - Updated - - -

There are four potential outcomes and I am praying for the first three in that order. Number one he will play again this year. Number two he will play again but not this year. Number three he will never play again but will lead a normal life. And worst of all, he will never play again and will have a debilitating injury.

Number one is like winning the lottery. But numbers two and three are good also.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

heres some more information on the supposed nature of Shazier's injury: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...never-heard-of

The issue of repeat episodes of CCN seems to be key, as about half of all football players who suffer an episode of CCN who return to play will experience a second episode. The risk of a repeat episode is directly related to the diameter of a player’s cervical spinal canal, or the tube formed by the vertebrae in which the spinal cord and its membranes are located in the upper (neck) part of the spine.

“The smaller the spinal canal, the higher the risk of repeat CCN,” says Dr. Bell.

I hope Ryan has a giant spinal canal
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Wish we got more updates on his health. Going on 48 hours since the injury, I hope he's making major progress.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    heres some more information on the supposed nature of Shazier's injury: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2...never-heard-of

The issue of repeat episodes of CCN seems to be key, as about half of all football players who suffer an episode of CCN who return to play will experience a second episode. The risk of a repeat episode is directly related to the diameter of a player’s cervical spinal canal, or the tube formed by the vertebrae in which the spinal cord and its membranes are located in the upper (neck) part of the spine.

“The smaller the spinal canal, the higher the risk of repeat CCN,” says Dr. Bell.

I hope Ryan has a giant spinal canal
    That’s pertinent IF it was a concussion and not a contusion or something else.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

Man... I keep refreshibg my sports updates hoping a picture of Shazier walking again.

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    Man... I keep refreshibg my sports updates hoping a picture of Shazier walking again.
    Not to be doom and gloom but I don't see it as a good sign how little information is coming out..
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG ¤-

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Not to be doom and gloom but I don't see it as a good sign how little information is coming out..
    I also don't see it as great news that he was brought back to Pittsburgh via medevac.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Great NEWS ! So glad to hear that he's back in the 'bugh. Hopefully his recovery is a steady flow now that he's amongst all of his family and friends. To answer the comment on Ryan being transported back to Pittsburgh via medivac, I would think that air-care would be the wisest way to transport him. You figure he would be with constant medical care while in the air, he would be back in Pittsburgh from cincy in a matter of hour or so ( compared to 5-6 hrs trip). plus by air you wouldn't have to worry about bumpy ride, traffic jam, pot holes, and all the great things that come with being in a car on the highways.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Great NEWS ! So glad to hear that he's back in the 'bugh. Hopefully his recovery is a steady flow now that he's amongst all of his family and friends. To answer the comment on Ryan being transported back to Pittsburgh via medivac, I would think that air-care would be the wisest way to transport him. You figure he would be with constant medical care while in the air, he would be back in Pittsburgh from cincy in a matter of hour or so ( compared to 5-6 hrs trip). plus by air you wouldn't have to worry about bumpy ride, traffic jam, pot holes, and all the great things that come with being in a car on the highways.
    I was thinking the same thing. He can get from hospital to hospital in a shot period of time without being jostled.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    I also don't see it as great news that he was brought back to Pittsburgh via medevac.
    Since he is still receiving medical care and fortunately has the insurance coverage better than a long ambulance ride for reasons posted above

But FWIW this does not have the same recovery time line as the 2002 Tommy Maddox injury

This was the Tuesday story after Maddox was temporarily paralyzed in a Sunday game in Nashville

Maddox, who temporarily lost consciousness and was unable to feel or move his limbs after being tackled during Sunday's game against the Tennessee Titans, had a headache but was walking without assistance at Baptist Hospital in Nashville yesterday morning. He returned to Pittsburgh yesterday.

http://old.post-gazette.com/steelers...ommy1119p1.asp

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    Same here. I hope I'm wrong, but I think we're looking at a man who's challenge will be to regain the ability to walk eventually. I'm no doctor but you would think they would be reporting greater progress by now if we were looking at him in the sense of being a football player again.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I know the Tommy Maddox injury keeps coming up as a comparison to the prognosis, but they were much different collision impacts, imo.

So, I'm just hoping for the best as far as him walking again pain free. Football shouldn't be in the conversation at this point... and that may be indeed why we haven't been hearing anything new except for "more tests".

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Updates on Shazier will come later today per Bouchette

Per Ed: "Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery"

Anyone know what that does?

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Per Ed: "Ryan Shazier has spinal stabilization surgery"

Anyone know what that does?
    Sounds like fusing vertebrae...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Senior Member Array title="Fire Goodell has a reputation beyond repute"> Fire Goodell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    Sounds like fusing vertebrae...
    If that's the case, I think his playing days may be over. I hope I'm wrong about that, but honestly I'm more concerned about his well being.

Quote Originally Posted by Fire Goodell View Post
    If that's the case, I think his playing days may be over. I hope I'm wrong about that, but honestly I'm more concerned about his well being.
    Just ventured a guess, but "fusing" may be incorrect as that usually includes removing the disc. I'm sure it does include screws/plates and or flexible, connective rods. Either way, you could be right.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

So the news isn’t great...sounds more scary than anything...

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I just want him to be able to lead a normal healthy life. I really could not care less if he plays again right now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I just want him to be able to lead a normal healthy life. I really could not care less if he plays again right now.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk
    Same. I think his playing days might be over. That surgery doesn’t sound like something “fun” or minor...