Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The NFL is strongly weighing a one-game suspension for Steelers WR Juju Smith-Schuster...

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Re: The NFL is strongly weighing a one-game suspension for Steelers WR Juju Smith-Schuster...

It was the taunting over an injured player. JuJu will learn his lesson. Least of our worries coming out of that game.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Re: The NFL is strongly weighing a one-game suspension for Steelers WR Juju Smith-Schuster...

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    You said that he wasn't going to win. Previous appeals have often been won by the player due to prior precedent. If the same play has been punished a specific way repeatedly in the past, the NFL can't just all of the sudden change the punishment. If I were JuJu, I'd appeal the shit out of this and take it as far up as it can go.
    Ahhh, an Ezekiel Elliott defense strategy... it will eventually run it's course. Rather have him out now than a potential playoff game.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

How can it be both, if it's neither? The 'crackback block' on Burfict is not an infraction worthy of a suspension, but the taunting is? Then why does the suspension fall under the heading, "Safety violation". Taunting is not a safety violation, and a crack back block doesn't get a suspension. The more this doesn't make logical sense, the more it sounds like something the NFL would do. *Shrug* It is indeed the end of days.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It was the taunting over an injured player. JuJu will learn his lesson. Least of our worries coming out of that game.
    Like this? Famous photograph of Eagle LB Chuck Bednarik after he knocked out Frank Gifford

What was once celebrated is now sanctioned - times obviously have changed but the NFL always being in PR mode can cause overreactions

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

When you have stupid rules enforced by stupid people, you tend to get a stupid result. This is merely Exhibit A.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

I agree with all here....it's BS ! And I'm sure also that the puss Gruden drew attention to it while under the Commish breakfast table. But I somehow got the feeling that a few of the other player's may kick in to the penalty bucket and help JuJu in his learning process. Right now my thoughts/prayers are with Ryan and feel lucky that the game wasn't more disastrous to some of our other player's. JuJu .....appeal, learn from it and move on and see how it play's out.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Like this? Famous photograph of Eagle LB Chuck Bednarik after he knocked out Frank Gifford

What was once celebrated is now sanctioned - times obviously have changed but the NFL always being in PR mode can cause overreactions
    Such a historic photo of the NFL.

When Frank got busted for cheating with a stewardess, I always thought that Kathie Lee had that as her screensaver.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

While Burfict was laying on the ground, JuJu should have dove at Burfict’s head... it would have only cost him one game (you know, the same as he already got).

Senior Member Array title="Steeltreal will become famous soon enough"> Steeltreal's Avatar

It's only a matter of time , the refs will start calling Juju and AB clever TD Celebrations "Taunting"
    "It comes with the Territory" - Floyd 'Money' Mayweather

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    You said that he wasn't going to win. Previous appeals have often been won by the player due to prior precedent. If the same play has been punished a specific way repeatedly in the past, the NFL can't just all of the sudden change the punishment. If I were JuJu, I'd appeal the shit out of this and take it as far up as it can go.
    He isn't going to win the NFL has already called it a safety violation.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    When you have stupid rules enforced by stupid people, you tend to get a stupid result. This is merely Exhibit A.
    I would say we are up to about Exhibit ZZZ. The NFL has ZERO ​integrity. Consistently inconsistent.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Suspensions come quickly for Steelers and Bengals

Posted by Darin Gantt on December 5, 2017

That didn’t take long.

The NFL just announced one-game suspensions for Steelers wide receiver JuJu Smith-Schuster and Bengals safety George Iloka, after last night’s over-the-line hits.

Both were flagged last night for helmet-to-helmet hits, Smith-Schuster for dropping Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict and Iloka for hitting Steelers wideout Antonio Brown in the end zone.

They can appeal within the next three days, and those will be heard by Derrick Brooks or James Thrash.

While those suspensions are clearly justified, they were at least organic, unlike Patriots tight end Rob Gronkowski‘s sneak attack, which also drew a one-game ban.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-and-bengals/

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

This should have been a fine.

To make this a suspension, and to make this the same punishment as Gronk got for his attack on a player to the head and neck after the play was over for 5 seconds is ridiculous.

The NFL keeps stepping on their dicks every single time they hand out punishment.

The same for Iloka's. Both plays were in the act of playing the game. Gronk's was a premeditated attack out of bounds to a defenseless man that was face down on the ground not moving.

And then the NFL wonders why people are getting sick of their bullshit, and question everything they do and the motivations behind them.

Total nonsense and inconsistency in the way they punish players. Burfict has committed so many illegal hits and dirty plays that weren't called, it's too hard to count them all, yet he avoids suspensions for his dirty play......while first time offenders on hits that happened during actual football plays get suspended.

Way to go NFL. You are now saying that taunting and a hit to the head defending a pass are exactly the same as trying to break the neck of or crack the skull of a defenseless player that is face down on the field giving himself up and not moving 5 seconds after the play is over.

Assholes....

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    It was the taunting over an injured player. JuJu will learn his lesson
    Mike Tomlin: JuJu's taunting more disturbing than hit

By Kevin Patra
    Around the NFL writer
    Published: Dec. 5, 2017

Pittsburgh Steelers rookie JuJu Smith-Schuster earned a flag for a brutal crackback block that knocked Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Vontaze Burfict out of Monday night's game. The receiver earned another penalty for taunting after standing over the defender.

The league suspended Smith-Schuster one game Tuesday without pay for violating safety-related playing rules.

Prior to the one-game suspension being announced, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said he took more issue with the taunting than the hit.

"I haven't had an opportunity to see the television copy often times particularly in HD -- that provides the best case scenario," Tomlin told reporters. "I'll stand by my statement last night that his actions after the hit are more disturbing than the hit itself. Often times plays like that are teachable moments. When you look at it you have an opportunity to talk about ways you can be safer and so forth. He is a better sportsman than he displayed after the block and you got to acknowledge that. He's got to work hard so people understand the type of man he is from a sportsmanship standpoint and that's not something that's going to happen overnight. That's just the reality of plays like that."

Smith-Schuster apologized after the game for the block and standing over Burfict.

to read rest of article:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap300...rbing-than-hit

Senior Member Array title="Neversatisfied has a spectacular aura about">

I'm fine with Juju being suspended. When you stand over a person and taunt them after injuring them it sends the wrong message to everyone watching and that includes young kids (these players are their idols). Jujus' behavior was unacceptable and he deserves the punishment, he'll think twice before acting like a thug on national television.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

They didn't throw forward passes either. In 1905 it was reported that 18 people died and over 150 were seriously injured playing football. In response to serious outside pressure, the rules were changed and regulation was implemented. I'm sure people hated that too.

I don't know how anyone, Steelers fan or not, saw Juju's hit and subsequent taunting last night - in the same game that a player suffered a serious spinal injury and another a significant concussion - and is surprised to hear that Juju was suspended.

Sure Cincy's medical staff played up the situation a bit. I think in almost any other game Burfect walks off under his own power, just as he was insisting he be allowed to do. Sure, until very very recently Juju's hit was totally legal and arguably may have not been consistently flagged even in the 2017 version of the NFL -- but in what has become one of the most violent and borderline dirty rivalries in the league, no one can be surprised that the NFL suspended a player for seemingly knocking a guy out and standing over him and hollering about it.

Tomlin, Juju, fans, and other players need to understand that is a penalty, a fine, and in a nationally televised prime-time game a likely path to suspension every single time. No one has to like it or even agree with it, but I am totally left dumbfounded that anyone is surprised at this.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    They didn't throw forward passes either. In 1905 it was reported that 18 people died and over 150 were seriously injured playing football. In response to serious outside pressure, the rules were changed and regulation was implemented. I'm sure people hated that too.

I don't know how anyone, Steelers fan or not, saw Juju's hit and subsequent taunting last night - in the same game that a player suffered a serious spinal injury and another a significant concussion - and is surprised to hear that Juju was suspended.

Sure Cincy's medical staff played up the situation a bit. I think in almost any other game Burfect walks off under his own power, just as he was insisting he be allowed to do. Sure, until very very recently Juju's hit was totally legal and arguably may have not been consistently flagged even in the 2017 version of the NFL -- but in what has become one of the most violent and borderline dirty rivalries in the league, no one can be surprised that the NFL suspended a player for seemingly knocking a guy out and standing over him and hollering about it.

Tomlin, Juju, fans, and other players need to understand that is a penalty, a fine, and in a nationally televised prime-time game a likely path to suspension every single time. No one has to like it or even agree with it, but I am totally left dumbfounded that anyone is surprised at this.
    Wow! An actual non-homer observation! I wasn't sure those existed here.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post

To make this a suspension, and to make this the same punishment as Gronk got for his attack on a player to the head and neck after the play was over for 5 seconds is ridiculous.

The NFL keeps stepping on their dicks every single time they hand out punishment.

The same for Iloka's. Both plays were in the act of playing the game. Gronk's was a premeditated attack out of bounds to a defenseless man that was face down on the ground not moving.

And then the NFL wonders why people are getting sick of their bullshit, and question everything they do and the motivations behind them.

Total nonsense and inconsistency in the way they punish players. Burfict has committed so many illegal hits and dirty plays that weren't called, it's too hard to count them all, yet he avoids suspensions for his dirty play......while first time offenders on hits that happened during actual football plays get suspended.

Way to go NFL. You are now saying that taunting and a hit to the head defending a pass are exactly the same as trying to break the neck of or crack the skull of a defenseless player that is face down on the field giving himself up and not moving 5 seconds after the play is over.

Assholes....
    It was a nationally televised prime-time game. That's all anyone needs to know. The majority of Burfict's dirty plays have been "hidden" in the weekly cycle of games. While we, as fans, may strongly disagree with it - the NFL is drawing an equivalency between blocks like Juju's, hits like Illoka's, and dirty play like Gronk's. They have been for a handful of seasons now. In a very real sense, the NFL is legislating the ends not the means. In fact, it increasingly appears that the means are secondary to the end result.

Hit a guy in the head and/or cause a brain injury and you're going to sit for awhile. Unless you knock out a RB -- it is still okay to level those guys!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

The posing, or taunting, or standing over Burfict was too much and the hit was helmet to helmet, despite JuJu leading with the shoulder. So if he makes contact 6 inches lower and doesn't stand over Burfict, he could likely be playing next week.

The crazy thing is that he and Iloka get a game for their actions and Gronk gets the same for hitting a defenseless player, after the play, out of bounds in the back of the head. If JuJu and Iloka get 1 game, then Gronk should get 3 games. NFL is a joke.

I do agree with others that if that hit was made 10 years ago, its just a taunting call and no suspension, so I personally don't get too riled up about the action, because its just playing hard football.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

My point in my post above is that if they are going to suspend JuJu for what he did, Gronk should have received a much more severe punishment as the offense was far worse IMO. I also think that consistency in punishment to fit the crime needs to be fixed now.

Gronk's hit and punishment didn't happen three months ago. It literally just happened. To punish JuJu and Iloka exactly the same as Gronk is irresponsible at best if they are truly trying to eradicate illegal hits.

The parameters they have just set is that you are going to get a one-game suspension for anything between taunting and attempted murder while still in pads. I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I think you get the idea.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

My point in my post above is that if they are going to suspend JuJu for what he did, Gronk should have received a much more severe punishment as the offense was far worse IMO. I also think that consistency in punishment to fit the crime needs to be fixed now.

Gronk's hit and punishment didn't happen three months ago. It literally just happened. To punish JuJu and Iloka exactly the same as Gronk is irresponsible at best if they are truly trying to eradicate illegal hits.

The parameters they have just set is that you are going to get a one-game suspension for anything between taunting and attempted murder while still in pads. I'm being a bit sarcastic, but I think you get the idea.
    I agree Gronks was worse, it was premeditated. Ju Ju's was close to a clean play and would have been just a fine had he not taunted, IMHO. With that said I have zero problem with one game suspension, I think it was worth it. Gronks should have been 2 but he has no history so maybe they were a little soft. Not to mention he is a Patriot. Ju Ju's hit was a good investment, Im sure most non Bengal fans and players were smiling a little once they new he wasn't dead.

I totally agree. But what I am arguing for is that the players and coaches need to adapt to the realities of the situation - however flawed and ridiculous they may be.

Actions in prime-time games are different than other games in terms of consequences.
    The NFL is legislating the result not the process.
    Much of this is in response to optics and public perception. Levelling a guy in a game where someone may have just been paralyzed AFTER the Gronk murder attempt was shown in highlight reels all afternoon is going to draw a severe consequence.

While we and the players (mike mitchell clearly does) may find this stupid and rage inducing -- it really isn't hard to predict and should not be seen as a constant surprise. Failure to recognize that by the Steelers or any other team is just as annoying to me as the results from the league office.

Total nonsense and inconsistency in the way they punish players. ...first time offenders on hits that happened during actual football plays get suspended.

THIS.

Let me begin by stating that suspending either player is stupidity. Suspending them equally when Ju-Ju violated two rules rather than one is just as stupid—or at least include fine amounts that are higher for Ju-Ju's two violations to Iloka's one.

However, the major issue in both situations happened WITHIN the play and as part of the play. There was no seeking someone out and making nonfootball contact. If they are suspended one game, Gronk should be suspended three games.

Here's the other issue, however. Had Ju-Ju not been suspended, Iloka wouldn't have been suspended for that hit, and vice-versa. However, because both occurred, they were both suspended and the NFL gets to avoid accusations of favoritism while looking like they're trying to do something.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

If you check the Gronkowski thread you will see I predicted JuJu would be suspended before it was announced. I stand by my position it is a PR move given that Gronkowski committed a far more serious violation on the same weekend and only received a one game suspension. I assume you agree the Gronkowski conduct was more egregious.

As far as it being a likely path to suspension every time, in watching the condensed replay of the game Gruden said "that's a fine" when Brown took the helmet to helmet hit in the end zone for which a one game suspension also was issued. So it may be a surprise to Gruden.

As far as the game evolving, I agree and said so. My point was the NFL glorified the violent hits for a long time (certainly as recently as the run up to the Ravens-Steelers 2008 season AFC championship game) that arguably were a major factor in the NFL surpassing baseball in popularity.

In now attempting to keep the game from turning into a sport with the diminished popularity of boxing due to CTE concerns it covered up for decades the league often takes actions that in large part are driven by PR concerns rather than anything approaching a consistent disciplinary process.

If you check the Gronkowski thread you will see I predicted JuJu would be suspended before it was announced. I stand by my position it is a PR move given that Gronkowski committed a far more serious violation on the same weekend and only received a one game suspension. I assume you agree the Gronkowski conduct was more egregious.

As far as it being a likely path to suspension every time, in watching the condensed replay of the game Gruden said "that's a fine" when Brown took the helmet to helmet hit in the end zone for which a one game suspension also was issued. So it may be a surprise to Gruden.

As far as the game evolving, I agree and said so. My point was the NFL glorified the violent hits for a long time (certainly as recently as the run up to the Ravens-Steelers 2008 season AFC championship game) and in now attempting to keep the game from turning into a sport with the diminished popularity of boxing due to CTE concerns it covered up for decades often takes actions that in large part are driven by PR concerns.
    Agree with all of that. I just don't think that any of this should be surprising. It is shockingly easy to predict if you just ask yourself 2 questions:

1. What will be the majority social media commentary on a play or hit?
    2. If it is negative, how big of fine and/or suspension will the NFL hand out so that it can change the narrative as quickly as possible.

Gronk, Juju and Illoka's hits were all clearly going to be hefty fines and suspensions to me right after they happened. I think it sucks and I don't agree with it, but I am not surprised.

In now attempting to keep the game from turning into a sport with the diminished popularity of boxing due to CTE concerns it covered up for decades the league often takes actions that in large part are driven by PR concerns rather than anything approaching a consistent disciplinary process.

The only problem with the boxing analogy is that boxing's diminished popularity has nothing to do with CTE concerns. MMA is even more brutal in some ways and has exploded in popularity to pick up the fans that left boxing.

Boxing has lost popularity because fans have lost confidence that they are seeing a real sport. The very best fighters rarely fight each other. Every aspect of the sport is orchestrated and controlled by promoters and multiple boxing organizations instead of having one body to oversee everything and operate fairly. Judges make terrible decisions, and it is obvious that many decisions are rigged and the outcome of fights are predetermined to make more money the next time....not have the better man win. The have angered the longtime boxing fans by putting a shitty product out there to consume, and questioning the legitimacy of the outcomes has put the sport a hop, skip, and a jump from professional wrestling.

I contend that the NFL is closer to being on the path that boxing followed even though that is not their intent. The inconsistencies in punishments, rule changes, perceived favoritism of teams, the botched issues like kneeling for the National Anthem, as well as the complete whiff on issues like domestic abuse has made the NFL look like a dysfunctional entity where chaos reigns. Now, after years of stopping any connection to gambling, they are putting a team in Las Vegas where everyone knows it is strictly about the money as they are demanding a cut of the action, and the fear of fixing games has moved to the front of many people's minds.

I think the NFL is in a very precarious position right now if they don't clean some things up fairly soon.

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

It's really, really tough to have any sympathy for Burfict.

But Gronk should have gotten a much longer suspension, and everyone knew that before this happened. I think JuJu deserves the 1 game suspension, and the fine. However given that Burfict has injured so many Steelers, and clearly deliberately so, what the heck did the league expect? Paddycakes?

Gronk should have gotten 4, JuJu 1 + big fine (for the taunting). And Burfict should have been ejected repeatedly from games, if not the league for past behavior. But the NFL has its head squarely up its ass, and can't figure out which side will make them more money to come down on, so they wiff on the subject no matter what angle you look at it.

Burfict is lucky that a LOT of teams haven't gone after him. The league is not making the game safer, or better. Giving Iloka the 1 game suspension is also....too little, too late.

End of the day I used to like watching football. These days I only watch the Steelers, because Pittsburgh is just awesome. But the NFL is trying very, very hard to get me to reevaluate what I do with my time.

Dissolv

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    How can it be both, if it's neither? The 'crackback block' on Burfict is not an infraction worthy of a suspension, but the taunting is? Then why does the suspension fall under the heading, "Safety violation". Taunting is not a safety violation, and a crack back block doesn't get a suspension. The more this doesn't make logical sense, the more it sounds like something the NFL would do. *Shrug* It is indeed the end of days.
    Exactly. The whole damn thing is complete b.s. They're only suspending him because f'ing Gruden made such a big deal out of it.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    It's really, really tough to have any sympathy for Burfict.

But Gronk should have gotten a much longer suspension, and everyone knew that before this happened. I think JuJu deserves the 1 game suspension, and the fine. However given that Burfict has injured so many Steelers, and clearly deliberately so, what the heck did the league expect? Paddycakes?

Gronk should have gotten 4, JuJu 1 + big fine (for the taunting). And Burfict should have been ejected repeatedly from games, if not the league for past behavior. But the NFL has its head squarely up its ass, and can't figure out which side will make them more money to come down on, so they wiff on the subject no matter what angle you look at it.

Burfict is lucky that a LOT of teams haven't gone after him. The league is not making the game safer, or better. Giving Iloka the 1 game suspension is also....too little, too late.

End of the day I used to like watching football. These days I only watch the Steelers, because Pittsburgh is just awesome. But the NFL is trying very, very hard to get me to reevaluate what I do with my time.

Dissolv
    Gronk didn't deserve 4 games! Gimme a break! Two maybe, but 4? C'mon.

Senior Member Array title="RunNGun has a reputation beyond repute"> RunNGun's Avatar

I'm not going to lie. I loved the hit and the reaction from Juju. Message was sent. Burfict is hands down, the dirtiest p.o.s. in the league. He been had it coming. Juju almost knocked his head off his neck. You can't help but love this kid's heart and passion. Karma is a b****. One game suspension well deserved Juju!