Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do the Steelers do at LB'er?

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

What do the Steelers do at LB'er?

Praying all goes well for Shazier health. But if Ryan and Red are out for sometime what do the Steelers do? Any players available on the street?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: What do the Steelers do at LB'er?

Deebo gets on last ride at OLB and I get Watt ready at ILB if I am in charge of the team.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Not sure how accurate this list is:

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Deebo gets on last ride at OLB and I get Watt ready at ILB if I am in charge of the team.
    This. It's Deebo time, definitely.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

That may be a good idea.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Sean Spence jumps off that list because he has the best chance of "getting on the moving train" due to familiarity with the defense.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Is McClain suspended?

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

McClain, isn't he in jail for something?

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    McClain, isn't he in jail for something?
    He might be...lol.

Super Moderator and Lone hawks fan Array title="Devilsdancefloor has a reputation beyond repute"> Devilsdancefloor's Avatar

lj fort did a decent job, but i did see Watt lined up there as well. to bad steven johnson is a ratbird now

For those i love i will sacrifice.

Si ventus non est, remiga

Quote Originally Posted by Devilsdancefloor View Post
    lj fort did a decent job, but i did see Watt lined up there as well. to bad steven johnson is a ratbird now
    There was a lot of confusion when he (LJ Fort) was on the field, that isn't going to fly.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Red looked terrible when he was out there. I like the moving TJ idea.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Even when everyone was healthy, moving Watt to ILB was an idea we’ve lobbed about...

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Watt to ILB is possible, but I'll assume they'll give Fort the opportunity

Expect to see Gay a lot on 3rd down.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Even when everyone was healthy, moving Watt to ILB was an idea we’ve lobbed about...
    Yep and I was one of the many who mentioned it as well. Give it a try!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

I have a hard time seeing them move Watt to ILB. He's a rookie who was drafted to be an OLB. Can't see them putting him there much.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    I have a hard time seeing them move Watt to ILB. He's a rookie who was drafted to be an OLB. Can't see them putting him there much.
    I agree

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Full time, maybe not.

But, Watt lines up there quite a bit already. He’s not playing the Derrick Thomas “hawk” position (yet), but give him a year, and that’s how I see him being used.

That said, that’s more for the distant & permanent future. For now, I expect a lot more 4-3, a lot more done with Gay as the ILB, and some Fort at ILB... and Watt at ILB (just a little more than he’s been doing).

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

I'd venture to say that they obviously have to get Harrison into the OLB rotation and possibly go with Chickillo to the inside instead of Watt as backup to Fort.

Prayers to Shazier... words (speculation) from some of the players were "spinal concussion".

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Moats has played ILB before. I'd say he's the backup to Fort.

So don't cross the Moats to get to the Fort.

Senior Member Array title="ETL has a reputation beyond repute"> ETL's Avatar

Give Fort a chance. He looked confused because he was - after not having played for a while

i think a week of reps with starters will help.

Moats should backup Fort

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Red looked terrible when he was out there. I like the moving TJ idea.
    He's a decent special teams player.....certainly not a defensive starter.....and a questionable backup at a key position.

Quote Originally Posted by ETL View Post
    Give Fort a chance. He looked confused because he was - after not having played for a while

i think a week of reps with starters will help.

Moats should backup Fort
    Forgot about that! Moats was a heck of an ILB in Buffalo.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Forgot about that! Moats was a heck of an ILB in Buffalo.
    Really?? I didn't think he played any ILB. He was drafted as a Defensive End from James Madison and because of his college resume and quickness, was drafted to convert to an OLB pass rusher like many undersized college DE's.

Anyways, I think the Steelers roll with who they have and will plan to go with Fort and Matakevich until Shazier is able to play again.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Really?? I didn't think he played any ILB. He was drafted as a Defensive End from James Madison and because of his college resume and quickness, was drafted to convert to an OLB pass rusher like many undersized college DE's.

Anyways, I think the Steelers roll with who they have and will plan to go with Fort and Matakevich until Shazier is able to play again.
    If Matakevich is going to be available... went out with a shoulder, so I was going with "what do we do" if he's out as well. I don't think you'd want to have to go with either of the LB's on the practice squad at this point. Jame Harrison has to be in the active rotation, then you move someone else to ILB.

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Not sure what the overall scheme was, but Buffalo yanked him around the formation. http://www.buffalobills.com/news/art...8-c648b3169965

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMember View Post
    If Matakevich is going to be available... went out with a shoulder, so I was going with "what do we do" if he's out as well. I don't think you'd want to have to go with either of the LB's on the practice squad at this point. Jame Harrison has to be in the active rotation, then you move someone else to ILB.
    True, but I think if Matakevich is out as well, they still are looking for ILB for 2 downs (Fort) and when they are in nickel or Dime, then they can actually play a safety in the box if needed. If Mitchell is back, then Bob Golden becomes the 3rd down LB, or Wilcox at 215Lbs probably isn't a bad move.

On the other hand, if they want more bulk, I think Chickillo is a likely candidate to play inside. He is a guy that played 5 technique DE in college and I think in highschool was more of a 4-3DE, so he is used to playing the run or pass for the past 10+ seasons of his football career and he has played in between the tackles, not just on the outside.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Since we play nickel somewhere between a third and half the time, simply switching from a 2-4-5 to a 3-3-5, effectively subbing Hargrave in for Fort or Maktavich, solves a lot of that problem.

On the other downs ... I thought Moats played both positions when we signed him, but he seems to be buried so far at the end of the bench that I forgot he's even on the team. I doubt that'll be the answer, they'll probably go with Fort, unsteady as that has looked.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

First, I'd go with moving TJ inside and give Deebo a helmet. Seems like the best (not ideal) option going forward.

IMO TJ and Deeb combo >>>Matakevich, Fort, or Moats getting a lot of snaps.

If TJ can't handle the inside spot reasonably well, then I'd look to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Since we play nickel somewhere between a third and half the time, simply switching from a 2-4-5 to a 3-3-5, effectively subbing Hargrave in for Fort or Maktavich, solves a lot of that problem.

On the other downs ... I thought Moats played both positions when we signed him, but he seems to be buried so far at the end of the bench that I forgot he's even on the team. I doubt that'll be the answer, they'll probably go with Fort, unsteady as that has looked.
    I like Fort, he is athletic and can tackle. I don't see a lot of better options other than Fort honestly, so if they can be healthy, then Williams and Fort, with one of them coming out in sub packages. I still think somebody gets elevated from the PS as a reserve, or else Deebo gets a hat and either Chick or Moats backs up inside too.