Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mike Tomlin: “We should win it all”

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Re: Mike Tomlin: “We should win it all”

Lol. I love that interview...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I was looking for the thread with Colin Cowhatred ripping Tomlin for looking ahead.

First of all... 3-0.

Secondly, the Taperiots are behind. Hmm... might they be looking ahead to next week??? Im sure theyll still win this game, but if not, people will rationalize this loss by saying: Belichick is a genius; he saved his teams energy for next week when it really matters (which, is actually a good gameplan, because tonights game has almost no bearing on the #1 seed).

Lastly, Cowherd swore that the Taperiots are up 14-0 at halftime in every game. Exaggerate much.

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I was looking for the thread with Colin Cowhatred ripping Tomlin for looking ahead.

First of all... 3-0.

Secondly, the Taperiots are behind. Hmm... might they be looking ahead to next week??? I’m sure they’ll still win this game, but if not, people will rationalize this loss by saying: “Belichick is a genius; he saved his team’s energy for next week when it really matters” (which, is actually a good gameplan, because tonight’s game has almost no bearing on the #1 seed).

Lastly, Cowherd swore that the Taperiots are up 14-0 at halftime in every game. Exaggerate much.

The Pats could not have a playoff bye if they lose against us next week since the Jaguars have the tiebreaker over the Pats .....

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    The Pats could not have a playoff bye if they lose against us next week since the Jaguars have the tiebreaker over the Pats .....
    If the Taperiots win on Sunday, the Dolphins loss means zilch.

But... if the Taperiots lose on Sunday, you are right:

Let’s say we beat the Taperiots... and, even if we lose to the Texans or Browns, we would still end up 13-3.

The Taperiots and Jaguars can only get to 12-4.

But, because the Taperiots lost to 3 AFC teams and the Jaguars only lost to two AFC teams, the Jaguars would hold the tie-breaker over the Taperiots... and would get the #2 seed.

So, assuming we win on Sunday... Go Jags!!!

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They need to man up and win. New England isnt that good talent wise. Other than Cooks Brady and Gronk, the rest of the team is suspect. If the Steelers lose, which I think they will, its going to be because of the coaching staff being out coached.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Wait. What?

While the secondary has had serious struggles this season, that is an impressive collection of impact talent. Gilmore/Butler/Chung/McCourty is nothing to sneeze at. On paper that is far better secondary than the Steelers role out. Luckily the games aren't played on paper.

While they lack the dominant lead back, their overall collection of talent at RB is impressive and well suited to their offensive system. Burkhead in particular has been a swiss-army knife for them just opening up mismatches against teams all year.

Unlike in years past, they lack true impact players on the defensive front 7. They have some interesting young guys, but most of their production is the result of scheme. So there, I agree with you. They are ordinary and the Steelers offensive line should be viewed as the superior unit.

New England has never been a star driven team. But to say that they lack talent -- that might be too far.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Is Chung hurt? He limped off in the 4th Q last night.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Is Chung hurt? He limped off in the 4th Q last night.
    That what they have been saying on the Pats boards..they're concerned.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 1.15.18

RAY FITTIPALDO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JAN 15, 2018

Ray Fittipaldo: Welcome to my Steelers chat. Let's get started.

Chowdah Mullaney: just seems like this all comes back to Tomlin . Great organizational talent engine, and absolutely pathetic coaching.

Chowdah Mullaney: all trolling aside, how much blame do you lay at the feet of the coaching staff? Pitt is far and away the most talented team in the NFL, but they are routinely unprepared, baited into stupid plays(how bout a QB sneak) of which they actually got away w a few today (2 4th down 40+ completions) and can’t focus on what’s in front of them. People around the Pats organization said all weekend “don’t be surprised if that jag team comes out and knocks pitt out”.

Ray Fittipaldo: Nice handle, Chowdah. I lay lots of blame at the feet of the coaches, and I start at the top with Mike Tomlin. When he did that interview with Tony Dungy and looked ahead to the Patriots Part I and Part II. That gave his players the freedom to do the same. It was inexcusable for him to do that and a fireable offense in my opinion. I don't know if the Steelers will hold him accountable, but he made an egregious error when he answered that question by Dungy. Haley isn't likely to return and I'm not sure about Butler either. But for me it starts and stops with Tomlin. This season was a bad reality show.

to read rest of article:

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201801150092

Senior Member Array title="plenewken will become famous soon enough">

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    Ray Fittipaldo's Steelers chat transcript: 1.15.18

RAY FITTIPALDO
    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
    JAN 15, 2018

Ray Fittipaldo: Nice handle, Chowdah. I lay lots of blame at the feet of the coaches, and I start at the top with Mike Tomlin. When he did that interview with Tony Dungy and looked ahead to the Patriots Part I and Part II. That gave his players the freedom to do the same. It was inexcusable for him to do that and a fireable offense in my opinion. I don't know if the Steelers will hold him accountable, but he made an egregious error when he answered that question by Dungy. Haley isn't likely to return and I'm not sure about Butler either. But for me it starts and stops with Tomlin. This season was a bad reality show.
    Totally agree with him.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Mike Tomlin: We should win it all

The 2017 team got 13-3 on talent alone. Better coaching takes them to a Super Bowl. Inferior Coaching resulted in a Divisional round exit to Blake Bortles and the Jaguars.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

At least they got some really nice AFC North Champs t-shirts and hats....

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

All right. All right. I'm gonna try and understand the argument. I will make an honest effort. But what I need is for someone to connect the dots for me.

Let's start at it being sometime in early November and the Steelers are 11-2 and Tomlin has a sit down with Dungy. Says whatever it was that he says - I honestly don't know because I didn't read or see it.

Then the Steelers go 2-1 in their last 3 games. Then Sunday happens. Okay. That's the starting sequence. Other information we know - the team played balls out against the Pats and almost won except for a questionable call. The team made a formidable and valiant comeback in the playoff loss.

So can anyone walk me through the causal links between comment and outcome?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The 2017 team got 13-3 on talent alone. Better coaching takes them to a Super Bowl. Inferior Coaching resulted in a Divisional round exit to Blake Bortles and the Jaguars.
    It might be coaching but perhaps as much in terms of managing the personalities in the locker room than just Xs and Os

Interesting quote from AV today

When Villanueva was asked whether the Steelers have the right makeup in their locker room, he answered a slightly different question. I feel like we have really good players, for sure, he said. Maybe its not just talent thats gonna get you to the championship. And maybe we need to find that out. But again, Im not a head coach either. Ive never won a Super Bowl. I dont know what it takes to win a Super Bowl....

I have a very good position coach in [Mike Munchak]. I spend a lot of time listening to him and making sure that Im ready to play every single game, he said. I like the culture. I like the Rooneys. Obviously, I love the head coach. I have a lot of respect for coach Tomlin, the way he goes about his business and what a great person he is, and what a great leader.

But theres a lot of things and players involved, players inclusive, that we have to change to take our game to the next level to be the dominant team that doesnt lose a game at home in the playoffs.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2018/01/15/alejandro-villanueva-steelers-jaguars-nfl-playoffs-2017/stories/201801150115

Based on that quote add AV to the list of those who do not go out of their way to express their respect for Haley

I bet DeCastro and AV have had some interesting conversations about all the unnecessary drama of the past season

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    It might be coaching but more in terms of managing the personalities in the locker room than Xs and Os

Interesting quote from AV today

When Villanueva was asked whether the Steelers have the right makeup in their locker room, he answered a slightly different question. “I feel like we have really good players, for sure,” he said. “Maybe it’s not just talent that’s gonna get you to the championship. And maybe we need to find that out. But again, I’m not a head coach either. I’ve never won a Super Bowl. I don’t know what it takes to win a Super Bowl.”...

I have a very good position coach in [Mike Munchak]. I spend a lot of time listening to him and making sure that I’m ready to play every single game,” he said. “I like the culture. I like the Rooneys. Obviously, I love the head coach. I have a lot of respect for coach Tomlin, the way he goes about his business and what a great person he is, and what a great leader.

“But there’s a lot of things and players involved, players inclusive, that we have to change to take our game to the next level — to be the dominant team that doesn’t lose a game at home in the playoffs.”

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201801150115

I bet DeCastro and AV have had some interesting conversations about all the drama of the past seasonBased on that quote add AV to the list of those who do not express their respect for Haley
    Indeed, and DeCastro, AV & Dobbs are probably the only three on the team that went to college to learn something other than football.

Senior Member Array title="hawaiiansteeler has a reputation beyond repute"> hawaiiansteeler's Avatar

Steelers vs. Jaguars: 4 Winners and 4 Losers in the Steelers’ season-ending loss to Jacksonville

By Jeff.Hartman
    Jan 15, 2018

LOSERS

Mike Tomlin

I am not one to blame coaches, but there were some huge decisions which came back to kick the Steelers in the behind. The worst decision of all, in my opinion, was the onside kick in the fourth quarter. It showed a genuine lack of trust in his players, and it ultimately gift-wrapped the win for the Jaguars. This wasn’t the only questionable decision, turning away points to go for it on fourth down, on more than one occasion, and at a time when the Steelers needed a prepared, and focused, start to the game, they were anything but — and that is a slap in the face of the man in charge.

to read rest of article:

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...ville-playoffs

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    All right. All right. I'm gonna try and understand the argument. I will make an honest effort. But what I need is for someone to connect the dots for me.

Let's start at it being sometime in early November and the Steelers are 11-2 and Tomlin has a sit down with Dungy. Says whatever it was that he says - I honestly don't know because I didn't read or see it.

Then the Steelers go 2-1 in their last 3 games. Then Sunday happens. Okay. That's the starting sequence. Other information we know - the team played balls out against the Pats and almost won except for a questionable call. The team made a formidable and valiant comeback in the playoff loss.

So can anyone walk me through the causal links between comment and outcome?
    OK - here goes

That Tomlin is Captain Ahab, the Pats are Moby Dick, and his fixation on slaying the white whale ultimately wrecked the season because it took the focus off what matters is winning the Super Bowl by taking care of business every week rather than beating the Pats while giving a green light to the players to express similar thoughts. The season became all about what the Steelers did against the Pats to the exclusion of everything else. It created a bad frame of reference for how to measure progress and success. For whatever reason the Steelers were catatonic for the start of yesterday's game - that would not have been the case against the Pats.

My view is what was really unforgivable was Tomlin gave Tony Dungy the quote not because Tomlin was keeping it real but because he wanted to show off on national TV while giving the man who gave him his big break into pro coaching an interview with sound bites that would get nationwide attention to benefit both Tomlin and Dungy.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

That's what Jalen Ramsey said.

OK - here goes

That Tomlin is Captain Ahab, the Pats are Moby Dick, and his fixation on slaying the white whale ultimately wrecked the season because it took the focus off what matters is winning the Super Bowl by taking care of business every week rather than beating the Pats while giving a green light to the players to express similar thoughts. The season became all about what the Steelers did against the Pats to the exclusion of everything else. It created a bad frame of reference for how to measure progress and success. For whatever reason the Steelers were catatonic for the start of yesterday's game - that would not have been the case against the Pats.

My view is what was really unforgivable was Tomlin gave Tony Dungy the quote not because Tomlin was keeping it real but because he wanted to show off on national TV while giving the man who gave him his big break into pro coaching an interview with sound bites that would get nationwide attention to benefit both Tomlin and Dungy.
    Sorry, while that is logical and coherent -- it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean I never played sports past high school, so what do I really know but when that whistle blew it wasn't hard to get motivated for whoever we played. Now my HS teams stunk and were always the underdog...

Anyway, I just don't see how some comments here or there are anything more than that. It isn't like folks were just playing video games and day drinking at the facility for the past two weeks.

But basically everyone seems to think that this was somehow either the major cause or largest contributing factor to the loss on Sunday - so I must be wrong and it is just my problem to try and wrap my head around it.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Maybe next year, this team can try not running their mouth to the press and not creating off-field drama

Sorry, while that is logical and coherent -- it just doesn't make sense to me. I mean I never played sports past high school, so what do I really know but when that whistle blew it wasn't hard to get motivated for whoever we played. Now my HS teams stunk and were always the underdog...

Anyway, I just don't see how some comments here or there are anything more than that. It isn't like folks were just playing video games and day drinking at the facility for the past two weeks.

But basically everyone seems to think that this was somehow either the major cause or largest contributing factor to the loss on Sunday - so I must be wrong and it is just my problem to try and wrap my head around it.
    It was not the major cause but it did not help.

At the highest level of any profession (and pro football is a pretty high level compared to other professions in terms of who is there as opposed to who wants to be there) giving up any edge can be catastrophic given the margin of error - Tomlin blunted his team's focus for non-Pats games by focusing on Pats games

My all time favorite stat about the focus of the 70s Steelers is not 4 Lombardis in 6 years - it is this

In their eight playoff years (1972-79), the Steelers’ record against teams with records below .500 is 59-1; until the Bengals upset them in 1979, they were 56-0.

https://www.si.com/2014/06/17/chuck-...h-man-not-myth

Chuck Noll had the Steelers in their prime focused every week - we all know that is not true with Tomlin

It was not the major cause but it did not help.

At the highest level of any profession (and pro football is a pretty high level compared to other professions in terms of who is there as opposed to who wants to be there) giving up any edge can be catastrophic given the margin of error - Tomlin blunted his team's focus for non-Pats games by focusing on Pats games

My all time favorite stat about the focus of the 70s Steelers is not 4 Lombardis in 6 years - it is this

In their eight playoff years (1972-79), the Steelers’ record against teams with records below .500 is 59-1; until the Bengals upset them in 1979, they were 56-0.

Chuck Noll had the Steelers in their prime focused every week - we all know that is not true with Tomlin
    I dunno. It is kinda a trying to prove a negative thing for me. Poor analogy, but it is where I am at. The only "proof" we have of the lack of focus charge is the general belief/sense by fans and talking heads that it is true. This is largely supported by quotes from players lifted out of context typically less than 12-24 hours after they have absorbed a massive emotional blow.

As for Noll, it is an amazing stat and truly worthy of appreciation. But the separation between a SB team and a sub .500 team prior to the salary cap had to be a yawning chasm compared to what it is today.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

There's something to be said for keeping your mouth shut. Coaches and players alike.

At this level, any mental edge can be huge.

This team didn't keep their mouths shut and it hurt them.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Or it could have all been just a huge, overhyped bullshit media construct. Occam's razor.

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

See your point, Dan, but it was also a different era.

"If I have to motivate you, I will fire you." - Chuck Noll

Once in a while I will watch one of the old Super Bowl games from the '70s and find myself refreshed that there was a dearth of celebrating compared to today's game, particularly after routine plays.

The Steelers lost 4 times this season:

3 times to the teams in the AFCCG
    1 time to the lowly Bears

I cannot defend the Bears loss, but those other 3 losses were to the two best teams in the AFC.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I cannot defend the Bears loss, but those other 3 losses were to the two best teams in the AFC.
    And one of those losses was a robbery by the officials...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    And one of those losses was a robbery by the officials...
    If Tomlin hadn’t talked about it, it wouldn’t have been overturned...

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    See your point, Dan, but it was also a different era.

"If I have to motivate you, I will fire you." - Chuck Noll

Once in a while I will watch one of the old Super Bowl games from the '70s and find myself refreshed that there was a dearth of celebrating compared to today's game, particularly after routine plays.
    That was also during the years when parity did not exist in the league. In this league, the margin between the best team and worst team is so small that literally two or three changes may shoot a team from worst to first in the NFL.

The heat on Steelers coach Mike Tomlin is justified up to a point

Yahoo Sports Charles Robinson

It is the incurable virus of the NFL, this January spate of second-guessing. Even in the league’s most celebrated tapestry of iconic head coaches, none has been immune to it. Not Vince Lombardi. Not Bill Walsh or Chuck Noll. Not Don Shula or Tom Landry. Not even Bill Belichick, whose unmatched career is pocked with trades that were (briefly) called into question, or failed draft choices that faded with time, or even the occasional team-related investigation by the NFL.

This is the reality that undoubtedly steadies Mike Tomlin and the Pittsburgh Steelers ownership now. The inescapable fact that even the most hardened dynasties in league history have not been immune to criticism. And in turn, the acceptance that some of that criticism was warranted. This is where the Steelers and Tomlin are situated, at the crossroads of failure and self-reflection. And that might be the best thing that could have happened to a franchise that showed signs of having gotten a little arrogant.

to read rest of article:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/heat-st...165848589.html