Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Worst NFL team ever? Let us truly embrace the Browns for their historic awfulness

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Worst NFL team ever? Let us truly embrace the Browns for their historic awfulness

We are witnessing history.
    In an NFL season much maligned for its poor quality of play and lack of compelling teams, and for the rapid decline of quarterback and offensive line play, there is still something pure and beautiful buried within the muck, at the deepest depths of the league, just waiting to be properly examined and explored. Sadly, it is not being given its due.

There is a football team flirting, again, with a perverse form of perfection that is almost being taken for granted nationally, rather than being put in its rightful, deserving, historic context. I'd argue that the Cleveland Browns are putting together the worst three-year run in NFL history -- including all existing franchises from 1920 until now. Of the 32 existing franchises, in every season they have played in every city they have played in, with every wacky nickname attached, no one has had a worse three-season run. And the best part is, you still have time to experience it, as these Browns aren't close to done, yet, I'd suggest. Just think about what they could still accomplish in their final six games, how far they could go to further distinguish themselves from the likes of the 1957-59 Chicago Cardinals (7-28-1) or 1940-42 Philadelphia Eagles (6-36-2).

The Browns have won just four times in over two-and-a-half seasons -- somehow accomplishing this in the salary cap era at a time when they amassed a stunning array of top-10 draft selections -- and are 4-38 since the start of the 2015 season. They are winless heading into Thanksgiving, again, in a season in which there seem to be no truly great teams (outside of the Patriots dynastic run), and with the AFC as weak as it's ever been. While most franchises in the NFL head down the holiday stretch assessing playoff permutations, with even 3-6 teams entering play last Sunday still very much alive, the Browns are left to ponder whether their .095 winning percentage over their past 43 games has them poised to go down as the worst NFL team ever. They still could go 0-16, with games at the Bengals and Chargers looming, then homes games against the Packers and Ravens, before finishing at the Bears and Steelers.

read more

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/w...ric-awfulness/

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Re: Worst NFL team ever? Let us truly embrace the Browns for their historic awfulness

I hate to kick a team when they're down, but.....

Member Array title="cheezheadsteeler is on a distinguished road"> cheezheadsteeler's Avatar

Re: Worst NFL team ever? Let us truly embrace the Browns for their historic awfulness

Fun facts. Since the start of the 2015 season, the Browns have had more starting QB's than wins.
    The last Cleveland QB to win a game on a Sunday was Johnny Football.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

It takes a lot of hard work to consistently be so terrible.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

If I tried to mess up so consistently I don't think I could manage the lack of concentration and organization. It's like a heaping garbage pile they keep adding to while it's on fire. Even the Pirates had a higher winning percentage when they were the worst in MLB for years.

If they moved the Browns to college they would still have problems.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't even root against them, I feel bad for them

worst team in a decade...2000's Lions or the 2010's Browns?

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    Would be a hell of a game, LOL

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

You could throw the 2006 Raiders in that mix too.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

The saddest part of all this is that the team in Baltimore should be in leaveland and the team in leaveland should be in Baltimore.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Broadcast it on Thursday night and call it The Toilet Bowl.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

You know what I find amusing is that this video has been up for over 12 hours and it still hasn't been pulled by the NFL when normally these things are pulled within minutes. They know that these two teams were so bad in '09 that no one would want to watch this again.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    You know what I find amusing is that this video has been up for over 12 hours and it still hasn't been pulled by the NFL when normally these things are pulled within minutes. They know that these two teams were so bad in '09 that no one would want to watch this again.
    If I'm remembering correctly(50/50), for that weekend, the Browns/Lions ended up being the most competitive and fun game to watch. I don't remember exactly if it was the 2009 season, but both were horrid but put on a scrappy show.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cheezheadsteeler View Post
    Fun facts. Since the start of the 2015 season, the Browns have had more starting QB's than wins.
    The last Cleveland QB to win a game on a Sunday was Johnny Football.
    That's truly amazing...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If I'm remembering correctly(50/50), for that weekend, the Browns/Lions ended up being the most competitive and fun game to watch. I don't remember exactly if it was the 2009 season, but both were horrid but put on a scrappy show.
    Yes,it was in 2009.

https://www.pro-football-reference.c...0911220det.htm

It's like Groundhog Day in Cleveland, reliving the same miserable season and same miserable outcome over and over and over and over again

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Larry Foote played for one shithole and played against another shithole and said to himself, "I'll play in Pittsburgh for free!"

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

They. Almost. Beat. Us.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    They. Almost. Beat. Us.
    In the first game of the year....And this is not change the fact,the Browns are 1-25 under Hue Jackson!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by GBMelBlount View Post
    They. Almost. Beat. Us.
    In 2009, the Stains did beat us. Sacked Ben 8 times in the infamous Thu night game where they unleashed.... a big turd.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

In the first game of the year....And this is not change the fact,the Browns are 1-25 under Hue Jackson!
    Contract extension! Not anybody just walks in there and gets a win after 26 tries.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I think Hue will keep his job. He has nothing to work with. I'm not sure how much of the draft problem falls on him, but they are even more pathetic than the Raiders at drafting... and that's hard to do!

The front office needs a good house cleaning... starting with the owner.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Hopefully Hue Jackson and Marvin Lewis are long lost brothers that keep their jobs in our division for a looong time.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Hopefully Hue Jackson and Marvin Lewis are long lost brothers that keep their jobs in our division for a looong time.
    LOL.... I'm hoping for the same thing !

If Hue has talent to work with and the front office is revamped to NFL standards, you might not want that. Just sayin'. Hue is not a dumb guy that isn't capable of running a team. He almost took the sorry ass Raiders to a playoff berth with just about the same talent level as the Browns.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

They actually aren’t playing terrible...but clearly not playing good enough to win either...lol.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    I vote that Hue and Marvin just trade jobs! That way we can keep them both in the division for years to come.

I think they both should be given an extension...they need time for the teams to “develop”.