Thread: Steelers’ Defense Continues To Prove Its Dominance

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Steelers’ Defense Continues To Prove Its Dominance

It hasn’t been perfect for the Pittsburgh Steelers’ defense. Missed tackles, communication breakdowns and some big plays allowed. But end of the day, they’re judged by one stat – points allowed. And man, this defense has excelled in that area.

For the year, they’ve allowed just 16.5 points per game, second best in the NFL. Over the last five, they haven’t given up more than 17 in any game, the first time they’ve done that since 2010 and one of four units to do so in 2017. And really, it’s a seven game streak considering 13 of the Jacksonville Jaguars’ points were courtesy of Ben Roethlisberger.

Use that sorta skewed stat and they haven’t had this points allowed streak since 2001. Before Tomlin, before Ben, before the Super Bowl runs in the mid-2000s. Heck, Kevin Colbert had just gotten his seat warm.

Thursday, containing a Titans’ offense that was so complex, so tough to prepare for wasn’t lost on the players.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Steelers’ Defense Continues To Prove Its Dominance

The showdown with "Mr. 22 TD, 0 INT against the Steelers" (Brady) is on the horizon. I hope they're ready.

Senior Member Array title="lipps83 has a reputation beyond repute"> lipps83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The showdown with "Mr. 22 TD, 0 INT against the Steelers" (Brady) is on the horizon. I hope they're ready.
    That's the test. Not the Kizers, Keenums, Brissets and other barely mentionables the defense has played this year. Stafford and Smith are the only quality QB's they have faced, and that isn't saying much. Mariota is getting there but has struggled somewhat this year.

Brady and Brady alone is the test. I wonder if this is the year they try something different against him?

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by lipps83 View Post
    That's the test. Not the Kizers, Keenums, Brissets and other barely mentionables the defense has played this year. Stafford and Smith are the only quality QB's they have faced, and that isn't saying much. Mariota is getting there but has struggled somewhat this year.

Brady and Brady alone is the test. I wonder if this is the year they try something different against him?
    Considering the Patriots are the singular team that I can say without question are the brick wall, it's more than a test.

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Restocked nicely using the draft. Playmakers and speed....a good combo.

Sean Davis is becoming a special player.

Up The IRONS! GO STEELERS Array title="Iron Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Iron Steeler's Avatar

We have faced garbage qbs all year. I think the defense maybe to full of themselves. If we did this to wentz, brees, rodgers, then I would be impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron Steeler View Post
    We have faced garbage qbs all year. I think the defense maybe to full of themselves. If we did this to wentz, brees, rodgers, then I would be impressed.
    You know, I keep hearing this. But I don't think it is reality. Take, for instance, ESPN's Total QBR ratings (which I think is a much better system than the normal QB rating).

Case Keenum is third.
    Alex Smith is eighth.
    Marcus Mariota is twelve.
    Matthew Stafford is thirteenth
    Blake Bortles is seventeenth.
    ________

So, giving a slight push to Bortles's numbers, we have faced a top 15 quarterback for this season in half of our games, and a top ten quarterback in 2 of those games (oh, and note, if you go by the Raw QBR before they adjust it, several of those QBs actually scored higher). So, I don't think I agree our defense has faced "nobodies" this year. Sure, we have faced Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but we're not going to face them every game, either.

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Tackling is still inconsistent at times, the busted coverage against the Colts gives em some worries, other than that yes, they look really good.

I'm ready to see how they look when the Pats come to town in December. That game could decide the #1 seed.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    You know, I keep hearing this. But I don't think it is reality. Take, for instance, ESPN's Total QBR ratings (which I think is a much better system than the normal QB rating).

Case Keenum is third.
    Alex Smith is eighth.
    ________

So, giving a slight push to Bortles's numbers, we have faced a top 15 quarterback for this season in half of our games, and a top ten quarterback in 2 of those games (oh, and note, if you go by the Raw QBR before they adjust it, several of those QBs actually scored higher). So, I don't think I agree our defense has faced "nobodies" this year. Sure, we have faced Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers, but we're not going to face them every game, either.
    Goes to show how bad Jeff Fisher is. Both Keenum and especially Goff are playing well.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post

Case Keenum is third.
    Alex Smith is eighth.
    ________

To some fans the others should be working at Wal Mart and wait to we face the God Brady!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Tom Brady is one of the BEST QBs in the history of the NFL. He's in the conversation with Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, etc. I don't like him any more than any other Steelers fan, but to compare Keenum or Bortles, or even Stafford to Brady, right now, is apples and oranges. Now that i have done the vomit inducing part, the real reason for this rant. Yes, the Pats will be a tougher challenge, in your heads, than the other teams we have faced this season, so far. I think the Jags are the best team we have faced, or will face this season, but that's just me i guess. I mean, it is a team sport, but i digress. However, I would like for all of the 'Brady ball washers' on here to go take a real look at this Steelers defense and what they have accomplished this season. Look at the improvements, the growth, and most of all, the dominance. Of course there is room to improve still, and it's just now getting cold, but you guys and your worship of all things Brady is really grating some nerves. HE should be more worried about this defense this year than us worried about him. What has he done this season that scares you? I'm talking here and now. What defense has he faced and picked on that is bringing what we will be bringing? You guys remember how it went the last time we faced him? So does this defense. They will be ready. They will be prepared. They will dominate his ass. Just stop with all the negativity(call it realism if it makes you feel better) and stop being so damn SCARED of a man. This TEAM will be ready.

This defense and this team will be judged on what they will do against the patriots!

This is the next step of this team!

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    This defense and this team will be judged on what they will do against the patriots!

This is the next step of this team!
    If you are judging a season on one game only, they will. I don't get that, will never get that, and have really had enough of that way of thinking. The Patriots do not decide anything.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Tom Brady is one of the BEST QBs in the history of the NFL. He's in the conversation with Montana, Bradshaw, Staubach, etc. I don't like him any more than any other Steelers fan, but to compare Keenum or Bortles, or even Stafford to Brady, right now, is apples and oranges. Now that i have done the vomit inducing part, the real reason for this rant. Yes, the Pats will be a tougher challenge, in your heads, than the other teams we have faced this season, so far. I think the Jags are the best team we have faced, or will face this season, but that's just me i guess. I mean, it is a team sport, but i digress. However, I would like for all of the 'Brady ball washers' on here to go take a real look at this Steelers defense and what they have accomplished this season. Look at the improvements, the growth, and most of all, the dominance. Of course there is room to improve still, and it's just now getting cold, but you guys and your worship of all things Brady is really grating some nerves. HE should be more worried about this defense this year than us worried about him. What has he done this season that scares you? I'm talking here and now. What defense has he faced and picked on that is bringing what we will be bringing? You guys remember how it went the last time we faced him? So does this defense. They will be ready. They will be prepared. They will dominate his ass. Just stop with all the negativity(call it realism if it makes you feel better) and stop being so damn SCARED of a man. This TEAM will be ready.
    Brady does NOT fare well when pressure comes up the middle. Ergo, here are my top five reasons that the Steelers will beat the Taperiots:

5. Vince Williams
    4. Ryan Shazier
    3. Javon Hargrave
    2. Stephon Tuitt
    1. Cam Heyward

If you are judging a season on one game only, they will. I don't get that, will never get that, and have really had enough of that way of thinking. The Patriots do not decide anything.
    It's not me

It's the media and fans who think that!

If we want to go to the super bowl, the team that the steelers probably have to beat, it's the pats and steelers have had a major problem against them for several years and everyone asks if the steelers can and will beat them !

The steelers can beat them, but they have to prove that on the field!

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    Brady does NOT fare well when pressure comes up the middle. Ergo, here are my top five reasons that the Steelers will beat the Taperiots:

5. Vince Williams
    4. Ryan Shazier
    3. Javon Hargrave
    2. Stephon Tuitt
    1. Cam Heyward
    Those are 5 very good and valid reasons.

5. Vince Williams
    4. Ryan Shazier
    3. Javon Hargrave
    2. Stephon Tuitt
    1. Cam Heyward
    Not true

It's not me

It's the media and fans who think that!

If we want to go to the super bowl, the team that the steelers probably have to beat, it's the pats and steelers have had a major problem against them for several years and everyone asks if the steelers can and will beat them !

The steelers can beat them, but they have to prove that on the field!
    Each season has it's own distinct flavor. Do not judge this team based on last season's failure. So many different things went into that one loss that had NOTHING to do with the team we were playing. As of today, the day that matters, we are healthy, more experienced, improving, hungry, more talented, and not the same defense that played last season. Let it go.

- - - Updated - - -

Not true

Okay PB, moving on. This is a pointless discussion.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Not true
    It’s true. Pressure from the outside versus pressure right up the middle is different. Brady eats up the outside blitz, but when a defender is in his face, he caves. It’s his one weakness.

The Texans in the AFC Dividional Round proved that.

The Giants in 2097 and 2011 did, too.

It’s true. Pressure from the outside versus pressure right up the middle is different. Brady eats up the outside blitz, but when a defender is in his face, he caves. It’s his one weakness.

The Texans in the AFC Dividional Round proved that.

The Giants in 2097 and 2011 did, too.
    It takes both...If Brady throw the ball quickly, the pass rush is useless.The coverage need to be great too.Same for the pass rush.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

5. Vince Williams
    4. Ryan Shazier
    3. Javon Hargrave
    2. Stephon Tuitt
    1. Cam Heyward

And if they get a good push up the middle and flush him out of the pocket, the edge players could clean up as well. It all works together.

- - - Updated - - -

It takes both...If Brady throw the ball quickly, the pass rush is useless.The coverage need to be great too.Same for the pass rush.

Yep. That's why it's such a team game. Good teams will find your weaknesses and exploit them.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Each season has it's own distinct flavor. Do not judge this team based on last season's failure. So many different things went into that one loss that had NOTHING to do with the team we were playing. As of today, the day that matters, we are healthy, more experienced, improving, hungry, more talented, and not the same defense that played last season. Let it go.

- - - Updated - - -

Okay PB, moving on. This is a pointless discussion.
    Each season has its own distinct flavor? Really, are the strongest teams in rebuilding mode every year or something. Not sure I see many QB, head coaching, GM, or owner changes on strong franchises like the steelers packers and patriots. The best indicator of the future is a body of work generated by events of the past. We suck against the patriots. We're still one of if not the most zone dominant defenses in the league. Brady eats zone defense for breakfast. Steeler fans including myself are tired of hearing it because its true. This season shows a lot more promise in beating them than we have in an eternity so there is reason for optimism.

Brady's apparent efficiency against pressure is definitely not something that makes me feel good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    Each season has its own distinct flavor? Really, are the strongest teams in rebuilding mode every year or something. Not sure I see many QB, head coaching, GM, or owner changes on strong franchises like the steelers packers and patriots. The best indicator of the future is a body of work generated by events of the past. We suck against the patriots. We're still one of if not the most zone dominant defenses in the league. Brady eats zone defense for breakfast. Steeler fans including myself are tired of hearing it because its true. This season shows a lot more promise in beating them than we have in an eternity so there is reason for optimism.

Brady's apparent efficiency against pressure is definitely not something that makes me feel good though.
    Yes, each season IS different. Past season's are not a very good indicator for the present. All you need to do is look around the league today. It's as plain and simple as that. Compare our defense today with last season's, purely on personnel, now on depth, now on team stats. Is AB, Bell, JuJu, and Bryant an upgrade over last season's weapons? People keep posting on here that we haven't faced a good QB yet. That's BS! By that logic, has Brady faced the Vikings or Jags defenses? They beat a good Texans team at home by 3pts, that's their biggest bragging right so far. They did beat the dumpster fire that is the Broncos last week, so I guess you can add that to the 'list'. So far we have beaten the Vikings, Ravens, and Chiefs.

The Rams, Vikings, Eagles, Saints, Jags, Titans, Falcons, Broncos, Texans, Bengals, Dolphins, Seahawks, Packers, and even the Ravens all call BS on last season equates to this season.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

All that really matters is points right? Or perhaps the best way to compare? Whatever it is sorta interesting...

Browns: 15.9 ppg scored 18 (+2.1)
    Vikings: 24.1 ppg (#10 in the league!) scored 9 (-15.1)
    Bears: 16.7 ppg scored 23 (+6.3)
    Ravens: 21.1 ppg scored 9 (-12.1)
    Jags: 25.1 ppg (#9 in the league?!) scored 30 (+4.9)
    Chiefs: 28.1 ppg (#5 in NFL) scored 13 (-15.1)
    Bengals: 16.6 ppg scored 14 (-2.6)
    Detroit: 27.1 ppg (#6 in the NLF) scored 15 (-12.1)
    Colts: 17.9 ppg scored 17 (-0.9)
    Titans: 22.2 ppg scored 17 (-5.2)

So if we total all that out I have the Steelers holding their combined opponents to 49.8 points less than their scoring averages. It gets even better if you figure the Jags scored on defense a few times.

Is this thing at mid 2000's levels? Nope. But is this a damn fine defense that has not yet hit its ceiling? Yes.

And I wanted to address the Patriots thing for a moment. But, Mojouw, this team doesn't play man coverage and Brady (as even you have argued!) is a zone beater! Certainly. But what is Belichick's core strength? Watching your game tape and identifying your strengths and weaknesses. He then alters his gameplan to take away your strengths and expose your weaknesses. So, if you can hold opponents below their offensive scoring averages and not give the evil hoodie game film on your man coverage schemes? Why the hell would you do anything else? Keep rolling zone until you don't have to. Pats can not really plan for what they don't know about. Strategy folks, strategy. You don't play your trump card until you need it.