Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cam Heyward could be Steelers first double-digit sack artist since 2010

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Cam Heyward could be Steelers first double-digit sack artist since 2010

It's not often we see players return from injury playing the best football of their career, but that's what is happening with Steelers defensive end, Cameron Heyward.

Heyward's been great throughout his entire career, but this year, coming off a season-ending injury in 2016, he's been out of this world. Believe it or not, Heyward is on pace to not only shatter his personal single-season sack record, but this pace puts him on track to be the first Steelers pass-rusher with double-digit sacks since 2010.

Let's take a brief look at how close the Steelers have come to this milestone since that year.

read more

http://www.steelcityunderground.com/...medium=twitter

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Re: Cam Heyward could be Steelers first double-digit sack artist since 2010

He's a All Pro player.

It would be laughable if he doesn't make the pro bowl.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He has been dominant all year

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Heyward and Tuitt are playing like beasts.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    He has been dominant all year
    Yes, but not that many watch the D line play and I hope he gets his due.

Similarly, Marcus Gilbert is having a great year as well(in spite of the hamstring injury) and he is Pro Bowl worthy IMO. The injury might keep him from 1st team all pro, but again I don't think many fans give him the credit for the season he is having....again.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Heyward has been Just Plain Nasty. Any update on what happened to him last night?

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FrancoLambert View Post
    Heyward and Tuitt are playing like beasts.
    IMHO these 2 together are the equivalent of having Quiver and Quake.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Heyward has been Just Plain Nasty. Any update on what happened to him last night?
    Must not have been terrible or we would have heard.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

No worries, he was back on the field for the last two series.....and that silly defensive celebration

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    "Bumps and bruises associated with football."
    -Cool Shades Press Conference

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I held my breath when Heyward was laying on the ground. I didn’t pay attention to the game again, until I saw him back on the field. Whew!!!

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    I held my breath when Heyward was laying on the ground. I didn’t pay attention to the game again, until I saw him back on the field. Whew!!!
    He was in the goofy celebration after the last pick.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkman View Post
    No worries, he was back on the field for the last two series.....and that silly defensive celebration
    Thanks. I couldn’t remember.

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    "Bumps and bruises associated with football."
    -Cool Shades Press Conference
    Lol. He just has a way with words.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    IMHO these 2 together are the equivalent of having Quiver and Quake.
    remember when we thought that Aaron Smith was the best 5 technique in the NFL but nobody gave him credit because they all run 4-3 defenses? I would make a case that both Heyward and Tuitt are better than Smith was. :jawdrop:

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    remember when we thought that Aaron Smith was the best 5 technique in the NFL but nobody gave him credit because they all run 4-3 defenses? I would make a case that both Heyward and Tuitt are better than Smith was. :jawdrop:
    I agree on Cam. Tuitt is one year away IMO.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post

Aaron Smith was a force of nature against the run. He was just so damn strong, had great technique, and was a tremendous player with a great motor.

Heyward and Tuitt are strong against the run, but they are both more athletic and better pass rushers.

It would have been interesting to see Smith play in this version of Steelers defense. He would also have more opportunities to rush the passer and been allowed to get more penetration in the current scheme.

All I know is that we are all very lucky to have had all of them. Heyward and Tuitt still have more work to do for their careers. Cam is now at his peak. Tuitt is going to still get better.

Good times!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Don't look now but Vince Williams has 6 sacks

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    Don't look now but Vince Williams has 6 sacks

The difference is that Williams is getting his sacks as a result of the scheme. He's usually coming unblocked or a blown assignment on the LB cross by an offensive lineman to get to the Qb. It's not like he's running over guards and tackles in 1-on-1 battles to get to the QB.

Good for him. He's making the most of his opportunities and getting quarterbacks flushed out of the pocket by a better pass rush, and a secondary that has been holding coverage much better to make quarterbacks hold the ball.

It's just a little different for a DL or Edge player with a 320 lb man in their face.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    The difference is that Williams is getting his sacks as a result of the scheme. He's usually coming unblocked or a blown assignment on the LB cross by an offensive lineman to get to the Qb. It's not like he's running over guards and tackles in 1-on-1 battles to get to the QB.

Good for him. He's making the most of his opportunities and getting quarterbacks flushed out of the pocket by a better pass rush, and a secondary that has been holding coverage much better to make quarterbacks hold the ball.

It's just a little different for a DL or Edge player with a 320 lb man in their face.
    Think about this, though...

Most pass-rushers get 45-50 opportunities per game to go up against those 320 lbs. behemoths; whereas, an ILB only gets 5-6 opportunities per game to rush the passer.

In other words, Vincenzo has had about 45-50 opportunities (about one game’s worth), and he’s gotten 6 sacks. That is pretty impressive.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Most pass-rushers get 45-50 opportunities per game to go up against those 320 lbs. behemoths; whereas, an ILB only gets 5-6 opportunities per game to rush the passer.

In other words, Vincenzo has had about 45-50 opportunities (about one game’s worth), and he’s gotten 6 sacks. That is pretty impressive.
    I agree. As fans we laud some and downgrade others using the exact same metrics. VW deserves his due.

I hear what you're saying.

I'm not bashing Williams. I'm simply explaining the differences in the way he gets them when someone introduced Williams into this thread about Heyward.

Heyward is having to defeat offensive linemen, track the quarterback, and then be able to bring him down. Williams is operating in space, but when he is engaged by an offensive lineman, he isn't able to defeat the block and get to the quarterback.

It's just completely different.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I agree. As fans we laud some and downgrade others using the exact same metrics. VW deserves his due.

They're not the same metrics. He's an ILB blitzing compared to guys that line up across from blockers. Scheme has gotten him most of his sacks.

Coaches deserve their due as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    They're not the same metrics. He's an ILB blitzing compared to guys that line up across from blockers. Scheme has gotten him most of his sacks.

Coaches deserve their due as well.
    To be clear I wasn't referring to ILBs and DEs, but specifically VW to Timmons and other ILBs. If sacks were so easy then why didn't LT put up numbers?

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    To be clear I wasn't referring to ILBs and DEs, but specifically VW to Timmons and other ILBs. If sacks were so easy then why didn't LT put up numbers?
    LT did put up similiar numbers. But yeah i agree to some extent, i mean wow. Never heard Lawdog get this kind of double standard on his ability to blitz. And yes, he certainly did pick up some beautified matchups with running backs. If anyone seriously thinks VDub isnt getting a ton of his pressures with savvy, they arent watching him play
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    LT did put up similiar numbers. But yeah i agree to some extent, i mean wow. Never heard Lawdog get this kind of double standard on his ability to blitz. And yes, he certainly did pick up some beautified matchups with running backs. If anyone seriously thinks VDub isnt getting a ton of his pressures with savvy, they arent watching him play
    The most sacks that Timmons ever had in a season was 7. He had 6 one other season and 5 twice. For VW to have 6 already in his first season as a starter is pretty damn good.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

To clarify...

Vincenzo was brought into the discussion, because he, too, could have double-digit sacks.

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    The most sacks that Timmons ever had in a season was 7. He had 6 one other season and 5 twice. For VW to have 6 already in his first season as a starter is pretty damn good.
    oh no doubt. it makes me wonder when the last time an ILB had double digit sacks is
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

To clarify...

Vincenzo was brought into the discussion, because he, too, could have double-digit sacks.
    Vince has been very underrated for a few years now.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

I was saying at the beginning of the season that I thought a lot of people would be pleasantly surprised at how well VW would play in LT's spot. Sure it was a bit rocky at first, but he has settled in nicely. Looks like the Front Office made the right move again.