Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cam Heyward could be Steelers first double-digit sack artist since 2010

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Re: Cam Heyward could be Steelers first double-digit sack artist since 2010

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    oh no doubt. it makes me wonder when the last time an ILB had double digit sacks is
    Right now, Vincenzo is tied for 18th place on the “league leaders” sack list. He’s the only ILB in the top 50.

Now, I’m going to Google the sack leaders from years past... (to answer your question).

2016: Benardrick McKinley led ILBs w/ 5 sacks.
    2015: Clay Matthews led ILBs w/ 6.5 sacks.
    2014: David Harris led ILBs w/ 5.5 sacks.
    2013: Karlos Dansby led ILBs w/ 6.5 sacks.

I’m going to stop there (for now).

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

VW has played better than I expected, I will admit that much. So much better that we haven't had a Matakevich discussion on here since around week 3/4. I credit a lot of that to our DL being a group of blocker eating monsters as well. This entire defense has impressed me this season. Still some room for improvement, but this unit has been fun to watch.

Cam has been on a different level since returning. I don't know if he spent much of his time in the film room while rehabbing, but it sure looks like it. He's in the backfield more consistently, and has been a bringer of chaos on nearly every snap. And I'm loving it.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

oh no doubt. it makes me wonder when the last time an ILB had double digit sacks is

Off the top of my head I would say Chad Brown. He was a weapon that got to the quarterback a lot while he was a Steeler. I haven't looked it up.

Senior Member Array title="pczach has a reputation beyond repute"> pczach's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pczach View Post
    Off the top of my head I would say Chad Brown. He was a weapon that got to the quarterback a lot while he was a Steeler. I haven't looked it up.

I looked up Chad Brown's career stats. He had 13 in 1996. I don't know if any others did it, I just looked up Brown's numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/player/chadbrown/2499824/careerstats

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I looked up Chad Brown's career stats. He had 13 in 1996. I don't know if any others did it, I just looked up Brown's numbers.

http://www.nfl.com/player/chadbrown/2499824/careerstats
    He played OLB that season.

Greg Lloyd went down (knee), and Brown moved over... and had an All Pro year.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

8.5 from the ILB position in 1994. Those 4 LBs from 93-95 were scary

Quote Originally Posted by tube517 View Post
    8.5 from the ILB position in 1994. Those 4 LBs from 93-95 were scary
    It was one of my favorite eras of Steelers football.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

You're right. I forgot about that.

He was a terrific pass rusher from the inside his entire career, even in Seattle.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's an interesting article on Vince Williams and his path with the Steelers. It's a couple weeks old.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...wrence-timmons

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    VW has played better than I expected, I will admit that much. So much better that we haven't had a Matakevich discussion on here since around week 3/4. I credit a lot of that to our DL being a group of blocker eating monsters as well. This entire defense has impressed me this season. Still some room for improvement, but this unit has been fun to watch.

Cam has been on a different level since returning. I don't know if he spent much of his time in the film room while rehabbing, but it sure looks like it. He's in the backfield more consistently, and has been a bringer of chaos on nearly every snap. And I'm loving it.
    Oh man, those were some good times . Nothing screams better than VW like making 10 tackles after 8 yard gains in that blowout loss to the Dolphins a season ago
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Oh man, those were some good times . Nothing screams better than VW like making 10 tackles after 8 yard gains in that blowout loss to the Dolphins a season ago
    I'm just going to pull this down. It was unnecessarily divisive and contributed nothing to the overall discussion.

It was an attempt at humor that was in poor taste and went down a road that is never constructive.

Apologize to everyone.
    Last edited by Mojouw; 11-19-2017 at 08:41 PM.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    There is nothing that almost all NFL fans, and Steelers fans in particular, love more than undersized, scrappy, and "heady" white middle linebackers. People lose their minds.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

There is nothing that almost all NFL fans, and Steelers fans in particular, love more than undersized, scrappy, and "heady" white middle linebackers. People lose their minds.
    I agree minus the White part.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    I agree minus the White part.
    Yeah. That was shitty comment on my part and was totally inappropriate. I'm going to pull it down.

Here's an interesting article on Vince Williams and his path with the Steelers. It's a couple weeks old.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.co...wrence-timmons
    Good read.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Yeah. That was shitty comment on my part and was totally inappropriate. I'm going to pull it down.
    No worries here, I get that its a comment that I never thought twice about. I think we have those guys like Brian Hinkle, Jerry Olsavsky, Patrick Bailey, Matakevich in mind more when we think of those type players. We could put guys like Larry Foote, Sean Spence in those categories as undersized and heady, but they were higher round draft picks and not likely seen as underdogs. Some sensitive times we live in and I appreciate you acknowledging your mistake.

As for this seeming notion that VW is a sack artist, meh. I haven't seen him beat anybody with any pass rush moves to get them, but rather some opportunistic blitzes. The fact is he is getting guys on the ground when he gets the chance on the blitz. I'm happy he has picked up his production in the run game, as there seemed to be a couple games that he was missing in action in the run defense earlier in the season.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Peter King in his MMQB column this morning

Cam Heyward is the most underrated great player in football. Hard for any Steeler to be underrated, but he’s the best all-around defensive lineman they’ve had since Aaron Smith—and Smith was underrated too.

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/11/20/lo...eter-king-mmqb

I sent an email to MMQB asking if it is hard for a Steeler to be underrated because they have a nationwide following or some other reason as well as whether there are other teams where it is hard for the players to be overrated or underrated because of the team on which they play. Will post any response that may be posted on MMQB.

Good Guys with Black Hats Array title="SteelMember has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelMember's Avatar

If Cam Heyward has a wallet, I bet it's the one from from Pulp Fiction that says "Bad MotherF#*@er"