Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Kozora: Antonio Brown Is The Greatest Receiver In Steelers’ History

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Kozora: Antonio Brown Is The Greatest Receiver In Steelers’ History

I’ll be honest with you, Steelers’ Nation. I’m not sure if this even qualifies as a controversial statement anymore. Certainly a debatable one, if for anything, because we live in a world that debates over the shape of the Earth. But this isn’t a statement that was necessarily cemented after last night’s victory. Heck, you could’ve made the point before this season even began.

But a ten catch, 144 yard, three touchdown performance is as good a time as any to bring up the point. Admittedly, I wasn’t alive to see John Stallworth and Lynn Swann on a weekly basis. Maybe I’m not the best champion to rank the all-time greats. But Antonio Brown’s greatness is plain for anyone to see, regardless of if you lived through the Steelers’ dynasty.

Brown is the greatest receiver to ever put on a Steelers’ uniform.

No disrespect to the other greats. And they were great. Hines Ward, his smile, his attitude, his blocking. Stallworth’s speed and the numbers he put up in a run-first era. Swann’s grace and ability to come through with a clutch play when it was needed the most.

But Brown? He’s on another level. He’s all of those things (ok…minus the blocking). He’s the best receiver in the league right now. I don’t know what else anyone who remains unconvinced needs. The best route runner. The best work ethic and attention to his craft. And the best when the play breaks down, traits he’s put on display the last two weeks. He could retire today and be a Hall of Famer. Top at his position for years, Brown’s already worthy of a gold jacket.

read more

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11...#disqus_thread

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Kozora: Antonio Brown Is The Greatest Receiver In Steelers’ History

He is saying from a quantifiable not necessarily from a qualifiable point of view. Don't get me wrong, I love AB, and I'm glad he's a Steelers, but the GREATEST for me, is Ward. He bled Black and Gold. He couldn't imagine playing any where else. Hell, he had a rule named after him. When he wasn't targeted, he when looking for someone to hit........just my opinion. A lot of AB, is about AB.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Brown is the best receiver I have seen since Jerry Rice, no joke. Maybe some others have had a higher peak for a year or two, but not by much, and Brown has never had a "down year" or any sign of slowing down. Amazingly, he's only getting better as time goes on, which is a rare sign of a truly great receiver.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He's been incredible since 2013, hopefully he keeps it up for a long time

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

I've made the argument before (not a very original one!) that Jerry Rice is the best football player ever. What he did and for how long he did it is simply amazing.

I'm not ready to have AB knock him off that pedestal yet -- but damn his #'s are insane.

I also can't get over the fact that a guy his size is basically Calvin Johnson open all the time. For those not familiar with my weird football terms that I only say in my head -- Calvin Johnson open is that you can catch any ball within 3 feet of you when covered by 3 guys or less.

For me, Jerry Rice is the best player in NFL history....It's going to be very hard for Brown to surpass Rice, but this is possible he become the 2nd best WR ever!

Let's hope he will not have a horrible QB after Roethlisberger's retirement but I believe Roethlisberger will play longer than the peoples thinks!

- - - Updated - - -

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    Brown is the best receiver I have seen since Jerry Rice, no joke. Maybe some others have had a higher peak for a year or two, but not by much, and Brown has never had a "down year" or any sign of slowing down. Amazingly, he's only getting better as time goes on, which is a rare sign of a truly great receiver.
    Exactly how I feel about him. I'm not really old enough to completely remember the 70's teams, but I remember all of Jerry Rice's career and AB is the only one to come close to that level of play and consistency.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

There have been a lot of GREAT receivers. Rice is #1 without argument. I don't know if I put AB at #2 yet, but he's in the conversation.

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    There have been a lot of GREAT receivers. Rice is #1 without argument. I don't know if I put AB at #2 yet, but he's in the conversation.
    Just curious, not looking for an argument or anything, who do you have a #2?

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    my 2 cents.....Don Hutson or Randy Moss

IMO, so difficult to compare guys from different era's and todays NFL is just a stat generator for WR's. All things being equal, I think you put Calvin Johnson, Randy Moss, or Larry Fitzgerald with Ben this long and I think they put up numbers like AB.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

year to year comparison, Brown is the greatest WR ever...however, as a career, Rice has him beat as of now. Rice had longevity. If AB can sustain and decline at a low rate like Rice did, he may get him...thing for most WRs is they just flat disappear. Brown isn’t “Most WRs” though. He’s clearly different.

Back to the Steelers though...I would LOVE to see Stallworth in today’s game. Out of all the players from the 70s, I think Stallworth is one that succeeded then and would succeed in today’s game as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

If AB performs at his current level for a few more years he can legitimately be in the conversation of the best receiver ever.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    That's tough to narrow down. Different eras, systems, QBs, the usual banter. I like Isaac Bruce(Memphis guy), Tim Brown, Larry Fitzgerald, and/or Marvin Harrison. Moss and Owens have the numbers to be in the conversation too, just not for me personally. Owens due to not being a good teammate, and Moss because he never stuck with a team. AB slides into the conversation for me because he has spent his entire career here, and consistently puts up competitive numbers. So really, AB, or any of the other guys I mentioned, could fit in at #2 without much argument from me.

Without his size, was Calvin Johnson really a dominant WR? I know, we could say the same for size or speed, but was he really a complete WR.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post

Back to the Steelers though...I would LOVE to see Stallworth in today’s game. Out of all the players from the 70s, I think Stallworth is one that succeeded then and would succeed in today’s game as well.
    I agree, I think Stallworth is the best WR in Steelers history. AB is making his case, but its difficult to compare the 2 era's. Would AB get manhandled, physically dominated and hurt in Stallworths time? Could Stallworth get separation from todays CB's that have been speed and strength training since they were 10 years old?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Two more years at this level and he’s #2 WR all time. It’ll take 10 more to top Rice.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    For me, Jerry Rice is the best player in NFL history
    One guy was just as dominant and walked away while still in his prime at age 29

With regard to the thread, IMO AB is the greatest Steelers receiver - his run over teh past several seasons is incredible

Thank you Mike Wallace for not signing the deal offered by the Steelers in 2012

Senior Member Array title="FrancoLambert has a reputation beyond repute">

Yep, as the best Steelers receiver. His skill set and athleticism are amazing. Throw in his work ethic, it's the icing on the cake.

But, John Stallworth at his peak, playing in today's game with today's rules.....you could make a valid argument.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

AB has Stallworth's workmanlike habits, but has made more mind blowing catches. Stallworth made some clutch catches, but nothing ever against his helmet. Swann was more acrobatic, but retired early because DBs like to head hunt him.

AB needs a couple of rings to go beyond personal statistics into legendary status. I have seen plenty of great players on stinky teams that only get honorable mentions in history. Once when they retire and once when they get a gold jacket. But to be best ever you need to be on a championship team.
    All Defense!

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

Agreed.

Also, I don't care for hearing about ring arguments, or how it is a different era. Greatness is greatness.

Brown will not catch Rice in terms of stats, the guy went from playing with Joe Montana to Steve Young ffs.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Yes he is the best Steeler WR and that says a lot. Give it another year and sports media and all will be calling him the next Jerry Rice.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackAndGold View Post
    Agreed.

Also, I don't care for hearing about ring arguments, or how it is a different era. Greatness is greatness.

Brown will not catch Rice in terms of stats, the guy went from playing with Joe Montana to Steve Young ffs.

I agree that the ring argument is a horrible argument!

Rod Woodson has never won a super bowl with the steelers in his 10 seasons but Woodson is considered as a top 10 steelers ever.

Brown had his moments in the big moments too .... The helmet catch in 2010 against the ravens and the immaculate extension last year in christmas(with a playoff spot on the line) was two huge moment for Brown!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

All due respect to AB, but the greatest WR in Steelers history for me is still John Stallworth. He remained productive (when healthy) even when the Steelers were stuck with the likes of Mark Malone and David Woodley under center.

AB has had a franchise QB (even though he has started to decline) his entire career up to now.

Stallworth also should have won the MVP for SB XIV (and I've even heard Bradshaw admit that).

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Some of you guys are going by man love and heck Swann was always my favorite and meant him. No question with talent and skills AB is the best. Stats prove it. He has been the best in the whole league for 4 years now.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    year to year comparison, Brown is the greatest WR ever...however, as a career, Rice has him beat as of now. Rice had longevity.
    I mean ... Rice's best year statistically was still more than Brown's, straight-up. And that was at age 33. When he was 40 he had like 100 fewer receiving yards than 25-year-old Randy Moss that same season and equal TDs.

It's not just longevity, it's like, 10 years of being as good or better than AB has been in the last 5, and then another decade of being a top-10 receiver. "Longevity" doesn't even begin to describe it, any more than it describes the way Wayne Gretzky dominated hockey. I love AB, but good as he is, the comparison right now is still not even close.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I mean ... Rice's best year statistically was still more than Brown's, straight-up. And that was at age 33. When he was 40 he had like 100 fewer receiving yards than 25-year-old Randy Moss that same season and equal TDs.

It's not just longevity, it's like, 10 years of being as good or better than AB has been in the last 5, and then another decade of being a top-10 receiver. "Longevity" doesn't even begin to describe it, any more than it describes the way Wayne Gretzky dominated hockey. I love AB, but good as he is, the comparison right now is still not even close.
    Yeah, he's not even in Rice's ZIP code yet. 22 TDs in a strike-shortened year (12 games)? I mean, c'mon.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yeah, he's not even in Rice's ZIP code yet.
    I think Brown is more explosive then Rice was and I watched Rice from the get go of his career. Rice's work ethic made him and guess what Browns is about the same.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    I think Brown is more explosive then Rice was and I watched Rice from the get go of his career. Rice's work ethic made him and guess what Browns is about the same.
    Yep, I saw Rice from the beginning as well. Brown has all the attributes, he just has to maintain it for another 10 years or so from now. Hence the "yet" in my comment.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yep, I saw Rice from the beginning as well. Brown has all the attributes, he just has to maintain it for another 10 years or so from now. Hence the "yet" in my comment.
    Yep like I said wait 1 more year and he will be called by the media the next Jerry Rice. Again I think Brown is more explosive player then him. Rice though was better catching the deep ball and was great at that.