Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kozora: Antonio Brown Is The Greatest Receiver In Steelers’ History

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Re: Kozora: Antonio Brown Is The Greatest Receiver In Steelers’ History

Fan I'm out of here and cool to Bs with ya. Have a great night and weekend!

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Let's see where he is at in a few years before comparing him to other WR greats. Let's see where he is at in 10 years before comparing him to Jerry Rice

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Yep, I saw Rice from the beginning as well. Brown has all the attributes, he just has to maintain it for another 10 years or so from now. Hence the "yet" in my comment.
    Agreed, JR was just somebody that defenses feared and he just kept making catches and scoring TD's. As much as I love AB, William Jackson III held him in check vs the Bengals and every time the Patriots just bracket AB and he is kept to minimal impact. He has a long way to go before being compared to Jerry Rice IMO. Stats-schmats.....I saw both and as much as I disliked the 49er fanboys of the era, Rice is the GOAT.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    That's tough to narrow down. Different eras, systems, QBs, the usual banter. I like Isaac Bruce(Memphis guy), Tim Brown, Larry Fitzgerald, and/or Marvin Harrison. Moss and Owens have the numbers to be in the conversation too, just not for me personally. Owens due to not being a good teammate, and Moss because he never stuck with a team. AB slides into the conversation for me because he has spent his entire career here, and consistently puts up competitive numbers. So really, AB, or any of the other guys I mentioned, could fit in at #2 without much argument from me.

Without his size, was Calvin Johnson really a dominant WR? I know, we could say the same for size or speed, but was he really a complete WR.
    That “Owens was a bad teammate” story is fake news...if he was such a bad teammate he wouldn’t have been in SF for so long, received an extension in Dallas and had most of his former teammates say he belongs there...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I mean ... Rice's best year statistically was still more than Brown's, straight-up. And that was at age 33. When he was 40 he had like 100 fewer receiving yards than 25-year-old Randy Moss that same season and equal TDs.

It's not just longevity, it's like, 10 years of being as good or better than AB has been in the last 5, and then another decade of being a top-10 receiver. "Longevity" doesn't even begin to describe it, any more than it describes the way Wayne Gretzky dominated hockey. I love AB, but good as he is, the comparison right now is still not even close.
    I’m not talking about Rice’s full career. I’m talking Rice’s first 8 versus Browns first 7.5. Brown is averaging more yards and receptions on a per game basis than Rice did. Its really the only stat you can use to compare the two through the first 8 seasons and It’s very comparable right now. If you want to include Rice’s 12 seasons that follow, then it’s not close...but that’s not really a fair comparison if you want to play the Brown vs Rice game at this stage. Rice had the longevity. He played at a high level throughout his whole career with maybe a little “lull”here and there but for argument sake, he was at the high level his whole career.

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

The Greatest... is such a subjective title. I love the receivers we have had and AB is Great in his own right.
    Ward played the position like no other, and took the WR role to another level. He may not have been the fastest or the flashiest of our receivers but his ability to hit defenders was 2nd to none and that helped get into their heads and take them out of the game.
    Stallworth was perfectly described by Fansince76. I also like how Facenda compared him to Tennessee sipping whiskey. Smooth with a strong finishing kick.
    Swann was at his best in the biggest games. He is the one who most draws comparisons with Rice. Not as long of a career, but played in a much more physical era.
    AB is still young in his career but Great route running and ability to be the go to guy has made him stand out. Plays big in big games. A major difference is that he is late in Ben's career all the others came at times when their best QBs where in their primes, so that is also a factor.

The GOAT way to early and way to subjective. Still a great article and love reading the discussion.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Best.......Greatest??? Two different things.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

When I used to watch Jerry, there were times when he seemed to be in a zone... and no one could stop him.

I’ve gotten that feeling with only a few other players:

-Larry Fitzgerald in the 2008 playoffs
    -Randy Moss (every other season LOL)
    -AB for 75% of the last 4 seasons

An analogy:
    Do you want your filet mignon with a baked potato, scalloped potatoes, pan-fried potatoes, or mashed potatoes?

(i.e. the sides barely matter)

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    The Greatest... is such a subjective title. I love the receivers we have had and AB is Great in his own right.
    Ward played the position like no other, and took the WR role to another level. He may not have been the fastest or the flashiest of our receivers but his ability to hit defenders was 2nd to none and that helped get into their heads and take them out of the game.
    Stallworth was perfectly described by Fansince76. I also like how Facenda compared him to Tennessee sipping whiskey. Smooth with a strong finishing kick.
    Swann was at his best in the biggest games. He is the one who most draws comparisons with Rice. Not as long of a career, but played in a much more physical era.
    AB is still young in his career but Great route running and ability to be the go to guy has made him stand out. Plays big in big games. A major difference is that he is late in Ben's career all the others came at times when their best QBs where in their primes, so that is also a factor.

The GOAT way to early and way to subjective. Still a great article and love reading the discussion.
    Great synopsis. I agree that Swann seemed to show up big in big games, but so did #82 and he seemed to show up every day, even with Stoudt, Malone, David Woodley throwing him the ball in the end of his career. Jerry Rice showed up every game, big game and like Teegre said, seemed to be in unstoppable zones at times, which I think was just his determination and years of working on his skillset. As a fan, I still see JR as the best ever, Stallworth was the best Steeler WR IMO, Ward my favorite and AB is putting up a resume to get one of those ugly yellow blazers.

BTW, you had me with the sentence that included Stallworth, John Facenda and sipping whiskey.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

AB has the looks of a first ballot HOF'er. It took Swann and Stallworth years to get in. Not sure that's the ultimate arbiter but it does give you a sense how they were viewed in their time. AB is going to be a first team all pro for the 4th consecutive year ( assuming he stays healthy). Combined Swann, Stallworth and Ward were 1st team all pro twice. Swann and Stallworth once each. Also AB has 5 pro bowl's to his credit, whereas Hines had 4, and Swann and Stallworth had 3 each. By all measurable stats AB runs away with it. ( best Steeler receiver ever) You could even make the argument that AB is tracking for being the best Steeler ever.

However there is more to it than just stats. I'm in agreement with several others on here who weighed in with Stallworth as the Steelers best receiver. Put it this way. He may niot have been the best, but he was the most talented. His skill set and physical tools would easily translate to today's game. In fact you could make the case he was born too early and also on the wrong team to display the full extent of his ability. ( sharing the field with the brilliant Swann, and being on a run first team).

Swann was also great, but he didn't sustain his peak for long enough to be considered with AB and Stallworth. But as an aside, no receiver I've seen could highpoint the ball better than Swann!

Ward was the all time grinder. A winner and a great player. But in this conversation he's 4th imo.
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    That “Owens was a bad teammate” story is fake news...if he was such a bad teammate he wouldn’t have been in SF for so long, received an extension in Dallas and had most of his former teammates say he belongs there...
    I honestly have no idea what 'story' you're referring to. I said Owens was a bad teammate because he was. His ending with the Eagles proves that. The 49ers did not want him anymore when he left and neither did the Cowboys. I'm not debating his worth as a receiver, he was top tier, and ALL WRs are selfish, but Owens took that to a different level. He loved me some me, and made sure everyone around him knew it. He was a jerk and people did not enjoy playing with him.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

All this talk about AB's greatness makes me wish for Steeldawg to be brought back

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    All this talk about AB's greatness makes me wish for Steeldawg to be brought back
    I've never seen anyone being wrong about a player like him in a forum (not only on this forum!)

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I've never seen anyone being wrong about a player like him in a forum (not only on this forum!)
    It wasn't so much he didn't like Brown, he just dug a hole for himself with Wallace. Instead of admitting that Wallace wasn't that good, he entrenched himself and defended Wallace to the end. Of course his best line was "Wallace isn't paid to jump".

If Wallace had 1/4 the work ethic that Brown does, he would actually be a good receiver.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Not yet.

All Defense!

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

I will take Swann and Stallworth.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    I think he moved on to where ever Wallace went. Steeldawg wasn't a Steeler fan.
    Hater = Realist

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Count Steeler View Post
    It wasn't so much he didn't like Brown, he just dug a hole for himself with Wallace. Instead of admitting that Wallace wasn't that good, he entrenched himself and defended Wallace to the end. Of course his best line was "Wallace isn't paid to jump".
    Quote Originally Posted by steeldawg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by steel striker View Post
    I'm glad Wallace is gone now and, he will realize how good he had it in the Burgh after this season.
    how good did he have it? The fans turned on him, we went to a dink and dunk offense, we finished 8-8 and he was making 2.9 million a year. Now hes in Miami, hes the man, and hes sitting on a 60 million dollar contract. Im just not seeing where hes going to miss being in the burg.
    Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    He's just lucky he was dealing with the Rooneys and not Kraft and Belichick - they would've cut him to the minimum $500k-and-some-change tender amount which the Rooneys had every right to do (but didn't) when he missed the June 15th deadline, and they would've done so without hesitation. He could've had it a LOT worse.
    Pffft ya im sure as hes sitting in his mansion on south beach hes reflecting on how good he had it making 2.9 million in Pittsburgh. Puhlease, the situation he went to in Miami was a much better career move for him.
    Quote Originally Posted by zulater View Post
    Career move? Word has it he went right out and bought a $600,000 Bentley. Wallace is one of those guys who will be broke within 5 years of leaving the league.
    So he bought a Bentley you have no idea what he does with his money or what preperations he made for his future. Yes he made the right career move by going to Miami, unless you think signing for significantly less money to stay in Pittsburgh for another year would have been smarter.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

If Brown had a career ending injury next week he'd still make the Hall of Fame. Not first ballot but he'd get in at some point IMO.

Senior Member Array title="JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue has a reputation beyond repute"> JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    If Brown had a career ending injury next week he'd still make the Hall of Fame. Not first ballot but he'd get in at some point IMO.
    Yep if they let Terrell Davis in why not ? I watched all the Steelers wr's over the years and some fans are just being nostalgic not admitting he is the best! He may be the 2nd or first best WR to ever play the game when his career is done.

Interesting thing about those numbers. If Brown keeps playing at the rate he is for the rest of this season, he'll end up with 593 catches, 7956 yards, and 53 touchdowns. That puts him beyond everyone by a 30 receptions and 400 yards. The only place he would trail is in TDs, beating only Calvin Johnson.

Quote Originally Posted by JimHarbaugh'ssoakedtissue View Post
    Yep if they let Terrell Davis in why not ? I watched all the Steelers wr's over the years and some fans are just being nostalgic not admitting he is the best! He may be the 2nd or first best WR to ever play the game when his career is done.
    I’m a Terrell Davis fan; that man shouldn’t be in the hall of fame.

I’m a Terrell Davis fan; that man shouldn’t be in the hall of fame.
    Davis got in because he got the Broncos over the hump for back-to-back Elway SB wins.
    All Defense!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Davis got in because he got the Broncos over the hump for back-to-back Elway SB wins.
    Which really isn’t a reason to put someone into the hall of fame.

Which really isn’t a reason to put someone into the hall of fame.
    I think he got a tv gig like the mushmouth horseface TE from the Ravens.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk
    All Defense!

Another thing to remember, or keep in the back of your mind, Rice went from Montana to Young to Gannon (in his prime) to Hasselbeck. That’s a pretty nice run to f QBs. Not sure Brown will be that lucky.

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Viking Adam Thielen is on AB's heels on receiving yards.

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    Viking Adam Thielen is on AB's heels on receiving yards.
    Thielen is a UDFA and big chance he will be a first team all-pro with Brown this year!

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Thielen is a UDFA and big chance he will be a first team all-pro with Brown this year!
    Wow, didn't know he was a UDFA!

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    Its the Gayle Sayers effect. He has 2 good season, 2 great seasons and then career curtailed by injury. But you are correct in that those resulted in 2 SB wins and likely got him over.