Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Haley Yells at People

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Haley Yells at People

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11...oethlisberger/

Now the story is that Haley was (or maybe still is?) yelling at another coach.

I honestly need some help understanding a few things with this story. Here is what I think I know:

1. Players coaches are not ideal because they spend too much time coddling the players. Makes everyone as soft as McDonald's ice cream.
    2. Yelling is good for a football team. Halftime speeches, locker room speeches, sideline tirades, etc. Fires folks up. Let's them know they are men and like raw meat, the smell of gunpowder, and violence in general. Hell yeah!
    3. Haley is an arrogant jerk who does not play well with others. I kinda think most have this sense about him along those lines.

Okay -- here is the part I don't understand. Why is Haley cursing out a coach, a QB, all of the coaches, the entire roster, the hotdog vendors, and a few lucky fans from section 219 a bad thing?

Team was playing like crap all day and couldn't seem to collectively organize their way out of a room with one door. So why not start yelling at people?

I know that every situation is different, but Tomlin is not good because he doesn't yell and Haley is not good because he does yell?

Again, I want to be clear -- this is not directed at anyone specifically. It is just kind of a broad brush type discussion after floating about the internets and Steelers related commentary today and Monday.

Senior Member Array title="SteeleReign is a name known to all">

Re: Haley Yells at People

It appeared to me at the time, that Haley was barking at Tomlin. While I prefer tough coaches that yell, I'm not sure that telling your boss to "shut the truck up" is a good idea.

Then again, if it puts Haley on the hot seat, maybe it helps?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11...oethlisberger/

Now the story is that Haley was (or maybe still is?) yelling at another coach.

I honestly need some help understanding a few things with this story. Here is what I think I know:

1. Players coaches are not ideal because they spend too much time coddling the players. Makes everyone as soft as McDonald's ice cream.
    2. Yelling is good for a football team. Halftime speeches, locker room speeches, sideline tirades, etc. Fires folks up. Let's them know they are men and like raw meat, the smell of gunpowder, and violence in general. Hell yeah!
    3. Haley is an arrogant jerk who does not play well with others. I kinda think most have this sense about him along those lines.

Okay -- here is the part I don't understand. Why is Haley cursing out a coach, a QB, all of the coaches, the entire roster, the hotdog vendors, and a few lucky fans from section 219 a bad thing?

Team was playing like crap all day and couldn't seem to collectively organize their way out of a room with one door. So why not start yelling at people?

I know that every situation is different, but Tomlin is not good because he doesn't yell and Haley is not good because he does yell?

Again, I want to be clear -- this is not directed at anyone specifically. It is just kind of a broad brush type discussion after floating about the internets and Steelers related commentary today and Monday.
    Because most fans, not just Steeler fans talk out of both sides of their mouths in my opinion. I think that the typical fan really doesn't know whats wrong with their team or how to fix it, so instead they say things like the team lacks discipline or the coaches should be playing player "x" and it will fix the problem. Usually they want the coaches to do the opposite of what they are currently doing, if the coach likes to yell, then he yells too much and can't relate to the players and if he isn't a coach who yells then he is a players coach and relates to well with the players and should be more of a hard ass.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Good responses. I kind of see the truth in both.

Personally, I don't care if there is the occasional outburst between coaches and players or even coaches and coaches. As long as it stays in the moment and isn't a signal of massive dissent and lack of communication - I think it can be a good thing.

Who knows? If Haley screaming at Mike is a glimpse of a deeper issue, then yes, we have a problem.

More than likely it was just a moment of heightened emotional stress. Nothing to worry about and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by SteeleReign View Post
    Who knows? If Haley screaming at Mike is a glimpse of a deeper issue, then yes, we have a problem.

More than likely it was just a moment of heightened emotional stress. Nothing to worry about and move on.

I completely agree with this. It makes the most sense without delving in to some weird conspiracies.

Quote Originally Posted by 43Hitman View Post
    I completely agree with this. It makes the most sense without delving in to some weird conspiracies.
    And I'm sure Tomlin is mature enough to see it for what it was, or wasn't.

Yeah - that's what I was getting at. In a weird way, I would rather have a head coach who is "okay" with an outburst here or there. Speaks to confidence.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I kind of equate it to parenting.

Yelling all of the time does NOT work. But, every once in a while, I have used my “daddy voice” to get something done.

YOU WILL GET YOUR PAJAMAS ON BY THE COUNT OF FIVE... 4... 3...

That said, what I did not use was demeaning and/or abusive language:

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

Yelling all of the time does NOT work. But, every once in a while, I have used my “daddy voice” to get something done.

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)
    Perfect sense!

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)
    Absolutely does.

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)
    Definitely. Although in the context of a "pro football team" I have no problem with the language. But, I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuggggggeeee fan of swearing. So my opinion is really biased!

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

It appeared to me at the time, that Haley was barking at Tomlin. While I prefer tough coaches that yell, I'm not sure that telling your boss to "shut the truck up" is a good idea.

Then again, if it puts Haley on the hot seat, maybe it helps?

Interesting.

I highly doubt he’d yell at the head coach, but then again, I never thought a person would steal the bathroom fixtures from a house.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

SHUT THE F*CK UP!!!

(Make sense?)

I don't know man. I tell my kids to shut the fuck up, they have their pajamas on in a split-second.

I tell them to put their pajamas on, and they clean the cat box.

You have to know which buttons to push.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="smokin3000gt has a reputation beyond repute"> smokin3000gt's Avatar

Interesting.

I highly doubt he’d yell at the head coach, but then again, I never thought a person would steal the bathroom fixtures from a house.
    we bought a home that was in short sale, offered full price and closed quickly. Before the closing they took the good appliances and replaced them with crappy craigslist appliances but the real kicker... they took the mailbox (plain black $15 at lowes mailbox) and left me with the post. I will never understand some people...

edit: plain*
    Last edited by smokin3000gt; 11-15-2017 at 12:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    Tomlin is that good.

PATRIOTS**

BUNGLES
    Steelers - 18 Bengals - 16 #0in25 #anotherseasonBungled

HTG Ī-

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    we bought a home that was in short sale, offered full price and closed quickly. Before the closing they took the good appliances and replaced them with crappy craigslist appliances but the real kicker... they took the mailbox (plane black $15 at lowes mailbox) and left me with the post. I will never understand some people...
    Lol... Pathetic

Interesting.

Obviously just speculation. It appeared to all of us at the time he was saying "Mike" but we'll likely never know.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

If the entire phrase Haley was yelling ended with, "call the play". I don't think he was talking to Tomlin. Or is there a different, current yell we're discussing?

("Shut up, Shut the f*ck up, 'name'. Call the play.") I thought he was saying Ben, or maybe man.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin3000gt View Post
    we bought a home that was in short sale, offered full price and closed quickly. Before the closing they took the good appliances and replaced them with crappy craigslist appliances but the real kicker... they took the mailbox (plane black $15 at lowes mailbox) and left me with the post. I will never understand some people...
    Yeah, that makes no sense. You gave them full price when you really had them over the coals. Some people...

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Definitely. Although in the context of a "pro football team" I have no problem with the language. But, I'm a huuuuuuuuuuuggggggeeee fan of swearing. So my opinion is really biased!
    I agree that the NFL coaches swear like sailors. Language is just words... emphatic words.

But, one can be derisive without using foul language... heck, one can do it without yelling.

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    If the entire phrase Haley was yelling ended with, "call the play". I don't think he was talking to Tomlin. Or is there a different, current yell we're discussing?

("Shut up, Shut the f*ck up, 'name'. Call the play.") I thought he was saying Ben, or maybe man.
    I thought he ended by saying "Mike." I have no idea, I can't even understand half the things my wife says right to my face.

Of course, that's probably because I was ignoring her, but whatever....

Quote Originally Posted by steelreserve View Post
    I don't know man. I tell my kids to shut the fuck up, they have their pajamas on in a split-second.

I tell them to put their pajamas on, and they clean the cat box.

You have to know which buttons to push.
    Dude, you can babysit my kids any time.

I thought he ended by saying "Mike." I have no idea, I can't even understand half the things my wife says right to my face.

Of course, that's probably because I was ignoring her, but whatever....

Lol, selective hearing...

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

That is/was absolutely what the Twitterverse was saying was the full phrase. And, the last part definitely points to BB being the target of that ire.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

That is/was absolutely what the Twitterverse was saying was the full phrase. And, the last part definitely points to BB being the target of that ire.
    He definitely wouldn't be yelling for Tomlin to 'call the play'. Either that's not what he said, or he was yelling at someone else.

He definitely wouldn't be yelling for Tomlin to 'call the play'. Either that's not what he said, or he was yelling at someone else.
    Additionally, there was the talk about how the formation was one that Haley had never had them practice... which would explain why they lined up twice (and still couldn’t get the correct formation).

BB walks to the sideline, questioning the play call.

Haley gets angry.

It simply makes sense that BB is the target...

Additionally, there was the talk about how the formation was one that Haley had never had them practice... which would explain why they lined up twice (and still couldn’t get the correct formation).

BB walks to the sideline, questioning the play call.

Haley gets angry.

It simply makes sense that BB is the target...
    Which makes it funny to me. - Ben questions the play because it's new and the offense has never run it as a unit. So the OC yells, just shut up and run the play? Umm, ok coach.....TADA!

Which makes it funny to me. - Ben questions the play because it's new and the offense has never run it as a unit. So the OC yells, just shut up and run the play? Umm, ok coach.....TADA!
    That is the entire first chapter in Haley’s new book:
    I Have No Idea What I’m Doing

That is the entire first chapter in Haley’s new book:
    I Have No Idea What I’m Doing
    Is that being published as a 'Golden Book'?