Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 7-2 with no complete team performance

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

7-2 with no complete team performance

The Steelers are 7-2, but the offense hasn't scored over 30 points yet, and just eeked out a win over the hapless Colts. However, Ben is starting to get some rhythm back, with two good games in a row.

Good in the idea that the team hasn't peaked yet, or concern that the team's record is a total fluke?

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Re: 7-2 with no complete team performance

I honestly think this is what this team is this year. They are not getting any better and they won't get much worse barring injury.

The offense is designed to be as good as the quarterback. Ben has to be better and I don't see that happening.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    I honestly think this is what this team is this year. They are not getting any better and they won't get much worse barring injury.

The offense is designed to be as good as the quarterback. Ben has to be better and I don't see that happening.
    I tend to agree that while improvement is possible it is not likely - there is a body of work that this is a mediocre offense.

In 2014 the offense did not get it together until late October with the emergence of Bryant but in that case Ben was still in his prime rather than just showing flashes of excellent play. It can be blamed on the receivers or Ben, but the deep throw can no longer be completed with any regularity and that has been a key component of this offense.

Add to that the running game and placing everything on Bell seeming to have hit a wall and it is getting late for the offense to find itself.

Assuming the Steelers do not lose twice before then, the New England game for home field advantage over the Pats and simply being able to convince the team it can beat the Pats is shaping up as one of the most important regular season games in recent years (the Christmas Day game against the Ravens last year was big but that did not carry the psychodrama and path to the Super Bowl implications of playing the Pats at Heinz in 5 weeks). After teh Steeler blunders and the Pats rolling over Denver the national media has the Pats as locks for going to the Super Bowl again.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

I don't think they are as good as their record. Too many ugly wins and an offense that hasn't done well at all.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

I'm not sure why everyone seems convinced we are that much head and shoulders better than everyone else. We are still very young and a fairly new team. I think we have achieved about as much success as we can expect right now. Young/immature WRs are not running the best routes, young/new to team DBs are making some growing pain mistakes, our TEs just simply are not good, the Oline has been patched together, It's really still just Ben, Bell, and AB. JuJu is showing a lot of promise but still growing into his role. Bryant has not made it back like we all hoped he would. Until this offense can gel, however long that takes is how long that takes, this defense is the unit that is winning us these games. I thought this offense would be much better than they are, it's just not. YET.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    I'm not sure why everyone seems convinced we are that much head and shoulders better than everyone else. We are still very young and a fairly new team. I think we have achieved about as much success as we can expect right now. Young/immature WRs are not running the best routes, young/new to team DBs are making some growing pain mistakes, our TEs just simply are not good, the Oline has been patched together, It's really still just Ben, Bell, and AB. JuJu is showing a lot of promise but still growing into his role. Bryant has not made it back like we all hoped he would. Until this offense can gel, however long that takes is how long that takes, this defense is the unit that is winning us these games. I thought this offense would be much better than they are, it's just not. YET.
    He is an easy target but Haley's play calling certainly does not help.

The screwups on the 2 point conversion that somehow was converted were a summation of the dysfunction on offense. According to a P-G article that for some reason was taken down, Haley called a play which used an unusual formation that had rarely been practiced, which resulted in players (Bryant was specifically cited) not knowing where to line up. In addition to Ben's clear exasperation as well as Haley's screaming, Tomlin overruling Haley and saying screw it we will go for two from the seven indicates nobody is certain of what to do at this point, which is not a good place to be 10 days before Thanksgiving.

And FWIW the defense doing a group pose in the end zone after the Shazier INT shows the lack of focus is not limited to the offense.

Senior Member Array title="steelreserve has a reputation beyond repute"> steelreserve's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

The screwups on the 2 point conversion that somehow was converted were a summation of the dysfunction on offense. According to a P-G article that for some reason was taken down, Haley called a play which used an unusual formation that had rarely been practiced, which resulted in players (Bryant was specifically cited) not knowing where to line up. In addition to Ben's clear exasperation as well as Haley's screaming, Tomlin overruling Haley and saying screw it we will go for two from the seven indicates nobody is certain of what to do at this point, which is not a good place to be 10 days before Thanksgiving.

And FWIW the defense doing a group pose in the end zone after the Shazier INT shows the lack of focus is not limited to the offense.
    I think this summarizes the situation pretty well. The team looks like it has the talent but just lacks cohesiveness. On offense more than on defense.

btw, going for it from the 7 was absolutely the right call. A one-point PAT would do literally nothing for us in that situation, and missing the two-point try wouldn't leave us any worse off. The only thing that would affect our situation was making the two-point try. I was SURE they were going to send out the field goal team after the penalty, but was very pleasantly surprised.
    See you Space Cowboy ...

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    The Steelers are 7-2, but the offense hasn't scored over 30 points yet, and just eeked out a win over the hapless Colts. However, Ben is starting to get some rhythm back, with two good games in a row.

Good in the idea that the team hasn't peaked yet, or concern that the team's record is a total fluke?
    I agree 100%... and have made similar posts in several threads.

If BB can be just a tad better, this team has the potential to go undefeated. And, by "a tad better", I mean the differences between the first half (3 points) and the second half (17 points) of the Colts game.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

This is what I said yesterday.

It’s been 9 weeks...if the offense hasn’t “gotten it together” by now, there’s not going to be any sort of high powered offense coming from this team. If anything, the offense is going to get worse due to the overuse of Bell. You could see the fatigue Bell is suffering from yesterday. He was very lethargic and appeared slower than normal.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post

They are more worried about celebrations than what it takes to play better. Our own arrogance will bite us in the ass again and the much more disciplined team (Pats) will prevail during regular season and again in the playoffs. There is a very real lack of discipline that nobody seems to talk about. We are getting by with just mere athleticism and not what beyween the ears. I hate the pats as much as anybody but lets face it they are almost always the most disciplined team on the field and very rarely beat themselves. Tomlin being a players coach is a double edge sword. Get along with the players but lack the focus/discipline.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array title="SteelMayhem72 has much to be proud of"> SteelMayhem72's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    This is what I said yesterday.

It’s been 9 weeks...if the offense hasn’t “gotten it together” by now, there’s not going to be any sort of high powered offense coming from this team. If anything, the offense is going to get worse due to the overuse of Bell. You could see the fatigue Bell is suffering from yesterday. He was very lethargic and appeared slower than normal.
    Totally agree with this. Bell needs a big breather and I would definitely let Conner play more. Bell will be worn out come playoff time and suffer an injury and be in the same shape as last year.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Conner can't/won't play more until he demonstrates he can pass protect.

Do people really think that players are missing assignments or reads because they are thinking about celebration moves? If that was the case, then no one could ever be good at NFL football. Things that are on every person's mind:

1. Is my significant other mad at me?
    2. Are my kids doing okay?
    3. Did I pay the cable bill?
    4. Wonder if my folks are going to be able to visit for the holidays?
    5. Is that mole cancer?

I mean I can go on and on. Everyone is distracted all the time.

As for the penalties, it is kinda surprising that everyone thinks this team is penalty prone. Here is the data -- http://www.nflpenalties.com/?year=2017

3 more penalties for less yards have been called on the Steelers than the Pats this year. What a total lack of discipline. For those that notice that NE has run 100 more plays than Pittsburgh it is still 4% to 3.6 % - again what a totally undisciplined team.

Perception is not always reality.

There is only one issue holding the 2017 Pittsburgh Steelers back -- their terrible 3rd down conversion rate on offense. Fix that and everything else doesn't matter. Don't fix that, and who cares about the rest because this team won't win shit in December and January.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelMayhem72 View Post
    Totally agree with this. Bell needs a big breather and I would definitely let Conner play more. Bell will be worn out come playoff time and suffer an injury and be in the same shape as last year.
    In his P-G chat today Ray Fittipaldo agrees on more Conner but also thinks it is more than fatigue with Bell

I want to see more of Conner. He has more speed to the outside ...

I'm not totally down on Bell. I just think Conner's ability to gain the edge is not something Bell can do at the moment. Looks like he's lost a step.

http://www.post-gazette.com/sports/s...s/201711130085

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

The Steelers are 14-2 in their last 16 regular seasons games, which is our best 16 games run since 2004-2005....In his 16 games, the steelers scored 30 points or more only once!

They are what they are, but yesterday were probably our worst game in offense since the disaster against the jaguars

Before that, the steelers were able to move the ball, but they were bad in the red zone.

I would not be surprised if the first time the steelers score 30 points be in the playoffs

Do people really think that players are missing assignments or reads because they are thinking about celebration moves?
    I think when you are doing a planned group celebration on a turnover that does not result in a touchdown your priorities are fucked up - that clearly was in the script for a TD and apparently they figured close enough

FWIW the relaxed group celebration rule Goodell announced earlier this year only applies to celebrating scores

We know that you love the spontaneous displays of emotion that come after a spectacular touchdown. And players have told us they want more freedom to be able to express themselves and celebrate their athletic achievements.

So here are a few examples of celebrations that will be allowed after scores under the new policy

http://epidm.edgesuite.net/CMS/NFL/C...er_Letter.html

Of course why would the Steelers worry for a second about some ref overreacting (as happened to Burfict yesterday) and being flagged for the turnover celebration when Bell did not ask whether using the goal post as a punching bag prop after his TD in the KC game could be penalized.

At some point the coaches cannot be expected to police everything.

Senior Member Array title="Moose has a brilliant future">

They are more worried about celebrations than what it takes to play better. Our own arrogance will bite us in the ass again and the much more disciplined team (Pats) will prevail during regular season and again in the playoffs. There is a very real lack of discipline that nobody seems to talk about. We are getting by with just mere athleticism and not what beyween the ears. I hate the pats as much as anybody but lets face it they are almost always the most disciplined team on the field and very rarely beat themselves. Tomlin being a players coach is a double edge sword. Get along with the players but lack the focus/discipline.

Right now I couldn't agree more. This team is as good as Ben, and this team will go as far as Ben takes it. If Ben get's injured....season is over. The example of the Pat's is right on. I hate the Pat's also, but let's face it, they are disciplined, always ready to kill and bury an opponent ( Denver at Denver). Their player's aren't spending their time and effort figuring what little 'play' to put on at the next TD ( if it happens). Sooner or later they may have to design a little 'play ritual' for a FG. Sometimes I think this team is more of a 'pretender' than a 'contender'. Haley is a joke, his play calling at times is asinine. Playing DOWN to teams is old crap. Their conservative play calling when finally getting a 10+ lead is a killer, and sometimes let's the opponent back in the game.....playing to NOT lose is asinine. If you can beat another team by 50 ...DO IT ! I'm to the point this year that every game scares the hell out of me. I could never bet on this team in any game....even Cleveland game. Hopefully they will get another cylinder firing within the next few games. Maybe Ben will start balling the way we know of him. Hitting all his receivers in the numbers constantly. Receivers trying to catch everything coming their way. Defender's actually wrapping a player and making a tackle. Defense getting OFF the field and the OFFENSE staying on the field. TD's in red zone each time there. This team's talent definitely has the potential to win out and stop the Pat's in the championship game, if it comes to that. But 'POTENTIALLY' being awesome has to become ' ACTUALLY' being awesome. GO STEELERS

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

I'm glad our games is Thursday this week!

Senior Member Array title="Psycho Ward 86 has a reputation beyond repute"> Psycho Ward 86's Avatar

Conner can't/won't play more until he demonstrates he can pass protect.

Do people really think that players are missing assignments or reads because they are thinking about celebration moves? If that was the case, then no one could ever be good at NFL football. Things that are on every person's mind:

1. Is my significant other mad at me?
    2. Are my kids doing okay?
    3. Did I pay the cable bill?
    4. Wonder if my folks are going to be able to visit for the holidays?
    5. Is that mole cancer?

I mean I can go on and on. Everyone is distracted all the time.

As for the penalties, it is kinda surprising that everyone thinks this team is penalty prone. Here is the data -- http://www.nflpenalties.com/?year=2017

3 more penalties for less yards have been called on the Steelers than the Pats this year. What a total lack of discipline. For those that notice that NE has run 100 more plays than Pittsburgh it is still 4% to 3.6 % - again what a totally undisciplined team.

Perception is not always reality.

There is only one issue holding the 2017 Pittsburgh Steelers back -- their terrible 3rd down conversion rate on offense. Fix that and everything else doesn't matter. Don't fix that, and who cares about the rest because this team won't win shit in December and January.
    and our red zone offense? Which was 31st coming into the Colts game and probably not any better with 2 red zone conversions.

If we dont use Conner to spell Leveon, we wont even have a Leveon to spell. And theres goes the season.
    Quote Originally Posted by XxKnightxX View Post
    We are not Buffalo, We are not Miami. We are the Steelers, we dont blow out teams, we cock tease for ratings and keep games close.

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

What a bunch of haters. This is clearly a complete team. They played like a well-oiled machine yesterday and all year.
    Hater = Realist

Senior Member Array title="Rotorhead has a reputation beyond repute">

Honestly it is just little things here and there from what I have seen. Take this last game, the first play was just taking a shot and hopefully catching the Colts sleeping, if that connects the game is completely different. AB dropping a wide open pass that hits him in the hands, another game changer and how often does that happen? Boz missing a FG, again rarely happens. The forward progress fumble/nonfumble? The good thing is we are fortunate enough so far to overcome those setbacks. Our biggest issues are once again the pass rush without the blitz. Watt has been pretty quiet lately, however with Tuitt back I feel that may change (edit the pass rush, not Watt necessarily). Dupree has shown more flashes, but is still inconsistent. The other issue is either the playcalling or the execution. Also, for ppl complaining about Outlaw, he catches almost everything thrown to him, and lately he is getting good YAC. Maybe his blocking is not up to par, but he certainly can be used to move the chains.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    and our red zone offense? Which was 31st coming into the Colts game and probably not any better with 2 red zone conversions.

If we dont use Conner to spell Leveon, we wont even have a Leveon to spell. And theres goes the season.
    3rd down stuff takes care of red zone. Convert those to either 1st downs or scores. Same thing in my mind.

Can't use Conner because he is a dead give-away. He can not play in the passing game. Almost every time they have tried it he has either led to Ben getting hit, a turnover, or he dropped the ball.

That's on Conner to get better and he hasn't.

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Can anyone look at our redzone trips and tell us how many of our offensive penalties occurred in the redzone?

Hell, if need be put Watson in there. How about a two back set and give it to watson or rosie nix. I mean i would have a few more options than there showing with just one back(bell) and everybody knows hes gonna run it. Our offense has become way to predictable and bell will get hurt at some point because of the predictability. We are using same ole formation time and time again that every team is seeing on tape over and over. Change it up, throw different formations in there that teams havent seen on film. Bell is basically getting teed off on because of a stacked box and all these hits are starting to accumulate. Its almost like he is being punished.

The instagram post earlier last week I dont think Bell is kidding about be over worked.It showed yesterday.

Senior Member Array title="cubanstogie has a reputation beyond repute"> cubanstogie's Avatar

The instagram post earlier last week I dont think Bell is kidding about be over worked.It showed yesterday.

I think they miss DeAngelo, especially in pass protection and receiving. Problem is if he doesn't get overworked then guys whining that we turned into passing team with best RB in league. It would be nice to win a couple laughers ending season so guys could get some rest. Home field in playoffs is so huge especially with our history going into Foxboro that guys won't be afforded much rest.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Ward 86 View Post
    They said that we were 32nd. Regardless, 31at/32nd... same difference. We are the WORST at scoring in the red-zone (despite getting there the 5th most).

...which is why I’m so optimistic. At some point, we HAVE to get better. In turn, those FGs will turn into TDs, and scores around 20 will turn into scores around 28.

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post
    They said that we were 32nd. Regardless, 31at/32nd... same difference. We are the WORST at scoring in the red-zone (despite getting there the 5th most).

...which is why I’m so optimistic. At some point, we HAVE to get better. In turn, those FGs will turn into TDs, and scores around 20 will turn into scores around 28.
    Another way to look at it....The Steelers haven't even started taking this season seriously yet, and lead the AFC. Once they get serious......

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Born2Steel View Post
    Another way to look at it....The Steelers haven't even started taking this season seriously yet, and lead the AFC. Once they get serious......
    Haha, that sounds about right. They will take it seriously in March. They will forget it in April and work on their celebration dances all off-season.
    Hater = Realist

Geno71

That doesn't sound like the words that a "fan" would say. Wouldn't you agree?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

No sure about that, but I know we can't get worse!