Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Heroes and Goats

Senior Member Array title="Butch has a reputation beyond repute"> Butch's Avatar

Re: Heroes and Goats

Hero - Ju Ju he was the only receiver in the 1st 1/2 to do much of anything and the only 1 to play a complete game. Ben and the D who played their parts in the 2nd half

Goats - Special Teams cost us big time this game 3 penalties on a single punt, blocked extra point, missed FG. Coaches for not being able to have this team ready to play from the start of the game.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    Goat Boswell
    Hero Boswell

To continue along those same lines...

Goat: BB in the first half.
    Hero: BB in the second half.

Goat: Coaches not having team up for first half.
    Hero: Coaches for inspiring team in second half.

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teegre View Post

To continue along those same lines...

Goat: BB in the first half.
    Hero: BB in the second half.

Goat: Coaches not having team up for first half.

Hero: Coaches for inspiring team in second half.
    Eh, Shazier missed tackles like Artie Burns in the first half. Not sure that is on the coaches. MB wants targets and on his first deep target, he fails to find the football and out jump Pierre Desir for the ball?? IMO, that isn't on the coaches, but players failing to execute their primary functions as football players.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson View Post
    Eh, Shazier missed tackles like Artie Burns in the first half. Not sure that is on the coaches. MB wants targets and on his first deep target, he fails to find the football and out jump Pierre Desir for the ball?? IMO, that isn't on the coaches, but players failing to execute their primary functions as football players.
    Welcome to the Official Ingrained Viewpoints section of this particular message board. While T is not a good representation of these view points, it is common practice to assume the following after any less than 2 TD Steelers win and all losses:

1. Positive things for the Steelers are the result of the players being really good. This has no relationship to anything the coaching staff does or says. For instance, Vance McDonald being wide open? Not a play design, but an amazing scramble drill by Ben and the TE.
    2. Negative things for the Steelers are the result of the coaches making bad calls, not enforcing discipline, being unprepared, allowing the team to lose focus, and calling the wrong plays. While the game apparently does have some loose connection to the players' actions - these are entirely dictated by the decisions and attitudes of the coaching staff. It is critical to recognize that the Steelers coaches are all arrogant, a bit lazy, and really obsessed with proving how smart they are with "splash plays".
    3. The performance of the Steelers is oddly unrelated to the performance of the opposing team. It is usually best practice to determine what the final score should be a few days before the game. Then spend the entire game complaining and blaming players and coaches if that outcome does not occur.
    4. Most negative Steelers outcomes (again, best defined as any game the where the team does not win by 2+ TDs) can be directly attributed to the coaching staff. I know. I know - players apparently are coached to over-run plays, miss tackles, take poor angles, and wander out of assigned gaps. Typically this is then compounded by a failure to make half-time adjustments. Honestly, I don't know how this team ever wins.
    5. Finally, pointing out anything outside these parameters will likely brand you as an apologist who refuses to see what more learned and discerning fans can see - that the Tomlin regime is an undisciplined arrogant failure engine that is periodically saved by the amazing players - who aren't really the right players anyway because we haven't talked about how crappy Colbert is at drafting yet...

If you can keep these basic principles in mind, then your time here at the forum will be much more enjoyable!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Welcome to the Official Ingrained Viewpoints section of this particular message board. While T is not a good representation of these view points, it is common practice to assume the following after any less than 2 TD Steelers win and all losses:

1. Positive things for the Steelers are the result of the players being really good. This has no relationship to anything the coaching staff does or says. For instance, Vance McDonald being wide open? Not a play design, but an amazing scramble drill by Ben and the TE.
    2. Negative things for the Steelers are the result of the coaches making bad calls, not enforcing discipline, being unprepared, allowing the team to lose focus, and calling the wrong plays. While the game apparently does have some loose connection to the players' actions - these are entirely dictated by the decisions and attitudes of the coaching staff. It is critical to recognize that the Steelers coaches are all arrogant, a bit lazy, and really obsessed with proving how smart they are with "splash plays".
    3. The performance of the Steelers is oddly unrelated to the performance of the opposing team. It is usually best practice to determine what the final score should be a few days before the game. Then spend the entire game complaining and blaming players and coaches if that outcome does not occur.
    4. Most negative Steelers outcomes (again, best defined as any game the where the team does not win by 2+ TDs) can be directly attributed to the coaching staff. I know. I know - players apparently are coached to over-run plays, miss tackles, take poor angles, and wander out of assigned gaps. Typically this is then compounded by a failure to make half-time adjustments. Honestly, I don't know how this team ever wins.
    5. Finally, pointing out anything outside these parameters will likely brand you as an apologist who refuses to see what more learned and discerning fans can see - that the Tomlin regime is an undisciplined arrogant failure engine that is periodically saved by the amazing players - who aren't really the right players anyway because we haven't talked about how crappy Colbert is at drafting yet...

If you can keep these basic principles in mind, then your time here at the forum will be much more enjoyable!
    Well written and concise guidelines, I like it!

nb. as a guy that has been on Steelers MB's, since the late 90's (I remember the sound of my 14.4 modem dialing to get on the web) I am well aware of the principles. Should almost etch these in stone and put somewhere for all to see.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

nb. as a guy that has been on Steelers MB's, since the late 90's (I remember the sound of my 14.4 modem dialing to get on the web) I am well aware of the principles. Should almost etch these in stone and put somewhere for all to see.
    Ahhhh....the modem sound...once the battle cry of the internet warrior.

Too few still know the struggle of the 14.4 modem and getting a busy signal on a phone - ever.

Now I feel old!

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I was the DC Saturday night for a youth football championship game that we got killed in. I’m pretty sure all those missed tackles were my fault.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

I get your point (and, I mostly agree with that viewpoint)...

But, if I am going to give credit to Tomlin for his halftime speech (which apparently was very good), then I also have to put some of the onus on the coaching staff for that miserable first half (players admitted that they were not fired up/felt like it wasn't even game day).

Coaches are like franchise QBs: both get too much credit for the things that go right, but also bear the burden of being lambasted for every single little thing when it goes wrong.

I get your point (and, I mostly agree with that viewpoint)...

But, if I am going to give credit to Tomlin for his halftime speech (which apparently was very good), then I also have to put some of the onus on the coaching staff for that miserable first half (players admitted that they were not fired up/felt like it wasn't even game day).

Coaches are like franchise QBs: both get too much credit for the things that go right, but also bear the burden of being lambasted for every single little thing when it goes wrong.
    I don't know much about his speech, but honestly if you have to "get your players up" before the game in the NFL....you probably need to release those players and find other professional football players with the internal motivation to play on Sundays.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    I was the DC Saturday night for a youth football championship game that we got killed in. I’m pretty sure all those missed tackles were my fault.
    True. Have you ever thought that ...."maybe the game has passed you by and you aren't the DC that you used to be"? Kind of like Richard LeBeau. :wink:

I don't know much about his speech, but honestly if you have to "get your players up" before the game in the NFL....you probably need to release those players and find other professional football players with the internal motivation to play on Sundays.
    Maybe. But, even Chuck Noll had to use a halftime speech every now & again.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

He did but he confused the hell out of the team

“Let me tell you a story about two monks who are on a journey. Some time during their journey they stop at a clearing, and in the clearing is a stream, and they stop at the stream. On the one side of the stream is a fair maiden trying to cross. And the first monk, without any hesitation, crosses that stream, picks up the fair maiden and carries her across and sets her down. The two monks carry on in silence. Sometime later on their journey they stop at another clearing. The second monk says to the first, ‘You picked up that maiden. Do you know it’s against our beliefs and our religion to come in contact and touch a person of the opposite sex?’ The first says, ‘I set her down back there, but you carried her all the way here.’ … I’ll see you guys tomorrow at 10:00 AM.”

We broke out of the huddle and walked back to the locker room and guys were like, "What the hell did he just say?" Eventually I figured it out: Our failures are back there. We move on.
    As told by RockY Bleier

https://www.si.com/2014/06/16/chuck-...burgh-steelers

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

This was a Chuck Noll halftime speech

Once, during the Steelers' dark losing days, Cornerback Lee Calland came into the dressing room at halftime weeping. He rose tearfully, dramatically, and began making a heart-rending appeal for a better second-half effort. "Shut up, Lee," said Noll, and Calland sat down and Noll fell to diagramming plays on the blackboard.

https://www.si.com/vault/1975/02/17/...rt-of-all-this

Geno71

Actually the exact words, according to Ray Mansfield were: "Lee, shut the fuck up and sit down."

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    This was a Chuck Noll halftime speech

Once, during the Steelers' dark losing days, Cornerback Lee Calland came into the dressing room at halftime weeping. He rose tearfully, dramatically, and began making a heart-rending appeal for a better second-half effort. "Shut up, Lee," said Noll, and Calland sat down and Noll fell to diagramming plays on the blackboard.

https://www.si.com/vault/1975/02/17/...rt-of-all-this
    True. 99% of the time, he didn’t say squat. (The same goes for Bill Belichick.)

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Goat: First Half Steelers

Game Ball: Second Half Steelers

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

I think both coaches and players have a part in it. How in the hell do the Steelers look like fools so many times and yet the Pats come off bye moving like a well oiled machine? The coach surely has a part in it. The players in NE buy into Bills system completely. Like it or not it works for them. No question players have to execute but there is more to it than Shazier & Burns missing tackles. The Steeler players not feeling like it's game day on game day has to do with coaching imo.

Ryan Shazier
    told Jeremy Fowler, “before the game some people even told me it almost didn’t feel like a game day”, implying that that many of his teammates were experiencing something of a post-bye hangover.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11...-game-day-bye/

Quote Originally Posted by Shoes View Post
    I think both coaches and players have a part in it. How in the hell do the Steelers look like fools so many times and yet the Pats come off bye moving like a well oiled machine. The coach surely have a part in it. The players in NE buy into Bills system completely. Like it or not it works for them. No question players have to execute but there is more to it than Shazier & Burns missing tackles. The Steeler players not feeling like it's game day on game day has to do with coaching imo.

Ryan Shazier
    told Jeremy Fowler, “before the game some people even told me it almost didn’t feel like a game day”, implying that that many of his teammates were experiencing something of a post-bye hangover.

Could also be that the Denver Broncos are clearly a team that has given up. I mean when your coaching staff betrays you by starting Osweiler at QB over literally any other option - well you know you have no chance at winning.

That being said, I see what you are getting at. At least they didn't lose this year?

I think both coaches and players have a part in it. How in the hell do the Steelers look like fools so many times and yet the Pats come off bye moving like a well oiled machine? The coach surely has a part in it. The players in NE buy into Bills system completely. Like it or not it works for them. No question players have to execute but there is more to it than Shazier & Burns missing tackles. The Steeler players not feeling like it's game day on game day has to do with coaching imo.

/
    You bring up some points that make me think Mojouw needs to amend post #64.

6. any poor performance by the Steelers should also carry the warning....."that would not happen in New England". (we can call it the Pats inferiority clause)

The Steeler players not feeling like it's game day on game day has to do with coaching imo.

Ryan Shazier

That is literally the quote to which I was referring.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Could also be that the Denver Broncos are clearly a team that has given up. I mean when your coaching staff betrays you by starting Osweiler at QB over literally any other option - well you know you have no chance at winning.
    As I mentioned elsewhere, the Broncos have lost FIVE in a row.

Moreover...

One loss was to the hapless Giants.
    One loss was a shutout against the pedestrian Chargers.
    One loss was a 51 point drubbing by the Eagles.

Geno71

Hero:

Ben, because he's Ben when Haley allows him to be.

Haley for junking his multi-TE/FB set in the 2nd half.

Shazier

JuJu

Goat:

Haley in the first half as well as his childish tantrum.

Burns

Brown for short-arming that pass.

- - - Updated - - -

As I mentioned elsewhere, the Broncos have lost FIVE in a row.

Moreover...

One loss was to the hapless Giants.
    One loss was a shutout against the pedestrian Chargers.
    One loss was a 51 point drubbing by the Eagles.
    These hicks out here at 3-1 were calling Siemian a future star.

Now they can't wait until they kick him out of town.

Btw, I really wish we would have taken a late round pick on Chad Kelly.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geno71 View Post
    Hero:

Ben, because he's Ben when Haley allows him to be.

Haley for junking his multi-TE/FB set in the 2nd half.

Shazier

JuJu

Goat:

Haley in the first half as well as his childish tantrum.

Burns

Brown for short-arming that pass.

- - - Updated - - -

These hicks out here at 3-1 were calling Siemian a future star.

Now they can't wait until they kick him out of town.

Btw, I really wish we would have taken a late round pick on Chad Kelly.
    Welcome back Crash.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

® Array title="Steeldude "> Steeldude's Avatar

Did you ever post or visit the Steelers MB on RealPittsburgh.com back in the late 90's?
    Hater = Realist

Quote Originally Posted by Steeldude View Post
    Did you ever post or visit the Steelers MB on RealPittsburgh.com back in the late 90's?
    I don't think so. I was on the MB at the Steelers.com site I believe, but got a short ban by their bots for writing "Dick" Lebeau. Then another for posting a vid of that dog in a sweater humping a Browns stuffed animal. Was the RealPittsburgh.com one full of insightful posts and optimism?

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

I don't think so. I was on the MB at the Steelers.com site I believe, but got a short ban by their bots for writing "Dick" Lebeau. Then another for posting a vid of that dog in a sweater humping a Browns stuffed animal. Was the RealPittsburgh.com one full of insightful posts and optimism?
    Steeldude wouldn't have been allowed there if so, lol.

Senior Member Array title="zulater has a reputation beyond repute"> zulater's Avatar

Hero's.

Ben. His first half wasn't nearly as bad as advertised. The Steelers didn't establish any offensive rhythm due to a handful of plays that were just slightly off. On the interception Ben couldn't step into the ball because he had a pass rushed come right into his face as he was delivering the ball. AB had an opportunity to make a game changing catch and pulled up on it. And on another 3rd down pass Ben and AB just missed splitting the seam by about a yard. ( the one AB caught out of bounds) All in all I didn't see Ben missing open receivers, making awful reads etc.. He only threw 9 passes, so seriously the level of ire directed towards Ben's first half was greatly exaggerated imo. In fact I would say the worst play he made in the first half was the first down fumble that cost the Steelers their best chance at a half ending touchdown.

In the second half not only was he statistically sound, he was also making quality throws. A couple of the seam passes that he threw to Ju Ju were vintage Ben. The kind of throws that haven't been in evidence most of the year. You can live without the deep pass if you can consistently drill that 15 yard seam pass like that.

Ju Ju. Not only his timely catches were a big factor but his downfield blocking and field awareness. To wit, on the last series, the two passes that set up the fg, the completion's to Martavis, and AB, Ju Ju was downfield and made great blocks in space that contributed to the length of the play. What was really impressive was that he was in an area where anything other than great technique draws the flag for an illegal block. Hard to describe, but if you have NFL rewind it's worth watching his contribution on those plays.

Jordan Berry. Best punting by him all season. He did a good job of flipping the field all game. Plus his pursuit on the blocked xp had a great deal to do with not giving up a momentum shifting 2 point defensive conversion.

Ryan Shazier. The interception was obviously a turning point play. And besides that he was buzzing around all game making plays.

Cam Hewward, and Stephon Tuitt. I put them together because they often are out there resembling a two headed monster! Great penetration all game, solid tackling. They dominate the LOS.

Goats.

T.J. Watt. His worst game as a pro. I can't speak how he was on coverage, as I don't subscribe to the all 22 on NFL rewind, but as far as his pass rush and setting the edge on the run, he was worthless this game. The Colts left tackle owned him all day. I really wish they would get James Harrison more involved.

Boswell. No blame to him on the missed xp, that was all on Jesse James. But you can't miss that fg in the 4th quarter! Indoors, no weather involved, perfect snap and hold . Could have cost the Steelers the game. Yes he split the uprights on the games final play. So credit to him for putting the miss behind him. So maybe we'll go half goat here?

Tomlin. Not for what you think. Yes the team came out flat. But obviously some decent halftime adjustments were made. (to his credit) What's pissing me off about Tomlin is how do you go this far into a season without having a freaking punt returner! Obviously AB doesn't have the heart for it anymore. He lets as many go as he fair catches, constantly costing the Steelers starting field position as one 40 yard punt after the other bounces another 10 yards after AB matadors another one! Find someone on the team or out there in free agent land that can field a punt and make a positive play occasionally!

Artie Burns. Got to quit living up to that name damnit! Gets himself lost out there at least a couple times a game and gives up huge plays. He's got solid skills and you can see him progressing, but damn when he screws up he really does it big time!
    "A man's got to know his limitations."

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    We poke and prod each other all the time (and have for a decade now), but come on, let's stop with the direct insults, shall we?
    Give me a break. I was just kidding. :-/