Thread: Report: Goodell seeks $50 million, private jet for life

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Report: Goodell seeks $50 million, private jet for life

Jerry Jones apparently has opened yet another new front in his assault on Commissioner Roger Goodell’s contract. Next step: Leak to the media what Goodell is looking for.
    ESPN reports that Goodell has requested in writing roughly $50 million per year, along with lifetime use of a private jet and lifetime health insurance for his family.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-jet-for-life/

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Re: Report: Goodell seeks $50 million, private jet for life

After I stopped laughing I would terminate him effective immediately. They could get a computer to do his job.
    All Defense!

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ALLD View Post
    After I stopped laughing I would terminate him effective immediately. They could get a computer to do his job.
    No doubt.

THESE guys could do just as good of a job as Goodell's done.

The NFL has continued to prosper in SPITE of Goodell, not because of him. He is EASILY the WORST commissioner in professional sports.

If anything, he should be BEGGING to keep his job, not making ridiculous compensation demands, especially considering the fact that he's FUBARed every decision he's had to make since Spygate.

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Screw Goodell. Send him on his way. It always pisses me off when these bozos making multi-millions of dollars every year expect someone else to pay for their health insurance. Pay for it your damn self!
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

He deserves to be serving people Big Macs and Fries

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    No doubt.

THESE guys could do just as good of a job as Goodell's done.

The NFL has continued to prosper in SPITE of Goodell, not because of him. He is EASILY the WORST commissioner in professional sports.

If anything, he should be BEGGING to keep his job, not making ridiculous compensation demands, especially considering the fact that he's FUBARed every decision he's had to make since Spygate.
    Those monkeys could actually do better

Senior Member Array title="Lady Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Lady Steel's Avatar

Goodell has got some nerve. What an insufferable asshole.

Maybe he should donate his "raise" to hurricane relief efforts.

1 at a time Array title="Count Steeler has a reputation beyond repute"> Count Steeler's Avatar

Good on Goodell. If the owners were dumb enough to hire him, they are dumb enough to pay him. I'm sure he justifies his ask with a formula attached to gross revenue for the league.

If the owners don't give a shit about the quality of the NFL, I don't give a shit about how much they have to pay their poster boy.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Looks like Jerrah might be making the most sense here...lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="JayC is a glorious beacon of light"> JayC's Avatar

fuck that guy.

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

He's a f**king clown!

I honestly don't think anybody outside of the owners like Goodell and probably not many of them either. How does he stay in the position?
    Last edited by ALLD; 11-17-2017 at 05:39 PM.
    All Defense!

After the last CBA, I said Goodell had just signed his ticket to a long tenure. Now, he's reaping the rewards. Football isn't a game. the NFL is a business, and he had led the business to the highest revenues ever seen. Of course, the last year or two is starting to see a decline. IMO, if the owners were smart (purely from a business perspective), they'd either make the contract contingent on fixing the issue, or make it shorter so they can review it in a couple of years.

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Jerry Jones - you've got mail

Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys’ owner, was told by his fellow owners that his “antics” were damaging the N.F.L. and reflecting “conduct detrimental to the league’s best interests,” another sign that the feud between Jones and his colleagues is not abating.

The comments, made in a letter sent to Jones’s lawyer, David Boies, and copied to the rest of the league’s owners, came a day after Jones said that he had no intention of backing down from his efforts to delay a contract extension for Commissioner Roger Goodell.

By including an accusation that Jones’s actions amounted to “conduct detrimental to the league,” the owners signaled that they were not ruling out pushing for sanctions against Jones...

In the letter sent on Wednesday, the owners on the committee said that they were unhappy with Jones because he had circulated a three-month-old document with details of requests from Goodell that Jones “personally knows to be an outdated, historical artifact of no relevance whatsoever in the context of these lengthy negotiations.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/15/s...tter.html?_r=0

So apparently the owners concede that Goodell did ask, in a "historical artifact," for $50 million and lifetime private air travel. Not a good look for Roger.

This is starting to get seriously ugly.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AtlantaDan View Post
    Jerry Jones - you've got mail

Jerry Jones, the Dallas Cowboys’ owner, was told by his fellow owners that his “antics” were damaging the N.F.L. and reflecting “conduct detrimental to the league’s best interests,” another sign that the feud between Jones and his colleagues is not abating.

The comments, made in a letter sent to Jones’s lawyer, David Boies, and copied to the rest of the league’s owners, came a day after Jones said that he had no intention of backing down from his efforts to delay a contract extension for Commissioner Roger Goodell.

By including an accusation that Jones’s actions amounted to “conduct detrimental to the league,” the owners signaled that they were not ruling out pushing for sanctions against Jones...

In the letter sent on Wednesday, the owners on the committee said that they were unhappy with Jones because he had circulated a three-month-old document with details of requests from Goodell that Jones “personally knows to be an outdated, historical artifact of no relevance whatsoever in the context of these lengthy negotiations.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/15/s...tter.html?_r=0

So apparently the owners concede that Goodell did ask, in a "historical artifact," for $50 million and lifetime private air travel. Not a good look for Roger.

This is starting to get seriously ugly.
    Shockingly a bunch of elite lawyers, CEO's hyper-rich owners, and whatever stratosphere class these jack-wads come from do not have realistic expectations about the value and worth of labor.

How in the world did I never see that coming?

Senior Member Array title="AtlantaDan has a reputation beyond repute"> AtlantaDan's Avatar

Here’s how NFL players are reacting to Goodell’s reported demands....

Ramon Foster - Steelers

"He wants guaranteed contracts. Think about the players and theirs also. He wants lifetime medical. Think about the players and theirs also. The jet, he can have that one. I couldn’t care less. I can fly Southwest or Delta.

"Think about how hard the negotiation is. That’s my best thing for him. Taste that, I guess. Now that the rabbit’s got the gun, he’s the rabbit and the owners have the gun.
    "I saw somebody said he probably shouldn’t make no higher than the highest-paid player. I think that’s pretty fair. I know owners can just tip him a half-a-million apiece and it’d still be frickin’ amazing. But he’s running a business, he’s a CEO, he’s making them millions, billions of dollars. So he can kind of access that salary, whether they pay him that salary or they pay him in bonuses."

http://www.espn.com/blog/nflnation/p...50-million-too

Of course Jerry Jones is telling the truth that going after Goodell is not about Elliott's suspension

Long ESPN article on the history between Goodell, Jones and other owners - Goodell got Jones support to be Commissioner back in 2006 after he muscled through a loan from the NFL when Jerry was having cash flows problems while building AT&T Stadium.

Jones reaction when told by Goodell of Elliott's six game suspension last August

"I'm gonna come after you with everything I have," Jones said. Then he mentioned Deflategate. "If you think Bob Kraft came after you hard, Bob Kraft is a p---y compared to what I'm going to do."

And with Jerry it is always safety first - Jerry on concussions

"This is a pimple on a baby's ass," Jones said, drawing an awkward silence from the room.

http://www.espn.com/espn/otl/story/_...er-jerry-jones

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

Bob Kraft is a pussy.

I’d pay big money to see Jerrah and Goodell go toe to toe in a no disqualification, falls count anywhere match.

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Old School Misfit Array title="silver & black has a reputation beyond repute"> silver & black's Avatar

I don't care for Jones, but I'm 100% behind him on this one.

I would let Jones appoint a new NFL owner's rep (commissioner). He know how to make money better than how to win football games.
    All Defense!

It would appear this is turning into a political campaign and Jerry Jones is being sent a message that if this continues the mud is going to be thrown

Dallas Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones apologized Friday after a 2013 video of him making a racially insensitive remark was published on the gossip website The Blast earlier in the day.According to The Blast, the video was shot at the Warwick Melrose - Dallas hotel by a white man who asked Jones if he would tape a message to his fiancée.

"Hey, Jennifer, congratulations on the wedding," Jones said. "Now, you know he's with a black girl tonight, don't you?"

The Hall of Fame owner then started laughing and the video turned to a black male, also laughing. Jones then turned away and exited, and the video ended.

Jones, through a statement issued by the Cowboys on Friday, apologized.

"That comment was inappropriate," he said. "It's not who I am, and I'm sorry."

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...nsitive-remark

IMO Jerry likes to drink, which can create problems since everyone has a video camera on their phone

Not to mention all of the sex pictures jones must have taken with NFL sluts over the years, but I still agree with Jones and don't care who gave him a bj in the owner's suite.
    All Defense!

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Additional information has also come out about the private jet. Apparently Goodell wasn't asking for use of a private jet for free. He was asking to be able to use it at the same price structure as the NFL pays. He's asking to be able to get their discounted rate.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Administrator Array title="fansince'76 has a reputation beyond repute"> fansince'76's Avatar

But he’s running a business, he’s a CEO, he’s making them millions, billions of dollars. So he can kind of access that salary, whether they pay him that salary or they pay him in bonuses."
    Well, no, Ramon, he's really not. The league has basically been on financial autopilot for years.

Now, when it's come to making important decisions regarding team discipline (Spygate, Bountygate, etc.) and player discipline (James Harrison, Ray Rice, player celebrations, etc.), he has consistently fucked things up royally which has often given the entire league a black eye.

Sure, everybody makes mistakes and NFL Commissioner is a tough job, but this guy has been TOTALLY inept.

Quote Originally Posted by fansince'76 View Post
    Well, no, Ramon, he's really not. The league has basically been on financial autopilot for years.

Now, when it's come to making important decisions regarding team discipline (Spygate, Bountygate, etc.) and player discipline (James Harrison, Ray Rice, player celebrations, etc.), he has consistently fucked things up royally which has often given the entire league a black eye.

Sure, everybody makes mistakes and NFL Commissioner is a tough job, but this guy has been TOTALLY inept.
    Not really.

Under Goodell, NFL revenue doubled from 6.6 billion to 12.4 billion a year (2015 numbers). SB ad prices have gone up 75 percent. Goodell has a vision to make the NFL revenue stream year around rather than just a summer and fall push. His goal? 25 billion a year in 2027. Add to that the CBA agreement in 2011 that, while being favorable to players in several areas, also included rookie salary caps and a ten year agreement, and what you end up with is the reality that we can say many things about Goodell, but discounting what he has done for the league financially isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Not really.

Under Goodell, NFL revenue doubled from 6.6 billion to 12.4 billion a year (2015 numbers). SB ad prices have gone up 75 percent. Goodell has a vision to make the NFL revenue stream year around rather than just a summer and fall push. His goal? 25 billion a year in 2027. Add to that the CBA agreement in 2011 that, while being favorable to players in several areas, also included rookie salary caps and a ten year agreement, and what you end up with is the reality that we can say many things about Goodell, but discounting what he has done for the league financially isn't one of them.
    We'll agree to disagree, then.