Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It is time for Steelers fans to give Mike Tomlin some credit

Senior Member Array title="polamalubeast has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: It is time for Steelers fans to give Mike Tomlin some credit

Quote Originally Posted by Moose View Post
    Agree ! Haley has no idea what to call and when. It's like he's not watching the game.
    I agree

A run play to start our no-huddle with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter was not acceptable...It was a 7-yard loss and it almost killed our drive and cost the win.

Not to mention the end around to Bryant in the second quarter who killed our drive

Attitude is everything Array title="SteelerFanInStl has a reputation beyond repute"> SteelerFanInStl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by polamalubeast View Post
    I agree

A run play to start our no-huddle with 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter was not acceptable...It was a 7-yard loss and it almost killed our drive and cost the win.

Not to mention the end around to Bryant in the second quarter who killed our drive
    That's called having zero faith in our offense. They also farted around and wasted 30 seconds out of the 2 minutes left on that first play. It was a minor miracle that we ended up scoring on that drive.
    I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play!- Jack Lambert

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerFanInStl View Post
    That's called having zero faith in our offense. They also farted around and wasted 30 seconds out of the 2 minutes left on that first play. It was a minor miracle that we ended up scoring on that drive.
    I think Haley wanted to trick the opponent, which is so frustrating!

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiiansteeler View Post
    why would anyone in their right mind give Tomlin any credit?

we're only 7-2, Bill Cowher would have had us at 9-0 rn
    True, Tomlin can only win with Cowher's players. (Ben, Peezy, Deebo,)

Senior Member Array title="steel striker is a name known to all">

Yeah lost my mind with some of the play calling like the run call on 2nd & 17??

Senior Member Array title="EzraTank has a reputation beyond repute"> EzraTank's Avatar

Watching the Pats roll the Denver defense on the road last night.

Until we beat them this team will always be a bride's maid.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Ezra Tank View Post
    Watching the Pats roll the Denver defense on the road last night.

Until we beat them this team will always be a bride's maid.
    Yep. The Patriots still look like Patriots, and I've seen nothing from this Steelers team that says that the December 17th matchup will be anything but another Brady masterpiece and another New England destruction.

Senior Member Array title="teegre has a reputation beyond repute"> teegre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Yep. The Patriots still look like Patriots, and I've seen nothing from this Steelers team that says that the December 17th matchup will be anything but another Brady masterpiece and another New England destruction.
    (This is not directed at you, Edman. But, your post reminds me of something that I've been meaning to say.)

What is interesting is that Steelers fans focus only on Steelers games. I get it. Who has time to follow another team as closely as your own? (No one.) But, if we look closely at the Taperiots this year, I honestly do not see a team as dominant as in years past.

We focus only on "Da Stillers lost to the hapless Bears!!!"... when the Taperiots were gifted their win against the Buccaneers (Nick Folk missing three FGs stole defeat from the jaws of victory).

We focus on "The Steelers barely beat the pitiful Colts and abysmal Browns!!!"... when the Taperiots had a legitimate chance of losing to both the Jets and Chargers (if not for a questionable non-touchdown and the brainfarting of the San Diego coaching staff).

We we focus on "The Ravens usually have our number, but we're lucky that they are having a down year"... when the Broncos defense has been the Achilles heel for the Taperiots (and, btw, the Broncos have lost five straight... so, it's not just the Taperiots who are beating them).

Et cetera... yadda-yadda-yadda... and so on.

Senior Member Array title="GBMelBlount has a reputation beyond repute"> GBMelBlount's Avatar

Very cool stat...timing is everything.

I think Tomlin has received his due props, for the most part.
    "With love, with patience, and with Faith
    ....She'll make her way" ~ Natalie Merchant

His comments are funny!!!!

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

In Noll's time, half the stuff the players are getting suspended for, wasn't even banned.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

His tweets don’t explain Tomlin’s Doghouse...

Quote Originally Posted by Dwinsgames View Post
    you are a Kenny Pickett enabler

Senior Member Array title="El-Gonzo Jackson has a reputation beyond repute"> El-Gonzo Jackson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 86WARD View Post
    His tweets don’t explain Tomlin’s Doghouse...
    His tweets are pretty narrow minded and show bias against Tomlin for whatever reason.

Comparing the 70's NFL and Noll to the current NFL is laughable. Were Unions different? Was salary structure different? Did the team/coach have more authority to cut guys and possibly have them blackballed for not jumping when the team said to?....I think so.

The notion that NFL coaches can discipline players and motivate by fear like in the 70's is silly. Modern sport psychology tells us it isn't the most effective anyways.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Well and dude is just straight up wrong and likely is too young to properly remember and too lazy to use the internet.

During the Noll era, almost nothing was banned so there is no point in comparing. Plus there is more than enough smoke out there to indicate that the top NFL teams of that era were walking talking pharmacies.

During the Cowher era (list is shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia) should be noted that the 1991 suspensions are not on Cowher but that is how they pasted in:
    October 31, 1991 6 games Tim Worley RB Pittsburgh Steelers [185]
    November 15, 1991 4 games Terry Long OG Pittsburgh Steelers [186]
    April 30, 1992 Entire 1992 season Tim Worley RB Pittsburgh Steelers [187]
    November 9, 1992 6 games Eric Green TE Pittsburgh Steelers
    October 23, 1995 4 games Joel Steed NT Pittsburgh Steelers
    December 4, 1995 Entire 1996 season Carlton Haselrig RB New York Jets I doubt he started doing drugs only when he left Steelers

September 1, 1998 4 games Paul Wiggins OT Pittsburgh Steelers [205]

Senior Member Array title="BlackAndGold has a reputation beyond repute"> BlackAndGold's Avatar

That is the reason why I don't have twitter, or better yet any social media accounts for that matter. Way to many stupid people on there.

Thread DeRailer Array title="tube517 has a reputation beyond repute"> tube517's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mojouw View Post
    Well and dude is just straight up wrong and likely is too young to properly remember and too lazy to use the internet.

During the Noll era, almost nothing was banned so there is no point in comparing. Plus there is more than enough smoke out there to indicate that the top NFL teams of that era were walking talking pharmacies.

During the Cowher era (list is shamelessly stolen from Wikipedia) should be noted that the 1991 suspensions are not on Cowher but that is how they pasted in:
    October 31, 1991 6 games Tim Worley RB Pittsburgh Steelers [185]
    November 15, 1991 4 games Terry Long OG Pittsburgh Steelers [186]
    April 30, 1992 Entire 1992 season Tim Worley RB Pittsburgh Steelers [187]
    November 9, 1992 6 games Eric Green TE Pittsburgh Steelers
    October 23, 1995 4 games Joel Steed NT Pittsburgh Steelers
    December 4, 1995 Entire 1996 season Carlton Haselrig RB New York Jets I doubt he started doing drugs only when he left Steelers

September 1, 1998 4 games Paul Wiggins OT Pittsburgh Steelers [205]
    Marvel Smith was arrested for marijuana but I cannot recall if he was ever suspended.

NFL's Dirtiest Player Array title="86WARD has a reputation beyond repute"> 86WARD's Avatar

It is time for Steelers fans to give Mike Tomlin some credit

All that list that n Cowher and no Bam Morris??

I miss Barry Foster and Bam Morris...

All that list that n Cowher and no Bam Morris??
    Yeah, no doubt. Comes into camp overweight and out of shape, then in the following offseason, gets busted for five pounds of pot and also cocaine in the car. Some might argue our releasing him instantly after he pled guilty was a sign of discipline, but don't forget this was just a year into the salary cap era when things were still being figured out.

Senior Member Array title="Edman has a reputation beyond repute">

Mike Tomlin shouldn't get much credit unfortunately. The Marcus Gilbert suspension says that, not to mention the Patriots bugaboo hanging over him.

Lets be real. New England is absolutely haunting this entire team, call it obsessed fans or whatever, but the Patriots are hanging something real bad on this team and it won't end until they beat them. Or at least stop looking completely outclassed and out of touch against them. December 17th is a very huge game, perhaps more massive than we imagine beyond mere playoff seeding.

Senior Member Array title="Mojouw has a reputation beyond repute"> Mojouw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Yeah, no doubt. Comes into camp overweight and out of shape, then in the following offseason, gets busted for five pounds of pot and also cocaine in the car. Some might argue our releasing him instantly after he pled guilty was a sign of discipline, but don't forget this was just a year into the salary cap era when things were still being figured out.
    Thanks to both you and 86WARD for pointing that out!

I'm sure there are other omissions. Point is this isn't some new thing particular to Tomlin.

Ghost Poster Array title="ALLD has a reputation beyond repute"> ALLD's Avatar

Mike Tomlin is a good HC. He needs to relax with all of the magnanimity and flowery language where he is trying to wedge his place into NFL history. Win more Super Bowls and your place will be everlasting.

Chuck Noll will probably be the greatest Steeler coach in NFL history. Todd Haley will be forgotten. Tomlin can still write his story if he puts more discipline on the team. Cowher had a great run and deserves all the credit he receives.
    All Defense!

I used to think this team was undisciplined. They seemed to have gotten that under control but the more you watch the NFL, is it really the team(s) being “undisciplined” or is it just the way today’s players are? I’m starting to believe that it’s more of the latter...any other thoughts?

I used to think this team was undisciplined. They seemed to have gotten that under control but the more you watch the NFL, is it really the team(s) being “undisciplined” or is it just the way today’s players are? I’m starting to believe that it’s more of the latter...any other thoughts?
    The lack of practice time and the reliance on cheap rookie contract players in the CBA and salary cap era creates younger teams with fewer "non-star" veteran players. In previous eras these were some of the core reasons for fundamentally sound mentally strong teams. Now those guys get pushed off the roster by younger and cheaper players. There are still vets, but they are largely the "star" players that may or may not be involved in policing the behavior and disciplined practice habits of individual position groups.

Really bad analogy, but each position group is a platoon. Due to the current roster trends in the league towards a 53 man group of high paid guys and then low paid guys -- they have pushed all the long time sergeants out of the platoon. Much of the institutional memory and leadership has gone along with it. So you have position groups that are like a platoon of privates and higher ranking officers (my analogy starts falling apart quickly since I am not from a military background).

Far smarter people than me have discussed how many players come from elite HS programs, then elite college programs, and then the NFL. Due to the pressures and increasing complexity of football played at "elite" programs, much of practice time - even at the HS level - is spent on specific weekly game plan installation. Leaving little time for players to be drilled and coached on core fundamentals. Again, I don't know as I don't coach or have contacts directly in that world - only repeating what I have heard. What I see a lot of people writing and talking about is that some of these players arrive in the NFL with an almost total reliance on pure athletic ability and instincts rather than a well-disciplined and honed understanding of fundamentals. Some guys, then learn those in the league (AB) while others try and get through on raw jaw-dropping physical tools (Martavis Bryant).

One other random thought, but how well are we all remembering other eras of the NFL? I remember a game against the Bills during the Cowher era where Lake, Woodson, Perry, and company literally knocked multiple Bills receivers unconscious. I also seem to remember that a few of those hits were flagged. No one cared because significant parts of the Bills offensive machine were now drooling into cups on the sidelines rather than running free in the secondary. Depending on your viewpoint that was "undisciplined". I think we remember the good things and not the 5 holding penalties in row drives and the head scratching choices of individual players from years gone by.

Quote Originally Posted by Edman View Post
    Mike Tomlin shouldn't get much credit unfortunately. The Marcus Gilbert suspension says that, not to mention the Patriots bugaboo hanging over him.

Lets be real. New England is absolutely haunting this entire team, call it obsessed fans or whatever, but the Patriots are hanging something real bad on this team and it won't end until they beat them. Or at least stop looking completely outclassed and out of touch against them. December 17th is a very huge game, perhaps more massive than we imagine beyond mere playoff seeding.
    Mike Tomlin should be judged for games vs. the Patriots at the same rate that Cowher was judged for games vs. the Patriots. For those of you who need a reminder, Cowher lost to the Pats* in the AFCCG in 2001 and 2004. They also lost in the first week of 2002 and the third week of 2005. Cowher's only win came in the reg. season in 2004. That is a 20 percent winning record. Tomlin's teams were 2-2 in their first four meetings. Then, we had the massive rebuild in 2012-2014 where we played them once and lost. Now, we've lost to them in the last three meetings. That's 2-6 for a 33 percent winning record.

Senior Member Array title="Hawkman has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Mike Tomlin should be judged for games vs. the Patriots at the same rate that Cowher was judged for games vs. the Patriots. For those of you who need a reminder, Cowher lost to the Pats* in the AFCCG in 2001 and 2004. They also lost in the first week of 2002 and the third week of 2005. Cowher's only win came in the reg. season in 2004. That is a 20 percent winning record. Tomlin's teams were 2-2 in their first four meetings. Then, we had the massive rebuild in 2012-2014 where we played them once and lost. Now, we've lost to them in the last three meetings. That's 2-6 for a 33 percent winning record.
    Thanks for pointing that out.

It definitely is true.

Fans on this board are already looking a few weeks ahead to the Patriots game and obsessing about it. All that really matters is winning the next game, winning the Division and getting into the playoffs. If they can be healthy its a bonus, and if they can get as many home playoff games as possible that too is a plus.

Mike Tomlin can only worry about the guys he coaches and I bet that is all that he does worry about. He cant control what the opposition does, but he can control how prepared his team is for what the opposition can do. The guy is one of the top 5 coaches in the NFL right now, I am glad he is the Steelers coach and we will see what gameplans they can come up with when they make the playoffs.