Thread: Keith Butler Explains Why He Rushes Three

Senior Member Array title="Shoes has a reputation beyond repute"> Shoes's Avatar

Keith Butler Explains Why He Rushes Three

It’s arguably the biggest source of frustration for Pittsburgh Steelers’ fans. Anytime Keith Butlersends three, check Twitter out and you’ll see a sea of hate. It’s something he did a ton in the last game against the Detroit Lions, constantly rushing just three against Matthew Stafford, to mixed results. Speaking with reporters yesterday, Butler explained why and when he likes to rush the minimum.
    http://www.steelersdepot.com/2017/11...-rushes-three/

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Re: Keith Butler Explains Why He Rushes Three

You know what else flusters a QB? Less time in the pocket. Rushing 3 and playing soft as shit is a losing strategy, especially against real QBs.

Honestly, the 3 man rush which was extensively used in Detroit didn't work. They only won because they were bailed out by a morbidly inept franchise that has found ways to lose and set benchmarks for futility for 60 years now. A real team would have ran away with that game.

I really don't want to play New England in the postseason, because Butler will still end up doing this same soft crap AGAIN and they will get picked apart as a result AGAIN

Senior Member Array title="Dissolv is a splendid one to behold"> Dissolv's Avatar

You know what. It did work. I was surprised by the 3 man rush myself, but they won the game, and the defense was clearly the better half of that game, as they have been all year. Just because it may not be the right tool for the job that you are worrying about, does not mean that it wasn't the right call at the time. Butler has the young squad, the non-superstar squad, and he's got them playing far above what just about anyone predicted. Seems to me that he has earned more than automatic criticism.

For your bugaboo, Brady, he is vulnerable to rushes right up the middle, into his grill. This sounds great, except you have to have the personnel and scheme to do that. It's easy to just call out "do this, it works!", but it's not Madden. For the games against superstar QB's, you really can't count on any defense shutting them down. Not from any team's defense, not these days. The Offense has to also play defense, by keeping the ball for extended periods of time, and scoring a high number of touchdowns per drive. Ours is absolutely failing to perform that second task, and that's where we are vulnerable. Not because the defense runs a particular scheme that you may or may not like.

Here's the scores so far this year:

If we lose, it will be because bs like this. I mean 9 points when you have Brown AND Bell? The team has until playoffs to sort this out, luckily. Although Dec. 17th against the Patriots could be playing for homefield advantage. I do not see our 20.875 average being enough to protect our defense against any team with a top shelf quarterback, not too many injuries, and a couple of playmakers. A touchdown or two, or three will get through. Add in a special teams or defensive score, and we are done. On average we do not score 3 TD's.

This has been our problem, and the D has carried us. Let them rush one guy if they want, so long as they produce like they have been.

Dissolv

Senior Member Array title="Born2Steel has a reputation beyond repute"> Born2Steel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post
    You know what. It did work. I was surprised by the 3 man rush myself, but they won the game, and the defense was clearly the better half of that game, as they have been all year. Just because it may not be the right tool for the job that you are worrying about, does not mean that it wasn't the right call at the time. Butler has the young squad, the non-superstar squad, and he's got them playing far above what just about anyone predicted. Seems to me that he has earned more than automatic criticism.

For your bugaboo, Brady, he is vulnerable to rushes right up the middle, into his grill. This sounds great, except you have to have the personnel and scheme to do that. It's easy to just call out "do this, it works!", but it's not Madden. For the games against superstar QB's, you really can't count on any defense shutting them down. Not from any team's defense, not these days. The Offense has to also play defense, by keeping the ball for extended periods of time, and scoring a high number of touchdowns per drive. Ours is absolutely failing to perform that second task, and that's where we are vulnerable. Not because the defense runs a particular scheme that you may or may not like.

If we lose, it will be because bs like this. I mean 9 points when you have Brown AND Bell? The team has until playoffs to sort this out, luckily. Although Dec. 17th against the Patriots could be playing for homefield advantage. I do not see our 20.875 average being enough to protect our defense against any team with a top shelf quarterback, not too many injuries, and a couple of playmakers. A touchdown or two, or three will get through. Add in a special teams or defensive score, and we are done. On average we do not score 3 TD's.

This has been our problem, and the D has carried us. Let them rush one guy if they want, so long as they produce like they have been.

Dissolv
    Honestly, I made the point for the entire offseason that we would need to score 30pts per game because teams will score on us. Fortunately I was wrong for most of the games so far. Our WRs need only run their routes, and we will be fine. Versus the Pats, or anyone.

Senior Member Array title="st33lersguy has a reputation beyond repute">

Quote Originally Posted by Dissolv View Post

Dissolv
    And the best QB they've played so far this year torched the D for over 400 yards. Aside from Stafford, the best QB they've played is noodle armed Alex Smith.

Senior Member Array title="DesertSteel has a reputation beyond repute"> DesertSteel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by st33lersguy View Post
    And the best QB they've played so far this year torched the D for over 400 yards. Aside from Stafford, the best QB they've played is noodle armed Alex Smith.
    How many points did Stafford put on the board??

Senior Member Array title="43Hitman has a reputation beyond repute">
    3 Reel Treasure Slots Champion!

Quote Originally Posted by DesertSteel View Post
    How many points did Stafford put on the board??
    That would be zero Alex...err I mean What is zero?